Categories > Celebrities > My Chemical Romance > You're the one that I need, I'm the one that you loathe

Whiskey Shots and Cheap Cigarettes

by XenaTheBean 1 review

Two kids in school with a bottle of whiskey sure aren't a good combination.

Category: My Chemical Romance - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama - Warnings: [?] - Published: 2013-11-18 - Updated: 2013-11-28 - 2750 words

0Unrated
Frank used to be okay with going to school. That was back in the days when Gerard rarely paid attention to him and said nothing more than the rare insult or sarcastic remark. But now, Frank hated the thought of school every day. Especially now that he was doomed to a week of cleaning up after school with the jerk. It was Thursday – the first day of Frank's sentence. As his alarm clock rang, Frank groaned and buried his head into his hands.

“Fuck my life.” he sighed, as he sat down for breakfast after getting ready.
“Language, Frank.” his mom tutted, barely registering his remark.
He looked down at the plate of toast in front of him. Seeded brown bread – they'd run out of white. Was the whole world against him? He stayed sitting, staring at the food in front of him when there was a knock at the door. His mom left to answer it. “It's Mikey,” she yelled. What the fuck? Mikey never called for Frank in the mornings – he lived on practically the other side of town. “What?” Frank said in confusion. He got up to greet Mikey. “Guess what?” Mikey asked enthusiastically. But he didn't wait for Frank to answer. “Look outside.” Mikey said. Frank sighed irritably. It was going to be something stupid. But outside, on the road was a battered old black car. It look ancient – it was some sort of muscle car. “And?” Frank asked, wondering why Mikey was getting so worked up about some random stranger's vehicle. “It's mine!” Mikey squeaked excitedly.
“Since when did you learn how to drive?” Frank asked.
“Gee taught me like a year ago. But this is my cousins old car – he was selling it for really cheap and I had enough money saved from my Summer job. Isn't it awesome?” Mikey said happily.
“Yeah, and it explains why you came all the way over here to meet me for school.” Frank said.

Frank was silent for pretty much most of the short journey. He was still in a bad mood. “Jesus Christ Frank if you're grumpy because of my brother again, I swear... Seriously though, just don't let it get to you. He's got detention or something all week so you're safe to come round mine after school!” Mikey said.
“Yeah, thing is Mikes, I happen to have detention with your brother. Y'know, punishment for the fight?” Frank replied sarcastically. Thinking about it just worsened his mood. “Why do you have to be so goddamn upbeat all the time, do you not get it? I'm really starting to hate this shit hole.” Frank ranted.
“Oh, big deal Frank, you don't get on with my brother. Oh wow, not getting on with someone sure is a reasonable excuse to be so bitter and depressing all the time.” Mikey snapped.
“Y'know what? Fuck you.” Frank practically screamed as the car pulled up. Frank jumped out and slammed the door before the car had even finished moving.

Gerard, Billie and Lisa had stopped what they were doing to watch Frank. “Someone's on their period.” Billie sniggered, watching Frank storm past.
“Watch out Billie, don't annoy him because he might embarrass himself by pathetically trying to attack you.” Lisa laughed. But no-one laughed along with her, so her laugh trailed off and she looked at Gerard expectantly. “And the funniest part is, the midget actually thinks he can be intimidating.” Gerard shouted, so that Frank could still hear. Frank just flipped them off and continued walking. He entered the main building then kicked a locker locker really hard with his foot. Converse weren't the best protection against metal. Frank cursed at the pain. “Dude, what the fuck?” Billie shouted from the doorway. Frank had assumedly kicked Billie's locker. Kids surrounding him turned to stare. Gerard walked over to Frank. “What the fuck is wrong with you?” he hissed.
“Frank! Gerard!” screamed a teacher's voice. All the staff had been notified of yesterday's incident.
“Ms Vill's office. Now.” she commanded.

“Not you two again!” the principal sighed. “Look, I warned all teachers that any more trouble from you should be reported to me. And I haven't got the time to deal with this now, so looks like you two have landed yourselves a day in isolation.” she snapped. Gerard growled in frustration. Frank looked around the office. What could he do to get out of this. Stab himself in the head with the scissors lying on the desk? Nah, that'd be too dramatic even for Frank's standards. The two boys followed Ms Vill's assistant into the isolation room. “There's a staff shortage so you'll be unsupervised. But Mr Ark's office is right next to here and he'll be able to hear any trouble. Also you'll have someone come to check on you and bring work every so often. Alright?” Miss Price, the assistant, said.
“Yes miss.” Frank said.
“Yes miss.” Gerard mimicked. The isolation room was medium sized, with 10 or so tiny desks that had a board each side, so that the students held captive would not be able to distract each other. Miss Price directed Frank and Gerard to their separate cubicles at opposite ends of the room. Both boys didn't say anything. “So, we're just going to ignore each other all day?” Gerard asked. Frank stared at him in confusion. When they were alone together, Gerard was polite and fairly friendly. But as soon as anyone else was around, he turned into a complete dick. Frank ignored Gerard's question and turned back round to face the wall.

Frank had Physics work sent to him first, and Gerard had Art coursework. “I didn't know you took Art?” Frank asked in surprise, unable to stop himself.
“Yeah, well, now you know.” Gerard replied sarcastically.
Frank ignored Gerard's sarcasm and looked at Gerard's sketchbook out the corner of his eye. “Holy shit,” Frank gasped, again unable to stop himself. There were mainly sketches of figures – comic-y looking characters. There were also abstract pieces – most of them quite dark or twisted. Disturbing corpse-like faces. “Hey, they look like what's that guy? Y'know – Francis Bacon is it? His work.” Frank commented absent-mindedly, still staring at the work in awe.
“Yeah, actually they're studies of his work.” Gerard replied, in surprise.
“Why do you hide all this away? Like everything you used to love – comics, music, and art. You keep it hidden. Why?” Frank asked. Gerard sighed deeply.
“Honestly can we not get into this? I don't know why we're even talking... I just don't know, I guess, it's not who I am anymore.” he said.
“Then who are you?” Frank asked.
“Someone who's seriously messed up. Anyway what the fuck? Why are we talking about this? Why did we start talking anyway?” Gerard asked, anger rising in his voice. He was suddenly getting defensive again. Frank looked sad. “Nevermind.” he whispered, turning back to his Physics work.

They stayed in silence for the next hour or so. Miss Price came back with Chemistry work for Frank. “Why all this Science work, miss?” he asked, fed up of reading yet another page about nuclear radiation. “You're behind in your Science, Frank. It's what your tutor told me to give you.” she told him. After she'd left, Gerard spoke up.
“What the fuck did you pick Science for if you don't like it?” Gerard asked.
“I didn't know what to pick for my last subject – so I chose triple Science. There were pretty much no other options.” Frank muttered.
“That sucks.” was all Gerard said. Frank nodded wordlessly.
Another hour of silence passed. “I'm fucking sick of this.” Frank blurted out.
“Me too. I'm out of here.” Gerard replied, picking up his bag. He pushed open the window above his cubicle. It was dead easy for him to escape. He climbed through the window then jumped the small distance below. “What the hell?” Frank asked out loud, to no-one in particular. He walked over to the window, and looked out. Gerard was standing there, staring at him. “Are you coming or what?” Gerard hissed, taking care not to be heard. Frank looked at the window unsurely.
“Fine.” he finally said, climbing out then jumping down. “Shit,” he gasped, as a pain surged through his ankle. “Looks like you landed on it funny.” Gerard commented.
“No shit.” Frank hissed, clutching his ankle in pain.
“I'm guessing you won't want to be walking far.” Gerard sighed disappointedly. He led a limping Frank to behind the bikeshed. “Hey, it's your hideout.” Gerard commented. Frank didn't reply. He sat down, cursing at the pain in his foot. “I know what will help.” Gerard said, grinning. He opened his bag to reveal a small bottle of whiskey. “What the fuck?” Frank asked, “That stuff is fucking disgusting. So you just carry it round in your bag every day or what?”
Gerard laughed. “I know right, but there's not much else I can steal from my parent's liquor cabinet without being noticed. And nah, I don't have it with me every day, I only stole it to take to a house party me I'm going to tomorrow, but it won't matter if we just have a little bit now...” he explained.
“Alright fine, just not on school property okay?” Frank asked. They were already enough enough trouble how it was.

They waited for the pain in Frank's ankle to subside then they walked over the sports field, continuously checking behind them to make sure they hadn't been seen. Gerard opened the bottle and took a massive gulp. “Can you wait?” Frank hissed. They neared the back gates, which were heavily chained up. But to the right of the gates was a hole in the chicken wire fencing which was hidden out of view behind a bin. Most of the students were aware of this hole but everyone was careful not to be seen using it so it had remained undetected by teachers for years. They carefully squeezed through the hole. “We're freeee!” Gerard yelled, spinning around happily as he clutched the bottle. “Fucking lightweight.” Frank muttered, amused.
“I heard that.” Gerard said, smacking Frank playfully.
“Where do we go?” Frank asked.
“The shops? The park? Wherever you want.” Gerard replied happily. They started walking in the general direction of the town center. As they walked, Gerard continued to drink. “Hey, you haven't had any yet?” he said, offering Frank the bottle. Frank took a sip. He spluttered in disgust. Then he took a gulp, forcing it down, then spluttered again. “Yeah, no more thanks.” he coughed.
Gerard laughed. “Okay. Where are we going again?” he asked.
“Fuck knows.” Frank replied.

“Drink some more,” Gerard said, offering the bottle, ”You'll be buzzed.”
“What the hell,” Frank said. He took the bottle and drank about a third of it, ignoring his urge to gag. “Holy shit.” Gerard said, staring at Frank wide-eyed. Frank burped, almost throwing up. Gerard giggled. Frank laughed at Gerard's giggle. Frank moved his head, watching the world spin around him. It was like everything was moving in slow motion, and every time Frank moved his head, his vision had to catch up with him. Gerard drank some more, and Frank reached out for the bottle. “No more now.” Gerard said loudly, slurring his words a little.
“Please?” Frank begged. He suddenly tripped slightly, grabbing on to Gerard's arm.
“No, no more.” Gerard repeated, laughing.
“Where are we?” Frank slurred, taking in his surroundings. There were trees, grass, benches, and a river. “Ooh, I know, it's this park, this park I used to come to as a kid with Mikes.” Gerard replied, stumbling slightly and falling on to a bench. Neither of them noticed the looks of disgust and disapproval from the various passers by. “Hey, I remember this secret place by the river.” Gerard said, grabbing Frank by the arm as they staggered along the path. Frank looked down at the river, and saw a cut-away flat space about halfway down the bank, hidden from view. Gerard took a big step down, grinning. “Look!” he said, trying to pull Frank down with him.
“Fuck!” Frank screamed, as he slipped down the bank and stumbled desperately away from the water rushing underneath him. Gerard grabbed on to Frank's arm, pulling him back up. They both fell backwards on to the flat space, stumbling over. Gerard sat there stunned and Frank burst out laughing. “Y'know, you're cute when you're drunk.” Gerard slurred. Frank didn't acknowledge Gerard's comment – he was busy focusing on the queasiness he felt in his stomach. He suddenly threw up into the river, his head bent over the edge. “Eeew gross.” Gerard giggled.

Some time later, Frank woke up. He was lying on the same spot next to the river where they'd been, but Frank was covered with Gerard's jacket. “What the fuck?” he asked. Gerard was nowhere to be seen. Frank remembered everything that had happened around about until they had escaped from the school. “Shit.” he said. There was a horrible taste in his mouth – he remembered the whiskey. He felt sick as hell. His mouth felt dry, and he just wanted to go home and be in bed. “Jesus Christ what were we thinking.” he said to himself.
“I'm not sure,” replied Gerard's voice, “But are you okay? You've been sleeping for like five hours.”
“I'm fine,” Frank said bravely, “But where the fuck did you go?”
“I just went to the food truck to get you some water,” Gerard explained, “But before that, I'd been here the whole time. It's too bad you chose the five minutes I was gone to wake up.”
Frank nodded gratefully as Gerard handed him the water. “Shit, I don't remember anything.” Frank said. Gerard looked relieved.
“I don't want to rush you, but school ended some time ago. We need to get home before it's dark.” he said.
“Aw shit, I don't even know where the fuck we are.” Frank groaned.
“It's okay – my house is near. You can stay round for a bit then I'll give you a lift home?” Gerard asked.
“Yeah sure, thanks.” Frank replied. Gerard was being so fucking nice all of a sudden. It was weird.

“The fuck?” Mikey asked from the sofa as Frank and Gerard came in through the front door.
“It's been an... eventful day. I'm giving Frank a lift home soon.” Gerard explained.
“What? Seriously what's going on... You two hate each other.” Mikey asked in confusion.
“We don't know either, Mikes.” Gerard replied.
“Hey, Mikey, by the way I'm sorry for earlier.” Frank said, suddenly feeling guilty about the argument in Mikey's car that morning. “It's okay.” Mikey said, and smiled.
“I'll make dinner. I'm not a great cook, so you alright with beans on toast Frank?” Gerard asked.
“Yeah sure, that's fine.” Frank replied. After they'd eaten, Gerard drove Frank home.

“This has been so weird, today. So are we, like, friends now?” Frank asked awkwardly, as they pulled up outside Frank's house. “I guess,” Gerard replied, blushing,”But I'm really unsure about everything, y'know? I feel so bad about everything I've said to you in front of Billie and Lisa, I'm just so confused. You were right, I know I was a coward, but from now on, I'll be nice and I won't let them push you around.”
Frank was speechless. “Thanks for today, by the way. Looking after me, and everything.”
“It was the least I could do – you know it was my fault you got drunk in the first place, right?” Gerard said. They both laughed. They said their goodbyes and Frank entered his house.

His mom was sitting at the kitchen table, and she did not look happy. “I've just had a phone call from Principal Vill.” she said.
“Shit.” Frank cursed.
“Apparently you've been in a lot of trouble recently. And you left the school earlier...” his mom said.
“I'm sorry.” Frank said, staring at his feet.
“i'd been so proud of you recently, I thought you finally settled down. But turns out, you haven't changed a bit.” she shouted.
“No, don't say that, it's not like that.” Frank pleaded, feeling like he was going to cry.
“I'm so angry about this, just go to your room.” his mom said, lowering her voice slightly but she was still incredibly pissed off.

Frank sighed as he climbed the stairs. Just as things were looking up for him, they all turned to shit again.
Sign up to rate and review this story