Categories > Original > Drama > Misfortune and Gold

Chapter 1: Childhood Dreams

by sgSixx 0 reviews

meeting essential characters with a common goal

Category: Drama - Rating: G - Genres: Drama - Warnings: [?] - Published: 2013-11-20 - 5541 words

1Original
MISFORTUNE AND GOLD
BY:S.A.Garsee
Chapter 1:Childhood Dreams
based on many truths
For My Husband

1981-1995
San Francisco, California

Brian Jay Ward was born the second child in a set of twins on March 18,1981. His twin sister, Brianna Jade Ward preceded him in birth by two minutes, a fact that she would hold over his head regularly as they grew, any time seniority ruled. Even though they were twins the two had few similarities, except their parents. Brian favored their mother Brittany. He had her pale blue eyes and sandy brown hair. Brianna, however, had her fathers wavy brown hair and dark blue eyes. It was hard to get a lock on either of their personalities due to all the competiveness between them. From the very start Brian and Brianna ere complete opposites, like oil and water or night and day. As infants they never slept at the same time. Nor did their appetites ever seem to coincide. They didnt do a single thing together, nor did they have that bond that most twins do. They didnt have a single thing in common, not music, style, friends, entertainment, food, or even grades. They spent most of their time competing for attention. For Brittany it was a full time job mediating fights, she never got a moments rest. They constantly picked on one another and bickered. Even once in school the two remained polar opposites.
Brittany, of course, was a full time stay at home housewife. She had to be to rear the spawns of anti peace. Luckily she was a very fair and patient person with enough love for the entire world. Her husband, Baylor, worked long hard hours as an architect in and around their home city of San Francisco. He provided his family with a comfortable middle class lifestyle and most of the luxuries that came with one. He was a good man. However, his job required travel and being gone sometimes months on end. Despite his constant absences he always tried to be around for the really important things. He never missed a recital, play, talent show, performance, graduation or award ceremony.
As the twins got older Brianna showed the desire to be most popular. She had the attitude needed to go along with it too. Her brother was one of the first people she shunned as weird and uncool. Naturally anyone Brian associated with fell into the same catagory. She had big dreams to some day get out into the world. She wanted a career. She put forth her best in everything she did. She definitely applied herself. She enjoyed extracurricular activities such as academic clubs, drama~ class government, and naturally cheerleading. She stayed on the honor roll and in the top ten percent of her class. By the 6th grade she was already picking out colleges.
Brian more or less drifted through his classes. He was smart enough to keep up. He just didnt care about school. His head always seemed to be stuck in a Piscean daydream. If only he could live inside his head he would die happy. In his head he could be whoever he wanted to be, he could do whatever he wanted to do. He had no interest in sports or extracurricular activities. He did only as he had to do, just enough to get by. But on the inside, Brian wanted to be known for something. He wanted to be famous and have everyone know his name. Yes, his Pisces brain dreamed big too.
Brian was definately the more adventurous of the two when it came to trying new things. Yet his interest changed like the weather and never seemed to have any direction. However, once he made up his mind to do something there was no convincing him otherwise. It wasnt until Brian turned 14 that he found something he was passionate about. Brian picked up the guitar like a naturalN without any lessons at all. It didnt take long for it to become an obsession for him. He would stay up late practicing, and fall asleep holding his guitar. At the breakfast table it would be in his lap getting more food on it than he did in him. At school it would be safely tucked into his locker until lunch time. While everyone else ate, Brian could be found on a railing, picking away at his unplugged guitar. Brian had a special bond of appreciation for his guitar. It was the only thing that he had ever had to work for to buy on his own. His father, Baylor, had refused to buy it for him because Brian was notorious for never seeing things through. Baylor assumed the guitar would be like the skateboard he had used once, or the surf board that had never even seen water.
So Brian saved up for months. He mowed lawns, he babysat the neighborhood kids, he saved his allowance, and eventually he was able to get a guitar and an amp for $250.00. The amp was an old beat up thing with rusting grates over the speaker. It was basic without many knobs for control. The good thing was it worked surprisingly well and was really loud. The guitar was an old banged up Gibson Les Paul. It was royal blue with several scratches, dings, and paint chips. Yet, Brian thought it sounded good.For a 14 year old just starting out it did. Brian's hands seemed to be made for the guitar, though he knew little more than how to turn it on and strum. He would sometimes stand in front of his mirror and watch himself play. He worked on his rock star moves and dreamed of the day when her would be one.
1995
San Francisco, California

The 14 year old Brian sat reclined against a tree in a field at the end of their street. He tried to amuse himself with his guitar. He was trying to learn how to tune it He theoretically knew how, he just never seemed to be able to get it right. The notes he heard in his head didnt ever seem to match the vibrations that hummed through the strings, but he was working on that. He had an undeniable ear for music and it was guiding him like a beacon in a storm. His ears knew what to play before his fingers did, almost intuitively. He had a knack for picking up some song he heard on the radio and mimicking it. Brian's pale eyes looked down to the strings of his beat up pawnshop guitar. The wind blew through his light dirty sand colored hair. He flicked his head and corrected the problem.
Brian looked over to his life long neighbor and best friend. Devin Dwayne Daniels was a little over a year older than Brian having been born April 30,1980. His parents were ideal parents and it showed in how Devin was turning out. Devin studied hard and planned on going to college. Devin was beyond a good kid, he was a perfect kid. He never got into trouble. He never did things that he had been taught were wrong. He was shy for the most part. Most people just didnt understand him. Like with Brianna, Brian was nothing like Devin either. Technology was the tie that forged their friendship. They had spent most of their youth playing video games and talking to girls they didnt stand a chance with in chat rooms.
Devin worked diligently sticking wires into clamps and screwing them down firmly, careful not to strip the screws. Brian sighed and relaxed his arms down at his sides, glancing at Devin. "Man, can we do this yet?" He complained. "This is boring."
"It wont be in about eight minutes," the red haired Devin spoke as he pushed his glasses up on his nose and glanced briefly at his watch.
Devin would be the dictionary picture of the word geek. He had red wavy hairN freckles across the bridge of his nose, cheeks, and forehead. He required thick lensed glasses, and was smarter than most kids his age. He was your typical Star Trek/Star Wars loving computer genius. Needless to say he got picked on and bullied alot. Brian prevented alot of would be bullying because he was 6'1", and cool because of the guitar and girls found him attractive. However, besides computers and science, Devin's only passion in life was gunpowder. He has inexplicable love for blowing things up. Tonight he was putting on his own fireworks show for the neighborhood. He and his dad had been working on making the fireworks almost all year. Devin's cuticles always appeared to be stained a silvery charcoal color from the gunpowder he was constantly playing with.
Devin motioned to the guitar in Brian's lap. "Why did you have to bring that guitar?" He rolled his eyes never seeming to see him without it these days. He knew being a rock star was Brian's newest obsession. Devin didnt think too much about it. Brian changed his wants so often that he could barely manage to keep up with them.
"Because," Brian huffed as he continued to fidgit with the guiyars strings some more. "I knew I would be bored sitting here waiting on you."
"Im just about ready," Devin spoke as he flipped open a box and began pulling out electrical tape.
Most of the neighborhood had assembled in lawnchairs and on blankets strewn throughout the vacant lot. Devin had been boasting for months about what a show he had planned, so most of the street was present. Devin was a worrier so he was quite nervous about being able to deliver on his promise. Brianna was too embarrassed by the two of them to even show up. Brian didnt care. By his own rights he was cool and popular. He had girls willing to give it up to him, what else mattered? He thrived on amusing people. He liked attention.
Brian let out an audible sigh, observing Devin wrapping electrical tape around virtually everything. Devin always said better safe than sorry, so this was just him making sure.Unlike Brian, Devin was driven and smart. There wasnt anyone more sane or mature than Devin. To be only 15 he was more like a 25 year old. Devin was thw wisest person Brian knew, not to mention nonjudgmental and loyal. Devin had a patience that Brian didnt, the two complimented each others strengths and weaknesses. Devin could calm Brian when no one else could. Brian would hear Devin when he would hear no one else.
"Hey," Brian thoughtlessly rambled as he fooled with his guitars strings. "Do you know how to make a video game?"
Devin glanced at him with wary eyes over the top of his glasses suggesting that that was a senseless question. If it involved a computer Devin knew how to do it. He have an unconcerned shrug and nodded. "Its just algorithms and programming. A bit of mapping and a few other things thst would just sound Greek to you."
Brian knew there was more to it than that He didnt know what any of that meant but it didnt sound easy. Devin always found computer stuff as thoughtless as breathing. Brian didnt find it so easy, he had problens logging onto and off of the internet. "I had this idea for a video game," Brian spoke picking at a string. He knew Devin was paying about as much attention to him as he was in return.
"Oh yeah?" Devin asked out of reflex tossing the tape back into the box. "What is it?" He finally asked turning to give him his undivided attention for just a moment.
"Its like this guitar game...the guitar is like...the controller," Brian was growing excited. "If you play a song good you go up a level...bonus levels...scores...and..."
Devin cut him off with a dispassionate look. "That would take years dude." He looked over his wiring one last time. Programs take forever and games are programs inside of programs."
"We could make alot of money," Brian said strumming a few notes to see what his fumbling had accomplished.
Devin's green eyes fell on Brian rolling his eyes as he pushed the brim of his glasses back up on his nose. "I thought you wanted to be some rock star, not invent video games." He sighed wondering to himself if Brian was yet again changing his mind about his interests and what he wanted to do with his life.
Brian stuck his pick in the strings of the guitars neck. "I do," he responded as he carefully laid his guitar back into the beat up case. "But I need more stuff first."
"Like what?" Devin asked struggling to pay attention, but really wasnt. He just couldnt take much of what Brian said seriously.
"More gear dude, mics, amps, instruments, lights, EQs, pedals..." Brian shrugged and looked to his watch impatiently bored. Its been 8 minutes dude," he reminded him knowing Devin was caught up in his own cautious rituals.
"Yeah, I know," Devin drew his breath in and stared out over the neighborhood. He exhaled, "Ok, Im ready," he nodded snapping his heels together and giving Brian a salute. Devin turned and pushed play on a boom box he had wired up to a PA system. The Star Spangled Banner began playing as Devin started setting off charges.

1999
Brianna to Phoenix, Arizona and Brian to Los Angeles, California

Four years later the polar twins graduated high school. Brianna who had been dreaming big since day one was off to college. Brittany and Brianna visited several different colleges as prospects. Brianna loved one that they had gone to in Florida but Brittany said NO WAY! It was an obvious party school where students seemed to spend more time surfing and tanning instead of studying. They went to another that was in upstate California. There was nothing particularly wrong with it. It was just too close to home for Brianna. So in the end Brianna made her mind up on one in Phoenix, Arizona. She found it strangely nice there in the desert and it had all your college town hot spots. Brittany and Baylor didnt think she could get too distracted there.
So Brianna packed her things and moved into a dorm on campus. She wanted to become a physical therapist, first having to be an assistant. Her future was plotted out. She hoped to get good enough grades to be able to transfer to NYC, but for now Phoenix would have to do. It was better than what her loser brother was doing. Why didnt their parents just kick him out? Or better yet, force him to go to school instead of just wasting time daydreaming about something he would never be? Brian didnt stand a chance at accomplishing anything. All he did all day was play guitar and take up all od Devin's free time making some stupig guitar video game.
It was amazing that Devin had any leisure time anyway. All he did was study and go to class. He had been in college inLA living on campus. He took on full loads each semester. It was as if he wanted to take every class offered, even if it didnt apply to his major. He wanted to get as much as possible out of school. He loved to learn. He wanted to become a pyrotechnician. He wanted to do fire and explosions for Hollywood, maybe a halftime show for the superbowl, or even New Years fireworks in NYC.
Devin would come home occasionally, but Brian would go to LA and stay days at a time, monopolizing Devin's time. That was Brian though, once he got an idea stuck in his head it was set. Brian didnt give up until he got his way. Brian could be selfish when it came to the things he wanted, and they always seemed to involve someone elses help. However, Devin would do anything for Brian, and he could see that his dreams werent impossible by any means. Brian was great on that guitar, but he had to learn how to apply himself with following through on things. For the most part he just went whatever way the wind blew him. Devin had to give him props for sticking with the guitar this long. Maybe he really did want to become some rock star after all.
Brianna may have gone straight to college after graduation, and Brian may have lounger around at home for a while, but not long. He was making accomplishments toward his future even though most people couldnt see it. He just had an awkward method of getting himself where he needed to be. Six months after graduation, with alot of Devin's help, his visionary video game was complete. It was awesome, Devin had managed to turn Brian's guitar into a game controller. That impressed Brian. Devin was amazing with computers and remote devices. Too bad devin couldnt play his own creation. Brian named the game Guitar Star.
Brian only talked to two gaming companies about his game. Both seemed very interested in it. So Brian let business handle business and let them out bid one another. The highest bidder was Evolutionary Games. They paid Brian 8.2 million fro the rights to the game. They agreed to keep the logo, Guitar Star, to which Brian could use in any way he wished. He would also get royalties on a quarterly basis. They changed a few things on the game. They gave it a fake plastic guitar as a controller with buttons so the gamer wouldnt need to own or go buy a guitar to play. Brian had 8.2 million reasons not to care. Things were starting to come together and fall into place like puzzle pieces now.
Brian gave Devin a million dollars for his help on Guitar Star. Devin didnt expect his generosity. Brian just wasnt at all a charitable person. Brian appreciated Devin's work. He had put forth far more effort than Brian had. Devin didnt care about any of that. For him it was just a fun side project with his best friend. It was Brian's idea, motivation, and drive, but it was Devin's work. Devin didnt need the notoriety like Brian did. He let Brian have his glory. He was just proud of Brian for going all the way through with something for a change.
Brian wasted no time in striking out on his own. Since Devin was already living inLA he decided to buy a house there. This way Devin could live with him. The house was middle class and similar to the one he gre up in. It was in Sun Vally and close to Hollywood. This was perfect for an 18 year old boy wanting to be a rock star. The Sunset Strip was going to answer his prayers someday. That is if he could stay out of trouble. Those very streets had ruined more lives than they had made wishes come true. Drug dealers, hookers, and pimps ruled the strip right along with all the little rock star wannabes and aspiring models and actresses. It was a meat market and a fantasy land. Liquor flowed like water and everyone got high. For Devin it was a bit more of a challenge since he studied and Brian partied. Somehow he managed to not let Brian suck him into his oblivious wannabe rock star lifestlye. He was still somewhat surprised to see him pursuing it so ardously to no avail. He was really thinking he would have grown out of this by now, or at the very least gotten discouraged and stopped trying. But for some reason this dream of his kept him motivated and going.

1986-2001
Los Angeles, California

Martin Dominic Chase Jr. was born on December 3,1986 to musical parents. His father went by Dom Chase and was a concert pianist. He traveled the world playing for royalty and presidents. His mother, Susan, played for the LA symphony and was quite accomplished as well. Susan preferred to spend more time traveling with Dom and caring for their only child. After Martin was born Susan had complications that prevented her from having other children. Most kids would be glad for that. It would mean they would get all of their parents time and love and not have to share it. Martin found it quite stifling. His mom suffocated him with her love. The two of them always seemed to be on opposite tracks. Whatever Susan loved Martin hated. Whatever she wanted him to do, he did the opposite. He was very rebellious against her. He and his father has a better relationship because he wasnt so smothering.
From the very beginning Martin lived out of a suitcase following his father on tours and to gala balls and government benefits. When Susan had to work Martin would go on the road with his father, mostly supervised by a nanny or his dads assistant. It really wasnt Martins thing and he found it boring. He hated dressing in tuxedos. He could have cared less about meeting politicians. But he loved the music. He certainly had the genetics for it and his parents encouraged it.
By the time Martin turned 5 his mother, Susan, took on the role of traveling homeschool teacher. Enrolling Martin in school just didnt seem feasible when they traveled like they did. When they traveled it looked like they were moving all together. Their would be suitcases for clothes, suitcases for books, and several cases with instruments. Schooling went fast for Martin. He was grades ahead of his peers. He was smart but his true talent was music. By 3 he had learned the piano. At 6 he picked up the drums. By 9 he had learned all of the wood wind instruments. At 11 he picked up the brasses. Then at 12 he took up stringed instruments. By then there wasnt anything he couldnt play or at least figure out effortlessly.
Martin was a musical prodigy. He was the delight of his parents life. They just knew he was destined for great things. He was very mature for his age. He didnt fit in with kids his own age. He was short, maybe 5'5". His dark brown hair was virtually untamable. He had large puppy dog eyes that matched his hair. He really looked younger than he was.
By the time Martin turned 14 he discovered he would never lose his virginity playing band instruments. So Martin dreamed big about being in a rock band. He could play anything. He knew if he were on a stage he would automatically be deemed cool and girls would want him. Martin thought about girls just as much as he did music. These were the typical thoughts of a musically inclined teenager, or so his parents thought. They assumed it was a mere phase he had to grow out of. For Martin it was more like an oversized pair of jeans he had to grow into.

November 2001
Los Angeles,California

The 15 year old Martin stood patiently in a line that stretched around the block. He was attempting to enter an amature contest at one of the hottest clubs on the Sunset Strip, Crankshaft. That late at night, alone on the strip was no place for a 15 year old boy, but Martin had always felt grown, despite is underage youthful appearance. His parents always babied him, and he always rebelled. He had an independence streak in him a mile wide. He liked to do things on his own. As any only child will tell you, they work better alone. As certainly was the case for young Martin.
Martin advanced up in the line, almost to the door. People laughed knowing he was wasting his time. He didnt even look close to18. A bouncer took note of him right away because the guitar case that he was carrying was almost as big as him.
"Hey kis," spoke the deep voice of the giant bouncer as he extended his hand out to grab Martin by the shoulder as he tried to slip by. "You cant get in here!" The huge guy chuckled at little Martin.
"Why not," Martin asked sounding angered glaring up at this colossal sized guy. Sometimes Martin forgot he was just a kid. "Its amateur night, right?"
"Yeah," the massive guy sniggered, "if youre 21, but look at you, youre like what? 13"
Martin rolled his eyes, "Ill be 16 in 3 weeks." Martin was far to used to hearing how young he looked and sounded. He hated it. He was just a late bloomer.
The big guy jeered, "Come back when you can grow some hair on your face." He pointed his finger for him to leave.
"Come on," Martin whined a bit trying to think of a way to bargain with this guy. "I can give you like 100 bucks'" He said sticking his hand in his front pocket.
The supersized guy held his hand up, only half paying attention. "Do your parents know where you are kid?"
Martin shrugged, "Yeah," but of course they didnt have a clue. They would have never in a million years let him go to the strip alone. Luckily they were both working and they had let him stay home alone with free range. Too free apparently.
"Why dont you try amateur night at the civic center?" The big guy suggested still turning Martin away.
Martin drew his breath in feeling infuriated. He hated being treated like some child. He had never been a child and he didnt want to be one now. He wasnt afraid of this 6'2" 380lb giant in front of him. "Why dont you just step your big ass aside and let me in?" He demanded standing his ground.
The bouncer threw his head back laughing wildly at the little guys persistance and fearlessness. "Whats your name kid?" He could barely aske from laughing so hard.
"Martin." He said flatly, not even concerned for his own safety. This guy could have squashed him like a bug. He really was huge.
"Im Danny, he spoke giving the scrawny kid daps. His fist was almost three times the size of Martins. "Come back when you get a fake ID and Ill let you in."
martin gleamed widely as if a battle had been won. He scurried off. A week later he came back with a fake ID. As promised Danny let him in. The two soon became friends. Danny liked how independent and audacious the pint sized little fellow was. Nothing scared Martin. Marting was so grateful to Danny for giving him a shot. Danny could see Martin wasnt your typical kid. He wasnt a bad musician either. His bedroom looked like Carnegie Hall. Martin was a rich spoiled brat but that didnt bother Danny. He always needed to borrow money. Bouncing barely paid the bills and it didnt come close to covering his kid and ex-girlfriend.
Danny Jacobs was 22 and born July 11,1979. He wasnt a troublesome kid, but when he was 17 he came to his parents and told them that he had gotten his girlfriend, Chloe Jasper, pregnant. They asked him what he was planning to do. He only shrugged. It wasnt hard to figure out that he wasnt ready for this. He didnt even want to marry her. He couldnt even commit to staying with her throughout her pregnancy. He liked doing his own thing and not having responsibilities.
The day that little Phillip Brock Jacobs was born was anything but a happy day. Danny and Chloe argued intensely as Chloe was in labor. Danny had discovered that she had cheated. He demanded proof that the baby was even his. No one could seperate them or stop the argueing. Chloe always had a way of bringing out his bad side. That was the end of Chloe and Danny. So she slapped him with child support and spent the cash on herself. So Danny began making personal deliveries of things the kid needed on fridays. He would say hi and bye and not be seen for another week.

July 2002
Los Angeles, California

"Dude! Check out those drums," Martin excitedly pointed through a music store window. New shiny instruments always caught his attention. He certainly didnt need any more or even have room for them. In a few days it would be Danny's birthday. Martin had convinced his parents to let him stay home alone so he didnt miss it. He was 16 now. They assumed he was responsible enough to stay home alone without throwing parties and getting into trouble. Truth was, Martin was just good at not getting caught. Since meeting Danny he had been introduced to tone of people his parents wouldnt approve of. Nine out of ten were strippers. .the rest were bartenders and bouncers. Needless to say, their house was the after hours place to be when they were gone. Strippers would dance on his dads grand piano as Martin would drunkenly play them something to disrobe to. The bouncers would wrestle on the marble floorsN trying not to knock over priceless statues. The master bedroom had seen more action that the law would allow with Martin still being a minor. But as mentioned, Martin was very good at not getting caught.
"Check out the guitar beside it, it matches! Martin scurried into the store and went straight for the guitar. He picked it up and began examining it like the lost city of gold. He threy the strap around his neck, pulled a pick from his pocked and gave it a strum to check its tuning. Danny sat behind the drums. He picked up some sticks and began lightly tapping the head. Martin began freestyling along to Dannys beat.
Martin had taught Danny the drums in less than a month. They liked jamming together. Martin was a great teacher. Danny had seen him play every instrument you could think of. Martin's plugged the guitar to an amp and positioned his fingers on the neck. The two of them started to play.
Brian Ward's pale blue eyes looked up over the edge of the guiter magazine he had been reading by the magazine rack. His ears tweaked at the perfect tune and pitch coming from across the room. He saw a scrawny kid whos fingers glided up and down the guitars neck with swiftness and accuracy. How could a kid that young play so good? Was there a tape looping over the intercom? The big guy with spikey blond hair soon joined in on drums. He wasnt bad either.
Brian put the magazine back on the rack and croaaed over to the display floor He bobbed his head as he watched them closely. Their playing was virtually flawless. Martin could see Brian scanning his fingers. He gave him a friendly smile and nodded. Brian walked over to another nearby guitar and strapped it on. Martin and Danny watched as he plugged into an amp. He glanced to Martins hands one more time and started playing the same exact thing. Martin was impressed.
"Wow dude," Martin yelled over the music, "you picked that up almost as fast as I would have.
Brian returned the guitar to the stand. "Whats your name?" Brian asked him. "Ive never seen a kid your age play so dead on before.
"Im Martin," he said stopping as well. "The giant is Danny," he motioned over to Danny who held up a drum stick and nodded.
"Im Brian," he said sticking his pic in his picket.
"You must be in a band," Martin spoke. No one played that good out of a bored hobby.
"No. I want to be. What about you guys? Either of you in a band?" He asked hopeful that they would say no and he could scoop them up.
"Nah," Martin shook his head. "Big guy is just a bouncer."
"Yeah," Danny piped up, "and hes only16." He loved prodding Martin about his age.
"Really?" Brian said seeming shocked. "You damn sure dont play like some high school kid."
"Oh he doesnt go to school," Danny noted. "And he can play anything. Hes Dom Chase's son. His mom plays too. They say hes a prodigy."
"Dom Chase is your dad?" Brian's brain began ticking. This kid was a millionaire too? He could use him to promote his band, when he got one. Dom Chase was famous. Brian would rub elbows with anyone who could get him some fame too. Maybe this kids dad could get him connections. "Thats awesome dude...and you dont go to school?"
"Traveled alot so I was home schooled. Ive met all my requirements and graduated."
"Can you read sheet music?" Brian asked.
Martin looked at him with a shrug. "Prodigy dude...what kind of dumb ass question is that?"
"He writes music too," Danny added.
This just kept getting better and better. "Would you guys like to get together sometime and play?" Brian asked hopeful they would say yes.
Martin shined, "thatd be awesome dude."
Great. Brian had them right where he wanted them. The three of them could be a band, he just knew it. He wondered if either of them could sing.
Sign up to rate and review this story