Categories > Original > Drama > Misfortune and Gold

Chapter 6: An Unexpected Turn Of Events

by sgSixx 0 reviews

seths life takes an unexpected turn and the story comes full circle with the reader finally seeing the relevance of chapter one.

Category: Drama - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama - Warnings: [?] - Published: 2013-11-24 - Updated: 2013-11-26 - 3096 words

1Ambiance
Chapter 6: AN UNEXPECTED TURN OF EVENTS
March 18,2003
Los Angeles, California

Brian watched as Martin and Danny got Seth drunk. It wasnt taking much. He must not have been a big drinker. They all seemed at ease around him and he with them, like everyone was old friends. Seth was charismatic. He stole your attention whether you wanted to give it to him or not. His voice was so distinctive over all of theirs. You couldnt help but listen to him talk. His words flowed out smoothly but in a language unbeknownst to them. They all talked like typical california guys. But not Seth. He sounded sort of thuggish, and kind of dressed it too. But when he had sang you couldnt hear the accent. Some could label him as a Wigger, but even that wasnt quite accurate. You couldnt really pinpoint him down to just one niche. He was all over the place with his personality, style, and lingo. They had never before in their lives seen anything like him before, but they liked him. He simply hypnotized you with his magnetism and sucked you in like a vacuum.
"Hey sis," Brian said, "you and this guy..."
"No...we are just friends."
"How old is he?" it was hard to tell just looking at him.
"18."
"How'd you meet him?" Brian quizzed.
"He was a patient."
"What was wrong with him, he seems fine now."
"He had a really bad wreck."
"That why he has all those scars on his face?"
"Im not sure really. Some of them didnt look fresh when I met him."
"What did you bring him out her for?"
"The past couple of years have been pretty rough for him. He was supposed to go to college on a sports scholarship but the wreck did too much damage, so he lost it. He got really depressed, lost all of his friends...I just though it would do him some good."
Brian observer Seth further. He was obviously wasted. "Well it looks like hes having fun now. Hope he aint still on painkillers...could be a problem with all that drinking."
Brianna smirked, "You would know."
Brian only smiled widely. "So did you know he could sing like that?"
"No," she said sounding shocked herself. "He was really good, wasnt he?"
"Mmmm," he muttered taking a drink. "Guess hes pretty bummed about you going to New York then huh?"
"I havent exactly told him yet."
"I think I have a solution," he nodded. "He can stay here."
"You dont even know him."
"No, but I know talent when I see it. We need his voice."
"What are you saying?"
"Im saying...when you leave on Sunday leave the kid behind. I'll take care of him. If it dont work out Ill fly him back to Phoenix. This way you get to skip the goodbye...not like you'll ever see him again anyway," he said with an uncaring shrug still watching Seth.
"He would be pissed if..."
Brian tisked, "Ill have him over it in 2.2 seconds. Life here is pretty sweet. Sounds like he doesnt have anything worthwhile going on back home...so why not? Girls will love him, especially if hes in a band."
"I think you underestimate how depressed he is."
"Look at him," Brian motioned, "hes happy."
"Yeah but what about when the booze wears off?"
"Then well get his ass another drink," Brian chuckled.
"Oh, just keep him drunk?"
Brian shrugged, "If it works why not?"

March 19,2003
Los Angeles, California

The next day Brianna could see a definate change in Seth. He really did appear to be having a great time in LA. He seemed to fit right in with the guys. She felt a little better about Brian's suggestion. Maybe this was exactly what Seth needed, a little nudge. She had never even dreamed of him being in her brothers stupid band, but after hearing him sing she knew it was something he could certainly pull off. He had the voice and he had the looks. He was like a whole new person to her. He was surprisingly funny. He seemed to entertain nonstop.
They club hopped most of the afternoon. Seth seemed to be having the time of his life. By the time they made it back to Brian's, Seth was again quite drunk. Luckily he was a happy drunk. He and Brianna sat on Brian's patio, looking out over the horizon. Brianna looked to Seth's huge smile and dancing eyes. She could literally see the life seeping back into him.
"You seem happy," she remarked.
Seth smiled and nodded, "I's glad ya made me come...Im so drunk," he slightly chuckled. "Is aint neva really drank much....wuz too inta sports ta go out gettin' hungova."
Briana nodded. Seth was kind of cute drunk. It was hard not to stare at him. She could see sweat glistening on his skin. "You hot?"
"Yeah," he nodded pulling his shirt over his head.
Brianna couldnt help but notice his nice athletic frame. He definately had a sex appeal to him. "We should get you to bed."
Seth drunkenly snickered, "You's wants ta get me ta bed huh?"
"You know what I mean," she smiled.
"Is good ya know," Seth said looking at her with a slight drunken half grin. His smile was playful but his eyes seemed serious.
"Im sure you are," she said extending her hand out to him to help him up. Seth took her hand and jerked her down on top of him and held her there by her hips.
"I is," he spoke as he leaned his lips forward to hers and kissed her.
She was taken by surprise but she went with it. He was a excellent kisser. When she moved away he was giving her that little half grin that always got him what he wanted. He really was one of the sexiest guys she had ever seen. Why had she not noticed it before this moment? "Wait until everyone goes to bed," she finally whispered with a shy smile. She could see his smile broaden as he simply nodded ok.

March 20,2003
Los Angeles, California

Seth woke up the next morning after a wild day of almost nonstop drinking. His head was pounding. He had to survey his surroundings to even remember where he was. Then it all started coming back to him. He remembered being there in that bed with Brianna. He was out of practice but it had come back to him like riding a bike. He rolled over facing her side of the bed but she wasnt there. A note lay on the pillow. It was from Brianna. It said that she was glad to have met him and that last night had been memorable. She told him she liked seeing him smile. She informed him that she was moving to NYC to finish school. She assured him that Brian would help him out and wanted him to stay there in exchange for singing with his band. She explained how she thought it would be good for him and give him a whole new start. She told him Phoenix held nothing for him and there in LA he at least had a chance to do something with his life.
Seth felt used. He liked Brianna and she just left and didnt even say goodbye. Now here he was, naked in some strangers house reading a Dear John letter from a girl. How could she People dont just do that. He was a very long way from home and didnt even know what direction to take off in to get back. He was basically broke. Brianna had left him with only one choice. He wasnt a singer. He sure as hell wasnt some rock star wannabe. How the hell did he get sucked into this? He threw the covers back with a sigh and looked around for his clothes. He didnt even know these people.
Upon embarking out of the guest room he could see Brian at the front door smacking some red head on the butt as she left. Apperently he wasnt the only one who had had a good time last night. Brian shut the door and turned to see Seth standing in his hallway. He looked quite confused. Brian expected he would be. Now it was time to sell this kid on being part of his dream. He had no doubt that Seth was the missing ingredient. He just hoped he would hear him out and not be all mad and want to go back to Phoenix. So he turned on his cool and gave him a head nod.
"Morning dude," he smiled nonchalantly. "You have fun last night?"
Seth glanced down not really knowing how to answer. "Yeah," he answered forcing an unsure smile to his face. "Bit hungova though dawg.
Brian nodded with a smile. "You know what the best cure for a hangover is?
He only shrugged.
Brian motioned to the kitchen with his head, "Get drunk again."
Seth gave him an odd look not knowing if he were serious or not.
"Seriously dude," Brian nodded, "if you can get a beer or two down you youll feel fine. Go grab one."
Seth hesitantly walked to the kitchen as Brian followed. Seth retrieved a beer from the fridge. He twist the cap and took a sip. It was awful and he didnt want it. But he would drink it, then he would discuss how he was getting back to Phoenix. He looked over and watched Brian mixing himself some Vodka and orange juice.
"So," Brian sighed, "Bree tell you my proposition?"
Seth nodded playing all through in his mind once more. He forced himself to have another sip of beer.
"You cool with that?" Brian asked stirring his drink with his finger.
"Aint gots no choice. I's stuck 'ere now," he shrugged taking another bittersweet sip.
"Youre not stuck dude. Ill fly you back to Phoenix if things dont work out. Just give it a shot. You might find you like it. What have you got to lose? Youre gonna love being in a band. The girls are gonna go nuts once they get a load of you."
Seth was silent.
"You were born for this dude...you just wait and see," Brian glowed.
"You's guys got a name?"
Brian nodded drinking his drink. "Faithless."
"Dawg," Seth spoke apprehensively, "I's aint really listen ta no rock music in a minute. I aint sure I's what ya lookin' for. I aint neva sang likes dat before."
"Dude...mo one has ever given me goosebumps from singing a few words like you did. Your voice is great dude. Youve got this shit...trust me. All we need is original songs. You ever wrote poems before?"
Seth shrugged, "What kinda songs ya's wantin'."
"Anything people would like. Sex always sells. But the first thing we have to do is buy you some clothes dude." Nothing about him really looked like rock star attire except maybe the wrist bands.
"What I's got ta dress like?" Seth asked glancing at his clothes.
"Well for you, with that black hair, definately leather and..."
"Hold up dawg...leathah?"
"Trust me, youll look great," Brian smiled.

April 2003
Los Angeles, California

Seth sat alone on Brian's patio with a sweating beer on the table next to him. A pen and a notebook lay in his lap. He hummed softly to himself trying to come up with more lyrics to the song he was trying to write. He was finding that having a way with words on people was easier than trying to have them on paper. He decided to stick to sex, drugs, and rock and roll. He had no experience with drugs or rock ans roll so it was mainly sex. He knew what he was talking about there. Brian did say that sex sells.
He scribbled down some more words and was soon distracted by Devin's voice in the doorway. "I thought I heard someone out here." Devin walked over and sat in a chase lounge next to Seth's.
"Wuz up dawg?" Seth asked giving him a head nod.
Devin motioned to the notebook in his lap, "Taking a stab at song writing?"
"Yeah," Seth sighed, "But I aint gots a clue what I's doin'."
"Read me what you have so far."
Seth cleared his throat and began to read the words aloud. "Curves line her hips...lips...watch how she dips. Wanna make her moan...groan...till Im gone. In the arch of your spine...mine...wanna hear you whine. She drops to the..." Seth stopped. "Dats all's I got. I aint no good at dis," he sighed.
"No!" Devin said enthusiastucally, "its really good. Brian and Martin will really light it up with some music."
"Thanks dawg."
"How do you hear it in your head?" Devin asked.
Seth almost blushed. "I dont be knowin', like alota moanin' an sex sounds dawg."
Devin smiled widely, "Thats a great angle. The chicks in the clubs would really go for it. Just try to sing it sexy...like youre singing it to each and every one of them. Make eye contact."
Seth nodded. "So why aint you's in da band?"
"Its not my thing, but me and Brian have been best friends most of our lives. Im training to be a pyro technician. I guess its not entirely useless with a rock band, but Im not the one trying to land a record deal. Im more of a nerd really. I love science, math, and computers. I just wanna blow shit up."
Seth chuckled."I falls mo in da dumb jock crowd. Neva wuz much good in school. Neva much gaves a shit, ya know?"
Devin nodded, "Im curious," he said looking at Seth. "Youre kind of a hard guy to label. You dress like a rapper meets a goth and you talk like...like a black guy in the hood mixed with some mafioso and just plain bad grammar. How did you ever get so muttered?"
Seth chuckled amused by Devin's analysis of his voice. "Guess cuz I's been in alota differ'nt ethnic places."
"It works for you. Youre a definate fish out of water around here, but people find that intriguing. Here in LA the point is to be flashier, louder, and generate more attention than the next guy."
"Da bitches likes da way I's be talkin."
"Oh Im sure they like everything about you," He smirked, "You dont strike me as a guy who hears no alot."
Seth grinned, "I's straight."
"I know Brian is really counting on that. He cant wait to put you on a stage and watch you reel them in."
A cocky smile crossed Seth's lips, "Maybe, bit I'sa lets em go."
They both chuckled a moment.
"Confidence is good," Devin nodded. "You have to have that on the stage. Be flirty...make them listen. Make them never want you to off that stage. Be a performer, not just a singer."
"I aint sure what I's 'spose ta do." Seth confessed.
"Im sure it'll come to you. You just need some practice." Devin glanced at his watch. "Ive gotta get to class. It was good talking to you man. I wanna hear more of that song when I get back."
"Bet dat," Seth nodded, "lata Dawg"

June 28,2003
Los Angeles, California

Brian stood in the shadows, chewing away at his fingernails nervously while wating for the band on stage to finish up its set. Tonight was their first gig. All of his dreams were riding on this night. He had so much invested in this both finacially and emotionally. It couldnt fail. Seth couldnt fail.
Tensions were on high with all the guys, full of nervous excitement. Amongst them one remained calm, collected, and reserved. Seth sat patiently at the bar, his reclined back on it as he slumped down in his bar stool. He didnt seem the least bit nervous. While everyone else was jittery with excitement, he appeared perfectly relaxed. Being in front of a crowd wasnt exactly something new to him. He liked being the center of attention. This wasnt something he ever thought he would be doing, yet here he sat, preparing to beguile an entire club. He was ready. He knew he could do this.
Devin sat at the bar next to him. "I thought you would be more nervous. I dont even have to get on the stage and Im nervous.
I's aint neva had no problem wit crowds."
"Lucky you...Oh! Remember to watch out for cords on the stage. The jackass club owner wont let me tape them down."
"A'ite," Sent nodded.
"And remember to stand with your toes at the edge of the stage when the pyro shower starts on the end if the last song," Devin adamantly warned.
Seth only nodded at his, amused at how nervous he seemed.
"Also," Devin nervously, "pull the mic away from your mouth a bit before you yell or scream into it so it doesnt distort."
"A'ite dawg," He nodded watching the band on stage say goodnight.
Brian came over to them. He was happy but the edginess could be seen all over his face. "This is it guys!" he smiled enthusiastically. "Are you ready Seth?" All of their eyes darted over to him.
"I's straight," he nodded.
"You dont seemed psyched. Arent you totally psyched?" He asked in a manner that clearly suggested he was.
"I's straight dawg."
"You arent the least bit nervous?" Danny asked.
"crowds aint nuthin but a thang dawg."
Brian ran his hand through his hair looking at Seth. "If you need me to quit playing for any reason just look over your left shoulder to me."
"A'ite," Seth concurred. He wished he knew why they were all worried about thim. They were the ones who were nervous. They should have been worried about themselves.
A voice on the stage began speaking. "Next up we have a band debuting from right here in LA...FAITHLESS!"
A slime came to Seth lips and he pushed with his shoulders off the bar. He stretched with his arms interlocked between his his fingers and yawned."Any a you's gots ta puke do it now." He rubbed his hands together. "A'ite dawgs...they's a sea a pussy out there...lets go swimmin'" He left for the bar and went to the stage to help set up.
Toning was the true test to see how good they were. This was finally it.
Sign up to rate and review this story