Categories > TV > Buffy the Vampire Slayer > Buffy of the Rebelion

The City that Bleeds an Island

by Myrddin-Ignis-Magus 1 review

Category: Buffy the Vampire Slayer - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Crossover,Fantasy,Romance - Characters: Buffy - Warnings: [!!] [V] [?] - Published: 2013-12-14 - 5120 words

0TrainWreck
Buffy of the Rebellion

Chapter III

The City that Bleeds an Island

It had been a long week at sea. Buffy hadn't really been out of the cabin much as she doesn't want to associate with people smugglers if she doesn't have too. However, as they have arrived she has little choice. She looked out over the massive island city in wonder.

Her blonde hair was blowing in the sea winds as she wore her standard outfit waiting for some men to prepare a lifeboat for her and Ai. Her new friend was standing next to her wearing her white robe with the hood up hiding most of her features, and some trainers on her feet.

Buffy didn't know what to expect while looking over the huge skyline of the city in the dark of night in the distance, its lights a beacon calling out, but she's glad she has Ai to keep her company for a while. This demon she's hunting sounds like the sort that needs putting down so it's worth helping her when she can just for that reason alone.

The Slayer isn't very fluent in Chinese, and can't read it much either so she hopes she has enough to get on with, but she understands English is also a prominent language. She might have been better versed though, if she didn't have two languages to learn and then Latin on top of that. She can only hope to learn more here and maybe some Japanese lessons while she's at it.

It isn't like she has too much money, just the few hundred her teacher gave her and another ninety-odd she robed from some vampires she killed before getting on the ship. She has to get it changed up first into Hong Kong dollars. She and Ai had to wrap everything, including their backpacks in plastic bags because they'll likely have to swim to shore at some point.

Though, Ai showers just fine, she seems to have a fond hate of unnecessary swimming, so she's hoping they won't have to. However, Buffy's sure the Hong Kong border patrol will come out to investigate.

It had been an amusing week if nothing more. Ai actually knows quite a deal about all sorts of different demons from docile though strong and able to take care of themselves (like her), to douche bags you would do well to keep away from.

The things about her new friend she could probably do without is the touchy feely clinginess. She is a really clingy demon, and Buffy has been woken up every day while they were supposed to be resting with Ai wanting to climb into her bed.

Buffy had resisted at first but after the second night, she just gave in because she wanted to sleep. Though, it's not too bad, the sphinx demons quite soft and light. It's like sharing her bed with an adorable oversized kitty cat, and the purring does seem to be a nice relaxing melody.

The Slayer moved closer to the edge of the ship looking at the black waves crashing up against the hull as the lifeboat hung at its side waiting for them. She just gave the crew a nod of gratitude as she climbed in, Ai nervously climbing in after her.

They were easily lowered into the water and grabbing some ores each they placed them in the groove hoop things, with Buffy sitting behind Ai, the sphinx's back almost against her as the boats quite small. They pulled at the ores and slowly started moving from the ship.

It was tough going, even for the Slayer and a demon. The waters are tough, and the small boat rocked and churned. Buffy was glad her 'super powers' had removed things like sea-sickness. She remembered when she was younger getting carsick too.

The pair pulled at their ores over and over, slowly getting closer. The night slowly making way for day as they got closer to the lights and the city. They were panting for breath as the world had gotten so light Buffy was sure they'll be spotted any time now.

Buffy stopped rowing as they were maybe half a mile out from the city, Ai copying suit. "What's wrong Buffy?" the demoness asked her. "It's not far now, if we keep rowing we'll-…"

The Slayer had taken her face and turned it in the direction a white boat was heading straight for them, its blue lights flashing. "Well, I'm going for a swim, hurry up," she replied as she adjusted her wrapped up backpack and jumped into the cold water.

Ai groaned as she made sure her pack was secure before joining her friend in the mega drink. The water was cold and salty, but it wasn't too bad. The police boat arrived just as they hid in the water, they could hear some men shouting in Chinese but they were speaking too fast for Buffy to understand anything.

Buffy gave Ai a look as she took a deep breath and dived under the water. She had to use a bit more strength than normal as her backpack wanted to float. However, that didn't stop her as she swam under the water as far as her one breath could go, hopefully Ai's following behind her.

She was actually amazed with how long she was holding her breath. She was counting, sixty seconds turned into one hundred and twenty, and one twenty, two forty until she finally had to breach the surface for air.

Gasping in huge lungful's of air brought her relief. Nine and a half minutes while exerting so much energy, it must be a super-new record or something. She looked around to see she was nearly at the shore, and looking behind, Ai was there just catching up above the surface, ironically doggy paddling.

The two wayward 'explorers' soon made it to some rocks and with each other's help managed to climb and claw their way up to the top and scale over a fence beside a road, collapsing to a bit of grass beside said road to catch their breaths.

After they gathered themselves they walked a little until they found the perfect place to hide for the rest of the day. It was just a little cave, naturally cut into the rock out of the way.

They pulled off their packs, carefully took off the plastic protecting them before they climbed out of their wet clothes, and knelt naked and shivering, but feeling better for getting the wet and soaked clothes off their skin. Buffy then used some matches from her pack and set a small bit of wood and paper on fire to hopefully warm them up.

The pair giggled a bit about how rude this might seem, sitting naked with a tiny fire trying to dry off and warm up. They have seen each other naked while changing on the ship, but this was a little more intimate in many ways. They had to use the plastic again to wrap their wet clothes and put them in their packs away.

Ai and Buffy stay naked while they try to dry off and warm up, tired, after a very short while they ended up very intimate as they curled up in each other's arms, shivering. Buffy had been annoyed since she first saw Ai naked that the demon is more developed, but now, the soft brown flesh is comfortable and warming.

They were both red in the checks, but also know they would rather be embarrassed by being so close naked than catch hypothermia and die slow and painful deaths. Though, they know that's unlikely as they're both supernaturally resilient to that sort of normal human thing, but it doesn't mean they want to suffer the cold or get the sniffles.

Buffy was first to fall asleep, with Ai purring in her comfort drifting off in the Slayers arms moments later, content to rest for a while. The day was quiet, and the girls may have been woken once or twice by the loud noise of a car, but even when dry and the fire had gone out neither girl brought any blankets, so they were content to not disturb the other and go back to sleep.

When night hit, and they finally woke enough to register embarrassment again, and they untangled, warm and dry before climbing into their dry clothes. Ai didn't even bother pulling her hood up as it would be unlikely that anyone would pay much attention to her in the dark until they reach the city proper, or at least near.

They exited their little cave fully clothes with packs on their backs, embarrassment forgotten. They did what they had to do to warm up and get a comfortable nights rest, even if it might have made them both a little horny, well killing stuff seems to make Buffy feel the need to diddle herself too so maybe she's just really odd, not that she'll ever admit that to anyone.

Neither of them mentioned anything about how they felt, so neither could be sure the other knew. Anyway, it was just the situation, and teenage hormones, and being comfortable and friendship, and stuff like that so there is no need to read too much into it, or talk about it, ever.

The pair of unlikely friends and allies walked close together alone the edge of the road towards the city. They were quiet for the most part watching out for cars. It would have probably been easy to hitch a ride, but one of them is a demon and the other doesn't want to risk anyone noticing.

"So, umm, I guess the first thing we'll need is a place to stay," Ai said thoughtfully. "I have a few thousand dollars, you have a few hundred, so we'll stop at a place to change them into Hong Kong dollars and then look for a cheap place to share."

"I'll probably have to find a part time job," Buffy said with a sigh. "Though… maybe I can kill two birds with one stone and hire myself out as a… monster removal service. A place as big as Hong Kong has to have a large infestation of vampires at the very least…"

Ai couldn't help but giggle. "Well, that sounds like you've got a plan. That way you'll learn lots about dusting the trash, you'll get paid, and you'll be doing the city a service."

Buffy nodded with a smirk as they turned a corner and saw the spectacular city better. They could leave the road here for a path heading through a small park into the city. It was cool and dark, and Buffy could sense their stalker.

He was about to jump them when they both turned to him, Buffy braking his face with a left hook. The vampire cried as he cradled his nose looking through teary eyes at the human who smacked him hanging out with some cat-girl demon. Then to add insult to injury the blonde human just twisted his arm back while the cat-demon robbed his wallet; then poof.

Buffy dusted him and then put her stake away. "How much did he have?" she asked as Ai looked through his wallet. "Wow, is that a lot?"

"I don't think the Hong Kong dollar is much less than the US," she replied shrugging. "So that's one thousand Hong Kong we've got added to the pile."

Buffy nodded in agreement as she actually sensed another couple of vampires running away. She can imagine them screaming as they fled about human muggings being worse than vampire attacks. She'll track them down another time. She doesn't have time to deal with moron sewer scum like them when they have a place to find.

Therefore, they finally entered the city, Ai raising her hood now and walking around looking at some of the sights, grabbing some noodles to squish their hunger before finding an exchange bank place, or whatever its called. They cashed up their US into HK and away they went looking for a place to rent, buying a couple cheap pay as you go phones to keep in touch on the way, and for Buffy's business venture.

Hong Kong is one of those great places that don't ask too many question, as long as you can pay, they don't care who you are or what you do as long as it doesn't bother them. The woman at the exchange place had given them directions to a place that might have an apartment to rent, a friend of hers or something.

So Buffy and Ai found the apartment building. It has some parking spaces outside that are empty and some lights on. They saw some guys who sitting on a ledge that has steps leading to the building.

Buffy didn't doubt the three young men, not much older than them would get up and approach. She wondered whether she'll meet many guys that are cool, but hanging in the backwater of Hong Kong, doubts it. It's just as back as New York's backwater. The leader spoke surprising them as he spoke in perfect English.

"Hey there babies, you looking for a good time?" he asked, and Buffy took a better look at the rundown neighbourhood. They just had to find a place with morons hanging out, out of sight from the police, possibly dealers.

"No thank you," the Slayer replied smoothly. "But…" she grabbed him by the scruff of his shirt and lifted him off his feet, his boys stepped back in awe while he looked frightened. "But you can do me a favour can't you?" she asked and he nodded his head quickly.

She smiled and threw him to the floor on his butt before she took his phone from his pocket and programed in her new phone number and dropped it on his lap, naming herself The Sin Hunter. She'll probably regret that name eventually, or get teased by Ai if they live long enough to get out of the whatever it is they are game.

"If you hear anyone with, let's say a problem that…" she trailed off thoughtfully. "Is of monstrous proportions, vermin, or perhaps they have a spawn of hell trying to drain them of their life's blood, tell them to give me a call. I assure you my rates with be perfectly reasonable, and pass it on, understand?"

He nodded his head as he stood looking his phone over he gulped, and that name had just came to her. She was thinking about demon hunter, but not all demons are bad. She shrugged as he led his men away quickly and then she led Ai up to the apartment building door.

Ai giggled as they entered the building. "That was hilarious… just get the local street thugs to pass the buck."

"Cheap and easy," Buffy replied as they walked up the stairs and came to the correct address. It isn't too late that the owner will be in bed yet, but it was only polite to not make too much noise as they knocked on the door.

An elderly woman answered it, and she looked grumpy as she eyed them in suspicion. "Yes, what can I do for you?" she demanded, annoyed with them for interrupting her show.

"S-sorry to disturb you ma'am but we heard you have a room for rent," Buffy said while Ai was making sure not to let the old lady see her face.

"Well, you'll have to speak with my daughter about that, but she's in the shower," she replied when they were interrupted by a young woman with long dark hair down to her butt wearing a towel to hide her assets, her skin smooth and sopping wet along with her hair.

"I'm Horin," the young thirty something woman said with a smile as she came closer. "But I don't mind if you call me Rin, so you're looking into our spare apartment?"

"Oh, yes," Buffy said with a smile.

"OK, but it's only a single room, so you'll have too…"

"That's fine," Buffy agreed. "We're not sure how long we'll be staying anyway."

The woman nodded and within ten minutes they had a set of keys each, the room number and they had paid a month in advance and a deposit. They found their way to room seven and entered closing the door. They had expected it to be a rundown mess but the TV though old worked and has a freshly cleaned sofa opposite with a rug to keep feet warm, as the floor is wood.

The bedroom and lounge and kitchen are all one room, and the large king size, wood frame beds matrass is brand-new. The bathroom and kitchen don't look very old either and they're spotlessly clean. It has enough closet space and even room to make a secret compartment to hide weapons, and best of all, the place is cheap.

"Wow, we got lucky!" Ai chimed out, lobbing her backpack to the floor as she flopped back onto the bed. "You don't mind sharing the bed do you, its large enough for both of us to have plenty of room. And look at the windows; they all have blinds so we can get some sleep without the sun bothering us."

"I guess we'll have to make do," Buffy replied as she sat in the end of the bed and removed her pack, dumping it to the side of the bed. "I guess I'll find some early evening classes and work, slaying at night. This way I'll have most of the day to rest and sleep."

"I'll probably have a similar schedule for my investigation and hunt," she replied as she sat up on the bed, sighing. "It's going to be a long hard week getting settled. You don't mind if I use the shower first do you?" she asked hopefully.

"Na, go ahead," she replied smiling while the sphinx demon hopped up and entered the bathroom sliding the door closed, and moments later she was humming a tune while the water started.

Buffy shrugged as she opened her pack and pulled out a nice sized case wrapped in plastic. Tearing the black shell case free she opened it to find her silver and black handgun, dry. It has a loaded magazine in it, and a thigh holster.

She just placed it in the holster and placed that on the bedside table before checking her extra loaded magazines are dry and her dagger. She was satisfied she used so much plastic as she removed her book to find it undamaged.

"Maybe I should figure out a protection spell for next time," she said in thought as she has grown attached to her book having plenty of answers and 'cheat codes' for the Slayer. "Magic's really not my thing but it's better to know how to do a little here and there even if it is probably harder for a Slayer to do that mumbo-jumbo stuff."

"Getting wise before your years?"

She was startled as her blue-skinned guide suddenly flickering into being before her, strutting all of her naked goodness, and smirking.

However, Buffy glared as she stood holding her chest. "Can you put a bell around your neck? I can't help you and you can help me if I get startled to death."

"Don't be silly, you're in great health," she replied rolling her eyes. "It has been awhile though, and here you are in Hong Kong to train and slay. There is a Martial Arts Academy, ran by a man named Sifu Kwok. He may be reluctant to train you because you are a 'weak' girl. Prove to him you are not weak and you will have a gifted teacher."

"OK," she replied, sighing. "But when will I see you next?"

"Just call my name and I'll come and help anyway I can, but try not to call too often. Taking off my clothes all the time to talk with you is troubling."

"You mean you're lazy?"

"Yep," she said smiling as she disappeared in a flicker.

"Was someone just here?" Ai asked as she stepped out of the bathroom naked and soaking wet while Buffy shook her head. "Umm… OH yeah, I think we need towels."

"First thing on the agenda, towels and clothes," Buffy said smirking as she walked passed poking Ai on the nose before closing the door as she entered the bathroom.

It took Buffy and Ai a little while to drip dry, trying not to damage the wood floor they stayed on the rug. It would have been OK if they had covers on the bed they could use, and neither wanted to wet up their clothes too much by just putting them on, and neither had anymore spare, other than what they soaked in the ocean, which would defeat the point of the shower.

They had soon enough dried enough, making fools of themselves trying different methods to get dry such as hopping up and down. That didn't do anything but make them laugh. They climbed into their clothes still mildly wet before taking to the couch and watching some TV.

They have several hours to kill until morning when the majority of the shops open. It was just lucky there are a few English channels, but overall not much on anyway.

"Umm… don't they have cable or satellite in Hong Kong?" Ai asked, complaining as she slumped on her seat.

Buffy shrugged as she thought about it. "I don't know, but I would have thought so. Anyway, even if we pay for cable they'll be nothing good on TV."

"Oh, yeah I guess," she replied sulking.

"We could always go out and do something," Buffy suggested reasonably. "I heard there are bars that just cater for demons. We could look for one and check it out, and I could potentially get a handle on some potential demons to slay."

"Na," she answered shrugging. "We might get into a fight before we've been here five minutes. But maybe we could take a walk around and have a look around, see some sights."

"OK," she replied nodding. "We might find some open shops to get a few new outfits or towels, or something."

"Or maybe some research books," Ai suggested. "I can't believe a place like Hong Kong doesn't have a shop that sells magic stuff and books on demons and whatever a hunter of evil might want."

"You got a point," Buffy readily agreed as she grabbed her gun and groaned as she went to strap it on her left thigh. "And hopefully a place where I can buy a longer coat," she added as she put the gun in a draw and hid her stake and dagger in her jacket before grabbing the cash.

"Ok, let's go!" Ai said happily as she pulled up her hood and took Buffy's hand, leading her out of the door where they locked up and headed outside into the fresh night air.

It was with quite the surprise that they found a few shops open, not much but it had what they needed, some clothes and towels, some sheets. And Buffy was happy to find a nice fitting coat that hung to her knees, perfect for hiding her gun for next time. Its red with the inner lining black with a large baggy hood.

Ai had gotten herself something new too, to replace her robe, a yellow jacket with a large enough hood to hide her feline features. They had worn out their new jackets, and outfits, packing the rest in bags. Ai's tail wrapped up around her waist under her skirt, and her hood up.

The sphinx demon looked so much better now her robe isn't in the way. Its flush to her body, following her tan curves, and showing a bit of cleavage from her low cut top, and her short yellow and white plaid skirt showing her long smooth bronze legs, with some white trainers.

Buffy was quite a contrast as she went more for convenience over looking that so good. She's wearing black combats, (pockets are good for hiding weapons), some new half boots, and a baggy white tee under her new coat, (to give her room to breathe and move), and some new, fresh and clean underwear underneath of course.

The Slayer was then dragged on by her hand while her partner in crime smiled and laughed as she looked into windows like a child's first sight of a toy store. Though, she couldn't help but smile fondly as she found it amusing.

They scored the streets for a few hours before they entered a bar a few miles away from their new home, Ai's idea to get a drink. The bouncers didn't even say anything to them, just let them pass even though they're both underage… well she is, she's not so sure about Ai. Ai could be a hundred or more for all she knows.

Buffy was a little reluctant to drink some alcohol, but after a little pressure from Ai agreed to a small cocktail. They sat and listened to some music and even watched some girls dancing on stage, thankfully not stripping. That would have been embarrassing if they accidently walked into a strip club. It's bad enough the girls were scantily dressed, or maybe the right term is skankily dressed.

They had a few more drinks, and had to turn down male advances left right and centre, and Buffy had thought she wasn't dressed up enough to turn any heads. It was still surprising that Ai got offers to dance etc., just because of her body, her hood still hiding her face.

However, they had been drinking for a while when Buffy's dickhead senses started blurring as she grabbed some weasel looking guys hand as he had gotten real close, and he screamed as bones snapped. The music from the live band stopped and everyone seemed to just stare in their direction in shock.

She just smiled as she took her purse back, her eyes cold as they returned to him. The man gulped and cried out, begging her in shock as she picked him from the ground and threw him across the dance floor where he landed at the feet of a huge bouncer.

The pickpocket whimpered as the bouncer picked him up and dragged him away, and the music restarted and everyone went back to his or her drinks.

The bartender soon came over with a grin.

"Sorry about that ma'am, we don't know how that filth got in," he said with a nod. "Please, for you and your friend, on the house," he said refilling their glasses.

"Thanks," they both said as he left for other customers and finished off the last of their drinks before grabbing their shopping and heading to the exit when a Chinese man blocked their path dressed in a tailored suit.

"Excuse me, I'm sorry to bother you ladies," he said with a greasy smile. "I must apologise for the incident earlier, please if there is anything I can help with as a thank you and sorry, please ask anytime."

Buffy smirked as she saw the pen in his jacket breast pocket and took it, before he could do much wrote a phone number on his hand, titled The Sin Hunter. She wished she thought of something better, but she would prefer them not to use her name, and hey, maybe she'll get her own legend someday.

"I'm looking for work of the… supernatural variety. I'm an investigator of the occult, witches, demons… vampires, that sort of thing. If you know of anyone who might need my services, please do give them my number, my rates are perfectly reasonable," she said before leaving the confused man and leading Ai out of the bar while she was giggling.

They were a little tipsy as they walked down the road when they heard someone calling for them to wait. It was a young woman with a Middle Eastern accent but she was calling out in English. She was out of breath from running when she caught up, dressed like a five buck whore.

"P-please, you have to help me," she said breathlessly. "I heard you speaking to that man. You investigate mysterious things to do with… the darkness, yes?"

"Yes," Buffy answered, surprised.

"I-I'll pay anything, just help my sister," she said worried, and looking to Buffy in hope. "It happened three months ago. She was bitten by something and it killed her. I had buried her, and I was trying to get on with my life, forget about what could have killed my precious little sister. But then, two nights ago I saw her. She came to me; she tormented and tortured me. I told people, the police, and even showed them the bruises, but they think I'm just seeking attention."

Buffy really did feel for the girl. "So what do you want me to do?"

"I-I want you to save her. She's not herself. Here, please," she said desperately shoved a thick wad of bills into Buffy's hands.

Buffy sighed as she sorted out a payment and slid the rest back into the girl's hands. She knows she could have taken it all but that wouldn't be right be her or her client.

"I'm sorry, but I hope you understand there is only one way," she said and the girl's eyes widened. "She's not your sister anymore; she's just a soulless husk, just an echo with your sister's memories."

"T-then please… put my sister's body to rest," she asked shakily with tears rolling down her eyes as she handed Buffy a photograph.

The Slayer nodded as the girl ran off crying. She looked to Ai to see her expression is sad, feeling for the whore.

"You think you can put me…-!"

Buffy barely glanced at the vampire as she staked her.

"…-down…?"

There were a few wide-eyed drunks as they watched a girl burst into dust. She looked so much like her big sister, but she had been gone for months now.

The blonde put the money and the photo into her pocket before taking Ai's hand so they can balance each other and go home.

They hadn't got a quilt yet for their bed but they have some sheets and it's a nice warm morning, so after closing the blinds they just lay out the few sheets they have, stripped to their underwear and climbed into bed under the sheets to finish their second night together in this vast city.

To Be Continued…
Sign up to rate and review this story