Categories > Original > Drama > Misfortune and Gold

Chapter 17: The Last Days Of Freedom

by sgSixx 0 reviews

things get busier

Category: Drama - Rating: G - Genres: Drama - Warnings: [?] - Published: 2013-12-15 - 2267 words

1Moving
CHAPTER 17: THE LAST DAYS OF FREEDOM
March 15, 2008
New York, New York

At 8am the phone in D's room began ringing, as did her and Seth's cellphones. D drowisly sat up and fumbled for her cell phone. Seth's eyes opened to the phone on the night stand ringing in his face with its obnoxiously loud hotel ring. He reached over, picked up the reciever and sat it back down knowing it was only the wake up call. He then rumaged for his cell knowing it would be Jennifer.
"Mmmm Yeah, Is up Jen...on my way," he sighed.
D answered her phone and yawned, "Im up Kasey."
Seth reached over to the nightstand for his prescription of Dexedrine. Yas want some?" He asked D pouring some into his hand.
"Yes...I am so tired," she said taking two from him, one for now and one for later.
He sighed and started dressing. "Is gots ta go."
"Me too, some meeting with the publicist."
"Me too," Seth nodded.

Their publicist met them at a fancy coffee bar in lower Manhattan. He was an entergetic guy named Dean.
"Seth, D," he greeted them like they were old friends.
"Hello," D smiled. Seth only nodded. He wasnt at all looking forward to this. He knew he was going to have to tell this stranger about his childhood. To make matters worse D was right next to him. He trusted her but he wanted to spare her the details. He didnt want the way she looked at him to change. Right now she looked at him like a god, like no one else exsited. He really liked that. He didnt want it to be transformed into feeling sorry for him.
"Well, youre overnight successes," D smiled widely. "The people love you two. The internet is buzzing with questions. Are they friends? Are they a couple?" His smile got even wider, "So thats what we are going to play on. We are just going to leave them wondering. We want them to long to see you two together."
Seth and D glanced to one another as they listen.
"But," Dean spoke losing his smile. He held up a magazine with them kissing on the cover. "We cant have this. This says, yes we are in love, yes we are a couple. We want you to look completely inequivicably in love, but condemned to never be together. People want a fantasy to get wrapped up in. They dont want two people who claim to only be friend then turn around and kiss like this. On stage good...off stage not."
"But we are friends," D said looking at him strangely.
"What kind of friends kiss like this?" He sarcastically asked pointing at the picture.
"Da kind likes us," Seth smiled.
"So there is a sexual relationship?"
Seth and D didnt utter a word.
"Look, I dont care one way or the other, just keep it off the damn camera."
They both hesitantly nodded.
"And one more thing," Dean added, "we have got to do something about the way you talk Seth. You called Martin Wexler 'dawg' on national television."
"Hold up dawg," Seth shook his head, "Its enuff dat you's peeps is brangin up my past...you's aint gone change me. Dis who I's is...likes it or dont, but I's aint changin...not for nobody."
"People like the way Seth talks," D added.
Dean rolled his eyes, "Have it your way. Just know thetre going to talk about you and make fun of you."
"An?" Seth shrugged. It was better than them focusing on his childhood at least.
Dean cleared his throat. "You also need to prepare yourself for whatever reporters may dig up on you. If we set you up to do an interview and just lay it all out there wont be anything for them to find and the fans will have heard it from you first. So what can they find? Im great at damage control."
"I'sa orphan," he shrugged.
"I know theres more than just that. Think about files there may be somewhere in a filing cabinet...school records, state files, criminal records, medical records, credit reports...anything like that."
Seth sighed and thought about all the files there had to have been. He knew it was all on paper somewhere, just waiting to be found. He knew his suicide attempt was tucked away somewhere too. He just couldnt bring i up. He would have to take his chances on that one. Maybe no one would ever find it. Deep down he knew that was one secret that had an expiration date, eventually someone would find out. He would just deal with that one when it happened. "Is aint sure what ya's askin me dawg."
"Well, we'll start with, have you ever been arrested?"
Seths eyes began to nervously float. D could see how uncomfortable he was. She could also tell by his pause that it must have been a yes. "Yeah," he nodded.
"For what?" Dean asked preparing to write down whatever he said.
"Shopliftin mostly,"his eyebrows began to furrow, "joyridin...evadin...assault on a peace officah."
D listened in surprise. He had assaulted a cop?
"Any juvenile detention?" Dean asked as he wrote.
Seth glanced at D feeling ashamed because she was here to hear all of this. He nodded, "six months."
"And state files? What might there be there?"
Seth shrugged, "My whole life dawg."
"Ive got to know the specifics. Im sorry," he said still writing.
"I's in 12 differ'nt fostah homes in 8 years...sometimes da orphanage. Gots inta trouble wit otha kids...I's used, abused...molested da one time..." He couldnt even bring himself to look t either of them. He could only stare at a bottle of creamer before him.
"And your parents? Tell me about them."
"Aint much ta say. Neva knew my fathah...only know he wuz 20 years younga dan my moms. An my moms wuz Italian, drank, done drugs an died of a heart attack when I's 8."
"Is there anything else they could find aside from all that"
A slight smile came to his lips as he glanced up, "Yeah...a statatory rape case where Is da minor...but I wuz quite willin dawg."
"And school records?"
"Wuznt s'a smart...great in sports."
"Medical records?"
Seth seemed to be holding his breath. D could see his jaw muscles tense. "Lotsa injuries," he eventually spoke.
"Like what?"
"What you's want invatory or somethin?"
Dean nodded, "It would paint me a picture."
D watched as Seth raised his hand up to his right bicep. "Gots dis broke once." He ran his hand down to his forearm, "Dis 3 times I thank." His fingers cuffed his left wrist, "Dis here joint in my wrist aint even me." He pointed out his thumb and pinky on his right hand, "Botha dees." He placed a hand on his left forearm, "Dis broke once an fractured once." He cupped his left fist, "Cracked alls dis shit up." He glanced down at his legs, "Both legs, eva bone in em." He motioned down to his right foot, "Broke dat ankle an mosts ds bones in dat foot...lotta dat aint me neitha." He ran his hand over the top of his head, "cracked skull twice an had a piece of skull removed once ta makes room for da swellin from a concusion." His fingers ran across his jaw, "Fractured dis sida a my jaw...brokes da otha." He ran both hands down his sides over his ribs, "Done had so many fracture an broke ribs I's caint even count em no mo...probably done had some I aint even know bout." His fingers glided across his left collar bone, "An my collabone...thank dats bouts it dawg."
D was flabbergasted. That was so so many breaks. How did he even move? How could he dance the way he did? He must have spent most of his life casted. She had no idea.

That night they all went out to a club. They were noticed almost the second the limo door opened. The people seemed so intrigued by Seth and D. Cameras followed their every moving, flashing pictures. Cellphones videoed them. No one seemed to mind the attention they got except for Brian.
Brian leaned over to Devin, "Who thought some dancing would do all this?"
Devin shrugged, "Apparently Seth."
"Why do you think they love them so much for?"
Devin sighed, "Man, your dream has come true, just enjoy it. The people have always loved Seth and D and you know it. Theyre the entertainers."
Brian knew they would soon overshadow the rest of the band. Before was different, Tv and magazines and press wasnt involved. How was this newfound fame going to effect things?

March 17, 2008
New York, New York

Today they all started their day in individual photo shoots. Seth didnt care for them, they just werent his thing. However he was quite photogenic, go figure. He just didnt like all the dressing up and posing. He felt fake. He sat backwards in a chair staring into the camera.
"Ok Seth, now give me a deep look," The photographer said with the camera to his eye snapping shots.
Seth had no clue what he meant so he just gave him the look he already had on his face.
"Can we get some more make up over here I can still see these scars," The photographer yelled out.
"Whats wrong wit my scars dawg?" Seth asked.
He lowered the camera, "Do you really want to be on the cover of Rock Star or WOW or Rock Press with scars on your face?"
"Why not?" Seth asked. "They's there, why lies bout em? Aint like I's be walkin round in makeup an shit. Jus leaves my scars alone dawg."
"They make you less attractive," the photographer sighed.
"No theys dont! They's make ya work less attractive!" Seth snapped. "Dawg I's can get mo pussy ina day dan you's can ina month. Dont try an tells me they's make me less attractive. Aint nobody carin bout em but you!"
"Are you going to be this difficult about them?"
"Why I's makin it difficult? You's da one tryin ta get some bitch ta paint me up. You's could be jus takin ya damn shots. You's wastin yo time an mine dawg."
"Sooo sorry," the photographer huffed, "I wasnt aware you were so fond of them."
Seth rolled his eyes, "Take da damn pictahs dawg."

March 18, 2008
New York, New York

Martin rode in the back of a limo with his assistant, Maggie. They were on their way to Cougar Guitars to have Martin a custom bass made.
"Martin," his assistant spoke, "Your mother has called 8 times since yesterday. Should I still tell her you're busy?"
"Absolutely," Martin nodded holding up a crystal brandy glass in a toasting motion.
"What is it with you and your mom?" Maggie slightly sighed.
"She hovers, she nags, shes clingy...I could go on and on." He shrugged, "Im an only child."
"Oh," Maggie nodded.
Martin glanced at her as she crossed her legs. She had nice legs. She had natural red hair and green eyes. She was pretty, in a normal sort of way. She was pretty short too. She made him look six feet tall when she stood next to him.
"I wish my parents would have had more kids so the could bug them sometimes," he said glancing out the window at the traffic.
"I have 3 brothers and a sister," Maggie commented, "I always wished I was an only child so my parents would notice me."
"You can have my parents," he gladly offered.
Maggie rolled her eyes. "Danny called. He said he and Devin are planning a surprise party for Brian and D's birthday. They want you to meet them in Devin's room at 8."

March 20, 2008
New York, New York

D sat in a chair having her hair and make up done for a guest TV apperance. She soon heard her phone vibrating on the countertop in front of her. It was a message from Seth.
"Happy Birthday."
She smiled to herself. He always remembered her birthday. Another text from him came through.
"got surprise for u @ hotel"
She smiled, curious as to what it was. "is it u?"
"u'll c tonite."

D arrived back at the hotel and opened the door. There was a black box on the bed. She walked over to it and pulled the lid to it off. Inside she saw shiny fake leather of some sort. She pulled it from the box to see it was some sort of sexy sex outfit. D chuckled and shook her head. It wasnt hard to figure out what Seth's plans for her were. A note was taped to the black material that read 'Put Me On'. D blushed a bit and shook her head. She walked over to thebathroom and turned the knob. She assumed she was going to the bathroom to change, but when she opened the door she screamed out, startled. Seth was laying across the countertop wearing nothing but a huge black bow stuck to his lap.
"WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!" She yelled at him in shock with a huge embarrassed grin on her face.
"Yous said dis what you's wanted," he smiled scooting off of the counter and crossing over to her.
"Nice bow," she said glancing down at it.
Seth smiled and pulled her to him, "You's gone unwrap ya present or what?"
D gleamed and gave him a kiss. "You always did give the best gifts."
Sign up to rate and review this story