Categories > Original > Drama > Misfortune and Gold

Chapter 18: The Last Days Of Normal

by sgSixx 0 reviews

Seth and D enjoy the last few day in which life is as it should be

Category: Drama - Rating: G - Genres: Drama - Warnings: [?] - Published: 2013-12-17 - 2777 words

1Insightful
CHAPTER 18: THE LAST DAYS OF NORMAL
March 23, 2008
New York, New York

Three days later things were moving fast. Each day they found themselves getting busier and busier with advertisements, promotions, performing, television, radio, and internet. They were absolutely everywhere. In six days they would embark on a US tour for 18 months. After that they were scheduled to go to Europe. Their first show would kick off at a huge venue in New York. All those months that faced them didnt even phase them. This was it, what they had longed for. Their excitement couldnt see past the dazzle of it all. They put little to no thought into what faced them.

Brian lay in his hotel room about to fall asleep with the TV on. He was exhausted, but he hadnt come down yet from all the coke he had had that day. Havoc had a way of making sure there was always something around to keep them awake. He was soon caught by the TV.
"...Faithless stars, Seth Chandler and Darcy Blackwell were seen on the cover of this months Look Magazine saying 'We're not a couple'," said the voice of late night prankster Martin Wexler as he held the magazine up to the camera. "See, here they are walking down a Manhattan street. He's got his arm around her, she has hers around him...They look friendly, right?" The audience could be heard cheering. "As you know, we had them on the show a few weeks back. And I can tell you this...when you sit next to these two you can literall feel the heat coming off of them. You can see the twinkle in their eyes. The flirtatious smiles never leave," Wexler shrugged, "I really dont see what the big deal is. I think they would be a cute couple, right?" The audience cheered. "But they insist on fighting it and going about things the hard way..."
Brian sighed and rolled onto his side. He would be lying if he said he wasnt just a little bit jealous of Seth and D's newfound fame. He wished he was getting some of it too. Suddenly half of America was interested in them. He wanted all those people to know who he was too. It was him who had wanted all of this for most of his life. It wasnt Seth and D who practiced playing 20 hours a day. It wasnt them who had everything invested in this dream, it was him.

March 29, 2008
New York, New York

It was a chilly March night in New York. A cold front was expected to come in by midnight, but the temperature was already dropping. It wasnt the best of conditions for the first show of their own headlining tour, but they were too excited to worry about something as trivial as the weather. They had more to think about. Once they got on that stage they wouldnt even feel the weather.
D looked at her reflection in the mirror. She was wearing a low cut, silky black dress that swished nicely when she danced. She would have about 8 costume changes during their show. Her hair was sleek and shining. There was so much gel in it it was almost plastic. She picked up a pair of tweezers and began sticking tiny rhinestones under her eyes. She thought they would show up well under stage lights. When she lowered her arm she could see Seth standing in the doorway, watching her with a tiny grin of amusement.
"Hi," she smiled up at him. He made no reply only stood there smiling at her. He folded his arms over his chest and leaned his shoulder on the door frame. "So what do you think," she asked him.
Seth pushed his weight off the door frame and kicked the door shut with his foot. He stepped up to her and looked her up and down. "Sexy," he nodded in approval. He rested his hands on her hips. "You's gone drive em crazy. Good thang you's gone be up in da air where they's caint get ta ya." His voice was like velvet, soft and seductive. He tugged her closer to him, "See, he motioned with his head down to his pants, "dats what you's be doin."
D smiled and wrapped her arms around his neck. "Down boy," she whispered brushing her lips across his.
"Ughhh," he moaned out, "I's gots ta go before I's caint go out on da stage." He stooped over and gave her a quick kiss on the shoulder. "See ya's out there."
She smiled with a nod as he scurried off. She continued getting ready for the show. She was nervous. This was the largest crowd they had ever preformed for. She was almost as scared as she was the first time she ever did a show with them. She took a breath. She knew once she got out there with Seth the rest of the world would vanish.

Brian stood at the side of the stage peeking out at the crowd. There were thousands upon thousands of them out there, all of them there to see Faithless. It was like a dream. He still had trouble believing it was happening. He glanced over his shoulder to see Seth walking up. "This is it dude," he smiled at Seth.
Seth nodded with a smile as Danny and Martin quickly filed in. "You's ready ta go swimmin dawgs?"
Brian nervously nodded, "Lets go swimming."
They were in total awe of the 60,000 people chanting FAITHLESS! FAITHLESS! FAITHLESS!
"Ya ready dawg?" Seth asked Brian who seemed to be frozen to that spot. Brian nodded forcing his feet to move forward towards he stage.
Seth could feel his heart pounding. He couldnt tell if it was from the Dexedrine or because he was terrified. This was it. Tonight he had to be perfect out there. The fate of Faithless rested in his hands. He soon could hear the hum of Martin's bass. It was their cue to quiten down the crowd, though tonight it didnt seem to be working. He drew in a deep breath and walked out onto the stage. The audience got louder and louder. A smile came to his face as he stared out at the sea of heads that stretched out forever it seemed. He felt on top of the world. He could hear women screaming out his name and trying to get closer to the stage. How did all of this happen so fast?
Seth glanced over his left shoulder to Brian to let him know he was ready to start. Brian began strumming the notes to 'Lets Party'. Seth looked over to the side of the stage to see D nervously standing there, smiling at him and waiting on her cue. A roadie ran out to fit Seth with a mic headset while the stage lights were still off. He glanced up to Devins control booth to see him giving the 1,2,3 countdown. Then all at once the lights came on, illuminating Seth standing in the center of the stage with his arms outstretched.
"Hey there baby, Im new in town." eth could barely hear himself over the screaming of women. He walked to the side of the stage and extended his hand out to D. She came out and the crowd got even louder. Seth pulled her to him and gave her a wink as he sang. "Think you could come show me around?"
They began dancing suggestively making the audience go nuts. They danced their way out onto the cat walk as Devin set off pyro blasts on each side of the stage. The lights all hit them at once on the cat walk. "Lets party till they throw us out..." The crowd loved them. Their dancing was at a whole new level. It was the most successful four minutes of their lives. Seth pulled D to him with a single jerk and held her in a loving embrace as he cooed, "Oooooh baby, wont you come home with me?"
Everything was going great. The fans were maniacs. They really loved it when Seth's hand slid down D's inner thigh. The end of the song approached and the music faded out. Seth held D to him and gently stroked her cheek as he whispered, "Oooooooh baby," in his sexiest moan. The stage lights went out. Seth smiled broadly at D in the darkness. He wanted to kiss her so much.

Their first show went off without a hitch. They walked off the stage with sweat soaked towels draped over their shoulders. Roadies instantly began handing them ice cold beers. Seth reclined back on a countertop to catch his breath. He was exhilerated. The crowd had completely loved them. His attention was caught by a line of scantily clad women walking into the room, flirting with all of them. There must have been a dozen. They rubbed their bodies, kissing them and blotting their sweat. They broke out the drugs. Seth didnt even seemed phased by all the girls looking at him and wanting him. He simply guzzled his beer and watched D. He shifted his weight with eyebrows wrinkled and examined her every move. He watched her dissappear to go get changed.
He could feel the Dexedrine working on him in full effect. He wasnt even tired from the show. He discretely walked to the door that D had disappeared behind. He turned the knob and slid in undetected. He found her there, topless. She stood up straight and smiled to him. "Can I help you?
Seth only smiled and locked the door behind his back. He strolled over to her and planted a kiss on her, pressing her into the countertop behind her. He lifted her onto it by her thighs.
"Theres people out there waiting to see us."
Seth shook his head and whispered, "They's aint nothin outta dis room."

But for the guys, EVERYTHING was out of that room. The girls, or perhaps they were actual groupies, came loaded to the teeth with a buffet of drugs to indulge in. They all took turns snorting and drinking. There girls, or groupies were insane. They did things you only saw on a porno. They were so thrilled at the attention. Everyone told them how great they were.

March 30, 2008
Newark, New Jersey

Seth and D had been asleep for hours, long enough to dream. Seth's eyelids fluttered as he saw himself walking through his moms house in Phoenix. He could see her on the floor. He could see himself bending down to shake her. He saw himself begging her to wake up.
"MAMA WAKE UP!" He called out as he saw himself kicking her lifeless body. His eyes flew open but he was not yet awake from his dream. He saw the contour of someone next to him. It was D' but in his mind it was Vera. He placed a hand on her hip, "MAMA WAKE UP!" Tears streamed down his cheeks as he screamed out the words in a panic stricken voice.
D awoke in confusion to Seth shaking her and screaming. She could tell by one glance at his shadowed face that he was caught somewhere between dream and reality. Seth soon came to at the sight of her face. "Seth whats wrong?" She asked startled.
Seth looked away, panting, and collecting his thoughts as he sat paralyzed in the bed. He managed to run a hand over his head. "Jus a dream," he said, "I's straight." He settled his head back on the pillow and stared up at the ceiling. He turned to look at the night stand. A bottle of Jack sat there. He grabbed it and twisted the cap off. He lift his head slightly and took a huge gulp trying to forget.
D sat there in shock waiting for answers that werent coming. She needed an answer. "Seth...you screamed 'mama wake up'. Were you dreaming about her?"
"Jus leaves it alone, a'ite?" He sighed and reclosed his eyes.
"Seth," she sighed, "just talk to me."
Seth opened his eyes to see her staring at him with her eyebrows raised as high as they would go.He was silent a long moment, not knowing what to say to her. He had always been a closed book and he simply didnt know how to talk to her. It was so second nature for him to hold everything in. Deep down he truly wanted to. Maybe he was too afraid of chasing her away.
"Seth?" She softly asked.
He sighed, "D...jus..." He could only shake his head and pray she would forget it all.
"No...You woke me up screaming and shaking me...I feel I deserve an explanation."
Seth sighed and sat up straight in the bed. D glanced away. Why wouldnt he just talk to her? She watched as he pulled his knees to his chest and wrapped his arms around them. Under the lights of the TV she could see a tear rolling down his cheek. Out of reflex she pulled him to her for an embrace. He was actually crying. He rest his head on her chest and wrapped his arms around her. D could hear sobs breaking loose. She just held him tight not knowing what words would soothe him. All she could do was let him get it out. He had always seemed so strong and walled up to her. She didnt even know he could cry.
Seth eventually backed away and spoke softly under his sniffling as he dried his tears. "I's thought shes wuz jus passed out, ya know."
"What?" She asked.
Seth cleared his throat, "My moms," he quietly uttered, "I's dreamin bout da day shes died."
"Tell me," she softly urged.
He shrugged, "Wuznt nothin no differ'nt dat day...I's gots home from school an had ta pee. S'a I went in da bathroom...an my moms wuz on da floor by da toilet..." He paused for a long moment visualizing it all over again in his head. "I's aint thank nothin bout it...I's wuz jus a lil kid...an shes wuz always passin out there..."
D could hear his voice start to get shakey and she could see him trying to fight off tears. Then it dawned on her what he was saying. He had discovered the body. He had only been 8 when she died. It was no wonder why he still had nightmares about it. Now she understood why he would sometimes mumble 'mama wake up' when people would shake him while he was asleep.
"I loves ya Sethy..." he muttered, his mind wandering off.
"What?"
"Dats what she's always told me...When I's hungry, mama loves ya Sethy...jus evathang...I's use ta thank she loved alls dem men...she pent way mo time wit dem..."
"What men?"
Seth shrugged, "I's didnt undastand it back den cuz [/'s aint know nothin bout sex yet...Alls I knew wuz dat differ'nt guys came ova all da time. They's would go in 'er room...Den when they's left she would calls me ta her room an gives me money. I's 13 before I's undastood shes wuz turnin tricks. Dats why shes always told me they's names wuz John."
D was floored. His mom had been a prostitute?
Seth looked at D with an unreadable expression on his face. D was the first person he had ever told about his mom. He had never told anyone at all. Maybe he was telling her because he felt safe around her. He had spent a lifetime being detached from people, but he couldnt detach himself from D. She brought out a side of him that he didnt even know exsisted.
A sympathetic look came to her face. "Seth...you have to let it go."
"I's caint...I's all fucked up. I's aint grow up wit peeps huggin me an tellin me they's loved me. I's dont know how ta feel bout people. I's feel likes a alien." He tapped his temple with his index finger. "Dont no body know what it like in there. I's thank I's cursed or somethin...cursed ta neva feel...not like ya spose to..."
Love was an emotion Seth had zero experience with. In all actuality he didnt think it was something real. He looked at it more like Santa Clause or the Toothfairy, something most people are programmed to believe in. He understood caring for someone, but the levels and the differences meant nothing to him.
"I's wants ta undastand...I's wants ta feel what you's feel...but I's dont know how."
Sign up to rate and review this story