Categories > Original > Drama > Misfortune and Gold

Chapter 20: The Strains Of Straying

by sgSixx 0 reviews

Forced to be apart Seth and D struggle to get by

Category: Drama - Rating: G - Genres: Drama - Warnings: [?] - Published: 2013-12-29 - 4214 words

1Original
CHAPTER 20: THE STRAINS OF STRAYING
April 7, 2008
Hartford, Connecticut

It was strangely humid that night. The air was as thick as the tension between Seth and D. But like the true performers they were they put on a believable show for the fans. The crowd would have never been able to guess that anything was wrong. After the show Jennifer came up to Seth to introduce him to the Van Buren twins. They were very attractive, but to Seth, no one was more beautiful than D. D had a completely natural kind of beauty. These twins had probably had so much cosmetic surgery that they were probably half plastic, saline, and collagen.
"'Ey yo," Seth smiled at them giving them a head nod as he checked them out. They were completely identical. They were even in the same dress, the only difference was the color scheme. "Hope ya's gots tattos or somethin so I's can tell you's apart."
They both smiled at him with the same exact mirror imaged smile. It was weird, he had never seen actual identical twins before.
He pulled his seductive half grin to his lips. "S'a wuz up in Hartford? Neva been 'ere before."
"We love the way you talk," smiled the one in the black and white dress opposed to the one in the white and black.
"Yeah...gets dat alot," he shrugged.
"So Seth," the other asked, "do you party?"
He smiled a cocky grin at them letting them know that was a hell yes. Right now partying sounded like a relief. Maybe it would take his mind off of D. He needed to stop thinking of her, just for a little while.
The twins wasted no time in getting Seth completely drunk and shoving lines of coke at him every few minutes. He was always completely twisted from Dexedrine to begin with. While he may have been there in body he wasnt in soul. They drug him to all the hot spots to show him off. He went along with it all pretending to have a good time. Paparazzi followed their every move, taking shot after shot. By morning their faces would grace the cover of every magazine on the news stands.
Seth didnt think about it. This was what Havoc wanted, right? They wanted the sex the drugs and the rock and roll, well Seth was prepared to bring it. He could be whoever they wanted him to be for the right price. They wanted a spectacle, well they were going to get one. He could be the bad boy rocker everyone wanted to see, no problem.

Back at the stadium D lie passed out on Xanax in a locker room. Just knowing Seth was with the Van Buren twins had been too much for her to handle. She must have taken five bars. Apparently she had gotten too comfortable and drifted off while she was changing out of her stage clothes. She lay flat on her back on a locker room bench in nothing put pants and a bra. Her shirt lay draped over her mid section. No one had even seemed to miss her.
Luckily a roadie came into the room to check to see if anything had been left behind. He certainly hadnt bargained on discovering a half dressed D. He was a bit star struck by her. He found her to be as most men did, very sexy. He approached her and gently shook her shoulder. "Miss?" But she was out cold. "Miss Blackwell?" he shook her harder.
D's eyelids barely parted. For some reason she expected to see Seth. But it wasnt him. But whoever he was he had the same color eyes as Seth. "Who are you?" D slurred.
"Adam," he smiled reaching for his name badge. "Crew," he held it up. "Uh...I think you must have fallen asleep changing," he said slowly reaching for her shirt and handing it to her.
She slightly lifted her head to see that she was in her bra. She looked around the room trying to even remember where she was. "Mmmm...what time is it?" She asked sitting up and still feeling very out of it.
"12:30," he said as he helped her stand.
She began pulling her shirt on over her head. "Thanks," she mumbled and stumbled a bit.
"Are you ok?" he asked.
D couldnt even remember what he had said his name was. Her eyes couldnt even focus enough on his ID badge to read it. She caught her balance and nodded as she began to collect her things. He thoughts broke off to Seth and she remembered that he was out somewhere with the Van Buren twins. She glanced to the roadie whose name she couldnt remember. He looked too concerned with her condition to leave her alone. "When does the bus leave?" She asked.
"Its scheduled to pull out at 3:00 am."
D nodded. "Say...do you know where the guys are?"
"Um...yeah, they went out to a club I think. And Seth...hes with the Van Buren twins."
D thought for a moment. That meant she had the bus to herself, with the exception of maybe Devin who would most likely be asleep if he was there. "Would you mind walking me to the bus?" She asked moving her hair out of her eyes. "Or get my bodygaurd, Jim Jay?"
"Id be more than happy to help you back to the bus Miss D...but Jim Jay is just outside if youd rather he..."
D cut him off, "Youll work."

April 8, 2008
Providence, Rhode Island

The next morning the bus came to a hault in Providence next to a portable news stand. The guys all got off to stretch their legs. They were still high from the night before and crashing hard. Brian scanned the covers of the magazines. He was caught by Seth's face on one of them. "Fucking hypocrite," he mumbled to himself. Seth had made such a huge deal about the whole D thing, now her he was on the cover of a magazine with the Van Buren twins. It looked like the old tom cat Seth was back. Brian didnt really tink it was the best image to be conveying, but who was he to question Seth's methods. They never seemed to have failed him before.
"Check you out Mr. Celebrity," Brian sarcastically remarked as he tossed, or perhaps threw the magazine at Seth.
Seth caught it and straightened it out. He pulled his shades down just enough to look over the brim of them. "Hummm," he spoke from his throat and handed the magazine off to whoever was on his left. He hoped D didnt see it. He knew she knew about last night, he just didnt want to rub it in and hurt her even more. He wanted to spare her the paparazzi details.
Seth himself could barely remember the details. He had been up for a couple of days now. But, if his memory served him correctly those twins had been quite the wild ones. They did things that sisters just shouldnt do...EVER! He also recalled thinking about nothing but D the whole time. There were a dozen times that he just wanted to get up, get dressed, and leave. But this was what Havoc wanted, right? He was expected to be the cliche bad boy rock star. Wasnt this just that?
D sighed and lifted her swimmy head noticing that the bus had stopped. She felt like she had been sleeping for an eternity. Then she began having flashes from the night before. She remembered being with some nameless roadie who had eyes similar to Seth's. She could only recall that because it was what she had focused on to get her through it while he was on top of her. It had been such a tourment to know Seth was with those twins. She just wanted to get back at him. She wanted him to feel the pain she felt. She took lots of Xanax in an attempt to feel nothing, but she still felt it.
"Hey dude!" Martin exclaimed as he pointed to the bottom row of the news stand. "Its you," he said to Brian as he reached for the magazine. The picture on the cover was of D kissing Brian on the bus. Across the headline it read 'Darcy Blackwell:Colleague or Groupie?
"Oh shit," Brian gleamed, thrilled to see himself on the magazines cover.
"Bet not let D sees dat shit dawg," Seth sighed scrounging his pocket for Dexedrine. "She gone hate dat."
Brian huffed, "Not as much as shes gonna hate the one of you and the Van Buren twins."
Seth tossed a few Dexedrine in his mouth and swallowed them trying to ignore Brian. He knew it was the truth, but he didnt feel like dealing with it right now. He had been up all night on Dexedrine, coke, drinking, and having a menage y tois with identical twins. He really just wanted sleep, But it was too late for that now. He stuffed his pills back in his pocket and moved his hair out of his eyes.
"Dude, I gotta know," Martin piped up to Seth, "The twins...did they just leave the room taking turns with you, or was it like a true threesome?"
Seth slightly smiled and looked to the ground. He was tired, he had a headache, he was dizzy and couldnt remember when he ate last. He didnt want to think about last night. It wasnt even worth remembering. He only longed for D while trying to keep it up for two girls who werent D. It was exhausting and rather boring in comparison to being with D. Yet, he knew he had to have some sort of juvenile obligation to brag to the guys about his first double celebrity encounter. It was the rock star thing to do, right? Its what everyone expected him to do, wasnt it? He dug deep for a smile to put on his face and look at Martin. "Dawg, dem girls is freaks."
"You gonna see them again?" Danny asked tapping his drum sticks on different metal objects around him.
"I's aint sure dawg," he shrugged, "they's may be too much for jus lil ol' me." In truth he hoped he didnt have to see them again. He didnt at all enjoy himself. Nothing but D was on his mind. He felt so stupid. He felt this would just fully drive her away. It really was her above all others. How could he make her see that?
They were all laughing at Seth's comment as D stepped off the bus.
"Whats so funny?" She drowisly asked.
"N...Nothin," Danny said as they all calmed down.
"Oh look," Brian gleamed holding up the magazine of he and D, just to push Seth's buttons. "We made front page."
D only glanced at it briefly and nodded making no reply. Her eyes fell on Seth looking somewhat jittery. She turned her attention to him and spoke, "Im surprised to see you up so early after your late night."
Seth looked to the ground not knowing what to say. D was trying to play her role and let everyone know she was joking with him, like friends since thats all Havoc would let them be. But Seth could hear the sarcasm hidden underneath it all.
"Ok look," Brian nonchalantly said holding up the magazine of Seth and the Van Buren twins. "Seth here made the cover of WOW Magazine."
Seth glared at him, he knew he knew he hadnt wanted D to see it. "You's a asshole dawg," he shook his head.
"Looks like it was an eventful evening," D said barely covering the smirk in her voice.
Seth could only look away slightly shaking his head, trying to contain his anger at Brian. He would still like to do nothing more than punch him in the jaw.
"Well," D replied, "Im hungry, so me and Jim Jay are gonna head out. Ill see you guys at sound check."
Seth watched as she turned to leave. His first instinct was to ask if he could tag along. But he knew he couldnt do that anymore. Havoc wanted the apart when they were off stage. It was the law. He ached to just hold her and make ammends. All he wanted was her and all he could do was watch her walk away. Why couldnt he seem to shake the feeling of needing her? It was hard to deney it, even if he didnt understand it.
"Hey dawgs...any a you's gots some drank?" He asked. He needed to just drink this away.
"Theres half a bottle of Vodka on the bus," Martin answered.
"Lets drank it," Seth suggested.
"Dude," Brian cut his eyes at him, "its 7:30 in the morning."
"Ya know what they's say...its always 5 o'clock somewheres dawg. An for me...right now be mo lies 2:30, 3:45 in da mornin...s'a I's needs a drank."
"Dude how do you go without sleep like that?" Danny quizzed.
"Pretty easy when you take pills and do coke all the time," Brian muttered folding his arms over his chest.
Seth cut his eyes at him, "An when you's sleep last? You's still up from last night too. Wouldnt dat be a sign a too much coke dawg?"
"I do coke too!" Danny exclaimed, "but I still sleep almost every night."
"Tries doin mo," Seth shrugged as he stepped back onto the bus.

That night after the show Dean arranged for Seth to give an exclusive interview to Celeb Magazine about his childhood. Seth tried and tried to get out of it, but Havoc was relentless. They wanted the information released to the world. Seth really had no choice. If he had to do it he sure wasnt going to do it sober. He popped 3 Dexedrine and drank as much Jack as he could before Dean came to drag him away.
Dean sat down in a chair next to Seth. He looked so agitated. Dean could tell he was wired by the way he couldnt quit moving in his seat. He kept impatiently sighing as sweat poured off him. Javier noticed the excessive sweating and tossed him a towel to dry off before the reporter came in. Javier knew also how wired Seth was and just how much he was on. Javier had to spend a significant amount of time with Seth, as did his assistant Jennifer.
"Estas bien?" Javier asked him to see if he was ok.
"Quiza," Seth sighed meaning maybe. He wiped the sweat from his face with the towel. He twisted the cap off the fresh beer that sat between his legs. He instinctively fished his pockets for more Dexedrine.
Dean leaned over and whispered to him, "Youre wired enough."
Seth was all too aware of that. He hadnt slept in days. "Not nearly dawg," he replied as he tossed four more into his mouth and washed them down with a large chug of beer. A woman soon approached them. She was a short strawberry blonde with tanned skin and killer curves. Seth assumed it was a spray on tan due to her orangish glow.
"Hi," she smiled extending her hand out to Seth, "Im Amber Sloan for Celeb Magazine."
Seth pulled his award winning smile to his face to be cordial. "Wuz up Amba...Seth," he nodded and wiped his sweaty hand off before shaking hers.
She took note right away at how deep his voice was. She also noted that he was just as handsome in person as he was in airbrushed photos. She could see why he had such sex appeal, even despite all the scars. He was pretty mesmurizing to look at. He even made scars look sexy. It was odd, in his presence she just couldnt seem to take her eyes off him. She had never been so drawn to a person she had never met.
Seth brought his fingernails to his mouth and began working over the skin around the nubs of his fingernails as she brought out a voice recorder and prepared to do the interview. He didnt want to talk about this stuff. He wished Havoc would just leave it buried.
"They told me your story could get intense," she began.
Seth nodded and shrugged.
"First off let me just make sure I have the basics right...You were born in Phoenix to Vera and Corey Chandler?"
Seth nodded as he wiped the sweat from his palms down the front of his jeans.
"And youre half Italian?"
He nodded again.
"Your father left right after you were born?"
"Yeah...he skied up when I's bout a month or two." He continued chewing at his nails nervously.
"Your mother was a ballerina?"
"Before I's born..." he said moving his fingers from his mouth just long enough to answer.
And from there things went just about how Seth imagined they would. He had to relive his entire past with an attractive reporter he just met. He would have been so pleased if some natural disaster would occur and interrupt this interview. Why couldnt someone get injured and be rushed off by ambulance? Why couldnt fans burst through the door and swarm them? Why wasnt the damn Dexedrine and all that Jack doing anything for him right now?
She sat there and asked her 101 questions, most of which she could see he was uncomfortable with answering. She asked about his parents dying. She made him tell her about every foster he had had. She had him tell her as much detail as he would about everything he had endured. She talked about all the times he had been arrested and his time in juvy. She took inventory of all his broken bones and other serious injuries. They talked about Gwen, and Damon, and Donna. Finally she moved on to topics that were easier for him to talk about.
"They told me you played football in school."
Seth nodded.
"Did you like it?"
"Well...I's wuz real good at it cuz I wuz fast, agile, an pissed off," he smiled.
"I assume that since you were the heart of the team that you were popular?"
He coyly twisted his smile at her, "Neva had no trouble gettin girls iffin dats what you's mean?"
She shyly smiled and blushed a bit. Then she proceeded to talk to him about his wreck and losing his scholarships. She asked how he became the singer of Faithless. She asked about the guys and how everyone got along.
"And how close are you with Darcy Blackwell?"
He glanced down to his hands thinking of what lie he could tell her. "She my best friend, ya know?"
"But the pictures that have been printed are of you kissing her..."
"S'a I's kissed her before? Wuznt nothin...we's wuz drunk...excited...it happens. But we's forgots it 2 seconds lata cuz dats da kind a friendship we's got. They's can do alot ta a picta when they's put a caption on it."
"So she isnt your girlfriend?"
"Naw...I's aint really da boyfriend type," he shrugged, "mo da loves em an leaves em type," he tried to come off as flirtive and joking.
"Soooo...you dont have to, in any way, answer to her for your actions?"
"Naw," he said looking up at her to see she was looking at him in that familiar way. Her body language told him she was interested in him. He turned on the cute little half grin. That smile had gotten him what he wanted more times than he could count. He watched at her cheeks flushed an even darker shade of pink.
"Now," she nervously smiled trying to continue, "tell me how you got that dialect that you have. I must say Ive never heard anything like it before. Its very hard to place a label on it."
Seth slouched down in the chair and reclined out a bit smiling to her with his seductive smile, "Lotsa differ'nt environments...Italian mom...Korean an Mexican Fostas...an I's likes rap," he shrugged. Seth looked at her giving him that tell tell 'I want you', stare. She looked good so why not? That was the sort of thing Havoc wanted him to do, right? "S'a," he said widening his smile, "ya's got anythang else goin on tonite?"
Her smile got bigger as her face got redder. "No," she shook her head.
He turned the charm up a bit more, "Ya's wants ta kick it wit me?"
Javier leaned in and spoke to him in Spanish, "Espera. Adonde vas?" He wanted to know what he was doing. "Es retorcido."
Seth only smirked, "Entonces. Ya lo entendi." He then got up and held his hand out to the red faced reporter to take. She of course did.

Maggie's phone began ringing in her hand as she waited with Martin backstage for the bus to leave. Martin was loaded, drunk, sexually satisfied, and ready to crash. He st strumming away at his unplugged bass. Sweat glistened on his forehead. His fingers were strumming fast and repetitive. Maggie looked to her phone to see that it was his mom calling. She sighed and answered it, "Yes Mrs. Chase, how are you today?" She paused listening to her talk. "Yes, I have told him that you called," she said plugging one ear to hear her better. "He says hes really busy." She cut a glare over at Martin as he carelessly strummed away at his bass.
Martin looked up at her and could see from her demeanor that she was talking to his mom. He began mouthing the words 'Im not here', flaying his arms around adamantly not wanting to talk to her.
"Of course Mrs. Chase...you too...goodnight." Maggie ended the call and looked to Martin. "Why wont you just talk to her?" She frowned at him disapprovingly.
"Primarily because I dont want to listen to her lecture me on how many ways Ive thrown my life away." He sighed and returned his attention to his bass. His movements and pace showed Maggie how bad he needed to just go to sleep and let the mind altering substances die down.
She shook her head, "Why dont you just be a man and get it over with already? Shes your mother, shes not going to go away."
Martin smiled at her. "Ill show you I can be a man aaaaaaany time you want baby," he tried his best to be charming.
Maggie rolled her eyes and looked away, "Please! Like I would have a man whos too scared to talk to his mama."
For some reason Martin was incredibly turned on by the way she lay things out on the line like that. He liked her spunk. He liked the fact that she always told him exactly what was on her mind. She gave no regaurd to his feelings and could have cared less if she offended him. He really liked it. She was just a little spitfire ball of sass.
"Hell baby...if thats all it takes is a phone call home, call her back for me." He beamed at her. "Ill talk to her right now!"
"Oh shut up," she huffed, "you dont even stand a chance with me...so dont even bother wasting your time junior."
Martin felt his heart excitedly skip a beat. He smiled as his eyes scanned her legs. She was in nothing more than a T-shirt and shorts but it was perfect. She glared over at him feeling his stare. She gave him a 'what are you looking at' look. He looked away still holding the smile. "Just to clarify," he asked placing his fingers on his bass again, "are you calling me junior because I am infact a junior...or is that meant to be derogatory?"
Maggie smirked, "Completely derogatory."
The smile on his face broadened. "Yeah...I thought so," he replied and strum a few notes. "So is it me you have a problem with or is it just all the rich 21 year olds?"
"Neither really...maybe the latter of the two."
"Feel free to elaborate," he said looking away from his bass and back to her with amusement.
"Young rock stars," she sighed.
"Whats wrong with young rock stars?" He innocently shrugged.
"Ego mainly...then theres the excessive drugs, promiscuous sex, inexcusable behaviors, debauchery, stupid childish pranks..."
"Ok, Ok," he chuckled cutting her off and looking back to his bass, "I think I get the gist. I do have a fairly high IQ, believe it or not."
"Humph...not," she smirked.
"Well I do. You should ask my mom sometime since you two talk so often," he smiled playfully.
Maggie folded her arms across her chest, "Who the hell directs calls from their mom to their assistant anyway?"
"Uh...me."
"Isnt she aware you have a cellphone? Why doesnt she just call you directly?"
"Because...I told her my phone got broken and Ive been too busy to get another one."
She shook her head, "I so do not get your deal with your mother."
Martin slightly smiled returning his attention to his bass, "You dont have to."


Sign up to rate and review this story