Categories > Original > Drama > Misfortune and Gold

Chapter 29: Something Off

by sgSixx 0 reviews

d gets a look into Seths new habit

Category: Drama - Rating: R - Genres: Drama - Warnings: [?] - Published: 2014-01-13 - 2847 words

1Insightful
CHAPTER 29: SOMETHING OFF
February 2, 2009
Helena, Montana

Seth's eyes fluttered and opened to reveal a long counter top stretched out before his eyes. His cheek could feel its smooth cool formica surface. He slightly raised his head. His eyes were so heavy. He sniffled and rubbed his nose. His gaze fell on his reflection in the mirror before him. He could see white powder stuck to the side of his face. He had momentarily forgotten that he had been doing lines of heroin from the counter top. He brushed his cheek off and looked more closely at his reflection. There were bags under his eyes accompanied by black circles. His cheeks were sunken in. He even looked pale. However, on heroin these things dont matter. Nothing had any meaning or feeling, therefore he didnt care. He knew he should have cared. This wasnt him. He was supposed to be the best looking guy in the room, not...this. What was happening to him? He knew he wasnt the same Seth anymore. In fact,the only nime he even felt like himself was on stage with D. He saw very little of her outside of that.
At night when the shows were over Seth was left feeling bundled and overloaded with regret, loss, and sadness because he knew he had to pretend he no longer cared. He put on a good show for Havoc's sake. Like an obedient worker he spent time with groupies and with Marla. To the naked eye it would appear as if he had a different girl every night. What they didnt know was how little sex was actually going on. His past time was no longer sex, now it was drugs. He was an opportunistic heroin addict, where it was, he was. Heroin was the only thing that made his hurt melt away to a tolerable numbness. It made the hands of time spin quicker. It filled that void until he could get back on the stage with D. That small window of time every day was the only thing he cared about. It was the only place he felt happy.
He heard a tap at the door and a moment later Jennifer was poking her head in. "Marlas here, shes asking to see you." She noticed how incredibly sleep he seemed. Before a show he was usually bouncing off the walls.
He sniffed and wiped his nose, "Yeah...send her back." He tried to collect himself.
Marla was soon standing in the room. "Hey baby," she spoke anxiously, "you got anything? I had to dump mine...the cops were on to me."
Seth knew this was a lie. She most likely ran out and couldnt get Havoc to give her any more money. He motioned to the scattered powder on the counter top.
"Is it China?" She asked rushing to it, praying it wasnt coke.
Seth nodded.
"Oh baby youre a life saver," she smiled and kissed his cheek. She rumaged her purse for a needle. She cooked it and drew it up. "You want some?" She asked Seth as she placed the needle over a vein.
"Naw...show time...slow enuff..."

February 15, 2009
Alberta, Canada

Upon returning to the floor her room was on, D found Seth roaming about the hall. He was having to hold on to the railing to even hold himself up. His face was pressed to the wall and his eyes appeared shut.
"Seth?" She called out to him.
His movements were slow and delayed as he turned to face her direction. Just his eyes met with hers. Then his knees buckled and he went down. D rushed to his side.
"Seth! Are you ok? What did you take?"
All Seth could say was her name.
"What did you take? Pills?"
"Wheres ya been D?" He faintly stirred as he reclined his head back on the baseboards, "I's miss'd you's."
"Come on, weve gotta get you out of the hallway." D said as she tried to help him up.
"I need my pills," he muttered trying to find them in his pocket.
"No Seth, its almost 2 am, just sleep it off."
"I'sll get plenty a dat when theys put my ass in a pine box."
"Are you trying to speed up that process?" D asked trying to get him up but couldnt. "I...Im calling Dr. Gibbons."
"Naw," he shook his head, "aint nothin broke...I's straight. I's jus seems ta be havin a lil trouble walkin's all."
"What did those whores give you? Ive never seen you like this before."
"Jus somethin ta come down off da speed."
"What was it? Pills? Tell me."
"Dont matta," he slurred, "it worked."
"Why are you doing this? The combination of things could kill you."
When he thought of life without her killing himself didnt sound like a bad idea. "I's straight baby."
D finally managed to get him on his feet and helped him to her room. The key to his own room was MIA. She unlocked the door and flipped on the lights. Seth staggered in and saw a boquet of red roses by the bed. He focused on the card sticking out of them. It read, 'Sorry love, Schylus'.
"You's aint expectin bagpipe boy is ya?" He asked looking around the room.
"No," she sighed, "he just sent those as an apology. He wont be coming back around."
Seth collapsed down on the bed with a sigh. To D it didnt look intentional.
"Youre really scaring me," D said watching him closely. "You look like you took a handfull of bars, drank a fifth, and had some XOs."
His eyes slightly rolled back in his head. "Naw," he faintly answered, "none a dat."
"Why wont you tell me what you took?" She asked as she sat on the edge of the bed.
"Dont matta," he answered forcing his eyes to look into hers.
"Is it the road getting to you?"
He slightly shook his head and reached his fingertips up to her cheek, "You is."
"Me? Im getting to you?"
"MMMM....ya hair..." he began nodding out. "I's miss us..."
D bent over and kissed his pale clammy forehead. It woke him up.
"Dont go..." he muttered before drifting off again.
"Im not going anywhere," she said crawling up next to him and laying her head on his chest.
Seth could see her there in his arms. He knew it was supposed to feel good, but he only felt numb. "You's beautiful," his words slowly trickled out.
"You always say that," she smiled.
"Jus...ta you's."
"Why are you staying so high?" She thoughtlessly wandered aloud.
"Dont be scared D...I'ma be a'ite...I's jus...jus wants...I's jus needs ta be numb."
"Numb? Numb to what?"
He fought to focus on her eyes. "Dis," he whispered. "I's jus waitin..."
"Waiting for what?" She asked listening to the sound of his breath being drawn in.
"Dis..." He said as his scratchy sandpaper fingertips traced her hip.
D leaned up and kissed him softly. His lips were numb and he did his best to kiss her back. He hoped this wasnt foreplay and that she didnt expect sex tonight, it was just out of the question tonight. "One day...it gone be me an you's...foreva." His words were faints he slowly began drifting off again.

February 26, 2009
Manitoba, Canada

"Dude," Martin drunkenly slurred leaning across the aisle to danny, "Im gonna marry Maggie. Thats my future ex-wife."
Danny gave him an odd look, "Dude what are you talking about?"
"Maggie man...she's so bossy...Shes not afraid to put me in my place." He sighed deeply, "Im in love."
"Are you being serious? Or are you just drunk and fucking with me?" Danny questioned raising an eyebrow.
"Im serious," he said giving Danny the most sincere look a drunk guy could give as he teetered and swayed.
Danny smiled, "Wow...little Marty's all grown up and ready to settle down."
Martin drunkenly smiled, "But not tonight...Maggy's gonna take some...wearing down."
"Yeah, well good luck with that dude. Im happy for you," Danny tipped his beer at him.
"Yeah...its insane...she talks to me like shit and it turns me on."
"Go for it dude," Danny nodded.
Martin nodded affirmatively, "I think I am."

Brian walked into his hotel room after getting he and Madison some ice. He could hear his unplugged guitar being played. He rounded the corner to find Madison sitting on the bed with it in her lap. She was playing it and it sounded good. It was some soft melody. A smile came to his face as he watched her. There was just something about a chick with a guitar that was appealing to him. It gave him a whole new respect for Madison. Who knew she knew how to play?
Madison suddenly looked up to see Brian standing there smiling at her. "Im sorry," she said instantly putting the guitar down. "I know how you are about your guitars.
"No...its cool. It sounded good. I didnt know you knew how to play."
"Ive never played an electric before."
"Its really no different, just a different sound," he spoke crossing over to the amp to get the cord to plug it to the guitar. "Stand up," he instructed her.
She nervously rose to her feet.
Brian crossed over to her and put the strap over her neck. He then stood directly behind her. "Watch my hands," he said. She could see them coming around her as he placed them on the guitar. He began strumming what Madison had just been playing.
"Wow, you picked that up really quick," she said watching his hands. He couldnt even see what he was playing. She knew he was good obviously, but she had no clue he was that good.
"Ok," he said as he finished, "give me your hands," he said taking them and placing them on the guitar. "With electric you have to pay close attention to not let your fingers slide down the strings That would give you the wrong sound for such a soft melody. Ok?"
"Ok," she smiled.
"Now play."
Madison drew her breath in and began strumming. "Oh my god...Im doing it!"
Brian smiled. He was just as happy as she was. He was glad to see they had something else in common. Sometimes Brian had to remind himself that Madison was just a groupie. When she was around him she just didnt seem like one. He wasnt entirely sure, but he thought he might be having feelings for her. Was that wrong?

March 1, 2009
On the road in Canada

D sighed and looked out the dark bus window to the other cars traveling on the interstate. She had no clue where she was or even where she was going. Being on the road so long made things begin to blur. Every road looked the same, every stadium and every hotel. She glanced over her shoulder to the back room. The door was shut. She knew Seth was back there. It was pretty much his room when people werent back there or in their bunks. It was where he took groupies. It was where he did his drugs. It was where he slep on those rare occasions in which he actually slept. Yeah, she knew he was in there. Was he alone?
She looked to her left. Martin sat there looking closely at sheet music. "Hey," she spoke to him, "do you know if Seth is busy or not?"
Martin's gaze never swayed from the sheet music. "Hes not with a girl if thats what youre getting at." He paused a moment then looked up at her. "Youre close...right?" He asked.
"I guess," she shrugged.
"Well...maybe you could talk to him...about the drugs...Theyre starting to show."
"They are?"
Martin's forehead wrinkled up, "Come on, havent you noticed him slurring the words? I counted 8 times he messed up on guitar tonight...8! He never used to do that. Its only going to be a matter of time until Brian notices too. You know he will have us practicing on the damn bus if he notices...So please, for us, talk to him."
D thought for a moment. What am I going to say to him?"
"I dont know...how about, 'hi, how are you? Everyone knows youre on drugs. Why dont you stop? And...oh, heres some pussy.'"
"Ugh," D shook her head, "Youre such a hornball."
"Yes I am," he smiled, "Now go on and get back there. You know you want that dick."
"Shut up," she rolled her eyes as she started down the aisle. She felt her nerves getting worked up. She reached out and placed her hand on the doorknob and gently turned it. She slowly pushed it open, just in time to see Seth snorting powder up his nose.
"Seth?" She spoke.
His head slowly lift to meet with her eyes. "D," he said, his voice soft and slow.
"Sure you dont just want to go to sleep, you look pretty tired," she said walking in and closing the door. She tried to pull a seductive smile to her face as she crossed over to him. She straddled his lap and threw her arms around his neck. Seth fought to hold his eyes open. D bent over and kissed him. He couldnt even tell if he was kissing her back. He was numbed by the heroin he had just done. Luckily D thought it was coke. He didnt want her to know he was on heroin.
"No one is awake but Martin," she whispered as she remover her lips from his.
Seth's lips parted. He knew he should have been aroused by this, but the drugs were just working too well for all that. He couldnt possibly have sex right now. He knew he should have wanted to...but he didnt. Did he have any coke on hand? He couldnt remember. His hand ran into his pocket to see. "Gimmie a sec," he said pulling the coke out.
"You dont need that," she rolled her eyes with a sigh.
"Maybe," he muttered pouring some onto the side of his fist. He inhaled deeply and within a few minutes began feeling more alert.
D ran her fingers through his hair and kissed him again.
He still needed more coke if he was going to do this. He wanted more but he didnt want D to think he was more of a fiend than she already did. He smiled and ran his fingers up her spine. D looked into his eyes and noticed they were almost solid black.
"Your eyes look black," she whispered.
He glanced away, "Jus da drugs...night time an shit."
"Sometimes I forget what color they are."
"Dont talk D," he said leaning in and kissing her into silence.
"Dont blow me off, Im worried about you," she said softly when his lips had moved away.
"I's straight."
"You always say that...but youre not."
"D," he grumbled not wanting to talk about it.
"No Seth, listen...youre slurring lyrics. Youre getting tripped up when we dance. Martin's noticed you messing up when you play. One minute youre bouncing off the walls...and the next...the next somebodys picking you up off a floor. Youre hooked on all that stuff...arent you?"
"No mo dan you is on dem Xanax you be takin."
"I am hooked on them," she admitted, "but its only Xanax. Youre taking alot of dangerous combinations and youre drinking alot on top of them. Do you think any of us want to lose you?"
Seth let out an audiable sigh to show how much he didnt want to talk about this right now. He would rather psyche himself out about bending D over the end of the couch. All this serious talk was spoiling the mood he was trying so desperately to create.
"Cant you see the drugs are only a paradox?"
"Pair...para..pa...what dat means D?"
"It means something isnt as it seems," she sighed.
"Mmmm," he smiled up at her, "I gots a paradox for ya's," he said pulling her hand onto his lap.
D stood up abruptly. "Could you just be serious for 5 minutes?"
"I's serious," he nodded with a smile.
"No youre not," she almost shouted, "youre just worried about getting laid."
"Hey...yous da one dat sat on my lap...rememba?"
"I cant even talk to you anymore," she shook her head. "Im just gonna go to bed."
Seth rose to his feet, "Come on baby, dont go," he said wrapping her up in his arms. "I's straight," he sighed trying to reassure himself, not to mention her. "Donts go," he whispered pressing his lips to hers. How could she ever resist him? How could she turn down the lips that made her feel so alive? Or those arms that always made her feel so safe? How could she deney his devils smile? She loved him too much to.
Sign up to rate and review this story