Categories > Original > Drama > Misfortune and Gold

Chapter 36: Things Are Looking Up

by sgSixx 0 reviews

for now life is good

Category: Drama - Rating: G - Genres: Drama - Warnings: [?] - Published: 2014-01-27 - 4247 words

1Insightful
CHAPTER 36: THINGS ARE LOOKING UP
December 16, 2009
Los Angeles, California

Martin's phone rang.
Danny looked up at him with a teasing smile. "Maggie?" He asked knowing they couldnt stay off the phone with one another.
Martin looked to his phone and the joy instantly swept away from his face with a deep sigh. "My parents," he answered as he continued to stare at his ringing phone.
"You know you better answer that dude, Maggie will kick your little ass if you dont."
Martin frowned with a nod raising the phone. "Hello?"
"Marty...hi honey," his moms voice said on the other end of the line, "Im calling because your father and I would like to have a little Christmas party Friday night."
"Why?" Martin asked.
"Because youve been gone for almost two years. All of your friends and family are dying to see you. It would be a great chance to get everyone together...and do invite that sweet assistant of yours."
"Shes not just my assistant anymore mom...we are a couple..."
"Really! Thats wonderful, we just love her."
"Me too," he smiled, "But you really dont have to throw a party for me."
"Oh nonsense," she huffed, "besides...its already planned. Im even having an ice sculpture made of a bass guitar."
Martin rolled his eyes. His parents always threw expensively lavish and extravagant affairs with EVERYONE they knew. He had been to more than enough of them as a kid. "Mom I really dont wanna deal with some huge party," he sighed. "I just want to relax you know. Ive been sharing my nights with thousands of strangers for so long...I just need some me time."
"Oh its not going to be huge honey, just a hundred or so."
"Mom I dont even have a hundred friends or relatives."
"You know how it is honey...some people you just have to invite."
He sighed, "Mom you yelled at me for a week straight when I told you about the record deal. You were so mad at me for leaving and going on tour. Why is it that now you want to throw some huge party to say 'Oh look at our son, we're so proud'? You werent proud of me...you said so...you said I was throwing my talent away. So whats changed?"
His mom was silent a moment then he could hear her sigh. "Its true...I had such big dreams for you someday. I just pictured you up on a big stage with some musical instrument, playing some beautiful piece of music you wrote. The audience would be dressed in gowns and top hats and giving you their undivided attention," she paused, "But that just wasnt you...not ever. I tried so hard to fight it, I did, but you always found a way to pull away from anything I wanted you to do. When you got in that band I thought it would just be some experimental phase, something a kid with your talent might try. Then a year led to two...to three...to five...then you call about a recording contract. All I could think was, my son, the boy who can play anything, is going to settle for one or the easier instruments...in a rock band no less. Im not dumb Marty...I know all about the drugs and the girls in that genre. I just felt you could do more. I just wanted you to be safe. She sighed audibly again. Then one day I was standing in line at the grocery store. I looked up and saw a magazine rack...and there you were, on the cover of a magazine. Then it dawned on me...I wouldnt be seeing you there if you had done as I wanted. You always wanted all of the attention of every room you were in when you were little...this makes sense to me now. You ARE the center of attention when youre in your own element...but in mine and your father's...you just feel overshadowed. I understand Marty. You are right where I always wanted you to be after all...you just chose a different route...the easier one for you perhaps."
He sighed, "Its not so easy mom. I work hard...you have no idea, believe me. Im constantly on the go...sleep deprived...getting stalked...I certainly wouldnt say I took the easy road."

December 18, 2009
Los Angeles, California

For some reason Seth awoke bright and early that morning. His eyes fell on D next to him and a smile instantly covered his face. He carefully sat up and got out of bed trying not to wake her. He stood there by the bed a moment watching her sleep before he slipped into his clothes. She looked so beautiful lying there on her stomach with her bare shoulders and back glowing in the morning sun. Why in the world was he getting out of bed and getting dressed? His thoughts began to wander. He didnt want to go back out on tour. Going back would mean he would have to lose her all over again. He wasnt strong enough for that again. He didnt want the world to expect to see him shagging groupies and shallow drug addled celebs. He didnt want to watch roadies getting D drunk and loaded to have their way with her. And he certainly wasnt ready for the easy axcess to the nostop flow of booze and dope.
He squat down next to Ds side of the bed. He rest his chin on the edge just watching her breathe in and out peacefully. Oh why oh why couldnt he just tell her he loved her He should have told her he couldnt picture himself with anyone but her ever again. She was his everything. He watched her a few more minutes before walking into the living room. He cut on the TV which was on Music Vision. He picked up his Dexedrine from the coffee table and took three. His attention was soon caught by the TV.
"Faithless stars, Seth Chandler and Darcy Blackwell may not be dancing for thousands right now due to a scheduled break between the end of their 18 month American/ Canadian tour and the start of their European leg in March. However the two have been spotted together several times in Los Angeles. Sources close to the band say..."
Seth scoffed as he plopped down on the sofa and changed the channel. He hated listening to the press and all their shit. _nd just who were these'sources close to the band'? He saw or heard that phrase almost daily. He was inclined to believe it was Havoc. God how he wished Havoc would just go the hell away. This was all alot more fun befor they came in and blew it up to what it was now. Seth admittedly craved attention, but this was just too much.
Two and a half hours later D finally woke up. She eventually staggered into the living room with squinted,half asleep, hungover eyes. She had slipped into some little black silky spaghetti strap number. Seth's eyes fell on her thinking of how incredibly sexy she looked. A huge gleam lit up his face.
"Come 'ere," he said patting his lap with an even more devious smirk.
D yawned and nonchalantly replied, "No lap dances until four..."
Seth laughed.
"I need some of your Dexedrine this morning," she said with another big yawn.
He nodded to the bottle sitting on her coffee table. He grabbed them and tossed them in her direction. "Break out some Xanax for me den."
D's reflexes werent working so good so she missed the bottle he tossed at her and it rolled into the wall. She tossed him her Xanax which was just beside the TV. She thought she might catch him by surprise, but no. He reached up with his left hand and caught it a mere 3 inches from his face. For a moment she must have forgotten that this used to be Mr. MVP in everything.
Seth opened to bottle, "S'a ya's gone get dressed or what"
"Why?" She shrugged.
"We's got Christmas shoppin ta do...gone be a long ass day wit da press followin us an crazed fans wantin autographs an pictas...We's betta gets started."
D nodded with a frown. She hated trying to go out in public anymore. It had become such a hassle, especially without Jim Jay and Javier. She had really taken for granted the work that they did until they came home without them. Luckily she had Seth with her. He would die trying to defend her, this she already knew and had seen many times.

December 21, 2009
Los Angeles, California

Martin dialed Maggie's number as he sat in the window watching cars go by in his and Danny's high rise loft downtown.
"Hello," she gleefully answered.
"Hey baby," he smiled, "I miss you."
"Awe...I miss you too," she said softly.
"Good...so I was thinking...Maybe I could just fly out and spend Christmas with you..."
"But...I...Im with my family."
"Yeah," he said, "I know, I wanna meet them. Youve met my parents...I should meet yours."
"Im glad you want to meet them," she paused, "but...I dont think...its just not a good idea...ok?"
"Why?" He asked with an offended tone.
"Because youre a bass player...in a band...and Im supposed to be your assistant," she stammered.
"Yeah...so?" He replied.
"So...to my parents it would look bad...like Im some sort of slut."
"No it doesnt," he sighed.
"But to MY parents it would!" She blurted.
"Is this mainly because Im a rock star?" He skeptically asked.
"Well that too...they think...well they think all rocks stars are like you were say 8 months ago...and theyre not entirely wrong. Your world is absolutely crazy sometimes...Just trust me...theyd hate you before they ever lay eyes on you."
"I can be quite charming you know," he interjected.
"It wouldnt even matter...their stupid stereotypes are etched in stone."
"So," he paused, "youre saying that they dont even know about me...about us?" He asked feeling a bit hurt.
"Well of course not! Why the hell would I tell them?"
Martin couldnt speak. He very much wanted a serious relationship with her. How could he have that when her parents knew nothing about him? Even if they did know they were going to automatically disapprove? Why Was he a bad guy? "Maggie...were together...now...tomorrow...for as long as you'll have me. I love you...but how..."
Maggie cut him off sharply. "I know! I know ok!"
"Come on...just let me meet them. Its the right thing to do. It doesnt matter if they disapprove or if they hate me...we're grown. This isnt the dark ages where we need their permission," he plead his case
"Look...its not going to go good, I promise. Please. Lets just get the inevitable over with.
Theyll say no if I mention it to them. * dont want to have to make you surprise or shock them like that."
"I dont care Maggie...Im coming for you...not them."

Seth and D lay reclined on one another on her couch. His fingertips traced her legs draped across him. D could feel that they were now smooth and callused over. They werent scratchy now from the constant injuries from his guitar strings. They had had time to heal since he hadnt picked up a guitar in months. Seth breathed in that sweet apple smell lingering on her. This was like heaven.
"I wish it could always be like this, she softy spoke.
He made no response as he inhaled another lung full of apple. He wanted this too, just as she did, but he wasnt an idiot. He knew what lie ahead in the near distant future when they went back out on the road. He looked to her, "You's still my girl?"
She tenderly smiled with a warming heart and nodded.
"Always?" He asked softly.
She nodded again and nuzzled her head on his chest.
God he loved her. "You's deserve s'a much mo dan dis baby...betta dan me."
"But I only want you," she softly answered.
He gently lift her chin up to look at him. "Yous da only thang I's eva needed." The words 'I love you' would have fit nicely here, but he couldnt get it out. That ever present look of sedation was there in her beautiful turquoise eyes. He softly brushed his lips over hers. "One day...We's aint gone have ta hide no mo. I's promise baby."
"Is that what you want?" She asked rather hopeful.
He nodded. "I's wants ta be wit you's...only you's...for real...my lady."
D smiled trying not to cry. "Like your girlfriend?" She asked.
He nodded.
"Thats all Ive ever wanted."
If only one of them had the audacity to say the words, 'I love you'. It was now official. They were together.

Brian awoke in the night to hear the faint sounds of an acoustic guitar being played. It sounded like it was coming from the garage. He knew it was his house guest he couldnt get rid of, Madison. He was none too happy about it either. She had him right where she wanted him with no prenuptials and he knew it. In a divorce he would lose half of everything. He was stuck with her. She had worked out a deal with him that he had no choice but to agree to. It had been made into official legual documentation. He had to remain married to her for one whole year. Then at the end of that year if he didnt have a change of heart she would grant him a divorce and leave with nothing. So he agreed. It was really the only shot he had.
However ther was just something about a chick that could play guitar. That was probably his favorite thing about her. She did have some other notably good traits too. She was caring and helpful. Looking back, maybe he had started to look at her as his girlfriend. Yet, it just didnt look good in the press...Brian Ward marries groupie. The girl had yellow hair and was covered in tattoos. He didnt belong with a girl like that. He wanted a wife that could be presented respectfully. He wanted one that hadnt been a groupie.
He sighed and sat up in his bed. He strained to hear her playing, but couldnt. He got up and walked through the house, stopping at the garage door for a better listen. Now he recognized what she was playing. It was one of their songs. He could even hear her softly humming the words. He faintly smiled as he listened. She had taken one of their faster songs and made it an Acapulco version. She sounded nice, he liked it. He was tempted to go in and play along, but he didnt want to lead her on. She was just an extension of him now, not a girlfriend, and certainly not a wife.

December 24, 2009
Wichita, Kansas

Silence encompassed the dinner table as Martin sat eating with Maggie's family. So far they had not been very welcoming. They said hello at their introduction and that had pretty much been it. Maggie hadnt wanted to tell them he was a musician. Martin saw their noses turn up at his very apperance. He had tried to tone down the rock star attire and dress down some but the long black hair with red chunks and tattoos peeking out from his sleeves didnt help.
"This is really good baked ham Mrs. Neilson," Martin cordially spoke breaking the silence.
Maggies mom only smiled seeming nervous and figity.
"Oh hey," Maggie piped up, "after supper I thought we might all go down to the family room and sing Christmas carols...like we used to."
"Your Aunt Ruby isnt here to play the piano," Her mother noted.
"Oh...well I play piano," Martin chimed in.
"I thought you played a...a...bass thing," Fer father frowned never once looking away from his food.
"Well my dads a big time concert pianist...and my mom plays for the LA symphony...Ive been around music all my life. My dad taught me piano at 3."
"Martin is a true prodigy. He can play any instrument you put in front of him," Maggie proudly smiled.
Maggies mom gave the same fake smile as before. "Whats your fathers name?"
"Dom Chase."Martin said.
Her parents glanced to one another, they had heard of him. But was this person really his son. He claimed he was named Martin Chase. Then Martin replied interrupting their glares.
"Yeah Im a Jr actually."
"A Jr?" His mom asked confused as to what he was talking about.
"My name...Ive got my dads name...Martin Dominic Chase...Jr. They always just called me Marty...I got older and wanted to be martin because I felt it sounded better."
"So," piped up Maggie's sister Mary Looking to Martin and Maggie, "Youre going back on tour soon?"
"In March," Martin nodded. "Europe."
"It must be exciting," Mary spoke excitedely.
Martin shrugged, "I grew up traveling all the time so its not new to me. Ive already been everywhere were going before with my dad. But Maggies really excited about it. She wants to see so many things we'd have to stay a year after the tour to see them all."
"So," her father said finally looking at Martin. His tone was firm. "What does some young, rich, world traveled, rock star want with a plain simple girl like my Maggie? Shouldnt you be dating Models, actresses...porn stars?"
~artin drew in a breath and lay his fork down trying to control the smart ass impulses he wanted to do and say. He glared to her dad. Maggie just knew he was going to lose it. Then she could see him struggling to calm himself.
"Because I love her," he calmly stated.
"Love?" her father smirked, "What could some 23 year old rock star know about love?"
Martins teeth pressed together so tightly the felt like they could crush. "Sir...with all due respect...you dont know me. You dont even want to try to. Maggie and I are very much in love. Your opinion of that really doesnt matter one way or the other. I love her anyway. Shes a beautiful grown woman whos traveling the world now, I know youre proud of her for that. You know, we dont have to spend holidays here. I have a family who loves Maggie. When we get back from Europe Im buying Maggie a house in LA and we'll be fine...with of without your consent. And if this rock star thing doesnt work out...obviously I have plenty of other options I could choose from in music...so..."
Her father only frowned and continued eating looking none too happy. Maggie smiled proudly at Martin for standing up to his dad in the most respectful way possible.

Seth watched as D slept in the bed beside him. His Concentration had been a bit off again last night as he had made love to D. He knew he was playing with fireN but he just didnt care anymore. Maybe a tiny part of him wanted to get D pregnant. "e just couldnt stop thinking about her and how she was officially his. He knew Havoc wasnt going to accept it and their livelihoods were in danger if they found out. He knew the concenquences of being so careless could be detrimental. But he just didnt care anymore. He finally got the concept of what a family was. He always wanted a family, all orphans do! It was time for change and he wanted D to be part of the changes. She was his. And his heart was hers. No matter what or who, He had had D on his mind every day for seven years. It never faded. It had to be real. He loved her when the days were good. He loved her when they were bad. He loved her when he was with someone else, not to mention when she too was with another. Despite the hurt she left him with when she took a morning after pill, he loved her. And the root of his terrible heroin addiction, her not remembering him finally telling her that he loved her, almost killed him, but he loved her still. It was going nowhere, ever. It was aligned in the stars for her to be his.
He smiled as he mused how much they really were like Romeo and Juliet. Star crossed love at first sight. Instead of dueling families forbidding them to be together, there was Havoc. But they defy those who try to keep them apart and just do it in secret. Even the part where Romeo finds Juliet, thinking shes dead, and kills himself, would have most likely have been how it would have played out if D had died of that overdose. But their story thankfully hadnt ended there. It was still being written. He smiled remembering how D used to call him Romeo actually. Ironic. And here she was, his Juliet.
He was going to give her a happy ending. He was going to turn this tragedy into nothing but the bliss of the ending of a chick flick. He was going to give D everything she deserved someday. He had such high hopes for them. They were going to get through this. They were going to be happy someday. One day all this Havoc shit would be over. Their love would get them through it.

January 5, 2010
Hollywood, California

So The guys attended their first music awards ceremony. They may as well have been given seats on the stage. they barely made it back to their seats before they were called back up to recieve another award. When they heard '...and the winner is...Faithless' for the first time words couldnt express their joy. They ruled the night and went home it's biggest winners. Their first award was for best band. In addition they won best album of the year, best video, and best live performance.
Much to his surprise Brian won the award for best guitarist. When he stood up he gave daps, hand shakes and hugs to his band mates. Havoc was trying to promote he and Madison as the perfect married couple. Under those pretenses he pulled her to him and kissed his new bride, which would be expected. As he walked up to the stage to accept his award D and the guys all began chanting, "Guitar Star, Guitar Star, Guitar Star!"
Then the moment came. "And the winner is...Seth Chandler!" Seth gave zero thought to pulling D into his arms and kissing her as cameras flashed at them. He tried to make it look platonic but it was hard for the excitement he felt. He went up to the stage with his swaggering strut through other celebrities congratulating him. They gave him a standing ovation. He shined up on that stage with that award in his hand. He couldnt believe this was really happening. He felt so proud.
"Ya's know...I aint neva dreamed I'sd be standin here doin dis...thank you's," he smiled holding his award up in the air.
On the red carpet they were swamped with photographers and reporters all wanting their full attention. It was crazy. Their heads were spinning from the flashing of cameras. They were on top of the world. They got to meet so many fellow musicians that they listened to or admired. Seth got to meet the RNB great Kwiklyne. He also got to meet his favorite rapper since childhood, Xtreme. Seth was completely star struck by him.
Seth and Xtreme hit it off from the get go. Afterwards he took Seth and D out for drinks. After several drinks they ened up on a private plane to Xtreme's house in Houston, Texas. Xtreme wanted to lay some tracks with Seth. Everything the kid touched turned to gold. They stayed almost two full weeks there. when they werent in Xtreme's studio they were on his basketball court shooting hoops.
Seth was so excited to record with Xtreme. He never thought one of the tracks would see the radio, but one became a number one Hip Hop hit. Xtreme even had Seth and D be in the video. The rest of the guys were sort of mad at Seth for recording with Xtreme. They made it seem as if he were going to leave the band. It wasnt a long shot to see Seth become some rapper since he loved rap so much.
They werent so mad anymore when their second album was released on Valentines Day. It debuted at number one. It was titled 'Secrets' as a representation of the secret Seth and D were keeping about being together. As Seth had promised, D graced its cover. It showed her with her head rested on a door frame. The look on her face was hard to tell if it were tired or upset. Soon after Havoc had them back to work during what was supposed to be their vacation promoting themselves again.
Sign up to rate and review this story