Categories > Books > Harry Potter > A Different Sort of Bond

Chapter 24

by Balder 2 reviews

Talking to Bill.

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: R - Genres: Humor,Romance - Warnings: [!] [?] - Published: 2014-09-04 - Updated: 2014-09-04 - 3279 words

5Original
A Different Sort of Bond

Disclaimer: See previous chapters.

Chapter 24
Neville and Tracey came over with the rest of the Davis family and made the present opening a multi-family affair. Harry was worried he’d be getting clothes from most people but he was happy to be wrong. When he asked later Daphne told him she had already updated his wardrobe so no one had felt he needed anything new to wear at the time. They were all seated around the living room. There was a tree decorated with ornaments in front of the window and and scented Yule logs on the fire.

Mrs. Greengrass seated everyone and made sure they had a mug of something hot and a small plate of cookies nearby. She seated Harry, Daphne, Tracey, and Neville on one long couch and the married adults in loveseats. While she did that Mr. Greengrass sorted the presents into piles and levitated them in front of each recipient. Once everyone had been seated and had a pile of presents he said, “Children first!” Everyone turned to look at the four on the couch.

Harry decided he’d go first. He picked up a box and opened it, “Wow, a new pocket knife. Thanks Neville!”

Neville said, “You’re welcome Harry. You broke your last one on our trip to the Ministry last year so I knew you needed a new one.”

Daphne opened her gift from him and despite his whispered plea to leave it in the box she lifted it out to show everyone. “Matching red silk bra and knickers? With gold trim? Is this your idea of punishment for all those days I made you wear green trimmed black?” She smirked, “But if its underwear then how will anyone know? Are you planning to flash me at your friends when we return?”

“Of course not!” Harry said. He blushed, “Nobody but the two of us were supposed to see them.”

“That’s not how our families work Harry,” she replied.

“The old pagan families tend to be very open about sex and nudity,” Neville said. He smiled, “As you should have noticed by now. In fact according to Great Uncle Algie the Longbottoms used to be pagan when he was a kid before becoming Christian while he was in school.”

“So you’ll be leading the family back in that direction now then?” Harry asked.

“Maybe,” Neville shrugged. “No reason to decide right now.” He handed a brightly wrapped gift to his fiancee, “Open my gift first Tracey.”

She did and found a sash patterned in the Longbottom tartan. She hugged him, “Thank you! I’ll wear it over my clothes every day after we get back. So the whole school will know I’m proud to be Mrs. Longbottom.”

Neville blushed, “I, uh, thank you. I’m glad you’re happy with it.”

“You're next Nev,” she said.

He opened his to find a school robe trimmed in Gryffindor colors. As he was showing everyone Tracey said, “It’s enchanted to resist rips and stains and to adjust to fit either a man or a woman of any height or girth. So you’ll be able to wear it throughout the year regardless.”

Neville smiled, “Thank you. That was very thoughtful.”

Daphne said, “I wanted to drag you maternity shopping with us next year but she insisted you’d prefer a set of those.”

Neville grinned and kissed Tracey’s cheek, “Thank you twice over then.”

They continued to take turns and Neville ended up with three other adjustable robes and a complete set of formal clothes for when he officially takes control of the Longbottom family. He also got a book from Tracey’s father listing all the ingredients Davis Inc. sells and the plants they come from.

“I’ve got most of these growing at the moment,” Neville told Mr. Davis. “I’ll start growing the rest once I’m back on my family’s estate.”

“No hurry,” was the reply. “I just remembered you had asked and was stuck for a present to give.” Mr. Davis smiled, “If you want to keep the profits all in the family though, I certainly won’t object.”

Tracey rolled her eyes at that. Since everyone knew that she and Daphne were planning a big shopping expedition in early spring she hadn’t gotten any clothes other than the tartan sash. Her presents were mostly books on pregnancy as well as a goodly supply of chocolate. Someone who had refused to put a name to their package had sent her a book on dealing with a difficult mother in law. She had joked about it but secretly hoped it actually had good advice. Neville grandmother had a reputation as a fierce old dragon lady.

Daphne had also gotten chocolate, as well as books on advanced magic, the history of magical bonds, and on the running of charitable foundations.

“Should I ask why Daphne was given those books instead of me?” Harry asked with a wry grin.

Daphne’s uncle Anders just grinned but her father replied, “We know that she has the background needed to understand them. From what we understand you’ve never been interested in such things.”

Harry nodded and said, “True, and somewhat unfortunate as it turned out. I should learn the basics myself but I suppose I can grab some beginner’s books on finance while on the shopping trip Daphne is planning.”

Tracey giggled then and when asked explained her thought, “I just realized Harry will have come along on every shopping trip and have to be in the dressing room with her while she tries on each and every item. Poor boy, I feel sorry for him already.”

Harry snorted, “So sorry that you had to giggle?” Then he shrugged, “I’m sure I’ll get used to it in time and the benefits definitely outweigh the minuses.”

Daphne smiled at him and leaned in for a kiss, “I’m glad to hear you think so.”

Harry’s other presents had been new sports gear and some guides to magical customs. He smiled at the latter, “I’m happy to see these. As much as I end up in the news it will be good to know how to avoid making ignorant mistakes.”

Mr. Greengrass nodded, “I’m sure there are things you’d like to change about the way things are done but you have to understand them first in order to have the best chance to change them and do so intelligently.”

Once all the presents had been opened Daphne brought out a spiral notebook, “I’m so glad you explained these to me Harry. They are excellent for planning and organizing.”

Harry said, “So are we calling Madam Bones first or the goblin in charge of the foundation?”

“Neither,” Daphne said. “We’ll call the Weasleys first to confirm being there on the twenty-fifth. Then check on the foundation.” She sighed, “Then we’ll see about Tori.”

Tracey smiled, “Afterward you are wanted over at the Davis residence for fittings. The wedding is January second remember? Even with magic it will take hours to decide on proper dresses and make sure they’ll fit.”

Harry surprised her by laughing, “You’ll need Hermione for that right?”

Tracey still looked confused, “Of course. Mum is going to apparate over and get her. Why does that make you laugh?”

“She’ll get a chance to practice what she preaches then is all,” Harry said.

Daphne figured it out first, “You mean all her talk about not being embarrassed by nudity?”

Harry nodded, “Yes. I’m not a hundred percent certain mind you but I’d bet money that she’ll feel differently when the shoe is on the other foot.”

Neville laughed, “I wouldn’t take that bet, that’s for sure. You’ll have to let me know what happens.”

“Won’t you be there Nev?” Harry asked.

“Of course not,” Neville said. “I’m the groom, remember?”

Harry nodded, “Right. So I’ll be the only guy in the room.”

Daphne smirked, “Don’t worry dear, I’ll protect you.”

Harry snorted in disbelief, “Let’s go see if Bill is back at the Burrow yet.” It turned out Bill was there and surprisingly, or perhaps not, happy to come over and chat.

Harry shook his hand, “It’s great to see you again Bill.” Then his eyes widened as Fleur stepped out of the fireplace behind him.

“Surprised to see me ma amie?” she said and kissed both his cheeks. “I thought Ronald had told you.”

“I think he decided to prank me,” replied Harry with a grin. “He told Bill was engaged to, and I quote, ‘some French bird’.”

Fleur laughed at that, “I think perhaps he had not gotten word yet when he said that.” She turned to Daphne and kissed her cheeks too, “You are Daphne no? I hear much about you. Do you remember me from your Fourth Year?”

Harry took Daphne's hand and introduced them, “Fleur, this my girlfriend Daphne. Daphne, this is my friend and fellow competitor, Fleur Delacour." He grinned, "Apparently Bill got almost as lucky as I did and is engaged to her."

Bill chuckled quietly at that and said, "I might have to disagree about which one of us is the luckiest but I agree we are both very lucky."

Daphne smiled and kissed Fleur back, "Any friend of Harry is a friend of mine." She looked at Harry, "why don't you describe to Bill what we need and I'll take Fleur over to a corner and share some of my chocolate."

As Daphne led Fleur to a corner Harry said, "Bill I need your professional help. I can pay but I'd rather keep it quiet. I can give you an oath that it's necessary to the war effort if that helps?"

Bill looked grim at Harry's words but needed only a brief moment of thought before he spoke, "Harry, I do not need an oath. I'm sure you wouldn't say it was important if it wasn't and you saved the life of my father and sister not to mention what you did for Fleur and Gabrielle. Anything you need I'll be happy to help with." He looked over at the corner containing Daphne and Fleur, "Actually we should bring Fleur in on this. She is learning to be a Curse breaker so it would be valuable experience for her."

Harry raised an eyebrow and opened his mouth to tease the other man but Bill cut him off, "I've heard it all already Harry. The twins spent most of yesterday coming up with new puns and innuendo. They are half the reason we were eager to come visit."

Harry nodded, "I can guess the other half." Then he shrugged, "If you think she can help then invite her over by all means. Fair warning though. Daphne is quite blunt and very perceptive."

Bill nodded then called out, "Dear? Come listen to this."

Fleur looks up and to Harry's embarrassment holds up the red silk thong he bought Daphne, "Harry? Vous Garcon! I see you have grown up considerably since we last met. I can't fault your taste though. In both women and lingerie."

Harry covers his face with his hands blushing as red as any Weasley, "I should never have bought that regardless of any advice."

Bill chuckled, "I dunno Harry. It looks like it was a hit."

As Daphne walks back over with Fleur she adds, "Actually everything I'm wearing right now came from Harry. He seems to enjoy dressing me."

"Harry!" Fleur called out surprised. "You have surprisingly good taste in women's clothes. Especially considering your taste in men's clothing. Perhaps after our business is done you might assist me in some shopping? I have not been able to find clothes to my taste in Diagon Alley but it seems as if you've had better luck."

Harry shrugs, "It's actually the result of poor negotiation on my part. I got to dress her like a Gryffindor and she dressed me like some tribal chieftain of old." Harry then grins at Bill, "I'll let her negotiate your fee."

Fleur smirks, "If you can get Bill to wear that then I shall not ask for even one knut for my curse breaking expertise."

Daphne suddenly giggled, "Actually, all of the clothes both of us are wearing are conjured." Daphne inhaled straining against the golden fabric of her blouse, "Are you worried Harry? Maybe you should call for Neville to bring a blanket you can throw over me just in case. Before your friend gets an eyeful? Or your other friend thinks I'm flirting with her man?"

Both Bill and Fleur smiled at that and looked at Harry. Harry said, "She's almost too much to handle but I'm enjoying every minute of it." He turned to Daphne, "Can you wait until after I explain before you get frisky?"

She mock pouted, "But they won't be in the mood then."

Harry sobered, "It has to do with T.M. Riddle and the dark thing of his you found in the chamber."

Bill put up several privacy spells around the four of them then asked, "You've found more?"

Harry nodded, "Yes, Hermione assumed he made either 3 or seven since we know he made more than one."

Daphne scowled, "Dumbledore admitted the diary was one but tried to convince us not to do anything about them. He was even upset your team destroyed one. I sometimes wonder about that old man and what side he's really on."

Bill and Fleur looked shocked at that. Harry hastened to add, "I think he was mostly upset because he doesn't think anyone else can destroy them properly. Still I wish he'd said something then. About a lot of things."

"Harry's scar was one too," Daphne said. "And that senile old wanker wasn't going to tell him!"

Fleur and Bill looked immediately towards the scar and Harry nodded, "Yes, it was in the scar. An Unspeakable removed it with help from Daphne. I owe her my life because without her pushing I wouldn't have even asked him about it."

Fleur was suddenly kissing Daphne again, "Merci mille fois!" Fleur lost her English entirely and went on in French.

Harry was surprised when Daphne turned out to speak French and answered in that language. As they talked Harry turned back to Bill, "We started looking for more and found one stashed away at Hogwarts. Daphne also mentioned the Gaunt shack as a possible location and your brother agreed so I was hoping you'd come along as I also hear it's magically protected. If we find one there and destroy it then along with the one the headmaster states he already destroyed at headquarters that would only one left."

Bill was nodding, "And if we get them all he'll be mortal even if he doesn't just fall apart when his last anchor goes."

"That's possible?" Harry asked.

Bill nodded, "From what you described his current body was created by the ritual. unless they added a horcrux to the cauldron before you got there it does not actually contain a piece of his soul. It's just a construct he can possess and control. If we can destroy any remaining links to the world of the living he might just fall apart. Even if he doesn't, it shouldn't take much to destroy his current shell. The tricky part will be the horcruxes."

"Oui," Fleur said, returning to the main conversation. "I shall offer my assistance gratis for Le sauveur de ma sœur et moi. William, what say you?"

Bill snorted, "Like I owe him any less than you? Of course I'll help! When do we go to the Gaunt shack?"

"I was hoping to go on Boxing Day," Harry said. But anytime before school starts back up will work for me. Except the second, because Tracey is getting married that day and we are both in the wedding party."

"That will be fine," Bill said. "Just floo us when you are ready to go and we'll come over. Let me know if you need help with the last one and I'll help with that one too. If I'm working then you'll have to hire me but if not then you just have to call."

"Oui," Fleur said. "That goes for us both. I still want you to go shopping with me sometime though Harry. That is a lovely blouse you conjured. It reminds me of one I bought in Paris."

"Him too," Daphne said. "He said he patterned it from a silvery one you wore." She smirked, "It must have made a strong impression on him. Or maybe it was the woman inside that did."

Fleur smiled, "If it did then he gave no sign. He had more self control at fourteen than many men three times his age. I hope it goes without saying that you need not worry about me ma nouvelle amie? I am an old married woman or nearly so. I am no threat to anyone's beau."

"Good, then you can help me beat off the girls that will come flocking to him when we go shopping?" Daphne said. While hugging Fleur she whispered "I know I sound like a jealous wench sometimes but pay no attention. I just get insecure sometimes."

Fleur hugged her back and whispered, "I know. We all do now then. Even the prettiest of us." Out loud she said, "If we are beating the girls off Harry who will be beating the boys off us?"

"Hermione and Tracey?" Daphne said and giggled.

Just then Molly voice came from the fire, "Harry? Harry dear? Are Bill and Fleur still there? I wanted to show Fleur how to cook some proper British meals for Bill once they get married and we can use Bill's help with the Christmas tree. I think the twins did something to it."

Harry stepped out of the privacy charms area of effect and said, "I'll go get him Mrs. Weasley."

"Oh thank you dear," she replied. "Just send them through when you find them."

Once he was sure the floo call had disconnected Bill removed the privacy charms.

Harry said, "Well I guess we need to cut this short. We'll be by on the 25th with presents for all of you and to stay for Christmas dinner. Then we'll call you the next day for our little project."

Bill shook Harry's hand, "We'll see you then Harry. Take care." He kissed Daphne's hand, "Try not to give him too hard a time huh? He's a good guy."

Daphne smiled, "Yes, I've noticed." She kissed Fleur's cheeks and said "Au revoir."

Fleur kissed both of them and said "Until Le jour du Père Noël."

After they'd left Daphne turned to Harry and said, "I'd forgotten you saved her from the imperiused Krum in the third task. You do know that most teenage males would not have turned down the reward I'm sure she offered you."

"I didn't do it for a reward," Harry said frowning. "Accepting one, monetary or otherwise, would have cheapened the gesture."

"I'm not arguing Harry," she said. "It just hits me sometimes how amazing your life has been."

Harry snorted, "Amazing is not the word I'd use. Come on, let's get through your to do list then I need to go shopping for one more present."

Daphne nodded and pulled out her notebook to double check the floo address of their goblin fund manager and the Bones family, "Certainly Harry."
Sign up to rate and review this story