Categories > Original > Fantasy > Princess Nevermore

Chapter 2

by Azarath 0 reviews

Category: Fantasy - Rating: G - Genres: Fantasy - Warnings: [X] [?] - Published: 2014-09-04 - 728 words

0Unrated
It was dark outside. Peter paced the halls, feeling like a caged animal. In a sense, he almost was. He snorted at the thought, momentarily still.

It was Peter's second month in the castle, and every night Princess Nevermore disappeared. No matter where he looked, he couldn't find her inside the castle, and all the doors leading outside sealed at night. He would pace the halls, searching, until finally falling into bed around dawn. When he awoke, she was always back in the castle, bags under her eyes but freshly bathed and dressed.

He growled in frustration as he thought about her. She was true to her word. Provided clothes, food, and shelter, he had been put straight to work. She sent him on many errands, always made sure he would be able to return to the castle by dusk.

He had been used for other things as well. When she discovered how well he could cook, she instructed he make her dinner every night. However, after he attempted to serve her on the first night and was caught peering down the front of her bodice, she bade him sit with her at the other end of her round oak table.

He never spoke during these meals, and neither did she. After, he would watch her go and walk her garden until dusk, and then disappear.

Where does she go? he wondered. Maybe into the woods...No! A woman like her? In the woods with wolves, and other predators? Ha! She wouldn't last a night.

Peter was brought out of his mind by the sudden blast of air through an open window, followed by a flicker of heat. Shaking his head, he rushed to the window and was amazed at what he saw.

Moonlight reflected off of red scales, a single one larger than his head. No-where had he seen a color that pronounced than Princess Nevermore's hair...

Pushing that thought aside, he felt the color drain from his face as he realized what the vibrant scales belonged to: a dragon in flight.

She was beautiful, her wingspan spreading over the width of her body. Enormous crimson wings beat the air as she glided into the night, tail swishing behind her. Her appearance was lovely, graceful, and dangerous.

Suddenly, the dragon roared, releasing a blue-white cloud of dragon flame. Evaporating before it hit the trees, it was seemingly harmless, but Peter stumbled back out of sheer shock. The heat schorched his forhead, singeing his eyebrows even from hundreds of yards away. He, however, was not the only one to be surprised. The dragon stilled, and in the process, stopped beating her wings.

Peter ran back to the window in time to see the beautiful dragon fall into the trees, and out of sight.

~

Oh, what am I going to do? Princess Nevermore's brain cried. He saw you, you insolent pup! You have to speak to him, lie, say something!!!

The princess was standing above a sleeping Peter, his brown hair curling now that it had grown out from his months in the castle. He looked like an angel, but he snored like a bear. She scrunched up her nose at the sound and giggled when he snorted in his sleep.

She realized she had woken him a second before his eyes opened to hers. His green eyes met her blue ones, and she knew that he knew what she was. Looking at the floor, she opened her mouth to speak.

"I'm sorry I have decieved you like this. I am a dragon...Please, feel free to leave whenever you wish. I'm so...." Princess Nevermore trailed off when she saw that Peter was right in front of her. Looking up, she saw the flame in his eyes, and had learned to recognise it now. She felt herself blush, but couldn't look away from his strange green eyes.

"I know what you are. I do not care. You're my friend. I will alway be here for you." His voice was like gravel, filling her heart with his words. She felt her eyes sting with tears as he opened his arms. She fell into them, and her heart whispered three words:

I love you.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey, guys! School just started a few weeks ago, so I havent been posting. I should do it more often now, though. Feedback is appreciated!! Thanks!
Sign up to rate and review this story