Categories > Cartoons > Class of the Titans > Light in the darkness

nereid tears

by StrangerWithCandy 4 reviews

In the dakness of the school Theresa finds a mysterious room, but stranger still is what's inside.

Category: Class of the Titans - Rating: PG - Genres: Fantasy - Published: 2006-08-12 - Updated: 2006-08-12 - 4214 words

1Original
light in the darkness
I can't believe I'm already doing my fifth chapter.


Let me just apologize now if this chapter is a bit dull, I'm am working my way up to a really great climax so bear with me folks.

Oh and one quick change to the last few chapters. I'd been calling Persephone's room her office but on the show it's called a solarium, so I'll call it that from now on.

And hey I just realized I haven't done any disclaimers for my last few chapters, so here's one for the entire story: Though I love CotT I do not own it. If I did there would be some definite changes, 1) Apollo wouldn't be some fat Euro-trash reject. 2) Hades would have a more masculine voice (The one he has now freaked me out when I first heard it) and 3) I would give everyone better shoes. I mean the footwear they're sporting now is just ugly.

Okay even I thought that was random, anyway on with chapter 5!
---

Theresa winced as she peeled off the yellowing gauze that wrapped around her hand. Her fingers stung horribly and her wrist had turned an interesting array of purple, black and green. She hissed through her teeth as she tried to rub it. Quickly she snatched up another roll of gauze and hurriedly rewrapped herself. She sighed and miserably looked out the large window in the training arena.

Hera had bewitched it to make it look as if she was looking out on the New Olympia cityscape. As if she didn't miss her freedom enough. She gave one last scowl to the taunting scenery and rose to her feet. Maybe a little exploring would cheer her up.

As she wandered the corridors she found her feet taking her back to the portal that led to the high school. When she neared, she could hear the unmistakable voices of Chiron and Hephaestus. Carefully she crept closer and peered around a tall marble pillar. Chiron stood watching as Hephaestus knelt on the floor beside the swirling blue portal. His back was turned to Theresa, so she couldn't see what he was doing. Chiron whispered something to him; she couldn't make out what he said but could hear the anxiety in his voice. Straining her ears, she inched closer to the pair.

"Hurry will you, we must finish before she tries to escape." The half horse god said, stamping his hoof in impatience.

"Relax. Besides, why would she want to escape? Didn't Hera tell her what's going to happen if she does?"

Chiron sighed. "No, she believes that it shall only upset her."

"Yeah, I bet." Hephaestus said.

Theresa bit her tongue to keep herself from cursing. It was obvious who they were talking about.

"There you go, all done. No way she's getting out this way." Hephaestus grunted as he hauled himself back to his feet.

"Yes but can anyone else get in?"

"Oh sure. This lock is programmed to shield the portal only from Theresa. Watch." Hephaestus grinned with excitement as he dug his hand into his pocket. Finally he pulled out what he was looking for; three strands of long orange hair, her hair.

"You may want to stand back, not sure how powerful this thing is."

"Didn't you test it?"

"Test... yeah that would have been a good idea." Hephaestus stammered, pulling on a pair of goggles.

"Are you saying you nev-"

But the centaur's last words were drowned out as the god of fire tossed the hair at the portal. A sudden blinding light filled the hall, followed by a thundering explosion. Theresa ducked as debris came flying toward her. Thick black smoke billowed down the hall and the smell of burning hair greeted her nostrils.

As the smoke cleared Theresa looked around the now blackened pillar. The two gods stood with their backs turned to her. Small fires flickered around their feet. Hephaestus swayed unbalanced and turned to Chiron, chuckling. He pulled his goggles off his blackened face, and Theresa could see two white circles around his eyes where they had protected his skin.

Chiron spun around to glare at the reckless god, or at least tried to glare. It turned out the burning hair that Theresa had smelled was in fact the centaur's fur. His once thick beard and eyebrows were now completely singed off and the fur on his horse half had burned away, revealing large pink patches of skin.

Hephaestus rubbed the back of his head. "Guess I should have tested."

Chiron snorted angrily at him and turned, swatting him with the charred remains of his tail. The god of beasts stormed away yelling over his shoulder, "I suggest you try again, so that we don't kill her!"

Theresa's mouth hung open as she saw the full damage done to the corridor. The walls and ceiling were streaked with black soot, and the long detailed tapestry that had hung along it was now a smoldering heap of ash. The flames were slowly dieing and Theresa could see where they had eaten away a large hole in the wall. One of the pillars that had gotten the worst of the blast had crumbled; she assumed that was the debris that had flown at her head.

Suddenly she felt something warm trickle down her cheek. She reached up to her forehead where she was starting to feel a sharp pain. Drawing back her fingers she saw they were streaked with blood.

She didn't have time to worry though, for at that moment Hera stormed down the hall, her eyes blazing with anger. Definitely not wanting to be caught, Theresa quickly turned and fled down the hall.

She ran as fast as she could, clutching her head to stop the flow of blood. It wasn't really that bad of a wound but Theresa had seen enough of that defense shield to be afraid.

She had no idea where she was going; she just had to get away. Her surroundings began to look unfamiliar, and the stone halls began to look dirtier and ancient. She kept running until the hallways grew dark and grey. The old stones in the floor became uneven and jagged. She tripped and fell hard on her knees. Pain shot through her as if she had just fallen on glass. But she couldn't stop running. She limped, dragging her tired and bruised body, as fast as she could. Deeper and farther she ran into the maze, tearing through cobwebs that hung overhead. Her eyes glowed with the fear and madness of a trapped animal.

Her head pounded from the gash that ran along her forehead. She wheezed and coughed as the swirling dust that she kicked in to the air as she ran, flew into her mouth, coating her throat. But as her vision blurred and she swayed on her feet she finally admitted her defeat and sank to the ground.

The silence rang in her ears, her heart thudding wildly against her ribs. For the first time she looked around to take in her surroundings. She was in a large circular room with a high towering ceiling. Farther down, she could just make out a small door cloaked in darkness.

Sheer exhaustion finally began to take its toll on her as she laid her head back on the ground. She knew she couldn't sleep; if she didn't stop the bleeding soon there was a good chance she wouldn't make it back. Her eyelids drooped and her body began to feel numb. Her breathing became uneven and came out in a shallow rasping moan.

It was then Theresa heard something; water. It was faint and distant, but there was no mistaking the trickling flow of water slapping against water. She opened her eyes and lifted her throbbing head, trying to pinpoint where the sound was coming from. It sounded almost like it was coming from all around her, flooding the room. She squinted and strained her ears listening for the source.

"There," she said aloud, pointing at the doorway. She forgot her pain and stood, driven on by curiosity. The sound of the water grew and filled her ears with silent encouraging whispers. Her feet carried her closer to the small entrance, her mind clouded as if in a trance. It wasn't long before she stood before the doorway.

Slowly she reached out a hand down to the rusted doorknob. Her fingertips had barely grazed it when suddenly the door swung open with a tremendous creak. A faint misty light flooded around her like fog. She looked in on a tiny room, caked with dust. Her eyes opened in amazement as she saw what sat in the middle of chamber.
§ § §

"Did Hera say why Theresa has to stay in the school?"

Jay shrugged awkwardly, sinking lower in to his seat. His friends all sat comfortably in Herry's truck on their way to visit Theresa. A few hours earlier Jay had returned to the dorm. When the others asked him where Theresa was he quickly told them about her new living arrangements. He had not, however, told them about anything else, not about her visions, the shadow stone, or Cronus.

He wasn't sure why he had kept these things from his friends. He had thought he was doing it because they wouldn't know what to do and the truth might only upset them. But now as he sat with his closest friends he knew that keeping a secret from them, especially Atlanta, was harder than he could have imagined.

At the moment the huntress was glaring daggers into the back of his head. She had always known when someone was lying to her. If they looked shifty or sweaty or fidgeted too much she could always tell. And if Jay was keeping something from them, then Theresa could be in grave danger.

Beside her Archie scowled out the window. Lately he had noticed how much Atlanta was staring at their leader. He thought back angrily to last night and their secret chat out in the hall. Or this morning when Jay had ordered the others to jog around the park so that he and Atlanta could be alone. Jay had Theresa, so why couldn't he leave Atlanta alone?

"Arch?"

Archie looked around to face Jay opening the side door and looking up at him.

"What?" He snapped.

"We're here. What's with you?"

"Nothing." He shot back. He jumped to the ground next to Jay and shoved past him.

Jay rubbed the back of his head. He wondered how long it would take until everyone on his team hated him.

"While we're young Jay!" Atlanta called to him hoisting a duffle bag over her shoulder. The others all stood around the parking lot, waiting for him. The school cast a long shadow over them as dusk approached.

Jay sighed and ran over to them. He hoped that Theresa had cooled off and wondered what she was doing now. She was probably just sitting in the courtyard completely bored out of her mind.
§ § §

Theresa stood frozen in place as she stared at what was before her. It towered over her, her neck hurt just from looking up at it. It was so hauntingly beautiful Theresa almost felt like she would cry. Entranced by it, she walked closer. She longed to touch it, just to make sure it was real.

It was a fountain. A gorgeous woman sat in a pool of water, two fish perched beside her. The crystal clear water swirled and shone with misty light. Water gurgled from the mouth of the two fish, slapping cheerily against the still pool below. But it was the woman that broke Theresa's heart.

Her perfectly carved face was turned away, starring longingly into the water. All her features were soft and elegant, trapped perfectly into the stone from which she was sculpted. Long loose hair flowed smoothly across her skin, and her figure was small and willowy.

But despite all her beauty, the woman's face was twisted in grief. As Theresa looked hard at the statue she could see steady streams of water flowing from her eyes. She was crying. Her twin tears rolled silently down her cheeks and dripped into the pool.

Theresa moved closer, her arm outstretched. She just had to touch the stone; she needed to feel its smooth texture beneath her fingertips. An invisible force urged her forward, begging her to move closer to the woman.

Then, as if blown by a sudden wind, the door behind her slammed shut. Cold dread washed over her as she rushed to it. She pulled and tugged trying to open it, but it was no use. She moaned slightly and gently knocked her head against the wood.

"Great going Theresa. Guess it's true what they say, curiously kills the cat"

"Yes but satisfaction brought it back."

Theresa whipped around crouched low to the ground in a defense position.

"Who's there?" She called, trying to keep her voice from shaking with fear.

"I did not mean to frighten you."

Theresa gasped; had the statue just moved? Slowly she stood and walked to the fountain. Cautiously she reached out a hand and skimmed the cheek of the statue with her fingers. The cold running tears splashed and flowed over her hand.

Suddenly the head of the woman jerked away.

"That tickles." She giggled, her eyes dancing with mirth. Her laughter chimed and tinkled like bells.

"Who...what...are you?"

The woman smiled fondly at her. "You are so much like him."

"Excuse me?"

"Sit, please." The woman waved a hand to the rim of the pool, inviting Theresa to seat herself.

"I'd rather stand." Theresa said folding her arms across her chest.

The woman looked at her with mild annoyance. "You have no reason to fear me...Theresa."

"How do you know my name?"

"I could sense his presence in you."

"What are you talking about?" Theresa asked. Her irritation at this woman and her riddles was steadily rising.

"I will answer all your questions, but you must sit first."

Theresa stared at her hesitantly, but eventually her curiosity won her over. Slowly she walked over to the fountain and sat on the rim of the pool, never taking her eyes of the woman. The statue's stone eyes stared back at her; surprisingly they were filled with warmth and gentleness. As Theresa made herself as comfortable as she could on the hard stone surface, the woman dipped her hand into the water.

As she lifted her cupped hand out, Theresa could see some of the sparkling water pooled in her palm. The woman closed her eyes, holding the water close to her face. Then she tossed it into the air. Theresa slid away from the falling water and waited expectantly for the splash, but was greeted with silence.

The woman gently touched her shoulder and pointed upward. Theresa turned and saw a small floating orb of water. Gently the woman reached up, the ball of liquid quivered at her touch, and Theresa was afraid that it would shatter. But as she moved her hand back down, the ball followed, floating just above her palm. The woman smiled and cupped it delicately with her hands. In a smooth fluid movement she balanced it on a single finger, and it started to spin.

"Now you're just showing off." Theresa teased.

The woman winked and lowered the sphere to her.

"Look closely, stare into its depths and you will see my story."

Theresa obeyed and looked at the ball of water, entranced by they way it shone and glowed. Suddenly Theresa could see shapes and colours start to form deep inside.

"Concentrate." The woman instructed. "Do you see it?"

Theresa squinted and stared hard at the water. "Yes." Theresa smiled and watched as images of buildings and people began to appear.

/"My name is Arethusa, I am a Nereid, a type of sea-nymph and I am one of the fifty daughters of Nereus, the sea god." /As Arethusa spoke, the images inside the orb swirled and changed. Now Theresa cold see a clear deep ocean, filled with blue-haired women. They frolicked and sang as they swam carefree through their under water kingdom.

"We all knew and cared for your ancestor Theseus, that is why when I sensed you here I knew I had to meet you. I had sensed your presence before, when you first arrived here, but it was so faint I thought I was only imagining it. But know that you are here I..."

Theresa looked up at the rambling sea-nymph, and softly cleared her throat.

"Oh I am sorry; I tend to carry on quite a bit. It is my curse, in fact it is the reason I am trapped in this form."

"So what happened to you?"

The Nereid sighed and waved her hand over the water ball. Once again the pictures changed, morphing into the face of a tall red-headed goddess.

"That's Artemis."

Arethusa nodded. "When I was young and very foolish, I taunted and insulted her. She became very angry and in her rage she transformed me into stone. At first I pleaded with her, I cried and begged her to return me to my true form. She told me my fake tears were wasted on her, but eventually she decided to test my words. So she built a pool around me and said if my tears were true and could overflow this pool then I would be turned back. So for years I cried, filling the pool with my useless tears. But I will never be free, my tears are not true, they are tainted with selfishness."

"But you don't seem selfish to me."

"You are kind, it is true I have grown since then and long lived out my immature and reckless ways, but only when the gods see that I am ready will I ever be changed back, that is why I stay here and guard this pool."

"The pool, why?"

"I, like my sisters, am a sea-nymph. Good magic flows throw me, and when I cry my tears shine and swell with my magic. I protect it from the unjust and I believe that perhaps the gods will see that I have changed, until then I shall remain like this."

"Don't you get lonely?"

"At times, but I can still see my family, through the magic in the water."

Once again the images inside the orb changed, now a beautiful woman with violet-blue hair could be seen smiling up at them.

"My beloved sister Amphitrite./ She was married to Poseidon and grew quite fond of Theseus, even though he was not her son."/

"How long have you been here?"

"I have long lost count of the many centuries that have been here."

Then the Nereid sighed and gently lowered the glowing orb back into the pool.

"I am afraid I grow weary, I cannot show you any more."

"I guess I should be getting back any way." Theresa sighed. But as she stood she felt herself sway and her vision blur.

"What is it?"

"My head, I think I l-lost too much blood." Her words came out in unsteady slurs and she clumsily sat back down.

"Drink from the pool it will heal you, hurry."

Theresa slowly dunked a hand into the water. As she pulled it back out she could see her reflection in the clear surface. Her face was pale and her hair was sticking to the blood that stained her forehead.

Eagerly she brought her cupped hands to her lips and drank. The crisp fresh water washed down her throat with a cool smooth feeling. She dipped her hands back into the water and greedily brought more liquid to her mouth. She licked her lips, and lowered her head into the pool sucking in the water. She drank until her insides felt like they would burst.

Finally she hauled her head out of the water, falling to the floor and breathing deeply. Her hair was soaked and clung to her head. Standing up again she looked into the pool at her reflection. Her skin was completely flawless; there was no sign of any injury.

"Thank you." She said whipping her mouth and burping. She looked away from Arethusa, ashamed at her greedy behaviour.

"I'm sorry but the water could not heal your hand. It can only heal the wounds that are truly life threatening, your wrist, I'm afraid, is not."

Theresa stared down at her wrapped wrist.

"That's alright, I don't mind."

The sea-nymph smiled her enchanting smile and nodded at her.

"Will you come back and visit me when you're not too busy?"

"Of course I'd love to! Besides I'm going to be here awhile."

Arethusa stared at her, clearly confused.

"Never mind it's a long story."

"Well perhaps you would like to share it when you visit."

"Sure, how about tonight?"

The Nereid grinned. "I look forward to it."
§ § §

Somehow Theresa found herself walking the familiar hall that led to Persephone's solarium. She wasn't sure how she had been able to navigate her way through the old dark hall, but for some reason she seemed to know where she was going. As she walked she made sure to take note of certain statues or tapestries so that she would remember her way back to Arethusa's fountain.

Finally she made her way to the tall doorway that led to Persephone's room. Suddenly she heard the shuffling of feet coming from inside her mentor's chambers. She was about to turn around and leave when she heard her name being called.

She sighed as she turned, hoping that someone hadn't caught her. But she was caught off guard as two arms wrapped around her shoulders.

"Theresa where have you been?!"

Theresa breathed a sigh of relief as she saw Atlanta's face staring at her.

"When did you get here?"

"Maybe twenty minutes ago, we were so worried about you!"

"What why?"

Atlanta grabbed her friend's hand and pulled her into the solarium. As Theresa sat on a large purple cushion Atlanta walked over to a platform at the front of the room and picked up a large blue duffle bag. Grabbing it with both hands she rushed back to Theresa, dropped it at her feet and sat on a pillow beside her.

"I heard you were staying here for awhile so I brought you some clothes."

Theresa unzipped the bag and smiled. It looked as if Atlanta had run into her closet, grabbed everything and shoved it inside.

"So I guess Jay told you."

"Well he was sort of vague, all he said was that Hera was making you stay here and you we're pretty pissed."

"Yeah that about sums it up."

"So you don't know why she's making you stay?" Atlanta asked suspiciously.

Theresa shook her head. At least Jay had kept her secret; she didn't think she could handle what her friends might do if they found out.

"Well I guess we can call off the search party."

"What?"

"The others are searching the entire school for you, we were worried."

"Why?"

"Theresa the front hall was blown up! We didn't know what to think."

"Well I'm fine."

Atlanta sighed. "Well the others will be glad to hear that, even if they probably are going to be annoyed at you."

"What did I do?"

"You scared us, walking off like that."

Theresa folded her arms over her chest. "It's not like I meant to." She mumbled.

"C'mon," Atlanta said pulling Theresa to her feet. "Let's go tell the guys."

"No wait," Theresa hesitated. "Do you think we can just have a guy free night tonight?"

The truth was she did want to see the boys but she just didn't think she could be around Jay yet.

Atlanta grinned. "That sounds great. Honestly I don't know how I'm going to survive without you in a house full of boys. I already need a break from them."

Theresa laughed. "Thanks Atlanta. Oh we could have a slumber party!"

Atlanta groaned. "You now I would never do this for anyone but you."

"I know." Theresa giggled.
---

So what's going to happen at the slumber party? Well I can't tell you, what kind of writer would I be then?

Oh and here's a fun fact about the story. Both Nereids and the Arethusa fountain are real things. However I took a bit of artistic licence with the fountain, the real one is in Italy, I think, and it's alot different than I described it. But the shadow stone is just something I came up with.

Also the reason I gave Theresa a sprained wrist is because when I was thirteen I was playing on this huge snow hill when some A-hole pushed me. I feel six feet right on my wrist. Yeah ouch. It didn't turn all those lovely colours though, no but once I passed out from heat stroke and collapsed down an entire flight of stairs. My knee turned five different colours!

Alright for those of you who haven't turned away in boredom or disgust you have my word that I'll shut up now. Oh and as always review please, they are really a big help.











/ /



















Sign up to rate and review this story