Categories > Cartoons > Class of the Titans > Light in the darkness

return of the shadow

by StrangerWithCandy 10 reviews

Appearances are always misleading. And what you think you know is almost never right.

Category: Class of the Titans - Rating: PG - Genres: Horror - Published: 2006-08-24 - Updated: 2006-08-24 - 6067 words

0Unrated
I'm so sorry I haven't updated in a while. My pet rabbit passed away last weekend, so it kept me from posting. Anyway this is a really long chapter so get comfy
---

Cronus stalked down the long stone plank that overlooked the swirling green pool of water below. Argon stood waiting for him, whimpering slightly. The image of Theresa was frozen on the water's surface. He had been watching her for weeks, waiting and plotting. But Cronus was not a patient god. Every day she remained in that cursed school was a day that she was slipping out of his fingers. He had to act now before she was completely lost to him.

The god of time roughly shoved the giant away and waved his hand over the water. The murky liquid washed away the face of Theresa, replacing her with the picture of a Neried sitting in a stone basin of water. He rolled his eyes and sighed as he watched her sob into her pool.

"Honestly Arethusa you don't have to put on such a show. Do you have no dignity left?"

The sea-nymph jerked her head up at the sound of his voice. Instantly her sad innocent face turned into a cruel sneer.

"What do you want?" She hissed. Her once warm pleasant voice had now turned high and sharp. Cronus winced at the sound of it as Argon shut his eyes and whimpered.

"I need to speak with you. In person." He called down to her.

She glared and dipped her hand into the water and it glowed with harsh bright light. Slowly Arethusa started to sink into her pool, scowling miserably at the water. Then Cronus' pool went black and still. He tapped his foot impatiently as he waited for the Neried to appear.

Beside him Argon peered down at the pool wondering what was so interesting. Suddenly both saw ripples begin to form on the water. Master and giant watched as the top of a stone head broke through the surface of the water.

Arethusa rose slowly from the depths, the water flowing off of her. She stood with her arms crossed over her chest, glaring up at the dark god.

"Well?" She asked through clenched teeth.

"What, no hello?"

The sea-nymph's eyes flashed. Cronus smirked as the black water below her bubbled and steamed.

"What progress have you made with the girl?"

Arethusa smiled smugly. "She didn't even make it challenging."

"Has she drunk the water yet?"

"Yes, it will only be a matter of hours before it starts to take effect."

"Good, we will do it tonight."

The sea-nymph raised an eyebrow in mild surprise. "You said we would wait, I thought I had more time."

"No." He bellowed down to her. "Already I can feel her powers growing. If she is not turned tonight than all hope is lost."

"Do not raise your voice to me, you arrogant snake. Without me you wouldn't even be able to get the girl."

Cronus practically snarled at her. "I only need your magical waters, you are just an unfortunate bonus. Now get out of my sight!"

When Arethusa just stared back coldly Cronus balled his hands into fists. "Why are you still here?"

"Have you forgotten our deal Cronus? You said on the night I bring you the girl you would restore me to my true form."

Cronus scoffed cruelly. "Yes, when you bring me the girl. But since I do not see her here yet, you will have to wait."

"Very well Cronus, but just know that if you turn on me you will regret it."

"Just open the portal to the school and have the girl ready. Then I promise you will get exactly what you deserve."
§ § §

"Theresa hurry up!"

Quickly Theresa pulled on her pyjamas, a sky blue tank top decorated with baby blue daises and matching bottoms. She hadn't worn them in years, the top was a size too small and showed off her flat tanned stomach, but Atlanta didn't have much time to pick out any other pair.

Atlanta popped her head around the corner as Theresa vainly tried to tug the top lower. She was dressed in more comfortable attire; a white camisole and blue plaid boxers.

"Where did you find this?" She asked her friend.

Atlanta shrugged. "It was on the floor in the back of your closet. Now c'mon, I agreed that I would watch one romantic comedy with you so let's hurry up and get it over with."

"Trust me you'll love it." Theresa grinned as she grabbed her friend's hand and led her into Hera's chambers. Both girls gasped as they saw a huge movie screen in the middle of the room.

Hephaestus stood to one side with a large remote in his hands. "I made this a few years ago, thought you might enjoy it."

Theresa laughed and raced over to him. In an instant her arms were flung around him and she kissed his scruffy cheek. His face flushed red and he awkwardly rubbed the back of his head.

"Yeah...well uh, j-just press this button here to turn it on." He stammered.

As Theresa let go of him, Atlanta walked over and took the remote and started playing with the buttons. Quickly Hephaestus left as fast as he could hobble.

"Too bad Odie isn't here, he'd love this." Theresa said as she stood next to her friend.

"Yeah, and if he was here maybe we could figure out how to work this thing." Atlanta said pointing the remote at the TV and madly pushing the buttons.

"Let me try." Theresa sighed as she took the device from her friend. She pushed a large red button on the top and the screen suddenly sprang to life. She was about to gloat when there was a knock on the door.

"Maybe Hephaestus came back." Atlanta said as she flopped down on the couch.

Theresa shrugged and walked over to the door. But when she opened it no one was there. She was about to close it again when the door hit something. Looking down she saw a large pizza box on the floor. Grinning happily she bent to pick it up and saw there was a note attached. As she made her way back to Atlanta she read it.

Hope you enjoy.
-Hera

"Alright pizza." Atlanta said as Theresa opened the lid. On one half was pepperoni and the other mushroom, peppers and sausage.

"I can't believe she knew our favourite toppings." Atlanta said as she tore out a slice.

"I can't believe they get delivery here."
§ § §

Theresa sighed dreamily and lay back on the floor as she watched a tall British actor pull a petite blonde woman into a deep passionate embrace. As the credits rolled by she turned to look at Atlanta. Her friend was trying to discreetly wipe her misting eyes.

"I knew it!" She cried getting to her knees.

Atlanta jumped and looked at Theresa. "What, I was yawning so much my eyes began to water that's all."

Theresa rolled her eyes. "You're such a romance lover in denial."

Atlanta pulled a face and stood, stretching her arms over her head. "Please I was bored out of my mind. What do you want to do n-"

Before Atlanta could finish Theresa had jumped to her feet and walloped her friend with a pillow. She could have sworn she heard her squeak in surprise. Atlanta quickly rounded on her friend, her mouth open in shock but her eyes gleaming with excitement. In a flash she snatched the pillow closest to her and swung it at her friend. Theresa managed to dodge it but was still caught off guard and fell rather clumsily on her behind.

Seizing her chance Atlanta whacked Theresa over the head. Ducking the next blow, Theresa reached up and caught Atlanta's wrist in her hand. Without a second thought she yanked her down, hard. The wiry redhead tumbled on the floor as Theresa got to her feet again.

Unable to help herself, Theresa let out a giddy laugh as she bounced on the balls of her feet, her pillow held on front of her like a sword. Atlanta was soon back on her feet, her face was growing red, and her hair flew wildly from her head. She grinned as she darted forward, swatting her friend on the butt.

Theresa yelped and swung at her friend. "Save the ass slapping for Archie." Theresa grinned as her words took their desired effect, Atlanta stopped dead in her tracks and Theresa managed to get in a few slaps of her pillow before Atlanta came after her.
§ § §

Theresa collapsed on the ground beside Atlanta, blowing away a small feather that floated near her face. Her sides ached and her head swelled with a hazy buzz. She giggled uncontrollably as she saw the carnage of feathers and torn cushions. The rest of the room was almost as bad, furniture was overturned and rugs lay in heaps after being kicked carelessly out of the way. Several potted plants had tragically not survived, and now the only remains were shards of clay pots buried in mounds of dirt and mangled shrubs.

"Hera's going to kill us." Theresa said. She had tried to sound serious but still hadn't managed to control her light-headed giggling.

Atlanta only groaned and lazily kicked her friend. "How are we going to clean this up?"

"We'll do it tomorrow." Theresa said groggily. Slowly both girls' heads drooped as they lay down on the few undamaged pillows. Atlanta swept away several empty bags of chips and sour gummy worms, the remains of their earlier junk food gorge.

As the peaceful quiet slowly wrapped around their minds like a warm blanket, the door at the far end of the room creaked open. Hera smiled fondly at the two sleeping girls and waved a hand at the mess that lay before her. Suddenly the pillows re-stuffed themselves with the snowy white feathers as her plants stood right-side up again in newly mended pots. The room transformed back into its proper order and Hera titled her chin up, proud of her work.

As she heard the slow steady breathing of sleep, she quietly entered the room. Making her way to the girls she watched their chests rise and fall and their eyelids flutter. As she knelt down between them she laid a gentle hand on their arms. She felt so proud of her young pupils, but there was something else as well. She had grown so attached to all of them, without even realizing it.

But as she turned her head to look at Theresa she couldn't help feeling fear. Hera had dealt with the shadow stone before, she had seen its destructive force. And she knew that the few who did survive were never the same.

As long as Theresa stayed within the walls of the school she would be safe, but for how long? She remembered once when a young man had tried to resist the power of the stone. In days he had gone mad and wound up taking his own life to stop the voice he said kept calling to him.

She had faith in Theresa's strength, but she was only a teenager. How long could she fight the inevitable? Either way she would lose, they all would lose.

When she could feel the warm sting of tears well in her eyes Hera stood. Casting one last look down at the sleeping girls she turned and left. Pausing at the door she waved her grey hand once more and the lights in the room turned off, eclipsing the room into darkness. As she closed the door behind her, the light from the outside moon fell on Atlanta, turning her skin an eerie glowing white. But beside her, sudden shadows swallowed the helpless still form of Theresa.
§ § §

"Theresa, where are you?"

Theresa awoke to the sound of running water. Slowly she opened her eyes against a harsh light that robbed her of her vision. As she squinted to adjust her eyes, she could see she was no longer in Hera's chambers. She had no idea where she was, the room itself seemed endless. She could see nothing but white, if she had been a religious person she might have believed she was in heaven.

Lifting her head she looked around. The room seemed familiar, she had been here before. As she reached her hand out beside her she could feel the smooth cool surface of stone.

"Arethusa." She said aloud. Suddenly she recognized where she was and could just make out the faint outline of a tall fountain in the blinding light.

"Theresa, have you forgotten me so soon?"

Suddenly Theresa remembered the promise she had made only hours ago.

"I'm so sorry I didn't come to see you, I can't believe I forgot! Please let me make it up to you, can I see you tomorrow?"

"No Theresa, time is running out!"

"What? Arethusa what are you talking about?"

But no reply met her words. Theresa got to her feet and squinted toward where she heard the Nereid's voice. But the fountain had disappeared; even the sound of rushing water had gone, filling the room with uncomfortable silence.

This has got to be a dream, she thought, I shouldn't have had that entire carton of cookie dough. Almost as if in agreement her stomach churned and moaned.

She sighed and shut her eyes tight, in a vain attempt to wake. Muttering to herself she turned around to try and find the small wooden door.

Suddenly she gasped and stumbled backward as stone eyes appeared inches from her face. Arethusa's hand snaked out and grabbed Theresa's wrist before the girl could fall.

"A-Arethusa, you're off your fountain."

The sea-nymph ignored her and continued to stare at her with a frightening intensity. Theresa was becoming very aware of the strong painful grip the Nereid had on her only undamaged wrist.

"Arethusa I'm sorry really, but please let me go that hurts." Theresa said as she tried to free herself.

"No Theresa, you must come with me, there isn't any time."

"Arethusa please, what's going on?"

The stone woman sighed. "You are in danger Theresa; I saw it when you touched the water. I saw a dark man coming for you."

"I already know that, but it's alright he can't get me here." Theresa told her, trying to comfort her friend.

"No you are not safe here, please come with me, I will hide you, I can protect you."

Theresa tried to stay calm, after all it was understandable for her new friend to be worried for her, but it was becoming increasingly difficult to keep her cool with everyone thinking they had to protect her.

"Arethusa please don't worry about me, the school is protected and besides I can still defend myself." Even if no one else thinks so, she thought.

But Arethusa didn't seem to be listening anymore. She looked at her feet as if she was thinking of something else.

"Arethusa..." Theresa said hesitantly. Instinctively she rested her hand on the sea-nymph shoulder. In a flash the Nereid's hand shot out and grabbed her. Arethusa held on to both her arms and dragged her across the uneven stone floor. Theresa gasped as she saw the fountain suddenly appear a few feet away from them. Scarier still was when she realized what Arethusa planned to do.

"Arethusa what are you doing?!" she cried as they stood by the edge of the pool. When she had looked into it earlier today the pool was only a few feet deep, but now the crystal blue waters seemed endless.

"I tried asking nicely Theresa but now you leave me no choice." The Nereid said calmly.

With surprising force Theresa was pushed into the pool. It had an icy edge to it and Theresa shivered as she tried to keep her head above the water. But she was fighting against something, an invisible force that wrapped around her legs and pulled. Cold fingers dug into her legs as she fought.

Above her she heard a strange hissing noise. Looking up she saw Arethusa glaring at her.

"Stop fighting it!" She ordered.

Theresa felt confused, why would Arethusa do this?

The Nereid sighed and sat on the rim of the pool looking down with an almost sad expression on her face.

"Believe it or not I do feel almost...guilty about this, you were the only person to be nice to me in such along time. But a deal with Cronus is just too good to pass up."

Theresa gasped letting in a large amount of water into her mouth. Theresa clawed at the stone walls of the pool that traveled down forever into the unknown.

"Cronus! Arethusa he's tricking you! What ever he's promised he lying." Theresa yelled to her as the fingers started yanking zealously on her.

The sea-nymph laughed cruelly and looked at Theresa with a look that was a mixture a pity and disgust. "You foolish girl, Cronus would never dare double cross me, now be quiet and drown." (a/n If I had a nickel for every time someone said that to me.)

Anger grew inside Theresa like never before. Reaching up she grabbed Arethusa's wrist and pulled her down with her as they both went under.

Theresa opened her eyes and saw the Nereid sinking steadily. She cursed unheard threats at Theresa, clawing at her legs, but her stone body made it impossible for her to swim back up. Grinning happily Theresa swam quickly for the surface. But as she was about to be free at last she slammed into something, hard. Lifting her fist she swung with tremendous force at the surface of the water. She screamed in pain, of course under the water it came out in only a bubbling moan.

Her fist had made contact with something hard as stone, her knuckles were swollen and red. She tried again, this time lightly hitting the water with her palm. As she touched the water she could see tiny ripples of light travel along the surface.

Her head was becoming light from lack of oxygen and her lungs felt tight. Desperately she banged her fist against the magical shield. But it was no use, each time she hit it, the barrier shone with yellow fire that burned her hands.

She knew she couldn't panic; she just had to find another way out that's all. But bottomless pits usually tend to have only one exit. Suddenly she felt stone hands wrap around her ankles. She looked down and saw the crazed face of a Nereid grinning wickedly back at her.

"Did you think you could escape?" She cackled. Her voice changed somehow, it no was no longer light and gentle, now it was sharp and screechy. Arethusa clawed her way up Theresa leg, causing both to sink fast. Theresa looked up and saw the light from the surface becoming smaller and smaller as the water around her became dark.

Her strength was fading fast, any minute she would no longer be able to fight. With one last effort she kicked the sea-nymph squarely between the eyes. Arethusa shrieked and covered her face with both hands, releasing Theresa.

The redhead managed a small smile as she floated back to the top. Her vision dimmed, looking back to the surface she could see the light fade and sway.

"You horrid girl! Look what you did to my beautiful face!"

Theresa felt two strong hands grab her cheeks and she was pulled down face to face with Arethusa. Even with her fading vision, Theresa could still see the long deep crack that traveled down the Nereid's stone face.

Suddenly the crack grew, the two halves of the statue's face shifted apart. Arethusa panicked and lifted her hands to her face tried to keep it from separating.

Then with one last fierce look at Theresa she whispered, "Come Theresa, I have something to show you."

The nymph's face shattered, stone shards pelted the walls of the pool. Theresa could feel her own face bombarded with sharp stone fragments but was paying too much attention to what was happening to the Nereid to care.

What was once Arethusa's beautiful face was now a gapping hole. It was so black and dark Theresa felt as if she was becoming lost in its inky depths just staring at it. But there was something else, she thought at first she was imagining it but the darkness was moving.

Then with a sickening jolt she realized, the shadow had returned.

Long thick black vines shot out and captured her wrists and ankles. They made fast work of binding her legs and arms together. Her weary body couldn't defend herself against the shadow and within seconds her entire body was trapped in dark mass. It felt strangely cold and wet and it stuck to her skin. She tried to kick her legs but the shadow was too thick and it felt as if she were floating in honey.

With the little fight she had left she managed to keep her head free. But the water around her was no better than what was devouring her body. Soon long black ropes grew up from the shadow and stuck to her hair. She felt several loop around her neck and the top of her head, tightening the more she resisted.

She was pulled further and further into the shadow knowing there was no use. With a silent prayer to the heavens for a swift and painless end, she was sucked into the shadow.
§ § §

She was falling. The shadow invaded all around her, pulling at her clothes and hair. The water had disappeared and Theresa could once again breathe. But the air was sour and putrid, it tasted stale and filled her lungs with a foul feeling. She could see nothing but darkness, but she could feel the tightness of the magical binds on her skin.

"Theresa I have something to show you." Came the thundering voice of Arethusa.

Suddenly Theresa was yanked to one side and her plummeting halted. Before her eyes she could see colours swirl and rough shapes begin to form inside the shadow. She saw her friends, all of them except Jay. They stood small and weak, but what was stranger still was their appearance.

Herry was trying to walk forward, only his arms were trapped inside great boulders that dragged along the ground. Archie stood away from the others fighting against an invisible enemy. He swung his fists at the thin air blocking and ducking at the same time. Beside him Odie was curled into a ball, swatting at something that wasn't there, perhaps Archie's unseen opponent. Neil wasn't moving at all, he stood a look of terror sealed on his frozen face, his hands trying to shield himself.

Atlanta stood alone, she looked around as if waiting for something to strike, her wrist cross bow at the ready. Suddenly someone or something swooped down in front of her. The figure wore all black, their face was hidden by an equally black mask. Atlanta seemed to be trying to talk with whoever it was, begging them to stop. By the person only threw their head back and laughed. With a flick of their wrist the figure caused the ground below Atlanta to shift and crack. With an ear-splitting roar the earth split and swallowed Atlanta whole.

The masked stranger turned and saw Theresa. It leapt into the air swooping over to her. Theresa could see the eyes of the mask glowing blood red with thin snake like pupils. The person stood in front of Theresa, whoever it was they were exactly her height. The stranger leaned into her, until their face was a hair away from hers.

Driven by an invisible force, Theresa's hand lifted up to the person's face and pulled away the mask. Pale orange hair escaped and flowed down the shoulders of the stranger. It was her.

The dark Theresa laughed and pushed her away. Suddenly she was falling again; colours and shapes flew before her eyes. Cruel laughter echoed in her ears as Theresa screamed. Finally she stopped, slamming against solid wall. She looked to her side and saw the colours and shapes form once again.

Jay stood tired and bruised, his xiphos blade held in front of him. A great shadow loomed over him, a shadow of a man holding two golden scythes in each hand. Cronus stepped out into the light a smug smile pulling at his lips.

"You have been beaten you fool give up!" Cronus snarled at him.

"Never!" Jay shot back. In a swift movement Jay swung his sword at the god, every muscle in his body straining to win. But Cronus matched this attack with one of his own and sliced his weapon along the boy's stomach. Jay cried out in agony as Theresa screamed along with him. The brown-haired boy shook his head trying to forget his pain and reached for his sword that he had dropped. But he was too slow and quickly Cronus' blade was pointed at Jay's throat. The dark god grabbed the boy by his hair a pulled his head back.

"Remember Jay, remember this as the day you lost everything."

Theresa shut her eyes as she heard Jay's choked scream and the soft thud of his dead body hitting the earth.

Theresa wanted to scream but didn't think she had the energy left. She brought her hands to her eyes and sobbed uncontrollably. Her breath hitched and she saw Jay's unmoving body float before her eyes.

Soon it disappeared in a cloud of swirling colours along with the cries of her friends as the fought. She could feel the shadow growing thicker and heavier as she was dragged down.

"That's it Theresa, give up. You're seeing the future. And not even you can stop this future." Theresa felt Arethusa beside her in the darkness. "Now listen when you wake up you will come and find me, understand?"

Theresa wanted to swing at her, kick her, something, but found that her mind was slowly clouding. Slowly she felt herself beginning to lose control of her body as she was pushed farther and farther into her mind.

"Don't fight it Theresa, I control you now, and you will listen to me."

In the back of her mind Theresa tried to scream Never! but her body wouldn't listen and slowly her head nodded.

"Good, now wake up."
§ § §

Back in New Olympia Theresa sat up in her bed. Slowly she rose to her feet and walked toward the door. She was so lost in her trance that she didn't even hear when Atlanta awoke as well.

The fiery redhead watched as her friend opened the door and disappeared into the hall. Probably going to the bathroom, she thought. Suddenly remembering the unwise amount of pop she herself had drank that night she quickly got up and followed her friend.

Atlanta had to run to catch up with Theresa who was already turning down the next hallway. She was about to yell at her friend to slow down when she saw Theresa wasn't traveling in the direction of the bathrooms. Atlanta still followed wondering what her friend was up to. It wasn't until Theresa passed Persephone's solarium that Atlanta knew there was only one place she could be headed; the portal.

She's going to get herself blown up! Atlanta thought. But as Theresa stood before the hallway that led to the portal into the outside world she quickly turned left and disappeared down a different darker doorway. When Atlanta jogged over to it she realized that this hallway had definitely not been here before. It was smaller than the rest of the school with a low ceiling that was covered with ancient cobwebs. It was unpleasantly dark, there were no windows to let in light.

But Theresa was in there, and whatever she could be doing it couldn't be safe if she was keeping it a secret from Atlanta. Ignoring her better judgement Atlanta followed into the small dank hole.

It was too quiet inside, there was no sign of life anywhere. Atlanta was sure that at any minute Theresa would turn around and find her sneaking around behind her. But Theresa was strangely unaware of anything. Atlanta had watched as Theresa stubbed her toe against a rock that jutted out from the floor. She expected Theresa to cry out in pain, but her friend didn't even seem to notice. It was just too weird.

In the darkness Atlanta could just make out a round room ahead with a high ceiling. It seemed to be where Theresa had been searching for. When the paler redhead stood in the center of the great room Atlanta crouched down, hidden by the shadows.

Atlanta watched her friend closely. It looked like she was listening to someone, every so often she would nod and mumble something. Then she lifted her head and started walking towards something that was hidden further in the room. Atlanta squinted to see where her friend was headed and could just see a small wooden door swinging open to let Theresa in. Stealthily Atlanta hurried toward the door as it slammed shut behind Theresa, and put an ear to the wood.

Inside she could hear a voice, it was painfully sharp and high.

"You have done well Theresa but there is one last thing you must do before you go. There is someone who knows too much Theresa, and we can have anyone knowing our little secret, can we?"

Suddenly the door swung open with a tremendous force, knocking Atlanta over.

"Destroy her Theresa!"

Atlanta gulped and looked back toward the voice trying to see who it was. But her view was blocked by Theresa. She looked up at her, her hands were curled into fists and her body was crouched low, ready to strike.

Atlanta was about to say something when Theresa shot forward. She had only a second to roll out of the way before Theresa slammed her fist into the solid stone where she had just been. The floor shattered at her strike, dust and stone flew into the air before settling. Atlanta gasped as she saw the huge craterous dent in the floor. But if Theresa had felt any pain she ignored it, still advancing on her shaken friend. Atlanta jumped to her feet only to have to duck as Theresa tried to round-kick her.

"Theresa please," She begged her friend as she jumped back to avoid a lethal blow to the head. "This isn't you I know it's not!"

But Theresa wasn't listening. She jabbed again this time making contact with Atlanta's chest. As the air was pushed from her lungs and Atlanta was collapsed to the ground. She looked at her friend standing over her.

Then she saw it; Theresa's eyes. They were clouded and blank, staring at her with absolutely not emotion.

"Theresa you're in a trance! It's the voice, it's controlling your mind!"

Theresa only looked at her blankly. Atlanta started to panic, she didn't understand her, and worse she was going to kill her. Looking around franticly she saw the small wooden door.

"I'm sorry about this." Atlanta told her. Quick as lightning Atlanta swung her feet around, knocking Theresa's legs out from under her. As she fell to the ground Atlanta scrambled to her feet and bolted to the small open door.

As she entered the small little room she slammed the door shut behind her and heard it lock. She sighed, shutting her eyes and leaned against the door as she felt Theresa banging her fists against it. She opened her eyes slowly, remembering the person controlling Theresa was hidden in here. But the room was empty, except for a tall fountain of a beautiful woman. Perhaps under less stressful circumstances she might have admired it, but at the moment she didn't pay any attention to it.

Whoever it was must have escaped she thought as she walked over to the fountain and sat on its edge. "Well at least I'll be safe here."

"Oh don't be so sure." Said a falsely sweet voice.

Suddenly stone arms wrapped around her neck pulling her closer to the water. As Atlanta struggled against the statue's grip the door magically open again.

"Now Theresa, kill her."

Theresa walked into the room, a long jagged piece of broken stone held in her hand.

"Theresa don't!" Atlanta croaked. "I'm your friend, your best friend!"

"Arethusa is my only friend." Theresa said slowly dragging out each word.

"We'll see about that!" Atlanta yelled. Grabbing the Nereid's arms she pried the stone fingers off her neck and broke free. Quickly she reached into her pocket and jammed her wrist cross bow onto her hand. She raised her hand at Arethusa and prepared to fire.

"No!" Theresa cried and lunged for Atlanta. But she was ready and turned, planting a swift kick to the other girl's stomach. Theresa fell to the ground as Atlanta once again aimed her weapon. The Nereid panicked and dunked and hand into the pool.

"Cronus save me!" She cried.

"Cronus? I don't think so." Atlanta said aiming her weapon at Arethusa's head.

But already the waters were beginning to glow and churn, slashing in small choppy waves.

"Now or never." She cried. Finally Atlanta fired her weapon. The small purple fire flew across the air at the Nereid. A tremendous explosion shook the tiny room and threw both girls against the wall.

As the smoke cleared Atlanta groaned and turned to look at Theresa who lay beside her.

"Theresa?"

The pale redhead lifted her head slowly and squinted at her friend.

"A-Atlanta? What's going on?"

Atlanta laughed and pulled her friend into a fierce hug. Theresa laughed with her, not sure what was so funny.

"What a charming reunion." Called a smug taunting voice from the shadows.

"No..." Atlanta gasped.

As the dust settled a dark figure emerged. Cronus.

"No, I destroyed her before you-"

"Yes thank you for that Atlanta." Cronus sneered as he picked up a piece of the statue that lay by his foot. "It saves me the trouble of having to do it. Now I believe you have something of mine." He said looking at Theresa.

"What are you talking about you lunatic?" Atlanta cried tightening her grip on her friend.

Cronus just laughed and reached into his pocket pulling out a small black stone. Beside her Atlanta heard Theresa gasp.

"Yes Theresa, it's time."

"Theresa wh-" Atlanta began but stopped as she saw what was happening to her friend. White flames glowed around Theresa flickering and fading. Suddenly dark black flames began to appear on the edges of the light ones, hungrily devouring all of it. Theresa scream filled the room, echoing down the hall. Atlanta reached out trying to help her friend. But as her hand made contact with fire, a wave of white hot heat burst through her. She jerked her arm away and collapsed on the ground, doubled over from the unbearable pain.

As quickly as the flames had come they were gone. Theresa's body slumped to the floor beside Atlanta. Cronus grinned and leisurely made his way over to them. Bending down he gripped Theresa's wrists and hauled her over his shoulder. He waved his hand in front of him and orange flames licked the air, opening a portal into time and space. Giving one final two fingered salute to the barely conscious Atlanta he walked backwards through the portal. The tip of Theresa's orange hair was the last thing to disappear into the darkness before the portal closed, leaving Atlanta alone.

With one final effort Atlanta reached into her pocket and pulled out her small PMR. The screen flickered to life and the face of Archie appeared on screen.

"Archie," She moaned. "Help..." Before she could finish Atlanta finally fell to the ground and her world went black.
---

Alright guys this is the last chapter I have finished. So you'll have to wait until September or October until I post again. It would be sooner but I'm taking some time to write a House fic.
Sign up to rate and review this story