Categories > Anime/Manga > Attack on Titan > A Song Bird's Wings of Freedom

Chapter 7: The Death of Rosaline

by PetraRivaille 0 reviews

Titans attack Wall Sina.

Category: Attack on Titan - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Horror - Warnings: [V] - Published: 2015-01-11 - 4326 words - Complete

0Unrated
Hanji
When the titan saw me standing on the cement porch as it made its way through the trees with as much ease as if the thick trunks where blades of dry grass, its smooth face wrinkled and crinkled and contorted with a grin that pulled its veiny skin hard against its sharp bones. I felt my breath leave my chest as I protectively put a hand on my stomach, and, to my horror, the titan made its way out of the forest and stood only a few yards away from me in only moments, menacingly staring me down.
I gasped and ran in to the Castle, heading down to the supply closet where there was one set of 3DM gear in case of emergencies; blades, oxygen tanks, and all I needed to survive. I ran down the spiraling rot iron stair case as fast as I could to the lower levels of the Castle, as fast as my sore ankles and fat body could move.
I was in no shape to fight, no shape to truly escape, but I couldn’t let my fear and doubt shadow my will to survive.
As I ran through the Castle, the booms of the titan’s walking steps shook the brimstone walls, and I saw the supply closet, an angel in my approaching death.
I couldn’t die.
I couldn’t let Levi live with my and our child’s death on his heart.
I missed the first step of the stairs and fell on my side hard, the breath knocked out of me. Then, as I looked upon the supply closet, my arms outstretched towards it, the whole side of the Castle of the floor I was on was ripped from the building, the crumbling wall exploding with a vengeance. I covered my head as rubble flew over and on to me hard, as if it were meant to break my bones.
The titan forced its eye in to the hole to find me, to look upon its prey before it ate me, and the corner of its mouth raised in a morbid smile as it saw me lying on the ground.
Levi
The formation fell apart quickly once we entered the fallen Wall Maria with 30% of the refugee population unwilling to die for our cause among our ranks. Quickly our numbers were picked off at the beginning, few of the original refugee trainees surviving the first onslaught of titan attacks. Some killed themselves on their horses or ran back to retrieve the corpses of their fallen comrades against the orders of Commander Erwin.
Our mission was to reach Wall Maria and then to Eren Yeager’s basement as quickly as possible, but, with the number of causalities we already received, I highly doubted we would be able to make it to Wall Maria with enough numbers to survive the high number of titans roaming those Walls. Once we reached Wall Maria, we had to make it to their outlier district of Shiganishinia, which would take a number higher than what we had of extremely well-trained operatives to begin with.
I didn’t think I would survive the mission, but I had no choice; I had to for Hanji and our baby.
I looked to my right and saw a shot of black smoke penetrate the light blue autumn sky; the Right Spotting Wing found an Abnormal.
“Eren,” I said over my shoulder, “shoot black smoke.”
“Yes, Corporal,” he responded confidently as he loaded the gun and shot it in to the sky.
Screams filled the air, and my squad’s heads shot to our right, where we saw the Female Titan running towards us, her head set low with a clear goal in her mind.
Rage filled me like flaming liquor at the sight of her ice hair and steaming crimson muscles, and I led my horse towards her, parting from my squad and the formation.
“HEICHU NO!” Yeager screamed behind me, but I paid him no heed: I was on a mission to kill.
I readied my blades, and shot off my horse onto the Female Titan as she swatted at me. I was faster than her, and my blades sliced through her ankles as she collapsed on to the hilly ground. I flew beside her foot as she sat up, and I sliced through the bottom of it and up through her leg to pop out of her hip; my goal was to slice her up so she couldn’t heal fast enough before I destroyed her.
“PREPARE FOR HELL BITCH!” I screamed at her as she looked down upon me with shimmering blue eyes that pierced my soul, and I heard Yeager and my squad near us. She turned her head to them as they approached, and, while she was distracted, I sliced through her side and zig-zagged through her hollow innards to slice through the side of her ribs.
I dripped in her steaming black blood as I came out of her side and flew up in to her armpit, where I sliced her arm down to her fingertips and went to her other hand. She fell on to her back as I sliced up her arm and in to her armpit, too fast for her to heal properly. I back tracked through her chest and popped out of her neck, damaging her vocal chords so she couldn’t sing for help. I stood on her chest and looked to Yeager with my group.
“SIGNAL FOR HELP,” I screamed at him, and the whole group shot up blue flares.
The Female Titan lifted her head to stare at me, her crystal hair falling in to her eyes and over her face. I pointed both of my blades at her face and threw them in to her eyes, blinding her.
Hanji
I lifted myself off of the stone floor and ran down the stairs again to get to level ground before the titan crushed his way through the Castle to eat me. I ran as fast as I could, formulating a devious plan to capture the titan since I could not kill it, not without 3DM gear. A demonic grin pulled my lips in to an evil grin, and I cackled with morbid excitement.
I fled to the cement basement, the lowest point of the Castle, and the inside portion of my work office where I conducted my experiments. It was time to put my contraption to the test, but it was outside, and I needed to get there without the titan spotting me because outrunning it to my machine was out of the question with my pregnant belly and aching body.
I looked out the foggy basement windows to locate my titan, and his back faced me, his body turned to look at my machine. He lifted his hand and smashed it with an easy blow.
“NO!” I wailed, and he quickly turned around. I ducked down from the window and sat on the floor, my head between my knees.
I was desperate to win then.
Thank God above: I had a last resort plan that could work.
I looked around the dark cellar, wary of turning the lights on because it would attract the titan, and found a long silver metal battle axe, and my eyes blazed with fury at its sight. I got up and ran to it, lugging the heavy weapon above my head. I climbed on to my desk and swung the axe in to the window above my head, smashing it to pieces. I quickly smashed the shards stuck to the window still and threw the axe outside.
As quickly as I could, I pulled myself out of the basement and on to the cold grass as I heard the titan lumber towards me.
Levi
I continued to attack and slice the Female Titan before she could heal, wary of how fast she healed the last time we battled.
I wouldn’t let her escape again.
I went to the side of her head and sliced her ear off, digging my blades inside of it to deafen her. She opened her mouth, ripping the sides of her fleshy cheeks, to scream, but not a sound came from her steaming throat.
I flew to the other side of her head and did the same to her other ear, and I looked over my shoulder to see the whole of the operation heading towards us. I gave the Female Titan another once over with my blades, and my clothes clung to my sweating skin.
Once the whole entourage arrived with Hanji’s machine, we secured her down. The contraption’s thick metal spikes entered the Female Titan’s feet and pushed through the bones of her legs to her hips, and the other spikes entered through her shoulders and pushed down until they connected with the ones in her hips, where they then bonded together to be unbreakable. Then thick shots of barbed wire flew in all directions to pierce through her skin, and the Female Titan was completely secured down.
Then we made the return journey.
Hanji
Once out of the basement, I picked myself up and ran across the lawn to the original mechanism the Scouts used to capture the Female Titan over a year ago, and, as quickly as I could, I readied the old rusting machine for use.
I wasn’t quick enough.
The titan found me and I shot the first round of barbed wire at his feet and he fell, but, as I prepared the next rounds, he ripped the wires from his body with a shrill scream. He ran towards me and I shot the next two rounds at him, one at his leg and the other at his face. I blinded him and ran to the stables, which were at the farthest end of the property.
I head the titan screaming and wailing in agony, and hot tears burned my eyes.
“I’M SORRY BEAUTIFUL, I’M SO SORRY!” I sobbed incoherently, guilt melting my innards at his pain. He was so beautiful and powerful; it broke my heart to leave him like that. But I had no choice.
To my luck, as I approached the brown stable, I saw one uneasy, restless horse still in his pen. I rushed to put a saddle and reigns on him, and I rode him at break neck speed on the carriage path through the forest, wary of unforeseen titans lurking within its darkness.
Levi
As we practically flew through Wall Rose to Wall Sina, I continued to cut the bitch up on top of how secured she was; we could not be too careful, not with her full powers unknown to us still.
“Levi,” Erwin called to me from behind the Female Titan, and I rode my horse down to him, my face grim but ablaze with purpose. “There is a high number of titans surrounding a certain point of Wall Sina.” I looked at his face, searching for his meaning, but I already knew what he meant; I just didn’t want to accept it.
On the horizon, the white marble top of Wall Sina rose up, a haven for all of Humanity.
“There’s a breach?” I questioned him, and he looked back to the Wall so far up ahead of us. He nodded slowly, and I said nothing.
What was the best plan of action?
I looked around me to the faces of my comrades, of civilians thrown in to war unwillingly, and saw the dead set fear rise inside of them. A storm brewed within them, and lightning struck their nerves with terrible fear and desperation.
Too often had I been careless, with my own life and the lives of the people around me; I disobeyed orders left and right without second thought. But those orders weren’t only put in for myself; they were said for the safety of the people around me, my comrades.
How would these men and women fare if I left for my own selfish reasons? Would they be picked off, one by one, by an unforeseen onslaught of titans, or would they desert the Wings of Freedom out of fear and self-preservation?
They needed me.
Hanji was strong and capable and Humanity’s Smartest; she could outwit anything and everything, including herself. She was strong enough to protect herself and stay alive.
But she was reckless with her life.
She had a baby-our baby- she wouldn’t put herself in to the dangers she bubbled over with excitement about.
Would she?
No, she wouldn’t, because she loved me.
My comrades needed me more.
Hanji was strong, strong enough to keep herself alive for a day without me.
“I will stay with the group and formation until we safely reach Wall Sina and the Female Titan is secured, but then I must leave to find Hanji and make sure she’s safe,” I said grimly, and Erwin looked at me but I didn’t return his gaze.
“I’m glad to see you back, Levi,” he said.
Hanji
I rode the horse in to the ground without a stop, but it had been too long since I had the run in with the titan whom attacked the Castle. It was possible he was the only one who had gone so far away from the Walls and city, after all the Castle was a day’s journey from the city, but that was unlikely.
Where there was one titan, there was always, always more.
I rode for a long time on the path with nothing more than the echoes of the horse’s clopping run and his labored breathing to keep us company, and it seemed as if I truly had only one titan to be wary of.
I had deep, heavy cramps in my stomach, but I assumed the cramping was from the jostling of riding the horse.
But then I almost collided head on with a 15 meter class titan that popped out of the side of the forest and on to the path.
I screamed and avoided him as he turned around to chase me, and he was hot on my trail. The horse screamed as I begged him on faster for our lives, and, as I looked over my shoulder to gauge a plan to escape the titan, two more, a 20 and a 35 class titan, appeared out of the woods behind the original titan.
One of the titans crawled on all fours like a lightning fast spider, and he snapped his trembling jaw in lurches when our eyes met. The other one seemed to almost skip as he chased me, his head turned up to look at the sky through the green tree tops.
I could only pray for no more titans to join the chase for my flesh.
I could only pray for a savior with the talent of Humanity’s Strongest.
Levi
Hours later, we reached Wall Sina, and the Female Titan drew restless. With the help of three other soldiers, we blinded, deafened, and immobilized her so she had no chance of escaping, but, once we reached the gates, there were no Garrison guards to let us in; a bad sign.
Fear sickened my stomach as Scouts flew on to the Wall to open the gates for us to enter a new hell hole.
As soon as the gates were fully opened, we rushed in on Erwin’s command, but we were shocked at what we saw: titans in Wall Sina.
“VAN AND FRONT GUARDS, REINFORCE THE GARRISON AND MILITARY POLICE!” Erwin screamed as half of us departed for war and the rest of us took the Female Titan to our base, the safest place-beside the King’s Palace-in all of Wall Sina.
Eren and I rode up beside Erwin on either side of him.
“Commander,” Eren began, his voice filled with determination. “Let me Transform and fight the titans pouring in through the breach.”
Chaos loomed around the corner as titans swarmed the Scouts with the Female Titan, and I readied my blades to engage.
“PROTECT THE FEMALE TITAN AT ALL COSTS!” Erwin boomed over the thunder of the titans, and soldiers engaged.
I flew off my horse and set my eyes on two titans baring down on the Female Titan as she squirmed to get away. A pack of soldiers guarded her neck in case she decided to leave, their swords mere inches from the soft flesh of her neck.
Lightning cracked behind me with a white flash of heat, and Eren’s titan roared with a vengeance as he headed for the breach.
I sliced the napes of titans like butter, never slowing down as they fell to my feet in smoldering ashes and cinders that fell like snow through the dark evening sky.
Still, I was not fast enough to save all of my comrades, as titans picked them up and crushed their bones with their blood stained yellow teeth like tooth picks, but, finally, with what numbers we had left, we made it to Scout Base.
I stood on the highest ledge of the building, a wary eye on the horizon of the dying city as disfigured heads loomed over the red roof tops, as the Scouts brought the Female Titan inside of the building, and, once everyone was inside, I followed Erwin.
“I’m going to find Hanji,” I said to him bluntly, and he nodded his head.
“That’s a wise decision. Bring her here once you get her from the Castle.”
With a flurry of steam and hooks, I flew out of Base and headed for the forest path.
Hanji
“No, no, no, NO!” I screamed at the horse in his ear as he slowed down on the path, his dark eyes barely open still as his legs gave out under him.
The horse and I rolled down the rocky dirt path as the titans squealed with excitement, and the horse rolled on top of my hips, its long neck pulled down along its back, broken and dead. I screamed as it crushed my belly and I tried to push its corpse off me furiously, but it barely moved. I kicked and squirmed to get away and the titans came upon me.
The spidery one was the first on me, and he picked up the horse and threw it in to the forest so hard that the body broke trunks and exploded with carnage after all of its bones crunched audibly.
I rolled on to my stomach to crawl away, my legs screaming in agony, but the skipping titan scooped me up like a smooth stone. It squeezed my abdominal hard and I wailed in pain as I felt hot stickiness pour from between my legs. I kicked and screamed and punched its burning flesh as the titan brought me to its thin lips.
Then, with a heavy wind and a flurry of blades to its neck, the titan’s grip on me loosened as its big brown eyes rolled in to the back of its head, and, with me, it fell to the ground with a heavy thud and crunch.
The other titans fell quickly in heaps of ashes and flames as I crawled out of the ashes of what was the titan’s hand, and I laid on the ground in tears.
I reached down to my thighs and felt the slickness wetting them and then I brought my hand to my face to see only black and crimson instead of dark tan skin. I screamed again as I felt more of my blood spill from my body, and then my savior flew to my side and swept me up in to his arms as we heard more titans in the near distance.
I sobbed horribly as pain and cramps racked my heavy body, and I looked up at Levi who dared not to look down at me.
“Levi,” I cried, and I turned my face in to his chest as we flew as fast as lightning through the dark trees.
Levi
Hanji’s screams of agony turned my bones to ice as I flew as fast as I could through the dark trees, the bright sun setting on the purple and golden horizon, and I tried to keep my cool as we flew over the demolished Infirmary at the center of town. I tried to keep my cool as we flew past Eren as he carried a massive boulder on his shoulders to plug up the breach like he had in Trost District so long ago. I tried to keep my cool as, one by one, the remaining titans within the Walls were slaughtered and people cried below in the streets as they died slowly. I tried to keep my cool as we crashed through a glass window in Base while Hanji’s screams died away to quiet whimpering.
Soldiers turned to us as I fell to my knees on the shards of shattered glass, Hanji cradled in my blood soaked arms.
“Corporal?” Sasha Braus whispered, her hand timidly outstretched to us, and I bit my lips hard enough to taste my iron blood.
“Help her, please..please,” I whimpered, and Sasha rushed to our side with Connie Springer.
“She’s…pregnant,” Sasha gasped as she tore Hanji’s long skirts and loose petticoats from her body, and I nodded my head, my face turned away from them. “Clean up the glass! Get me warm water and scissors and-and blankets!” Sasha yelled to the crowd, and people rushed to help.
Blood spilled everywhere as they moved Hanji to lay down with her legs up, and the only testament to life within her battered and bruised and bloodied body was her haggard breathing as Sasha begged her to push and stay with us. I held Hanji’s hand and gently kissed her forehead, her pale body covered in a soft sheen of sweat.
“It’s a girl!” Sasha yelled, and a faint smile plastered Hanji’s lifeless face. I left her side to hold our baby, and Hanji’s head lolled to her shoulder.
Our baby did not cry.
“Hanji,” Sasha said and I wiped the blood from our baby girl’s face, tears blinding my eyes.
Our baby was silent.
Sasha gently slapped Hanji and her eyes fluttered open again.
“Hanji,” she said again.
“Ro-Rosa…Rosaline…”
“Wha-what?”
Hot tears traced down the bloodied skin of my face as the door to the room slammed open, but I didn’t turn to see who entered. I crawled on my knees to Hanji’s side, and she tried to look at me, Sasha sitting at my side as Connie talked to the people who entered the room.
“Is that what you want to name her,” I said to Hanji, and she smiled broadly.
“Yes,” she croaked, and I smiled too.
“Baby Rosaline,” I whispered softly to my tiny daughter as I delicately touched her face with my thumb, and I traced my thumb down to her small hand and slipped it in to her palm. Her hand barely went up to my knuckle, and a tear fell on to her expressionless face.
Then Rosaline was ripped from my arms and I looked with rage up to an older woman as soldiers grabbed my arms.
“YOU BITCH!” I bellowed at the woman.
Everything seemed to be in slow motion as I screamed and kicked at the walls and people in the room and guards that dragged me away from Hanji.
“LET ME GO YOU BASTARDS! GIVE ME MY BABY BACK MOTHER FUCKERS! GIVE HER BACK TO ME YOU MONSTERS, YOU SCUM BENEATH MY GODDAMN FUCKING FEET! GIVE HER BACK TO ME!” I screamed til I choked and spluttered on my own blood, and the guards stopped walking through the stone corridors. The guard that guided us through the building turned to me, cocked his fist, and slammed his punch in to my face so hard I reeled back.
My head rolled forward and fell to my chest, and I tried to look up to the man. I couldn’t though because the world around me spun hard and fast and grew darker and darker until…
Hanji
Groggily I woke up in a hard, scratchy bed, and my body felt heavy like cinder blocks. I felt like I’d been brutally beaten in to the ground, and my head screamed in protest as I tried to open my eyes to the dim world around me. Absentmindedly, I gently laid a hand on my big belly and-
My eyes shot open and I sat up in bed, my hand desperately searching the sheets on and around my body, panic setting in quickly, but I laid back down with a moan because my body protested all movement. I closed my eyes and groaned, and I pressed the heels of my hands in to my eyes hard as tears spilled from them.
I raped the hazy memories of my mind for what happened to me, but I found nothing.
I dropped my hands to my sides and wept bitterly, but then I felt the cool touch of calloused fingers hold my hand.
“Levi,” I whispered, and his hand squeezed mine harder in response. “Whe-where is she?” He didn’t respond, and I opened my eyes to look at him.
I started to remember things vaguely-the breach in the walls, and…lots of glass and white hot searing pain all over my body.
“Where’s Rosaline?” I looked to his face searchingly, but he did not look at me.
A single tear rolled down his cheek as his rubbed his thumb on the face of my hand tenderly.
I laid back in to my bed and screamed in pain, my body racked with hard, broken sobs and I choked on my salty tears with realization.
Sign up to rate and review this story