Categories > Books > Harry Potter > A Different Sort of Bond

Chapter 29

by Balder 5 reviews

Another shopping trip and the ladies get a taste of how the non-magical do things.

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Humor,Romance - Characters: Harry,Neville - Warnings: [!] [?] - Published: 2015-03-04 - 2224 words

5Ambiance
A Different Sort of Bond

Disclaimer: I don't own Harry Potter!
Author’s Note: More shopping, the ladies all get to experience some of the nicer things about the non-magical world.

Chapter 29
Daphne’s parents liked Bill and Fleur and Bill liked the homemade beer. Fleur had her usual effect on Alexander and Anders at first but they both threw it off soon. Helene was glad to find another Frenchwoman and they chatted in that language while Bill chatted with Anders and praised his beer.

“Well this has been great but we must return home,” Bill said.

Fleur nodded, “But I shall be returning tomorrow to go on the shopping trip.”

“It will be great to have you along cherie,” Helene said.

The next morning Harry and Daphne dressed for the non-magical world and headed down for breakfast.

“When are you heading out?” Daphne’s father asked.

“As soon as Tracey and Fleur get here,” Daphne replied. “Hermione can’t come after all. She’s is off with her parents today.”

Shortly after they finished breakfast Tracey came over and said, “Let’s call Fleur! I don’t want to wait too long.”

“She might be asleep,” Harry said.

“If she’s sleeping late we’ll call back later,” Tracey said. “There are a lot of people there Daphne said. Surely one of them will be awake to talk?”

“True,” Harry agreed.

Daphne said, “Alright then. Follow me to the floo and we’ll call the Burrow.”

Fleur was awake it turned out and trying to avoid eating a heavy English breakfast. She came right over, “Oh Harry, I know you love them but I simply cannot stomach so much food so early in ze morning! A little coffee and a bit of bread, preferably croissant, is the most I can manage until at least eleven.”

“No wonder you keep such a good figure,” Tracey said.

“Your figure is no worse than mine,” Fleur said back.

Tracey snorted, “Even if I wasn't pregnant I wouldn't believe that but thanks anyway. How are we getting to this place?”

“We are going to floo to the leaky cauldron then once outside Harry will call for a limousine he has waiting for us and it will take us there in style.”

Tracey said, “I’ve never taken muggle transport before, is it nice?”

Harry grinned, “I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised.” He grabbed a bit of floo powder, “Are we all here and ready?” Hearing a chorus of agreement he tossed the powder into the fire and called out, “The Leaky Cauldron!”

Once everyone was there he lead them outside and took a cellphone out of his pocket. He smiled at Daphne, “While you were getting me the watch I got myself this cellphone. I’ll call the limo company and we’ll be on our way soon.”

Harry walked to the corner while he called and gave the driver the cross streets. It fell to Fleur to explain to the others what a cellphone was, “But they do not work when there is too much magic around so he couldn’t call ahead. Still they are very useful devices.”

“Wow,” Tracey said. “I wish they taught this in Muggle studies.”

“They did in my school,” Fleur said. Then she added, “No offense.”

“None taken,” Tracey replied. “I guess I’ll be learning a lot from Harry and Hermione.”

“I know I already have,” Daphne said.

Soon the limousine pulled up and the driver opened the rear door for them, “Champagne and six flutes as requested sir, along with our best beluga, crackers, and a liter of sparkling water from the San Pellegrino spring in Terme, Italy for those who are pregnant or do not wish to drink alcohol.” They all piled in and sat down, the girls exclaimed over the amount of room.

Harry poured Tracey some of the San Pellegrino water and said, “Well I knew there would a fair few of us so I made sure the vehicle would have plenty of room. Let’s open the champagne, Fleur can tell us if it is truly a good vintage or not.”

“I am sure it is fine Harry,” Fleur said. “They wouldn’t stock anything horrible in such luxurious transport. Still I will be happy to look at the label and tell you if I know of it.” She pulled the bottle from the ice bucket and gasped, “ ‘Arry! This is from ma uncle’s vinyard!”

“Oh, is it?” Harry replied, trying to look innocent.

“Merci mille fois,” she said laughing. “In that case I shall pour for everyone.” She popped the cork expertly then filled and passed flutes of champagne out. Then she passed out a cracker with beluga caviar to each person.

Tracey asked, “Is this normal muggle food and drink?”

Harry grinned, “Not exactly, it’s more the sort of thing you’d get at formal occasions.”

She nodded and smiled, “Ah, I understand that. Drinks that you walk around with just to have something in your hand and snacks that don’t fill you up but you can eat neatly and quickly.”

“If you want to experience the sorts of thing non-magicals our age eat then we can have that for lunch,” Harry said. “I just wanted to start with a little high class snack.”

“And surprise Fleur,” Daphne said. “You stole my idea to order from her uncle and turned it into a prank.”

Harry kissed her, “Thank you dear.”

She tried to look grumpy but couldn’t hold it and smiled, “Tell your uncle this is very good and that we shall order some wine from him soon.”

Fleur smiled, “I’m glad you liked it and I will be sure to tell him.”

They soon arrived at the front entrance of the store and once inside Daphne said, “Isn’t it just divine? All this space devoted to shopping! Let me show you the lingerie section then we can shop for maternity wear, and then Harry can ask if they have a home brewing section before we shop for other clothes and of course shoes!”

Harry had to follow along as they went up a level and over to the lingerie section and Daphne asked his opinion on everything but it didn’t seem to Harry that she was paying attention to his answers.

Anitra, Daphne’s mother, chuckled at Harry’s blushes, “You have seen us all naked except for Fleur so I fail to see why you should blush when I debate maillot versus thong with my sister in law? Or when Daphne asks you what you’d like to see her in?”

Harry just shrugged and mumbled. Daphne came to his rescue then, “It’s all new to him mum. I’m sure he’ll get used to it eventually but this is only the second time he’s been shopping for such things with me and the first time doing it with anyone else or so many. I think he’s doing wonderfully considering everything.”

Harry smiled brightly at Daphne, “Thank you love!”

She leaned down to kiss his cheek, “Anytime love.” Then she grinned, “If you like you can go ask about homebrewing equipment now and take a break from all the underwear talk.”

Harry stood on tiptoe to kiss her cheek, “Thanks dear, I think I’ll go do that.” As he left he heard Anitra say, “Now that I can talk to you alone I must ask how do you manage in bed with him so much shorter?” He quickly walked further away glad not to be able to heard Daphne’s answer and remembering to stay in the general area of the floor he found someone to ask about homebrewing.

“Excuse me,” he started. “I have an uncle who makes his own beer and I was wondering if you had anything here that might assist him in that endeavor?’

The man looked disappointed, “Oh I am sorry sir. Aside from books on the process we do not have anything specifically for that. Is there anything else I can help you with?”

Harry nodded, “My fiancée is currently buying lingerie but once she is done I’ll want to check out the books. Where are they from here?” After the man told him Harry nodded and headed back towards the lingerie section.

As he got close he heard Daphne’s voice, “I really like these Heidi Klum intimates. Obviously she knows what it’s like to be tall and well endowed.”

Harry grinned as he came up to the group and said, “I’m sure she does as she is built the same way you are. Of course you are lovelier than any supermodel.”

Daphne put down the bra she’d been holding and dragged Harry over for a deep kiss, “Thank you Harry. I think we’re done in this department. Come on along to cashier if you’re still planning to pay for my purchases.”

“Of course dear,” Harry said. “Next I’d like to go to where they have the books. They don’t have home brewing equipment but the employee said they have books on the subject so I’ll get one for Anders. I’d also like to get a book or two for Hermione.”

Daphne smiled, “I’m sure they will both love what you get them.”

After book shopping came shoe shopping. Hours later they wanted lunch and after a brief conversation with an employee Harry led them to the Canti Prosecco bar and Pizzeria. Once there he said, “To answer your previous question Tracey this is more the sort of thing people our age eat while out together.” Then he shrugged, “Well, the wealthier ones among them at least.”

She looked around at the huge array of options wide eyed then shrugged, “I’ve never tried any of it so I’ll go with whatever the rest of you order.”

Harry and Fleur helped everyone decide what to order. They ended up getting two small pies with different toppings to share and either raspberry lemonade or elderflower bubbly to drink.

Fleur tasted her pizza and smiled, “I think this is much better than the pizza most teens eat though Harry. Besides if you really wanted them to eat how the average British teen eats then you should have taken us to get fish and chips wrapped in a newspaper shaped like a cone.”

Daphne made a face, “I think I can live with slightly less authenticity than that thank you. How do you know anyway? You’re from France.”

Fleur grinned, “Before I started dating Bill I dated a few others mostly either Gringott’s or Ministry personnel and two of them took to the same fish and chip shop swearing it was the best in London and both were of the opinion that until you’ve had fish and chips you have not had any true British food.”

They all enjoyed lunch then dragged Harry off for more shopping. They looked at and bought numerous maternity clothes for Tracey and baby stuff for after the birth. It was near dinner time when they finally returned to the limo. The driver helped them pile the bags in the trunk although they had used a few surreptitious shrinking charms to make sure it all fit. On the way back everyone hugged him and thanked him for arranging transport and buying lunch.

“This is really the best way to travel,” Tracey decided.

“I actually still like brooms better,” Harry said quietly. “But I agree this is way better than floos or portkeys.” He’d kept his voice down just in case although they could hear classical music coming from the front of the limo making it very unlikely the driver would hear anything.

Fleur looked at the dark glass separating them from the driver and said, “I wonder what he thought when he saw you with all of us Harry?”

Harry blushed, “I hope it was nothing bad.”

Daphne kissed him and said, “I’m sure it wasn’t. Probably just thought I was dragging my boyfriend shopping so he could bankroll it. Or that you were showing off for your girlfriend and her friends and family.”

Harry smiled, “Well I guess the second is pretty true. I was kind of showing off. At least I wanted to wow all of you with the way the non-magical world does things.”

Anitra nodded, “Nothing wrong with that and you have succeeded.” She looked at Tracey and Fleur, “I’d like to invite both of you to dinner. Can you?”

Tracey agreed but Fleur said, “I need to get back to my fiance. He has been all day away from me and I from him. I will go have dinner with him and his family and then tell him all about my day and hear about his. I do thank you for the lovely day out but as soon as the car stops I’m off to my future in laws and my William. I’ll see you at the wedding if not before.”

True to her word Fleur disappeared with a pop once the limo had driven off. The others made their way back to the Greengrass estate through the Leaky Cauldron floo.
Sign up to rate and review this story