Categories > Books > Harry Potter > A Reason to Live

A Cry in the Dark

by sailorchick321 0 reviews

harry hears a noise and decideds to find out what it is.

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama - Characters: Harry - Published: 2006-08-15 - Updated: 2006-08-15 - 900 words

4Moving
i don't own the song "Danny boy" either.

A Cry in the Dark

Sometimes Harry wished that alcohol affected his system the same way it affected muggles. The magic in the blood of a wizard burned the alcohol out at a quicker rate than normal, and his blood was more magical than most. This had the effect of reducing the bottle of scotch he had just consumed to the equivalent of 3 or 4 shots. He had a light buzz, but was far from pissed. At least, working at a bar, he didn't have to pay for his liquor.

About two blocks from home he heard what sounded like a hurt dog, or maybe an abandon puppy; the soft cry of a scared animal. Harry had a tender spot for hurt animals, he blamed Sirius for it, but he could stand to see animals hurt. Looking up and down the empty street he sighed and started towards the ally, changing into his wolf form as he went. He figured if it was a puppy the quickest way to gain its trust was to be a canine himself.

As he headed into the ally he caught the sent of blood. He paused to sniff the air, human blood. He changed back into him self and then immediately into a raven. He flew over the ally to see what he was dealing with before he charged in.

A little girl, 2 at most and probably younger, sat crying holding onto a woman. The woman was hurt badly. The child was crying "MAMA MAMA MAMA" over and over. There was no one else in the ally that Harry could see.

Quietly, Harry landed out of sight and pulled out his cell phone dialing 911 as he slowly approached the two figures in the ally.

"Emergency, what is the problem?" said a ladies voice over the phone.

"I'm on Peachtree and 5th near the college; I found a woman and a baby in an ally. Both are hurt badly. I think the woman may be dead. He answered her, still easing closer to the child.

"I've dispatched marked units and emergency personal; to your location. Are you in any danger sir?"

"No." He answered her.

"Would you like me to stay on the line until the officers and medics get there?"

"No, I'm going to try to get the little girl away form the body."

"Don't move the child unless you can do so without injury to her. And if the woman is alive, do you know CPR?"

"Yes, ma'am."

"The officers should be they shortly. Good bye, sir."

Hanging up the phone and returning it to his pocket. Harry knelt behind the little girl. He startled the child and she started to back away from him in fear. Harry quickly ascertained that the woman was indeed dead before turning his attention to the terrified baby. Who was at the moment crawling away from him screaming, "no, mama, no, no, mama, mama."

Harry stood and moved to block her path. He sat down and opened his arms to the child. "Shhh, come here, honey. It's alright. Shhh." He continued to try to coax the child to him, all the while scooting closer to her. Softly, he started singing the only lullaby he knew.

Oh Danny boy, the pipes, the pipes are calling
From glen to glen, and down the mountain side
The summer's gone, and all the flowers are dying
'Tis you, 'tis you must go and I must bide.
But come ye back when summer's in the meadow
Or when the valley's hushed and white with snow
'Tis I'll be here in sunshine or in shadow
Oh Danny boy, oh Danny boy, I love you so.

As he sang the little girl stopped crying and sat listening to him. Harry had never considered himself to have a wonderful singing voice, but it did seem to entrance the child. As he sang he managed to get close enough to touch the girl, and he picked her up just as he started the second verse.

And if you come, when all the flowers are dying
And I am dead, as dead I well may be
You'll come and find the place where I am lying
And kneel and say an "Ave" there for me.
And I shall hear, tho' soft you tread above me
And all my dreams will warm and sweeter be
If you'll not fail to tell me that you love me
I'll simply sleep in peace until you come to me.

The child struggled against him for a moment before relaxing into his embrace. He moved both of them away from what he assumed to be her mother's body and sat them facing away from it. he continues to sing to he as he sat waiting for the police to show up.

As he waited, he checked the child for injury. She had many bruises, a cut above her left eye and her lower lip was split. He ran his hand slowly over her lip as he sang and healed the cut there. He was by no means a qualified healer, but he had learned enough during the war that cut and bruises were easy enough. After finishing with her lip he moved to her brow. As he sang softly and gently rubbed the cut away, the little girl snuggled into his chest and fell asleep.
Sign up to rate and review this story