Categories > Books > Harry Potter > A Reason to Live

the Little Girl

by sailorchick321 1 review

the aftermath of hte alleyway

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama - Characters: Harry - Published: 2006-08-15 - Updated: 2006-08-16 - 882 words

5Moving
The Little Girl

Harry looked down at the sleeping child in his arms and sighed. He had an eerie feeling that he was stuck. She was a cute little girl with light brown hair with a slight curl and deep green eyes. Not emerald green the way his were, hers had a brown rim to them and were flecked with brown as well. Her small hands had grasped hold of his shirt and bunched it up. He continued to gently shift her around in his arms as he looked for bruises or cuts that he could heal. She was still sniffling in her sleep, and each time he moved she would cling to him tighter.

He was forced to stop his inspection of the girl when he heard sirens approaching. He stood slowly and walked to the edge of the alley, still cradling the sleeping girl in his arms. From the alley way he could see three approaching police cars and an ambulance. The vehicles approached him and pulled to a stop. Six cops and 3 paramedics disembarked. One of the officers approached him.

"You called this in?" A heavy set, middle aged black lady asked him.

"Yes, ma'am. The lady is dead, I checked after I called, she's back there. The little girl here seems to be alright, but she was clutching to the body when I found them." He answered her. "It took a minute to get her to come to me, but she's sleeping now."

Harry stayed and answered questions about who he was and how he had found the two, while the others saw to the dead woman. Several other police officers arrived, as well as two detectives who took over the questioning him. All the while the little girl clung tightly to him in her sleep.

"We're gonna haft to take the little one to the hospital and get her checked out, then try to find the next of kin." One of the detectives said hold out his arms for the child.

As Harry moved to hand the little girl to him, she woke up. she looked around her, directly at the cop, then started screaming and thrashing about again. She was moving so wildly that the detective almost dropped her, before Harry reached for her again. He started singing softly to her again and she quieted down and snuggled into him again.

"It might just be easier if I go with her. I'm off work tomorrow anyway." Harry offered, after trying repeatedly to get the child to go to one of the other officers.

"Thank you. Mr. Evans." The detective said pointing to the ambulance. "if you could just ride in the back with her..." he trailed off as one of the paramedics came to escort Harry to the ambulance.

**

"I understand the child has taken quite a shine to you, Mr. Evans."

Harry looked to the door at the man to whom the voice belonged. Harry was sitting the lobby of the St. Josephs, still holding the girl. She had screamed and thrashed about anytime anyone had tried to take her from him. The nurse had decided it was in the child's best interest if Harry held her and she worked around that. The girl had still shied away from the nurse, but had remained quite. After the nurse determined that the child was healthy she had asked Harry to wait in the lobby for child services to arrive, that they would need to speak to him.

"You could say that. Mr...?" Harry waited for the man to introduce himself. The man was in his forties, slightly graying, tall and well built, dressed in a business suit without the jacket.

"Richard Thompson. Call me Rich." The man replied taking the seat across from Harry.

"Harry, what can I do for Rich?"

"Has the child spoken since you found her?"

"In the alley she was screaming 'no' and 'mama' but other than that, no." Harry replied. "Have they found out who she is? Who the lady was?"

"No, and they're not likely to. I understand you were the one who found them?" at Harry's nod he continued. "How closely did you look at the woman?"

"Not very." Harry admitted. "I checked for a pulse and when there wasn't one I concentrated on the little girl."

"They can't identify the woman. As I understand it, they think It was a professional hit. All identifying parts of the woman were removed. Fingerprints, teeth, eyes, not very pretty."

Harry grimaces at the man's description. "So you think the killer over-looked the girl, or just goofed and was supposed to kill both? Someone that through doesn't seem that the girl would still be around if he knew she was there."

"I don't know." Rich replied. "The papers are gonna say that both were killed and the girl is going to be placed in a home under a different name. She's too young to remember anyway."

Harry nodded. He had his doubts about the girl not remembering; after all he remembered the night his parents had been killed, but he said nothing about it. "So you're just here to pick her up? Good luck with that."

Rich chuckled. "So I've heard. No, Mr. Evans, I'm here to talk you into keeping her."
Sign up to rate and review this story