Categories > Cartoons > Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles > Forever and Always: A TMNT Drabble Fic

Chapter 13

by Flyer16 0 reviews

Life is a miracle. (If you don't like medical procedures... don't read.)

Category: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Romance - Published: 2015-09-09 - 1551 words

0Unrated
It’s the weirdest thing… how something so small and helpless can turn a grown man to jelly.
--Flyer16

~~~~~~~

“Alright, Carrie. We’re on.” Donnie said, smiling.

“I gotta push!” she yelled.

“Just stick your chin deep in your chest and push through the next contraction.” He instructed as he checked her dilation. “On the count of three, you give it all ya got, ok?” He said. Raph rubbed her shoulder comfortingly as Donnie checked the monitors.

Carrie nodded and looked up at Raph with terrified eyes. He did his best to smile, but all he could muster was a wary twitch of his lips.

“One…” Donnie counted.

She closed her eyes tightly.

“Two…”

She gripped Raph’s hand like a vise.

“Three!”

Raph was pretty sure he wouldn’t be hearing much of anything for a week. Carrie’s ear-splitting yell must have been heard all the way to Jersey.

~~~

Leo, Mikey, Splinter, April, and Casey nearly jumped out of their skin in the next room.

“AHHH! OH MY GOOOOD!”

“Is that what all labor is like?” Mikey yelled, hands covering his ears.

“How should I know, Shell Brain?” Leo yelled back.

~~~

“That was good, Carrie.” Donnie said like she didn’t just blow every ear drum within a mile radius. “I could feel the baby’s head moving outward all the way through that.”

He must have seen the look on Raph’s face, because he asked, “You ok?”

Before Raph could stop himself, he said, “Sorry, WHAT WAS THAT?”

Carrie reached over and slapped his shoulder with a glare, but didn’t loosen her death grip on his hand. When it was time to push again, she used it to brace herself.

Time passed like a snail’s race. Splinter came in a few times with some energy rich food like protein bars and bananas. Carrie almost immediately demanded pickles and ice cream and Raph pretended to gag while she wasn’t looking.

Through it all, Donnie would tell her to push as hard as she could. But it didn’t take a genius to know that she was beginning to weaken.

Hours later, she stopped. “C'mon, Carrie. Keep pushing” Donnie encouraged.

“I can’t…” she barely whispered.

“Yes you can.” he said as he turned to the monitors. “Keep going. You can do it.”

Raph watched his brother’s forehead pinch together with worry. Donnie studied all the monitors like they weren’t telling him something.

“Don?” Raph said. "What-?"

Donnie didn’t let him finish his question. “Carrie,” he tried to act like nothing was wrong. “Raph and I are going to step to the side for a minute. But we’ll be right over here.”

Carrie looked between them anxiously, but nodded.

“Donnie? What’s wrong?” Raph asked him when they were alone.

“The baby’s not moving and her heart rate’s peaking.” He said. “If this goes on for much longer, she’ll stoke out.”

Raph glanced over at his wife who was busy with her breathing exercises.

“What do you suggest we do?” he asked Donnie without taking his eyes off of Carrie.

“There are two options: One, wait and see what happens. But that isn’t very ideal since she’s losing more energy every moment we wait. And two, cesarean section.”

Raph’s eyes snapped to Donnie’s. “That’s not what I think it is… is it?”

Donnie sighed. “If what you’re thinking is surgery, then yes.”

“No.” Raph said shaking his head vigorously. “No way in hell.”

“Raph, I don’t think you understand the situation. This could be the only thing that saves her life.” Donnie pointed to Carrie, who was gritting her teeth due to another large contraction.

Raph looked back at Carrie and kicked himself for how scared he was. “What you mean is, she’s dying.”

“What I mean is that if we don’t do something right now, you may lose your baby or wife. Possibly both.” Donnie held his gaze with Raph, determined to make him see the seriousness of the condition Carrie was in.

Raphael’s heart nearly jumped out of his mouth when she hollered out-loud. “Raph! Come back! Please!”

Donnie placed a hand on his shoulder. “You know what the best option is.”

Raph’s jaw tightened. “If either one of them dies, Donatello, I swear to everything holy and unholy…”

“Don’t worry.” Donnie smiled reassuringly. “I’ll be careful.”

Raph breathed deeply to calm his hyperactive nerves and tried to put on his bravest brave face as he walked back to Carrie’s side.

“What’s wrong?” she asked wearily.

Raph just smiled nervously. “Nothin’. Um… Donnie?”

“I’m going to have to perform a C-section.” Donnie said directly as he got all his equipment out and blatantly laid them on a small cart.

“W-What?” Carrie stammered as she watched him pick up a scalpel and check the sharpness. Her hand trembled in Raph’s palm, sweating up a hurricane. He put an arm lightly around her shoulders and kissed her head.

“It’s ok.” he whispered. “Don knows what he’s doing.”

“Alright.” Donnie said and brought out a catheter and IV bag filled with liquid. Raph watched with horrified fascination as he attached a plug-like thing to the end of a needle. “Carrie, I’m going to need you to sit up.”

Carrie did so, but not without a groan. Donnie wiped a small section of her back with an betadine and readied the huge needle.

“What are you duin’?” Raph asked.

“Giving her an epidural.” Donnie said and plunged the needle into her back. She winced. “It’ll numb her from here,” he pointed to the top of her swollen belly. “To her feet.”

He fed the catheter into the plug and lifted the bag so that the fluid streamed through the catheter and into Carrie’s spine. Almost immediately, relief flooded her face.

Donnie wiped Carrie’s skin again with betadine and set up a curtain, hiding what he was doing from Carrie, but not so much from Raph. Then, he positioned the scalpel at the bikini line of her belly.

“Ready?” he asked her. She gripped Raph’s hand like it as her life line.

“Is that a trick question?” she asked and shut her eyes tightly. “Just get it over with.”

Donnie didn’t wait another second. Raph’s eyes widened as the blade slipped easily through Carrie’s skin.

“You ok, Raph?” Donnie asked with a grin and quick glance from his work. “You’re looking a little green.”

“Ha ha.” Raph snapped. “Keep your eyes on your own paper.”

“Will you two shut up?” Carrie glared at them.

Raph tried to look everywhere in the room except there Donnie worked, but he found himself frequently glancing down for a brief moment before he threw up in his mouth a little bit. On one such glance, he caught sight of a tiny, green hand reach out and grab Donnie’s finger.

“Is that…?” he wondered out loud. Donnie looked up and smiled.

“We’re almost there.” he said quietly.

Carrie opened her eyes slowly. “Raph?”

Hours ago, Raph had thought that Carrie’s scream of pain was by far the loudest thing he’d ever heard. But now, the sound of his baby crying filled his ears and rendered him deaf to anything and everything else.

“It’s a boy.” Donnie said over the wailing. He clamped and cut the umbilical cord and handed the baby around the curtain to Carrie.

She reached out to take her son into her arms for the first time. His eyes were shut tight and his mouth was wide open in a wail. His shell was soft, just like all newborn turtles. His plastron was a yellowish brown. His skin was a light green. He didn’t have much of a nose. He had two toes and three fingers. The only thing that was remotely human on him was the soft fuzz of blonde hair on his head.

He was perfect.

“Oh…” Carrie breathed with tears in her eyes. “He’s so… beautiful.”

Raph cupped the baby’s head in his huge hand. He had actually prepared a whole “Welcome to Earth” speech to say when the baby was born. But now he opened and closed his mouth like a beached fish, desperately trying to remember the practiced words to properly welcome his son.

“Hey, kiddo.” He whispered emotionally.

A/N

This one is pretty damn long… You’re welcome XD

Yes… in case you were wondering… I made up the quote for this chapter. Have any of you ever witnessed a birth? If you haven’t, it’s like seeing a miracle from the Bible.

My sister-in-law just had a baby over the summer. The most beautiful baby girl I have ever seen. Her name is Mary Grace and let me just say that the moment my brother held her, it was like he had seen new Heaven and Earth. I’ve never, in my whole life, seen him cry before. But that day, it was like Niagara Falls re-located into his face.

Anyway, I think that’s where I got inspiration to write this chapter…

This is Flyer16. Over and out.
Sign up to rate and review this story