Categories > Books > Harry Potter > Wise Beyond Years Literally

Default Chapter

by Inkweaver 0 reviews

James Potter befriend the new kid, Ethan Riddle, who is as his last name suggests, a Riddle...

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: PG - Genres: Action/Adventure - Characters: Harry, James - Warnings: [!] - Published: 2006-08-16 - Updated: 2006-08-16 - 1435 words

2Insightful
Year: 1977

Place: Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry

Secondary place: Great Hall

Time: 7:00

Chapter One: The New Kid

"Where is Dumbledore!" exclaimed a hungry Sirius Black. Sitting next to him was poor Remus Lupin, and the unfortunate boy got an earful of Sirius shout.

"Padfoot, Dumbledore is a very busy man-," but he was drowned out by the low moan issued from Peter Pettigrew, who was also hungry. James Potter sighed at his friends squabbling, it was his sixth year at Hogwarts, like his friends, and he had matured because of the events that had happened during the summer: His parents had been killed by Lord Voldemort. Hearing their friends sigh, the three Marauders turned to the fourth.

"Are you okay, Prongs?" Padfoot questioned him, flicking black hair out of his grey eyes. James looked up from his reminiscing to reply.

"Yeah," he breathed. But Padfoot knew otherwise as Prongs eyes were filled with sadness. Suddenly there was a hush throughout the hall. Albus Dumbledore had arrived, with a larger twinkle in his eyes then usual.

"This year, we will have a transfer student from Durmstrang," his words sent people mumbling. "His name is Ethan Riddle." With his words, a boy stepped out of the door to the right of the staff table.

He was medium sized, with untidy raven-black hair and emerald green eyes; James wondered who they reminded them of, but then he remembered they looked like Lily's eyes.

"He has already been sorted into Gryffindor", The boy, known as Ethan, smiled and sat near James. The girls all over sighed and giggled. James could see Sirius turn red in anger; wooing the ladies was supposed to be his territory.

"Let the feast begin!" Dumbledore clapped and the annual start-of-term feast appeared; James glanced over at the new kid. His eyes sparkled and his face showed hunger.

He's a little slimmer than Remus, James thought as the kid grabbed four drumsticks, three different types of potatoes (boiled, mashed, and whole) and some vegetables. Smiling to himself, he grabbed his share of food.

"Hey Prongs, are you there? Earth to Jamsie," Sirius said, waving a hand in front of his best friends face. Sirius had suspiciously watched James stare at the new kid with an odd look on his face.

"Yeah Padfoot?" James asked. He had finished his food and was sitting back, watching the new kid; he just seemed to remind him of someone, but whom?

Later, after dessert, James got up and decided to see if the new kid needed help getting back to the common room. Normally, his old self would have let it go, but now he was going to be more responsible.

"Hey, uh, Ethan do you need help getting to the common room?" He inquired as the kid faced him. The kids eyes showed sorrow, but seemingly, when he heard James voice, his eyes brightened.

"Thanks," the first time he heard the kids voice; it was deep like his but help happiness. Nodding in a signal to get Ethan to follow him, James led him through the first years, second years, and the occasional lost fifth year until they reached the portrait of Godric Gryffindor.

"Hello James, I heard about your parents I'm-,"Godric then glanced at Ethan, his expression oddly closed.

"Who is this?"

"Lord Gryffindor, I am Ethan Riddle," James was shocked; no one called Godric Lord Gryffindor. However, to his surprise, Godric smiled.

"Nice to meet you Ethan." Godric swung open and Ethan gasped. James smiled at his amazement as Ethan stepped through and looked around.

"Wow!" He gasped, "It is so wow!" he plopped down in front of the roaring fire. Ethan smiled, and got a sleepy look on his face. James knew he was tired, so he conjured a blanket.

"Thanks," Ethan said, before placing the blanket around him and stretching out. James watched as the new kids breathing evened out and he fell to a sleepy slumber. Suddenly he got a fatherly protection of this kid, but why?

"PRONGS!" came Sirius's shout from up the stairs of the boys dormitory. Bounding down like the mangy, shaggy dog that he was, Sirius was about to plop down on the couch, but James's Quidditch reflexes saved Sirius from squashing Ethan.

"Shh," James put a finger to his lips. "You almost squashed Ethan." He pointed to the new kid.

"Aw," he hogged the good place to sit, Sirius whined, and plopped down on the chair next to the couch.

"What did you want anyway, Padfoot?" James asked; he didn't want Padfoot to think he was closing him out.

"I hexed-," but he was cut off by a scream from the girls dormitory.

"SIRIUS BLACK I AM GOING TO KILL YOU!" came the shriek of Lily Evans, James's crush. Ethan moaned and opened his eyes. James sighed, so much for being a nice nap for the new kid. Lily Evans came stomping down the stairs, her long red hair flaring behind her as her emerald eyes sparkled dangerously. She was huffing and the glared at James and Sirius with a death glare.

"YOU TWO ARE INSUFFERABLE!" she yelled.

"Sometimes I wonder how your parents can stand you!" James felt sadness in his stomach, the screaming of his parents came back to him.

"Uh what's wrong?" voiced Ethan; he was sitting up in the couch.

"Whats wrong is they... they... cursed my robes" But in the middle of her words, Ethan cut her off.

"No they didn't, James was with me," Ethan said, frowning at her robes, which had turned pink, as he took out his wand from its hiding place in his sleeve. James wondered briefly how he had it there.

"Here let me." Then he swished his wand in a wave and the fluorescent pink of her robes switched to the everyday black before their eyes. "A simple reversal charm," he smiled, and then frowned. His eyes, James could see, were filled with pain.

"Thanks for helping me get here, James," Ethan mumbled as he slinked off to the dormitory. James watched him close the door of the dormitory.

James turned back to Lily with fury evident in his eyes.

"My parents are dead, thank you very much," he said before brushing past her and trying his best to walk calmly up the stairs, but not succeeding. He opened the door to see Ethan sitting in the cove near his bed, staring out the window.

"Hey," James said softly. Ethan looked up, surprised, and then smiled.

"Do you like Quidditch?" he asked his green eyes sparkling. 'Wow that was a change of topic' James thought, but smiled; he was chaser.

"Oh I love it, you know the flying is amazing, my dad-," then James stopped; his dad and him had played Quidditch all the time.... before he had died. James plopped down on Sirius bed and stared at the new kid his mind whirling, 'I bet he has parents' sneered an evil voice in his head.

"Your dad what?" Ethan asked.

"My dad died along with my mum this summer to Lord Voldemort," James said, he watched surprised as Ethan did not wince at the Lords name.

"Oh 'I'm so sorry James," he said somberly; James did not want his pity, he opened his mouth to say so, but Ethan continued and he was serous.

"James, your mum and dad would have wanted you to remember them for they are; you Dad loved Quidditch and so did you. He would have wanted you to play for him, not to not play!" Ethan said fiercely. James sat amazed, no one had given him this advice before, and it was as if he experienced it. James sat there stunned.

"Goodnight, how about if you think on my words okay?" James watched stunned as Ethan got up, went to his bed, and closed the hangings. The only thing James heard was Ethan's rhythmic breathing.
'He must have been tired' James thought. He smiled, remembering when he first came here. The Sorting Hat, the halls, the food; they must have put something in that food it always makes you so tired on the first night here. The door swung open to see his three other friends.

"James, are you okay?" questioned Remus, his eyes showing true concern. James smiled, and it was real this time. Ethan's words had brightened him completely.

"Yeah, I'm fine." James said, then after said his goodnights to Remus, Sirius, and Peter. After, he fell into bed with his sleeping clothes on. It was one hell of a day and he could wait until tomorrow.
Sign up to rate and review this story