Categories > Original > Fantasy > Forever Cupid

Chapter 5

by aberdeenqueen22 0 reviews

Fifth chapter in an ongoing Jarida/Jerida Merida Cupid crossover fanfic. This chapter fallows Merida being dragged out to the pole by bunny. See how the story escalates….. (Enjoy!)

Category: Fantasy - Rating: PG - Genres: Crossover,Fantasy - Published: 2015-11-12 - 3414 words - Complete

0Unrated
“Errraaagh!” Pitch screamed at hearing the news of the Guardians getting to Cupid before him “Why you useless-!” he threw a blast of darkness toward one of his shadows, who shattered on impact. Feeling a bit calmer now that he’d taken his anger out, he bit at his thumb nail debating his next move. “That’s it,” he smiled and turned to his shadows “Change of plans boys!”
The shadows stirred eagerly and Pitch continued “We need to find any loose ends, any at all. We need to discover her center and attack at the source, but for now,” he grinned a dark toothy smile, “We’ll play have the waiting game, and everybody knows that all good things come to those who wait”
*
“Ahhh!” Merida hefted a medium sized crate above her head and threw it at the large door. It splintered slightly but bounced off on impact not making her escape any less futile. She slumped to the floor and stared out the window. Even if she did get out, she thought, there would be no escape. A fierce blizzard raged out side and flying through that would be a nightmare.
She’d been locked in a storage room of sorts, it was small and looked unused, like a dead end. Merida sighed but suddenly perked up at hearing murmured voices outside. She ran up to the door and placed her ear against it.
“She in there….. Yes. Yes I know… what did tooth say?...” She could only hear brief words from the conversation being held outside out-side. Suddenly, the door she leaned against opened wide, and being unable to catch her weight in time she fell to the floor with a loud thud. Her head shot up and she instinctively brushed the hair from her face revealing a burly man who smiled down to her. “Cupid! So nice to finally meet you!” he lent her a hand but she rejected it and picked herself up, brushing away dust from the floor off her white cloths.
He still smiled down to her displease features “I’d want ta’ say the feelin’s mutual but I’m not a fan of being kidnaped,” He just laughed at this and slapped her on the back, leaving her unimpressed and fairly winded. He began to walk away ordering her to fallow. She was hesitant up until the same yeti that had thrown her in the storage room nudged her roughly. She just glared at him fiercely but began to fallow North nonetheless.
“I’m curious why you brought me here y’know,” she asked him with an annoyed tone lodged in her throat. “All in good time Cupid,” He began as he led her to an area in the massive room that had a high ceiling and a perfect view of the enormous rotating globe.
A large fire place sat at the back of this area and standing by it was bunny, a short and stout golden man, and a colorfully feathered woman whose wings beat like a humming birds as she hovered above intricate tailing on the floor. This tailing held a large circle that had an upper case G in the middle of it. Outside of the circle tail were four triangles that branched off. Inside each triangle were figures that resembled the four people around her.
“What… did I do now?” Merida asked slowly, obviously a little concerned the guardians made an effort to bring her here. North laughed wildly at this “You were right when you said she was something, eh, bunny?” Merida whipped her head towards the rabbit. “You been talkin’ ‘bout me cottontail!” she pointed a finger at him in a threatening manner. “Only the truth Sheela,” he responded smugly.
Before she could state her mind any further, the colorful woman zipped in her direction. “Cupid I’m so happy we could finally meet! I love what you do, Oh! Look at your hair! It so pretty…” She spoke swiftly, making it an effort to keep up so Merida eventually lost interest. She cut the woman off and looked sternly at North “I’m wanting to know why I’m here North. Now” putting extra effort in the word ‘now’ making a point of how serious she was.
“Yes of course!” The burly made proclaimed. His beard and belly shook as he said this. He continued “The Man in Moon has brought it to my attention that you, are in need of protection,” he grew serious “Our protection” Merida just scoffed “Protection? I can handle myself, and I don’t need the Moon tellin’ anyone otherwise,” she turned around angrily to walk away but was met by stout golden man. She recognized him but still didn’t know who he was or what it was that he did. She was guessing it had to do with children’s sleep, seeming that he was always sending down streams of sand to their beds.
Merida grew annoyed with herself that she knew neither this man nor the colorful woman’s name, sure she’d been around for more than sixty years but within that time she mostly kept to her own, never branching out any farther than Jack and Bunny.
She wondered where Jack was suddenly, she knew he had more than a few problems with the guardians and if he knew that she was with them she’d never here the end of it. Her attention was diverted back to the golden man who looked up to her sternly with his arms crossed.
“Sandy!” The feathered woman hovered over and grabbed Merida’s shoulders, pulling her overt so that the two were face to face “heh, he’s just concerned about your wellbeing,” she shrugged and laughed awkwardly “But Cupid-” Merida interrupted suddenly “It’s Merida actually,”
“Oh, ah, Merida,” She continued, “You need to understand that you are in danger, we don’t really know from what, but-” she was cut off again by Merida “Are you serious? Are you serious!? You kidnap me, insist I need your protection and from what!? An unknown danger? My shadow perhaps?!” Ugh! This was ridiculous. Merida didn’t have time for this nonsense.
She turned from the still unknown woman and spotted a hatch on the roof, big enough for her to squeeze through. She spread her wings wide, leaving a power full gust of wind to fallow. With an effortless hop, Merida was now flying up to the hatch. The storm still raged outside but it couldn’t be as painful as the useless conversation she just had.
“Cupid!” she heard north call after her but she ignored him. Almost to the hatch, she thought, almost. In an instant of reaching it, she felt her wrist being tugged on. “Merida please,” the colorful woman had flown up to Merida with desperate eyes. She took in a deep breath and held out her hand as if asking for a hand shake “I know this is going to take time to convince you that we’re only trying to help and I know we sort of got off on the wrong start, so let’s try this again” she laughed awkwardly “Hi, I’m Toothiana, but my friends call me Tooth”
Merida eyed her suspiciously, unsure what to think of this. Should she take it? Her hand, Should she take it? Merida took in a large breath of air and blew it out slowly, making her finale decision.
“Well Toothiana, your right about one thing,” Merida said as she took her hand and began to shake it. Tooth looked to her curiously and asked “What’s that?” Merida replied with a playful yet serious grin “It’s going to take a lot of convincing,”
*
Merida had flown back down with Tooth to discuss this apparently serious matter. Throughout the conversation Merida was sceptical so North had decided each guardian would take a turn with Cupid in order to supply the knowledge of exactly what it was they did as guardians. The whole situation made Merida uneasy but she agreed, not that she thought she needed their protection, but mostly because she was extremely curious about what these other spirits did.
The first guardian she was to spend one on one time was Sand Man, the little golden man who she didn’t know from before. Merida discovered that he guarded children’s dreams and he was the one who chased away nightmares and bad thoughts. Merida could really respect this but she wondered to herself, where was he when she had nightmares?
The second guardian was North. She’d come to know him as a kind and fierce soul with a booming personality. He had shown her the entire pole. The caves that held the reindeer and sled (her personal favorite), where and how the yetis mad the toys, and finally he showed her to his personal workshop that was littered with unfinished toys and blocks of ice.
Here the two shared a conversation that escalated into something a bit more sensitive than Merida had wanted. “So Merida,” He had said “What makes you think you can protect yourself?” she was taken aback by this question, a little shocked he would divert the conversation to that topic so quickly “I’ve been around fer’ what? Eighty years if you count ma’ past life,” she said as she thought of her brothers and how Harris, the brother she saved, was the only one who didn’t believe in her. These memories stung but she forced back tears, as to not seem weak in front of anyone.
“And-” her voice cracked from her held back emotions but she cleared her throat and continued “Even in ma’ past life, I’ve always been a fighter, I’m not some damsel in distress needing a protector, and if there is any threat I can handle it, I can handle anathing,”
“And if you can’t?”
“Didn’t ya’ hear me? I can handle anathin’,” she snapped at him, slightly regretting how nippy she sounded. North let out a deep breath and stood up to face her “It isn’t you Manny or I am worried about,”
“Then, what are you tryin’ to protect?”
“Your center,” he said enthusiastically. “My what?” Merida asked confused. “Your center! We all have one, me, Bunny, Tooth, Sandy, and you. Our center is what makes us spirits, are centers are why we were chosen by Man in Moon,” Merida was extremely confused by this. What center?
North continued, “It is our center that makes us who we are, and as for yours,” he tossed her something and she reflexively caught it. She gazed down to the small object now lying in her hands to discover it was a small wooden doll painted to look exactly like her, except she had a kind, slightly blushing, expression on her face and on her chest was a large red heart. She looked up at North curiously and he continue “that is for you to find out, and I ask you Cupid, what is it that you bring to people, to this world?”
Suddenly a memory flashed before her eyes. The memory of her death…
…“Alright” Merida had said “One,” she began to swing Harris back and forth and he screamed even louder “Two” he started swing higher and higher “Three!” with one big swing, she hefted up the boy with as much force she could wield.
She let go of her brother and he flew straight up towards the edge. His brothers were able to cling to him and pull him back to safety.
“Ahaha!” Merida laughed, but too soon. The roots she clung to began to creak and snap. They broke instantly, but she managed to cling to the rocks a meter or two below, griping on to them as she began to fall.
Struggling to no end, Merida cried, “Hamish! Hubert! Harris!” the tone in her voice unsettling. “Don’t do this Merida!” one of the boys cried. All three of them knew exactly what was going to happen and none of them could do anything about it.
“It’s all right Merida, we’ll-“
“You’ll do what!” Merida screamed. This was already hard enough but her brother’s agony was the real thing killing her “Boys, there’s nothin’ you can do, and I can’t climb, the rock is too steep,” she continued “Tell Mum and Da I luv thum, and boys,” the three looked to her, tears nearly blinding them, “Never be afraid, I will always be watching, always be brave, and-” she chocked on her tears then, her bottom lip curled into a sob. Then something unexpected, she smiled widely as tears poured from her eyes “-And, I love you,”….
…This is when Merida died and this was when the memory had ended. Why had this memory come to her? What did it have to do with her center? She then suddenly realized “L-Love…” it can out as a whisper, then Merida said louder, pride ringing through her voice. “Love! That is my center!” North smiled widely and nodded in approval. He approached her and placed his large hands on each of her shoulders, “Than that is what we must protect”
She smiled while trying to hold back tears. This man before her was someone who understood, and who was like a father. The father she had lost. Unable to contain those tears she had forced down earlier, they came streaming out of her eyes and she hugged the man in front of her and cried into his beard. He seemed a little shocked at first but then claimed the new fatherly roll and hugged her back.
After the moment passed, Merida stepped back and used her arm to wipe away tears. “Alright North,” she smiled and looked down to her new doll. She faced him again and sniffled “you’ve convinced me,” North looked at her knowingly “Yes but” he paused “you still have to be convinced by two more guardians,”
‘Bu-”
“Ah ah ah,” he held up his index finger and waved it back and forth “You will go to Tooth Palace next, I would like to see what Toothiana has planned, maybe you need a bit more convincing,” he gave her a friendly wink as he nudged her on. She returned a thankful smile as she turned to leave for the Tooth Palace.
*
Jack flew on the breeze, accelerating with the high speed winds. It was midsummer and the only thing he could enjoy this time of year were exceptionally windy days.
He was currently in the northern hemisphere and with nothing left on his to do list he thought he’d pay the pole a visit, maybe even sneak past the yeti’s this time. “Wind!” he demanded as large gusts carried him away to the pole.
It was long before he reached the massive building that stood on a glacier, but as he neared something caught his eye, or rather, someone. Feeling the curiosity drawing him nearer he sunk up to the figure now flying away. Her grinned mischievously. As soon as her wing span and bushy red hair could be seen, jack knew exactly who it was.
*
Merida was given directions to the tooth palace and luckily for her the blizzard had died down. Won’t take me that long, she thought to herself. Although Toothiana’s was half way around the world, the wind currents were exceptionally strong today. Speaking of strong, the wind currents had suddenly doubled in speed, making it an effort to keep up while staying balanced. The wind began to whip her hair around.
It smacked Merida in the face a few times, temporarily blinding her, and as she pushed it out of her eyes, a glacier took its place. She yelled, startled, as she began to reel back, nearly crashing into the ice in the process, but the sharp turn in her flight pattern and the wind caused her to lose control and spin aimlessly as she fell.
“AHHH!” she cried as she plummeted to the freezing waters below. As she fell nearer and nearer to the water she tucked in her wings, squinted her eyes shut, and braced herself. Any second now she would be swimming, but instead of the impact of cold water she felt two arms grip on to her and carry her off.
Still tensed, Merida opened one eye slowly, only to be met by a smug smile. Merida opened both eyes and glared as she crossed her arms. “Am I always gonna have to catch you when you fall?” Jack still held onto his smug smile.
“Ugh. I would’a rather fell,” Merida said as she looked away to hide her blush. Jack made a sarcastic pouty face before he laughed “Suit yourself,” he suddenly whipped away his arm, allowing Cupid to fall directly into the snow bank below.
“Jack!” Merida yelled as she dug her way out of the snow bank. To be honest, Jack missed picking on her. It had been a while and without her fire his days grew dark. She looked up to him. He was casually drifting around her but there was nothing casual about their relationship any more. Merida began question herself, what relationship? Who would want a relationship with this ninny? She stopped herself and clamped a hand to her mouth. She hadn’t said it aloud but her hand served as a lid to that thought.
She felt her face hotten from a blush. Anger took the place of a now fading embarrassment. No, not anger, rage, and this rage was created by her remembering his lie. “Jack!” she screamed. He was fairly taken aback by the rage that was so clearly shown on her face. He landed a few feet away from her, a little concerned “Merida, are you-”
“I don’t want to hear it Jack!” she continued to yell “What I want to hear is how you know me!”
Jack went from concerned to confuse in seconds. He thought he should take a playful approach on this, try to loosen her up “Well if I remember it clearly you were falling and I was the hero to save you, the end” He smiled as he leaned against his staff, all that smile was doing for him now was masking his growing worry.
“No Jack” she looked at him like he was a fool “That’s not what I mean.”
Jack was shocked. Did- did she know? “Do you-” He began but was instantly cut off.
“Do I know about ma’ past life? Is that what you were goin’ ta’ ask?” she yelled angrily, tears forming in her eyes. It crushed him to see her so upset. She continued “Yes Jack. Yes I do know. And that’s a story I haven’t told yet, but I’m sure you already know all about it”
Jack felt his emotions inside him swirl. “Merida…” it came out as nearly a whisper, but more than anything it sounded like a plea. A plea for what? He didn’t exactly know. “Don’t” she said suddenly “You don’t get to call me that!” she practically spat the words out at him as she angrily wiped away hot tears. She turned around to spread her wings, she had enough of Jack to last her a life time, and just when- just when he- ugh. She silenced the thought. Whatever she thought she had with Jack was gone.
Right before she took off, Merida turned her head slightly back to Jack, but not enough so that she could she him, she still hid behind her curls, “And Jack,” she began, “Don’t ever talk to me again,” Merida paused and Jack was sure she was going to leave it at that but, she took in another small breath to continue “Not unless you bring me the truth” And with that Jack was dangling by the tread of hope Merida had left him.
*
I want to dedicate this chapter to G-stacey. Thank you for your epic review, and to answer your question yes, by the end of this Jack and Merida are going to be a couple. My next update will be in two weeks MAX. Hope you all enjoyed this chapter and I can’t wait to see what you think about the sixth.
Sign up to rate and review this story