Categories > Cartoons > Class of the Titans > The Art of Song

Songs From The Deep

by -lIzZy- 4 reviews

A visit to Poseidon's Kingdom turns up some interesting surprises

Category: Class of the Titans - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Action/Adventure, Humor, Romance - Published: 2006-08-23 - Updated: 2006-08-23 - 1465 words

0Unrated
Alone = Jay
( ) = the voice of the instruments
together
________________________________________________________________________

"I don't think I'll ever get sick and tired of seeing this place," muttered Atlanta looking around.
She was right. With all the colours of coral about fused together to make the grand walls of the place, shimmering so brightly and pure as to make Diamond a cheap plastic in comparison, with all the urchins and sea dwellers making the most for decorations with their intricate designs and slow movements...so delicate and yet so strong.
"Well you're welcome to it any time young hero," said Poseidon rounding on them. "Hermes has told me of your mission, and I'm quite...discombobulated to find no competitor in your midst. Care to explain over sushi?"
"Well Jay here-" started Archie, getting knocked in the ribs.
"What about Jay?" he asked whirling on him.
"Jay thought it would be a good idea to check on Hera, as she is more important," was his reply.
"I see," he said eyeing them suspiciously, "even though it was my sister's orders for you to come up with someone for tonight, and knowing the Gods are all forced into a temporary cease war, you're willing to risk the lives of everyone under the sky and sea to check up on someone who is temporarily in no danger whatsoever? Well you're either very brave or foolish!"
"Aren't there any competitors here?" asked Theresa.
"A room full of them my dear," he said gesturing to the sky-high doors of gold to their left. "You can never go wrong with extra talent. Especially in this competition," he added.
"Human?" asked Archie.
"Alas no..." he said sighing, "which is why we all know we're doomed to fail. The gift was bestowed upon a mortal, not gods or demi-gods."
"What about the Sirens?" asked Neil, "they have good voices don't they?"
"Plucked to the last feather in the last competition," muttered Jay. "After losing terribly."
"Ew!" was his reply. "Is that what happens to everybody?"
"No," said Poseidon, "some time they bereft you of your sight by means of ripping out your eyes!"
"No more," said Archie, still slightly pale.
"Where's the Coral Instrumentalist Band?" asked Odie changing the subject, and trying to hold onto his lunch.
"Right then, I guessed you might want to see that. This way then," he said issuing them towards another door. "This passage leads straight to Mariana's Trench."
"Great, as if being only fifteen thousand feet wasn't good enough, we've got to add another fifteen thousand," muttered Archie following everyone into the passage.

*

"If I never got through another one of those tunnels again, it'll be to soon!" muttered Archie holding his stomach.
"Hey now," said Poseidon, "it wasn't that bad now was it," he said slapping him on the back, throwing him into the wall...and through it.
"Arch!" called Atlanta, "Archie? Are you...okay?" she asked stepping into the room wide-eyed and awestruck.
"Would you look at this place?" said Theresa every bit as starry-eyed as Atlanta. "It could be the eighth world wonder?"
"It's...not bad," allowed Neil looking about in abject appreciation.
"Are those Piccolos entwined in silver?" asked Jay walking over to the instruments that lay in the corner. "A piano made of Ivory and gold? A guitar out of Cherry wood laden with ebony? Saxophone quartet with Immediate Coral fastenings? And-"
"You certainly know your instruments," interrupted Poseidon walking over to him. "I wonder...do you play?"
Looking at each face one by one, Jay's face seemed to drop from eager schoolboy to deadpan and desolate all in one spade. "Not anymore," he muttered in the barest of whispered.
"How about that sushi?" asked Theresa changing the subject.
"Right, right," said Poseidon looking over to Jay as he walked over to the tunnels. Watching as they all made their ways into it, he walked over to Jay. "All my palace is open to you and your friends for the help you've given me. I'll leave you to your thoughts." Walking out of the room and into the tunnel he smiled, looking back at Jay, who'd seated himself at the Grand Piano. Knowing exactly what the others were hiding.

*

"Do I have the right to even look at theses?" asked Jay in his rhetorical conversation, splaying his fingers gently down the long neglected keys of the piano, making sure not to press hard enough for sound. "What a waste of talent," he said mulling over what his cousin had told him. "Well maybe just one song?
"Nope!" he added just as quickly, "remember Andy!"
"Andy...how could I ever forget Andy," he muttered, slamming a fist into the beautiful crafted keys of the piano. "When have I ever forgotten Andy!"
Letting his fingers press deeply and skillfully over the black and white terrain before them, issuing scales, triads and formula patterns with simply a roll of the wrist, and making the hall erupt in an explosion of sound and rhythm, he hadn't even noticed the audience of fellow musicians pushing into the hall, or what his distraction was leading him to do...and that was sing!

************************

I can think of younger days, when living for my life, was everything a man could want to do.
I could never see tomorrow, but I was never told, about the sorrow
and

How can you mend a broken heart? How can you stop rain from falling down? How can you stop the sun from shinning? What makes the world go round.

How can you mend this broken man? How can a loser every win? Please help me mend my broken heart and let me live again.

I can still feel the breeze, that rustles through the tress, and whispers memories of times gone by.
We could never see tomorrow, and no one said a word, about the sorrow.

How can you mend a broken heart? How can you stop the rain from falling down?
(How can you stop) how can you stop (the sun from shining)
what makes the world go round
(How can you mend this broken man)
How can a loser ever win?
(Please help me men my broken heart)
and let me live again
How (How can you mend this broken man) can you mend a broken man?
(How can a loser ever win) how can you win?
Please Please help me mend my broken heart
And let me live again
And let me live again

************************

And somewhere in the middle of the ocean, all the suffering the world had laid on it, suddenly vanished to make way for the tide of freedom's voice...and what a beautiful voice it was, rich and pure as the spring season, and every bit as refreshing.


*

"Did you guys here that?" asked Neil suddenly.
"No," said Theresa defensively.
"Well I did, and it's about time," muttered Archie, "wallowing in self pity's Neil's job remember."
"This sushi's awesome Poseidon," said Herry through a mouthful of Turbot.
"Delectable!"
"Odie please refrain from using four syllable words in front of Herry, it confuses
him," said Neil, ducking just in time to avoid a fist headed for him.
"He sounded so sad," said Atlanta. "Did you hear that whole broken man thing he had going?"
"Yeah," said Theresa on a sigh, "it was almost unbearable, but beautiful...tragic."
"I thought you couldn't hear it?" asked Archie with a snicker.
"Shut up Archie, she's right. It was amazing, even more so than before."
"I know," said Herry, "it was a compilation of all the sorrows he had to overcome in order to finally say the words he's been feeling for the last five years on the subject of his deceased brother. Utterly astounding."
"..."
"Just because I talk slow doesn't mean-"
"Hey that line's from "Sweet Home Alabama," said Theresa, laughing as she patted Herry on the shoulder.
"Well it's as meant then as it is now!" he said stomping his foot in emphasis, "I'm not a complete basket case like Neil, and..." he added sniffing the air, "I smell roasted Arctic Char!"
"And you wonder why we don't take you seriously all the time," muttered Archie, as Herry bolded his way through over to the newly made dish of...well fish.
Theresa lifted herself off the ground, noticing that everyone was completely involved in watching Herry eat, "time to find Jay," she whispered, unbeknownst to her that her friends were completely aware of what she was doing, even planned it so to speak, and followed her out the room under Poseidon's watchful eye.
"Time to see what that boy can really do with the right 'persuasion,'" he muttered under his breath.


_________________________________________________________________

Again super sorry that it's taking so long, my internet only seems to want to work every few days...Damn internet!

Feedback deeply appreciated! Thanx!
Sign up to rate and review this story