Categories > Anime/Manga > Naruto > Ghost of a Rose

Poisonous Roots

by FenikkusuAi 0 reviews

Misaki has doubts; Sasuke reveals more about the Hidden Leaf Village.

Category: Naruto - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Angst,Drama - Characters: Orochimaru,Sasuke - Published: 2016-08-12 - 1080 words

-1Boring
Thoughts of Ibiki entered Misaki's mind as she sat on the grass. The day was ending and she could hear crickets call to each other in the distance. She felt as washed out as the faded blue sky.

Was he short or tall? Kind or stern? Was he good with kids? He would almost have to be if he was a teacher. Misaki didn't even know how old he was. Did he remember her? Had they ever met?

However, Kabuto was pleased, more pleased than she was, when together they uncovered more jutsus. News of her upcoming mission, her first mission, was beginning to spread. The others now paid a fraction of attention to her. Even Sasuke had a passing interest.

Watching. Watching to see me fail.

In truth, Misaki was lonely wanted to socialize with more people. Her own people.

As moths flew about her hair, Misaki wringed her hands. She was getting more nervous. She probably just needed a cup of chamomile tea. That always steadied her nerves.

Fall was quickly approaching. The leaves whispering in the wind were all but an omen...

"What are you doing out here?" a familiar voice asked.

Misaki froze like a rabbit. Kabuto.

Misaki glanced up. "I'm thinking," she nearly whispered.

"About?"

"The Village Hidden In the Leaves."

"Don't worry about it Misaki-chan," Kabuto soothed. "You have me as a teacher after all. What could go wrong?

She couldn't miss the playful lilt of his words

Misaki couldn't help but wonder if he liked her. He certainly gave her signals. Yet, Misaki didn't know if she should return them.

She would be starting all over again. The prospect was both thrilling and depressing.

"What does Orochimaru-sama want to know about the Village Hidden In the Leaves? Shouldn't someone more experienced handle this mission?"

"Don't question Orochimaru-sama." Kabuto tugged playfully at her sleeve.

His behavior was light, but he was serious.

"How will I get there?"

"I'll take you there. It's already planned. you won't have to worry about a thing."

It was little wonder that he had volunteered. Kabuto currently had the most mobility. The pale man hardly showed his face and Sasuke-kun never left. The journey would probably be on foot of course.

Misaki was sure that she would miss this place. It was almost as if they were dumping her off. At least could properly defend herself now.

"Sasuke-kun is from the village, you know."

Misaki perked up. "Really?"

Misaki turned to look for Kabuto, but he had disappeared as a silent mist would. She hadn't even heard him.

Above, the very first stars were appearing. They were faint, but they were there.

So. She would have to remember that.

Misaki didn't see Sasuke-kun for a while after that. But, as soon as he was in sight, she pounced on him. He tensed as she approached him; he could already sense her chakra. Slowly, she moved across the wooden boards towards him.

"Sasuke-kun?"

He halted.

"Are you from the Village Hidden In the Leaves?"

Sasuke looked annoyed to be questioned.

"I left, and I can never go back. What's it to you?"

Misaki carefully backed away ever so slightly. Sasuke's anger was hot as flames.

"is it a nice place?"

A wistful look seized hold of his gaze. "No."

Was he lying? He seemed to be.

"What then about the academy?"

What about it?" Sasuke snapped. "It's just where they train ninjas to become Jounins."

Misaki paused.

"What's a Jounin?"

"You don't know much about your own people, do you?" Sasuke scoffed.

Misaki was shrinking before his very eyes. She was at once ashamed.

Misaki ducked her head. "More of my memories need to return first." It sounded like she was making excuses.

Sasuke rolled his eyes. "Genins are beginners, Chunins are the intermediate class of nin, and Jounins are the graduates. Nin train at very young at ages. At seven or younger."

Would she be considered a Genin? A Chunin? Did it matter? She had never attended school Kabuto may have well been her teacher now.

"By the way, Orochimaru came from the Village Hidden In the Leaves too."

Well, there would be no no hope of asking him. So, the pale man didn't stay either. Why was she going then? Was it because they couldn't?

Doubt was beginning to encircle her as the first blossoms of spring would encountering winter air instead of warm breezes.

Soon, she would be around people. Misaki was of course forbidden to mention this place. It could put her in danger.

Realistically, she knew that was to be put in a bad situation, but instead of worrying, Misaki focused on the positives. That's how much of a fool she really was.

She had so many hopes; Misaki wondered if the world would be cruel and take them away.

She wondered if she was destined to be a dried flower petal cast to the wind.





---





To the Hidden Leaf Village, Misaki would be a flower with a serpent burrowed at its roots. Orochimaru sincerely hoped that the Leaf would not see through her deception too soon. He wanted to see how useful Misaki truly was.

If they did, she would be chewed up and spit out, and her own blood would do it. Orochimaru well knew how Ibiki could be. Misaki wouldn't stand a chance.

Or, perhaps he was pinning too many ambitions on her fragile psyche. Maybe she would fracture. He had always tried to make her comfortable in her own skin, but somehow he was never able to manage it. Perhaps the girl was too damaged.

Orochimaru sometimes wondered if a jutsu had been placed on her. Misaki's demeanor, thinking patters, and preoccupation with nature all fit under the diagnosis of trauma? Not even Orochimaru had all the answers, but time would tell.

Orochimaru had been interested in her mostly due to her parentage, but she would have been an able tool in any event. If life had been kinder, Misaki's fate would be different. Though she would want to know her familial relation, Orochimaru already assumed that Ibiki wouldn't return the sentiment. However, the helpful citizens of the Leaf would want to help the uncle and niece get together. The villagers could never mind their own business.

Being a nin was indeed about survival of the fittest. Soon, Misaki would understand.

Orochimaru smirked under the light of the full moon that lit his office.

It really was a beautiful night.
Sign up to rate and review this story