Categories > Anime/Manga > Naruto > Ghost of a Rose

Alert Deer

by FenikkusuAi 0 reviews

Misaki meets Shikamaru; Kabuto encounters someone in an orange mask.

Category: Naruto - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Angst,Drama - Characters: Obito - Published: 2016-09-04 - 1745 words

0Unrated
Misaki looked at herself in the mirror and was taken aback. Eyes that were usually bright and alert were now dull and weary. It looked like she carried the weight of the world and unbeknownst to others, she did.

I'm a traitor to the hidden leaf.

She practiced the phrase in her mind until the confession was on her lips. She wondered who would discover her first.

"I'm a traitor to the hidden Leaf," she stated matter-of-factly.

There.

As expected, there was no reply from the empty room. No one had heard. No one condemn her, yet no one could help her either.

As she spoke to her reflection, and the girl in the mirror remained passive. Even Misaki wondered who she really was. Through it all, her outward emotions remained as flat as pounded rice even as her body struggled to contain them. Whatever had happened to her?

For all the feeling in her voice, it was as if she just told herself to remember to take her vitamins. That hadn't been a problem in the Otogakure. Kabuto simply reminded her to take them. Or, she knew that he would shove them in her mouth. She was told that Orochimaru wanted healthy human subjects.

The choker that she wore around her throat now subtly constricted her breathing. It had been a gift from a white-eyed girl named Hinata. She claimed to be a literal princess, the head of from the Hyuga clan.

"This would look perfect on you Misaki!" she insisted. "I don't want it. I have too many already."

Misaki tilted her head and smiled. She knew saw no reason to refuse it.

Misaki liked Hinata. She was kind.

The choker was black leather and a ruddy wax camellia dangled from it . A camellia blossom symbolized waiting. Misaki wondered what she was still waiting for.

Obviously, a spy yet to be found.

Misaki fought the urge to brush her hair. Then again, what did Kabuto care what she looked? As long as she made it for their rendezvous.

Praying for no unexpected visitors, Misaki crept from the apartment.

Vulnerable and in the wilderness, Misaki didn't have to wait in her position in the trees long for a familiar figure to stalk towards her. Misaki steeled herself and prepared for the worst. She had to be when dealing with Kabuto.

"I hope you have been well, Misaki-chan," Kabuto intoned

Misaki nearly shuddered as his unblinking gaze settled on her neck.

"Nice necklace."

"It was a gift." Misaki stroked it with her fingers.

"I don't care', came the brusque reply. "Where's my information, hmm? Have you learned one thing worth mentioning?"

Misaki was silent. Her mind was blank and featureless even after she had been challenged.

"Anything else besides your necklace?" Kabuto mocked.

Misaki still couldn't speak. She was lost in thought. Kabuto took her silence as a premature answer.

Kabuto moved in for the kill. "Oh, Misaki, I'm disappointed in you. Then again, you're used to disappointment. Except Orochimaru-sama isn't."

"The Akatsuki!" she said suddenly. "A group called the Akatsuki was spotted near the village."

Kabuto's forthcoming laughter intermingled with the sudden cry of an owl.

"Orochimaru-sama himself was in the Akatsuki, girl. We're not interested in that third-rate group. That group means nothing to us. Nothing to Orochimaru-sama. Good try though. at least you're learning the ropes about gathering information."

It wasn't quite a compliment but more of an observation. Which was fine. Misaki wasn't interested in receiving compliments.

Yet, Misaki knew in her heart that she couldn't betray Ibiki. Not the only member of her birth family that she knew. Or the Leaf. The Leaf didn't deserve it. However, she was dead if she betrayed the pale man and his medic.

In truth, Misaki wanted to run into the trees and disappear. Still, she was aware that she couldn't. She didn't she want to die. Not now. Not here. Not at Kabuto's hands.

"You seem reluctant to be here, Misaki," Kabuto observed. I can see that you're fitting in quite well; that's not a problem. But you're forgetting something."

"What?" Her voice was as soft and meaningless as a dandelion puff.

She was taken off her feet when her back slammed against the tree trunk. Misaki gasped as she felt her bones rattle much to Kabuto's pleasure.

"You work for the Sound, got it!" Kabuto roared. "So, don't go native on us. Orochimaru-sama is watching, you know."

Misaki wanted to bawl. She trembled as she expected a blow that never came. But...there was nothing.

Then, Kabuto caught hold of himself and breathed deep.

"Now, don't waste my time or Orochimaru-sama's next time. We'll give you until next Saturday. An extra day to get it straight. Do you understand?"

Misaki nodded weakly.

In truth, Misaki hadn't been looking for information She was instead experiencing being a Leaf kunoichi.

Breathing heavily, she waited until he disappeared.

When Misaki emerged from the forest, she discovered that she wasn't alone. A lone figure haunted the outskirts of the village. He was a tanned boy with a spike ponytail and narrow serious eyes and studs glinted in his ears stood at the edge of the village in a defensive stance. Misaki realized that she could be in trouble.

"Who was shouting?"

When he noticed her, he looked at her and did not move or react. She wondered if she had become a ghost.

"Did you hear anything?" he addressed her suddenly.

Misaki didn't know what to say.

The boy's eyes panned over her suspiciously. "I've never seen you before around here. Who are you?"

Misak realized that she didn't even have a headband here. In the Otogakure, Misaki had a Sound headband, but there was no use for it here.

"I'm Morino Misaki," she introduced herself.

The newcomer's reaction was mild. "Oh, that girl."

Misaki wondered just how many people knew about her.

"And...who are you?"

She waited in suspense and wondered if he would tell her.

"Nara Shikamaru of the Nara clan."

Another clan. Misaki knew of the Aburame, the Akimichi, the Hyuga, and now the Nara clan. So many to learn, yet she knew next to nothing of her own.

A warm lightness spread through her before settling into her chest. He was as intelligent and reserved as Kabuto but nicer. It seemed that Misaki had a type, but she knew that it would do her no good. The intelligent knowledgeable men that she were attracted to often had other loyalties.

"You were found by those trees right Injured, I'm told. Ino informed us."

"You know Ino?"

Shikamaru's gaze flicked over her. "We're in the same squad."

Ino had never mentioned him. However, that should be expected.

"All these unexpected events are a drag," Shikamaru complained. "Life's too complicated now."

Shikamaru's words surprised her. Misaki supposed that she herself was a drag. An outcast. A stranger. She wondered if anyone even remembered her in the Kusagakure.

"So, do you want me to walk you home or something?"

Misaki considered. Shikamaru was protection. She didn't know if she truly needed protection, but she knew that she would stand out more if she refused.

"Yes. All right."

"It's still a little bit of a drag honestly," Shikamaru confessed.

The two walked in silence until the familiar building came into view.

"Here!" she squeaked. "I live here."

"Okay then. What were you doing out there anyway, if I may ask?"

"Oh." Misaki hopped on her foot nervously. "You know, taking a walk to see the fall foliage."

Baka onna. Stupid girl.

You know, the autumn leaves would look even better in the daylight," he advised her as if talking to a five year old.

Misaki searched for another excuse. "I was busy earlier."

Shikamaru nodded. "Right. well, see you around Mihoshi."

Misaki felt herself begin to wilt. What did he care? Apparently, she wasn't very memorable. At least to Shikamaru.

"It's Misaki," she corrected.

"Right. Misaki."

Shikamaru's expression didn't change, and she could tell that his attention was elsewhere. She wondered what he was concentrating so hard on.

It went unspoken that he was suspicious of her. He was one. Soon, there would be others...

She watched him turn and walk away before unlocking the apartment door. Once it was open, Misaki nearly fell in the door before she slammed it shut. That had been too close.

She sat on the floor a very long time to collect herself; her arms snaked around her wobbling knees.

Though she was drooping and her leaves were damaged, she had to keep her roots alive. It was all she could do.





---





Kabuto thought that the meeting with the wench had went rather well. She was still green and undisciplined, so he didn't mind giving frightening some sense into her. Life was serious, and she was in a precarious position. Someone had to plant the seed, and the fact that Kabuto was the one to do it filled him with immense gratification.

Misaki couldn't deny it forever. There were snakes in her garden now.

Then, on his side, Kabuto heard the sound of footsteps.

He frowned. It couldn't be her. She didn't have the nerve.

Kabuto didn't even spare a glance. "Come out and face me or move on!" Effortlessly, he brandished a kunai.

Kabuto turned just as a figure darted out from behind a tree dressed in black robes dotted with sunrise red clouds. The medic noted that it was an Akatsuki member; an Akatsuki member with a distinctive orange mask.

That was...

Kabuto stood there his mouth agape.

"Did Tobi interrupt a tryst?" Tobi pressed a gloved hand to where his mouth would be.

Kabuto was at a loss. "What?"

"You know, you really should be nicer to women. Women are special. They like to be treated soft. You were too mean." Tobi wagged a disapproving finger at him.

"You were spying on me," Kabuto accused the mad Akatsuki member.

"Yup," Tobi giggled. "That's right! Tobi spies on the spies." Tobi jabbed a self-important thumb at himself.

Kabuto waited. He remained on his guard as he didn't know what to expect. With this particular character, one could expect anything.

"But Madara is the best spy."

Tobi's voice was darker and gruffer now. His true voice at last broke the surface of his twisted consciousness.

Kabuto appraised the dangerous man slowly grow unhinged in front of him.

Well. His previous good day was turning into a horrible evening.
Sign up to rate and review this story