Categories > Cartoons > Class of the Titans > Spartan Anger

A Hard Life's Day

by Iyov 1 review

A usual day for the titans and the toils they all endure... yea, right!

Category: Class of the Titans - Rating: R - Genres: Action/Adventure, Angst, Romance - Published: 2006-08-30 - Updated: 2006-08-30 - 1977 words

0Unrated
A Hard Life's Day


A mid-summers day; the sun hung delicately in the sky as clouds lazily swam by, content where they floated in the heavens. A small robin sailed about in the currents of wind, having not a care in the world. Having fed merely an hour ago, the bird was biding its time before returning to the nest. Descending, it is greeted by New Olympia's rooftops, close to its home.

Small and fragile, the lazy robin is suddenly and abruptly thrown about as a sudden gust of wind flings it in the opposite direction. Tumbling, the bird is lost in a sea of grass and leaves; a miniature whirlwind of chaos.

Below, a titan stands in the eye of this storm. Greatly outnumbered the titan strains to keep a distance from his enemies; ten to one to his disadvantage. Beads of sweat run down from his fettered forehead, landing on his brow before continuing the path down the side of his face. 'This is goddamn insane' he thought to himself as he eyed the four giants before him. His vision strains to see that there is one to his far left and three to his right; two are behind him, most likely about to strike.

Without hesitation, the titan spins into action once more. Whip in hand, he quickly snaps it from his side in a large arc, maintaining a safe zone. Bringing the whip directly in front of him, Archie performs something he took great time and patience honing; he flips over his arm as he brings the whip full circle, hitting the two directly behind him by surprise. Roaring in pain, they fall back as Archie lands, kneeling down in exhaustion. Mentally keeping time, the fight has lasted 45 minutes. 'I don't have time for this...'

Lacksing his attention for a moment, the other giants take advantage as they all leap at once, landing on top of the weakened hero. Pinned, Archie can do nothing but give up; they're too heavy for him to even get out on his own.

A voice speaks out from beyond Archie's vision: "Okay Odie, shut it down...I'm disappointed in you Archie"

The giants shimmer briefly and fade out; Odie's virtual training system shuts down and Ares steps out from beyond the pillars marking off the training area. Archie, too exhausted from combat, doesn't even bother to stand up. Lying there motionless, Ares continues to berate his warrior-in-training.

"...have to learn to deal with multiple enemies and the odds staggeringly against you! I can't rest knowing that my safety is resting on someone who can't fight the impossible. This is Chronus you're fighting! A GOD! I remember my last apprentice..."

Archie knows this lecture; lately Ares has pushed him harder than before. He knows he has a point, but it's not like he's the only one on the team; just as he was training, Jay and the others have not been negligent in their pursuits for being better. Regardless of Chronus' minions being as slow and dumb as ever, their journey has lead them to encounter many beings that have put up more than a fight for them. Zoning back in, Archie hears the end of the lecture.

"..so Smarten up!" Ares throws his arms, signaling that this is the point where Archie is supposed to get up and agree with the god of war.

Staggering up, he stands and nods to Ares, saying that he'll try harder. Ares sighs at his apprentice, and leaves the exhausted titan. As soon as the god is out of sight, the weakened titan flops back onto the ground, looking up into the cloudy sky. His body throbs and aches from the intense labor it was put through only moments ago. Closing his eyes, he lets his mind drift away from his aches... his worries... his peace is only short lived.

A shadow comes to hover over his sweaty brow. He doesn't need to open his eyes to know who it is; the beaming smile she's wearing is burning through his eyelids. If it weren't for the fact his face was flush from the exercise, his cheeks would show a slight blush.

"I see the old battleaxe is still trying to run you through gauntlets." The fiery redhead poked her lifeless friend in the forehead, her femininely strong finger slipping from his sweat. Shuddering slightly, but with a smirk, she flicked it back onto his forehead.

"'Lanta, I'm too tired right now for this..." Archie's chest was still pumping hard, his breathing labored.

"Gimme a break, I could have done that as long as you were, and still have energy to stand up." She punched him in the arm; not hard, but enough for him to feel it. She smirked at him, she enjoyed teasing him whenever the chance arouse. Normally this would blow out to an argument, but Archie clearly had little energy for that. Opening his eyes slightly, he could see Atlanta drawing back for another punch. With the last bit of energy he could muster in him, he reached up and grabbed her hand as it plummeted downwards. Taken off guard, Archie used the advantage to flip her over, pinning her underneath him.

"H-hey! Come on!" Atlanta, having recovered from her temporary shock, pushed against his chest, trying to get him off of her. Grabbing her hand, he pinned it to the ground. She let a laugh slip out; she clearly was enjoying the attention and resistance.

Archie, however worn, found that being above the redhead exhilarating; his legs startling hers as he hovered above her, trying to keep his larger frame and weight over her, exercising his advantage as much as he could. Startlingly, he felt her legs wrap around his upper body, and flung him off of her. Landing with a thud, Archie felt the wind knocked out of him. Atlanta stood above him briefly before leaping at him again, the playful wrestling match continued.


Off in the distance, Odie packed up that last few pieces of the holographic equipment. Looking at his two friends play fighting, he shook his head and sighed. 'Childish' he thought to himself as he walked out of the open area and down the hallway, leading out. Stopping briefly at the Foyer to say goodbye to Chiron, he turned and approached the portal; a mystic barrier which glowed a warm sky blue, rippling like water. The portal was a gateway which leads back to the New Olympia High school, which he and the other titans were attending.

Standing at the gate, he pondered its magnificence. Turning back to the foyer, he called out to Chiron; "Hey Chiron, I always meant to ask one of you guys: how does this thing work??"

The centaur clopped up beside the small genius. With an index of all the mythological creatures stored within his head, he had little space or care for anything else. He did, however, understand some of the basic things about it.

"Well... as far as I'm concerned; Hephestus made it so you titans can walk travel freely. It doesn't work for anyone if I recall, you have to be seen as a hero of the gods in order to use it and have it transport you here. If I recall... it can't be seen by anyone who isn't a hero."

Odie nodded and stared at the portal, now fascinated by its many properties. Saying goodbye once more, he walked through the portal; an sensation that has to be experienced in order to understood, and headed home.

Pulling up to the three story building, Odie parked his moped in the back and entered through the back, directly leading into the kitchen area. Inside were Herry and Niel, both busily making separate meals. As usual, Niel took up the most space for whatever sort of dish he deemed worthy; usually a small salad or some sort of dish you can only get in fancy restaurants. Herry, on the other hand, was happily preparing something inside a pot on the stove.

"Hey Herry, what's cookin'?"

"Hey Odie. It's Granny's world famous Beef stew... she was trying to teach it to me last summer. He lifted the lid and smelt the aroma swirling out of it with great satisfaction. Motioning over to Odie to come smell, he lifted the lid higher.

"She fed this to me since I was a little kid- said that its probably what made me so strong... I'll just not tell her about me being Herc's descendant" Herry said, winking at his friend.

Odie, breathed in on the aroma... and nearly gagged on it. Stifling the bile he could feel bubbling up from his stomach. He coughed once to help fight it down.

"J-jeez Herry, it's a little cough ...spicy... that how it's suppose to be?" Odie sputtered out, waving the smell away from him.

"Well... I did add a few more ingredients; Granny never liked things spicy like I do. You want some once its done?"

"no thanks... I had a bite at the school." Odie replied as he backed away from the pot.

"Oh... well I'll save you some for tomorrow then." Odie shuddered slightly as he headed to the edge of the kitchen.

Herry returned to the gourmet meal that he was preparing; adding another clove of garlic and half pound of beef to the mixture. A leaf of lettuce flew across the kitchen and landed squarely in the pot, floating briefly, then drowning; Neil was getting a bit messy with preparation.

"Niel, what exactly are you making over there? I've seen pig styes cleaner than this."

Neil, always dressed for the occasion, turned to his kitchen-mate, wearing a tall chef's hat and apron, bearing "kiss the chef" across the chest.

"I'll have you know I'm making nigiri and Seoul roll sushi. It's the new thing and its really healthy... and don't talk badly about my kitchen etiquette, I don't think you're floors seen the light of day since you moved in!"

"Least it's not covered with magazine clippings of me in my boxers all over the place"

Odie left the two nattering cooks in the kitchen and entered the living room. He could over hear the high pitched scream of excitement and joy as he entered the room. Popcorn littered the floor and air as Theresa and Jay playfully fought on the couch. From the looks of things, Jay had most of it dumped on his head, leading to this pseudo-snowball fight.

A nerve twitched at the back of Odie's head as Theresa screamed again in happiness; he had his fill of witnessing teenage flirting for one day. Sighing, he turned and headed up the stairs towards his solitude. Ever the technological wizard, he entered his room, greeted by the humming of computer towers and monitors. Odie lets out a relieved sigh; after a long day, he's finally alone.

Slouching back into his comfortable computer chair, he quickly loads up one of his favorite internet radio stations and begins his ritual: checking his mail, surfing IRC boards for random entertainment before settling into an online game. The day would end on his terms.

Before he can even open the link to Digitally Imported, his screen flickers as reality decides to turn around and bite him in the ass; Hermes's face is plastered across each one of Odie's monitors.

"Odie, we need everyone over here on the double! Looks like we have some trouble brewing!"

Odie gave a exasperated cry of anguish as he wheeled his chair around, heading for the door. He cursed it all, wishing just once he could just spend a night home for once. Little did he know that this would be one of the few seldom chances he could achieve anything remotely normal for a long while.

The chains in Tartarus rattle in anticipation
Sign up to rate and review this story