Categories > Books > Harry Potter > Death's Avenger, Magic's Avatar

Prologue

by ravens_sword 0 reviews

Harry is still the son of the Phoenix and the prologue is mostly the same, but with some additional material in the lower 1/3 of the chapter. The story is completely different starting in Chapter 1...

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: G - Genres: Crossover,Romance,Sci-fi - Characters: Harry - Warnings: [!] [V] - Published: 2016-09-16 - Updated: 2016-09-16 - 5302 words

0Unrated
Disclaimer: The characters in the Harry Potter are the property of J.K Rowling and Warner Bros. The characters in the various Marvel Comics, movies, and animation universes are owned by Stan Lee and other entertainment companies. It is not my intent to infringe on their rights. I am just borrowing their incredible characters for my own amusement.

A/N #1: I’ve reviewed “Book 1: Rise of Grey-Lord” and decided that I needed that I could do better with this story. I have made changes to parts of the first chapter and scrap my previous story.

A/N # 2: There will come a time when Harry will want to be referred to by his birth name of Henry. Phoenix, Death and eventually everyone outside the Wizarding world will refer to Harry by his birth name of Henry.

Author’s Key:
“Speech”
“Speech in a Foreign Language”
^ Thoughts ^
^“Telepathy”^
‘Spells Casting’
…Flashbacks or Flash-forward…
(Scene Changes)


Death’s Avenger, Magic’s Avatar

Prologue


James and Lily’s Cottage
Godric’s Hollow (somewhere in the West Counties of England)
November

The need to have a child of her own burned deep within the dual persona of the cosmic entity, the Phoenix, and the former human, Jean Grey, from Earth 616. It had been this way since the final merger between the Phoenix and Jean Grey was completed. During her time on Earth 616, the Phoenix was able to feel both good, as well as, the darker emotions felt by mortal man. The strongest of these feelings she had felt were those of love, but the love of a mother for her child was the most intense form of love, which had affected them both. So the desire, to be a mother, was within both of these entities psyches.

For all the problems, the Phoenix had experienced as a human, she still favored the possibilities that humanity presented over other races and so decided that her child would be of the human race. Of course, she didn’t want to lose her offspring because of the short lifespan of humans. She knew her child would need to possess the potential to be very powerful; in order, to overcome the weaknesses of the human’s fragile form and their short lifespans. If her child was to evolve into a cosmic entity, so that they could join her in traveling the infinite multiverse.

The Phoenix was the embodiment of the omniverse’s impulse to create and destroy and she had decided that she wanted to create a child. She searched through the different Earths that were within her sight; until, she found an Earth that was home to alternate versions of her mortal self and her X-Men family. The Phoenix wanted the human mother of her offspring to somewhat resemble her own human form with red hair and green eyes.

Soon, Phoenix discovered such a woman hidden within a unique hidden society of wizards and witches, as well as, other magical beings. This magical society was unlike the world the Earth that her avatars own Earth, which was inhabited by mutants and sorcerers with limited power. The phoenix was able to discover that sometime in the distant past the universe that housed her avatars Earth collided with another universe that was home to Wizards and other magical beings. This Earth now had the combined potential for mutants and other superhuman, as well as, having the unique blend of Wizards Magic and it is here she would find a young couple, who are recently married.

^ They will be the perfect parents for my child. ^ She thought as she gazed upon the loving couple.

She knew that it would be best to possess the young man at just the right moment to add her own essence due to having witnessed the young wizard being hit by a sterilization curse cast at by his schoolyard nemesis and rival for the young lady’s affections. Phoenix waited and observed the couple for a few weeks until the right moment. When the right moment to briefly possess the young wizard, so that she may add her essence into the mix and help create a new life. During her brief possession of the wizard, she made a quick decision to heal the wizard of the damage done by the curse, as a special thank you. In the coming weeks, the young couple would discover that they had conceived a child.


That night after her essence was added with the young couples, Lily and James Potter, who now slept; Phoenix briefly stood watch, unseen, in her avatar form of Jean Grey. She stood in the corner of the couple’s bedroom, smiling to herself as she witnessed the miracle of conception take place and her offspring take root in its human mother’s womb. She was excited by the thought that in nine months time, her child with the couple would be born a perfect blend of herself and the two magical humans.

She made sure to suppress the growing child’s power. It would be disastrous for a human baby to have access to cosmic powers too early in life; he could possibly destroy this world. Phoenix figured that as the child grew the bindings would loosen periodically until he would finally break the suppression bindings. This event would summon her to him; so that she could explain him, who she is and help him train his cosmic powers. The reason that she was waiting until he was a human adult was because she wanted to allow him time to mature an adult.

Phoenix believed that her son wouldn’t have the same problem dealing with human emotions as she did if he were born part human, and not a copy like she had originally been. The psyche of Jean Grey was surprised and delighted to realize that she had been able to keep one emotion. The feeling of love flowed through her as she thought of her son growing within the young woman’s womb. However, this perception was limited to her child alone.

^ Maybe this is how it is supposed to be. ^ She thought as she faded from the room, so that she could return to her cosmic travels.

^ “I will return when you are ready.” ^ The Firebird whispered to her child as ascended into the night sky.

^ “Grow strong, my son, and know that I will always love you.” ^ With this final mental thought as she took off for deep space, after all she is a cosmic entity, which meant she had responsibilities to the multiverse.


(Scene Changes)

James and Lily’s Cottage
Godric’s Hollow
2nd August

Nine months later, a little boy was born to a young married couple. They named him Henry “Harry” James Potter. Young Harry looked uncannily like his father, but he had his mother’s eyes. However, if one were to look deeper, they would see a spark of something far greater than they or anyone could imagine in those beautiful emerald eyes.

The young couple’s happiness was cut short; however, when their former headmaster, Albus Dumbledore, visited their home two days after Harry was born. Their old professor gave them the terrible news that a prophecy had been made about the Dark Lord’s downfall. Most would be delighted to hear that the Dark Wizard was to be defeated. They were excited to hear this news, but not that Voldemort’s downfall might be by their son’s own hand.

When the Potter’s heard that their son could be one of the two infant boys which the prophecy spoke of being the one chosen to defeat Voldemort. They were both naturally very scared for their child. Especially, when Dumbledore informed them that part of the prophecy was overheard by one of the Dark Lord’s followers. Now, Dark Lord was now looking for the two boys’ the prophecy talked of as having the power to vanquish him.

Dumbledore presented them with the plan of hiding away in a small cottage that he knew of in Godric’s Hollow. The plan was to hide the cottage under a Fidelius Charm. James and Lily agreed to the headmaster’s plan. After hearing that the Longbottom’s, who had just had their first child, a boy they named Neville, were to be hidden under a Fidelius charm too. The reason was that Neville was the second child, which Dumbledore believed the prophecy could be referring.

However, Lily wondered what she could find a better protect Harry; rather than relying solely on one form of possible security. The problem was that she would need time to find a better form of magical protection for her son. So with no better option presenting itself, she and James accepted Dumbledore’s plan.


(Scene Changes)

The Potter’s Family Cottage
Godric’s Hollow
31st October

Lily stood in her son’s nursery moments after James had alerted her to the fact that the Fidelius charm was broken. She could hear the sound of spellfire coming from downstairs and knew that it was just a matter of time before the Dark Lord would defeat her beloved, James, battle. Lily knew that she and James would die tonight for she had seen the signs when she cast the runes of the Elder Futhark shortly after Harry’s birth.

Even though, Lily didn’t believe in divinations, such as fortune telling and prophecies. She did believe in Runecasting as a way to seek guidance from the universe. It also helped that she was a prodigy in Ancient Runes, Arithmancy, and Charms, so she had excellent knowledge of the Norse Runes of the Elder Futhark, as well as, the Celtic Ogham runic alphabet.

When she had cast the runes to see if she could glimpse her son’s role in the prophecy, to her utter dismay, she saw briefly the power that he held within him. She saw that yes, he would vanquish Voldemort, not once, but twice. Lily also saw that his destiny was not greater than just to defeat Voldemort, nor did his fate, only lie within the Magical World. Instead, he was to play an integral part in the Non-Magical World, as well as, possibly help shape the future of Earth.

What saddened her most was when the Runes showed that he would suffer trials in his young life. He would also see the betrayal from those whom he had called his friend, cruelty and abuse brought upon him by those who should have protected and cared for him. However, she was very much happy to see that he would not turn evil, only somewhat dark with his intentions staying pure. Lily was also glad that her son would come to know the true love and that he would have the family that he will have always wanted.

That’s why for the last fifteen months since, Harry’s birth and being told about the prophecy. She had been studying in secret about Old Magic for a way to protect her precious son. All of the months of studying Runes, Arithmancy, and Charms were leading up to this moment. Lily had finished using the last of the powdered unicorn horn to draw the final Rune of the Runic Circle around Harry’s crib.

Harry stood in his crib as she spoke to him softly. “Harry, mummy, love’s you.”

“Mummy, loves you,” She cooed as he brought her Wand to his forehead and cast a simpler numbing charm. The next spell used made a small cut on his forehead. She made sure to make the cut into a short version of the Nordic Rune of Algiz. Once this was done she, brought the Wand to the tip of her finger and used the same spell to make a cut on her thumb. She smeared her blood with Harry’s in the hopes that her sacrifice would be enough to call upon the Norse goddess, Frigga, who she was seeking protection for her son. Lady Frigga was the patroness of marriage and motherhood within the Norse pantheon.

However, Lily didn’t want to rely on just, Lady Frigga, to protect Harry. Lily had made some additions to the ritual, so that she could ask protection from the Celtic goddess, Cerridwen, for her son. She believed that it would be for the best to ask for the added protection from Cerridwen because the goddess, in the old religion, was the patroness of wizards and witches. And both she and James had Celtic blood running through their veins, as well as, Norse ancestry.

When she finished adding her blood to her son’s own bleeding cut the Rune on Harry’s forehead, the final connection was made between the Rune Circle and Harry. All that needed to power the protection circle was the willing sacrifice of a mother for her son. There was silence all around her as she felt James’s death when in her soul. She knew that she was next.

The nursery room door exploded open and the menacing figure of the Dark Lord appeared in the doorway. “Step aside, mudblood!” He hissed, “…and I shall spare you.”

Lily defiantly stood in front of her son. “No, not Harry!” She cried, “I won’t let you take my baby.”

“Foolish girl!” He hissed, “Have it your way. Avada Kedavra!”

The jet of bright green sailed through the air where it struck Lily square in the chest. The Runic Circle glowed blue, but Voldemort paid no mind to it, believing whatever protections the young and foolish mother had evoked would not be enough to defeat him. So, he cast the Killing Curse once again.

Only to see a transparent silvery blue shield create a dome that surrounds Harry and his crib. The green curse struck the shield and splintered as its magical energy tore apart and rebounded around the nursery. A sliver of the Killing Curse hit him with enough remaining power that it destroyed his mortal body. And do the damage that he had done by splitting his soul, he was left as a wraith. The wraith Voldemort would spend the next thirteen years possessing and feeding off of other beings life forces in order to survive.

Once struck by the magic of the Death Curse, the shield collapsed, having completed the task of protecting its charge. However, at that moment the occupants heard a beautiful song as a fiery life-size Phoenix filled the room.

The fiery form took the shape of the mortal form of Jean Grey. She glanced around the destroyed room in stoic silence as she used her cosmic power to glimpse the night’s activities. She briefly grieve for the loss of her son’s mortal parents and turned to comfort her son.



…Elsewhere in the Nine Realms…

Heimdall’s Observatory
Bifrost Bridge
Asgard

“Good evening my queen.” Heimdall greeted Frigga, wife of Odin.

“Good evening to you, as well.” Frigga spoke as she came to stand alongside the Asgardian Gatekeeper.

“You have left the feasting halls to come and see if I knew who it was that sought to evoke your name for the act of protecting their child.” Heimdall had been curious as to why a Midgardian Witch would be so desperate that she would evoke such an ancient sacrificial ritual.

“Yes, Heimdall.” She said. “I need to know who would use such a ritual and why.” Frigga questioned of her ever watchful friend.

Heimdall cast his ever watchful eye to Midgard as the scrying pool in the observatory showed what remained of a destroyed cottage.

“The magicks brukere (magic user (in Norse)) of Midgard have not perished as the All-Father had believed,” Heimdall informed the Queen of Asgard. “They have hidden themselves behind powerful magical barriers. The barriers were so strong that not even I had seen them. It wasn’t until the young mother used the ritual to protect her only son from the likes of an evil Wizard that brought my attention to what was hidden.”

Heimdall went into detail about what he had witnessed in the cottage about the death of boy’s parents and about what he had concerning the current state of the Magical on Midgard. None of what he said had sounded very encouraging to the Lady Frigga. “It saddens me to hear the news of the decline of our allies’ descendants. The Wizards of Midgard were once great and powerful allies of Asgard. To learn of their prejudice and narrow-mindedness towards new magical blood…it is such a waste.” She said with a sigh.

“The least I can do is to honor the mother’s last wish by giving the boy my Blessings.” Frigga spoke mournfully.

“There is more to the boy than being a Wizard of Midgard.” Heimdall spoke cryptically, “…but whatever it is I cannot say for it is being hidden from my sight by someone more powerful than I.”

“Will he be a threat, Heimdall?” Frigga questioned with worry for her two sons.

“Take a look for yourself, milady.” Heimdall gestured toward Midgard through the scrying pool.

Frigga took a closer look through the magical waters. What she saw shocked her greatly. “The Phoenix with the child, but why?” Frigga asked out loud.

“The fires of the Phoenix burn within the boy;” Heimdall spoke cryptically again.

“Yes, I see what you mean,” Frigga whispered to herself. “Heimdall, I have need of the Bi- frost.”

Heimdall agreed with his queen’s choice to visit Midgard and so he opened the Bi- frost. While this conversation was happening on Asgard, another powerful being in the Otherworld had detected a similar pull on her powers and decided to investigate.



…Meanwhile back on Earth…



Harry’s Nursery
Potter’s Cottage
Godric’s Hollow

Phoenix picked her crying son, bringing him close to her chest as she softly sang to him. Being held by his other mother seemed to be what Harry needed to quiet down and begin to fall back asleep. She made her way through the debris scattered around the room until she came upon an overturned rocking chair. With a wave of her free hand she righted the rocking chair before carefully sitting down while still holding Harry close to her.

“Such a waste of life…” A cold feminine voice sighed.

Phoenix glanced from her son to observe the new arrival. She noticed a female figure standing in the destroyed entryway of the nursery. The unknown woman wore a dark shroud and a hood that covered her face.

Phoenix addressed the familiar entity with a simple greeting. “Death, I’m surprised to see you here in person tonight. Shouldn’t one of your lackeys have already come for the dead?”

“They have already come and gone…” Death answered. “They informed me that the vile Wizard known as Voldemort was to blame for this young couple’s death, as well as, the lengths that the young mother took; in order, for her child to evade meeting me tonight.”

“I wished to see for myself, what ritual she used, since such ritual’s are not generally known to wand wavers.” Death informed the Phoenix.

“So imagine my surprise, to find you here upon my arrival.” She stated curiously as she neared Phoenix and her son.

“I heard the young ones call as I was passing through this region of the universe and was curious.” Phoenix stated as she thought of a way keep the real reason she was there from Death.

“Curious, how a human child could gain your attention.” Death commented, “Perhaps, the reason you heard him was because he is partly your own child.”

Death turned her attention away from the young toddler and towards her fellow cosmic entity. “Do not play me for a fool, Phoenix.” Death announced, “I can sense your essence within the boy.”

“You are playing a dangerous game,” She coldly stated, “…unleashing a powerful child on this world with the potential to harness cosmic power.”

“What if he becomes corrupted?” Lady Death questioned.

“He won’t!” Phoenix assured her fellow cosmic being.

“The temptation of power is too much for a mortal…” Death began to lecture Phoenix.

“Death has every right to worry, Phoenix.” Announced a warm earthy voice; the two cosmic powers watched as before them materialized a beautiful woman of an earthy quality. She was dressed in robes of varying shades green. Her hair was the color of similar to the rich, dark browns of a fertile earth and her eyes were as blue as a clear summer sky.

“I was wondering if you were going to join us, Gaea.” Death spoke as two more women joined the impromptu meeting.

From the night sky above the trio, a black raven flew into the nursery and transformed into an elderly women. The crone wore robes of the softest silks dyed a rich purple in color. The women’s hair was a mix of gray and deep reds done in a long braid. Her eyes were a deep onyx that twinkled brightly with long-forgotten knowledge.

Next to arrive in a colorful rainbow of color was a tall woman with a kind smile and gray blue eyes. She wore battle robes of teal and gray blue with gold armor adorning her shoulders, upper arms, and breastplate. Her hair was as golden as wheat before the harvest and her eyes were similar blue-gray color that is seen before a summer storm.

Greetings were exchanged between the goddess and the elder goddess and comic entities.

“I believe that we all felt the same shift in power on Midgard and we all have the same concerns.” Frigga announced as the two new arrivals agreed with Death’s early concerns of corruption affecting the infant.

“My son won’t be corrupted like I was! He is part human! He will be able to learn how to control his darker emotions…” Phoenix answered, but her arguments weak, even to her own ears.

“I’m sure that you wish this were true, but even your words sound weak, even to you.” Death speaks Phoenix glares at her in anger of saying her fears before the others.

“Perhaps, with time, he will learn control.” Gaea says, “But until he does, he is a threat to every innocent person on Earth.”

“Then what about some insurance be put into place until he is of age. This way we can be sure that he does not gain too much power too quickly.” The crone suggested.

A puzzled Phoenix gazed at the Crone for a brief moment. “You are suggesting bindings be put on his more volatile powers.”

“Bindings, would allow your son to grow and to learn what it means to be human.” Frigga spoke in a soft and reassuring manner.

“Such assurance would be a good start, but what will happen when they are no more. After all, I fear that the Fates have also taken an interest in your son, Phoenix.” Death commented before informing Phoenix and the other others of what she knew the boy’s future to behold.

Phoenix was dismayed to hear about the trials that her son would face, but like Lily had been she was pleased to hear that Harry would have to overcome the detrimental effects of a self-fulfilling prophecy that will play havoc with his early years on Earth. She was happy to now that he son could and would be a positive force for both the Magical and Non-Magical worlds.

“What needs to be done to achieve the best outcome for my son?” Phoenix asked, wanting to know how to help her son become an honorable man.

“I will agree to help protect and guide your son until the beginning of his eighteenth year; at that time I will offer my continued service as a mystic patron in exchange for his oath upon his thirteenth birthday that he will protect the innocent beings of Earth from those that would seek to destroy this world.” Gaea announced as she gazed upon the young child.

“I, too, will offer the same. Yet, in exchange for my services as a mystic patron, an oath from the boy to be a balancing force amongst magical kind.” The crone offers.

“I will also agree to offer my services, to help protect and watch over him, until his eighteenth year; at that time he can make the decision to continue to receive my help in exchange.” Frigga offers next.

“I find you offers to be very generous and your conditions very reasonable.” Phoenix says after quickly thinking over the terms. “I believe my son will also accept your terms upon his eighteenth birthday. Now what must be done to bind his powers?”

“First, you would need to place bindings on the different levels of power within your child.” Death requested.

Phoenix consented and began to place the first and strongest binding on her son’s cosmic powers, next she bound his Mutant powers until his thirteenth birthday, and finally she placed three bindings to slow the growth of his Magical powers. The bindings on his Magical power levels would stop working on first his eleventh birthday, then his fourteenth, and then the final binding on his Magic would vanish on his eighteenth birthday.

“I know the next part will be hard, but you need to not contact Harry until his eighteenth year.” Lady Death spoke stoically.

“But…” Phoenix began to say.

“I will see to his safety, Phoenix.” Death assured. “I will have a Raven keep an eye on the boy and if he is close to death, the Raven will inform me and I will make sure that he is healed.”

“He is needed to rid this mortal magical world of the likes of the Dark Wizard Voldemort for good. That cannot be accomplished until the bastard’s soul containers are destroyed. I believe that he could also be a powerful force to help defeat Thanos. I fear that the Mad Titan will make a play for the Infinity Stones sometime in the near future.” Death informed her fellow universal beings.

“And if you wish for your son to gain immortality and be able to join you in traveling the universes. He is going to have to prove himself to the One-Above-All.” Death explained, “I am, also, willing to sponsor him as my champion and to make sure he hidden, so that only we, four, will know of his existence. For if they knew of the threat he possesses, they would stop at nothing to see him dead.”

“What about the darker emotions? Won’t he become bitter and angry because of how the mortals will treat him in these trials?” Phoenix asked concern for her son’s well-being.

“Perhaps, the offer of true love will help him keep his darker nature,” Frigga said with conviction. “If we were to help guide him find his soulmates would provide the friendship, loyalty, the love and family that he will desire, but who could also temper his darker emotions and help keep him on the right path.”

“Yes, that could work Frigga.” Death spoke up; “Especially if he were to bond to three women of a non-magical or enhanced mortals. These three women would work together as a triad of soul-marked bound wives. Each would provide Henry with the needed love, companionship, loyalty, friendship, act as his conscious, give advice, and will help provide the family that I’m sure he will one day desire. I will leave the task of finding three uniquely qualified women that will also bear the same soul mark that I shall place upon him to the three of you.” Death announced directing her gaze toward Gaea, Frigga, and the Crone.

Death moved over to stand next to Phoenix. She placed a cold bony fingertip to the side of baby Henry’s chest, along his ribcage beneath his left arm, close to heart. A deep green inked tattoo of ivy vines wove themselves into a triquetra pattern. Along the vines and leaves of the triquetra was space left unmarked by the design. As soon as the magical soul mark appeared it faded into his skin to disappear.

“I have left room for each of you to write the name of the woman chosen to wear the soul mark.” Death spoke as the five watched her put a soul mark on Henry. “The women chosen will be granted a choice upon their death. This choice will be to return to either move onto the next life or to return to their life so that they may truly bind their souls with Henry’s. Only through a soul bound would they be able to remain with Henry if he manages to gain favor and enough power to access immortality.”

“How will he know when he is close to one of his soul marked loves?” Phoenix asked.

“The soul mark will reappear as a tattoo when he meets the first of his great loves. When he meets his loves their names will appear in intricate calligraphy amongst the vines of ivy in the order that he meets them. Likewise, their soul-marks and his name shall make themselves known upon first meeting him.”

“The idea that true love can help accomplish many things, but what about friendships.” The Crone asks.

“I can forsee my son calling many a person friend, but not all of them will be true friends in his early life.” Phoenix spoke sadly. “However, once he leaves the Wizarding will he truly makes friends that he will gladly call brothers & sisters-in-all-but-blood. Perhaps even one or two people within the Wizarding world may exist as these siblings, but not many.”

“Then we are all agreed?” Gaea questioned her fellow deities; each gave their approval.

Phoenix was comforted by the assurances, but it was better than the alternative, which was her son’s destruction before he even had a chance to live. That was the other reason that the four were here tonight. The other cosmic beings and higher beings had learned of the Phoenix having created a child. They knew not where her son was, but they knew he lived and that he was vulnerable. She knew that the various not-so-nice Elder gods and Demon Lords would see his existence as a threat to their realms. It was best to let Death hide her son from their sight until he was old and responsible enough to wield his impressive powers on the extra-dimensional and universal level.


…Elsewhere…

…location unknown…

Destiny was awoken from her sleep by a disturbing vision.

“Irene, what is wrong?” The woman’s longtime friend and lover asked reaching to embrace her from behind.

“I’m sorry to awaken you, Raven, but I – I just had the most awful vision.” Destiny spoke with great sadness.

“What is the vision? Should we change the plans that we made.” Mystique wished to know.

“No. No are plans don’t need to change.” Destiny knew that her friend needs to know about her daughter and grandson. “The vision, it was about Lily and Henry. I’m sorry Raven, I truly am, but I fear they are dead.”

“Tell me what you saw?” Mystique readied herself to find out what had happened to her precious Lily and her grandson, Henry.

…Elsewhere…

Amongst the roots of Yggdrasil…

Unseen by the five powerful women, Harry’s scar was transformed from the rune Algiz, into the lightning bolt shape that would make him famous amongst magical kind. However, the lightning bolt-shaped scar, upon closer inspection would show that it was the Norse Rune Sowilo. This was done by an unseen entity.

“It is done my sisters.” The mysterious childish voice announced to her siblings as the stood watching a large cauldron.
Sign up to rate and review this story