Categories > Books > Harry Potter > Death's Avenger, Magic's Avatar

Chapter 1

by ravens_sword 0 reviews

See Prologue

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: G - Genres: Crossover,Drama,Romance - Characters: Harry - Warnings: [!] - Published: 2016-09-16 - 3035 words

0Unrated
Disclaimer: The characters in the Harry Potter are the property of J.K Rowling and Warner Bros. The characters in the various Marvel Comics, movies, and animation universes are owned by Stan Lee and other entertainment companies. It is not my intent to infringe on their rights. I am just borrowing their incredible characters for my own amusement.

Author’s Notes: I’ve made some major changes to this story starting with this chapter.

1.) I’ve decided to set the story starting from the Forbidden Forest scene during the Battle of Hogwarts. Everything prior to the Battle of Hogwarts in still canon, but afterward is where it changes.
2.) Harry will wish to be known by his birth name of Henry James Evans-Potter instead of Harry James Potter.
3.) I’ve decided that Harry will meet and become friends with Steve Rogers (Go TeamCap) in the past first through time travel before jumping through time again back to his own time.
4.) See previous chapter for changes made in the lower 1/3rd of the chapter.
5.) There are some scenes from Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows in this chapter; specifically, Chapter 35 page 705.

Author’s Warnings: time jumps, violence, soul marks/soul bonds, lemons, Harry/multi/harem (nowhere near as large as other fanfic author’s like megamatt09 or Stargatesg1fan1)

Rating: Mature



Death’s Avenger, Magic’s Avatar

Chapter 1


…Flash-Forward 17 years…

King’s Cross
Limbo

He lay face down, listening to the silence. He was perfectly alone. Nobody was watching. Nobody else was there. He was not perfectly sure that he was there himself.

A long time later, or maybe no time at all, it came to him that he must exist, must be more than disembodied thought, because he was lying, definitely lying, on some surface. Therefore he had a sense of touch, and the thing against which he lay existed too.

Almost as soon as he had reached this conclusion, Harry became conscious that he was naked. Convinced as he was of his total solitude, this did not concern him, but it did intrigue him slightly. He wondered whether, as he could feel, he would be able to see. In opening them, he discovered that he had eyes.

He lay in a bright mist, though it was not like mist he had ever experienced before. His surroundings were not hidden by cloudy vapor; rather the cloudy vapor had yet formed into surroundings. The floor on which he lay seemed to be white, neither warm nor cold, but simply there, a flat, blank something on which to be.

He sat up. His body appeared unscathed. He touched his face. He was not wearing his glasses anymore.

Then a noise reached him through the unformed nothingness that surrounded him: the small soft thumping of something that flopped, flailed, and struggled. It was a pitiful noise, yet also slightly indecent. He had the uncomfortable feeling that he was eavesdropping on something furtive, shameful.

For the first time, he wished he were clothed.

Barely had the wish formed in his head than robes appeared a short distance away. He took them and pulled them on: They were soft, clean, and warm. It was extraordinary how they had appeared, just like that, the moment he had wanted them…

He stood up, looking around. ^ Was he in some great Room of Requirement? ^ The longer he looked, the more there was to see. A great domed glass roof glittered high above him in the sunlight. Perhaps it was a palace. All was hushed and still, except for those odd thumping and whimpering noises coming from somewhere close by in the mist…

Harry turned slowly on the spot, and his surroundings seemed to invent themselves before his eyes: A wide-open space, bright and clean, a hall larger by far than the Great Hall, with that clear, domed glass ceiling. It was quite empty. He was the only person there, except for –

He recoiled. He had spotted the thing that was making the noises. It had the form of a small, naked child, curled on the ground, its skin raw and rough, flayed-looking, and it lay shuddering under a seat where it had been left unwanted, stuffed out of sight, struggling for breath.

He was afraid of it. Small and fragile and wounded through it was; he did not want to approach it. Nevertheless he drew slowly nearer, ready to jump back at any moment. Soon he stood near enough to touch it, yet he could not bring himself to do it. He felt like a coward. He ought to comfort it, but it repulsed him.

“You cannot help.” (pages 705 & 706)

Harry felt a chill go down his spine at hearing the feminine voice. He turned around to face a woman wearing a black dress and cloak. The hood of the cloak was pulled up to conceal her face.

“Who are you?” Harry asked with only a minor stutter.

“I would have thought that was obvious, Henry.” The lady in black announced, “I am Death.”

“So I really am dead?” Harry said more to himself than anyone else.

Death chuckled at his inquiry. “No, Henry you’re not dead just in limbo.”

“I don’t understand.” Harry stated confused.

“It is near impossible to truly kill an immortal such as yourself. However, it is possible to injure an immortal to a point that they need time to heal; so they are brought to a place like limbo where they can recuperate. Time passes differently in limbo what can seem like hours or days will only be but a few seconds or minutes on the mortal plane.”

He need time to come to terms with what he had just been told so he asked another question. “Immortal, me!?” He questioned bewildered by Death’s claim. He was also puzzled by Death’s reference to him as Henry.

“I can see you are confused. If you would hear me out I will endeavor to explain what I can because we do not have much time.” Death assured him, seeing that he was about to protest.

“First off, your birth certificate would reflect your given name Henry James Evans-Potter. Your mother, Lily, preferred to call you Henry, but your father, James, thought Harry was better because it was less formal, less pure-blood and Dumbledore agreed. Your father thought Dumbledore was infallible and could do no wrong much like everyone else who thought of themselves as a light magic user.” Death exclaimed with a clear distaste for the old Wizard.

“The Potter’s were always more gray magic user than purely light or dark. In fact a lot of the so-called light and dark family’s aligned themselves with the gray magics up until Grindelwald and the Second World War. Besides the House Potter there was House Black, House Delacour, House Bones, House Greengrass, House Abbott, and House Davis is just a few examples.”

“Now about the fact of being immortal, you have the Cloak of Invisibility, the Resurrection Stone and although it’s not in your possession at the moment; you do have the allegiance of the Elder Wand. This makes you the only Wizard in history to have sole possession or allegiance of all three of the Deathly Hallows, which in turn makes you my champion or emissary depending on whichever title you want to use. A title which many a Wizard has sought to become, but none were worthy. None were worthy because none posed the power to Master the Hollows and not be corrupted by them.”

“And I have the power…” Harry began to say only for Death to glare at him for interrupting.

“Yes you have the power, but I cannot explain everything until your eighteenth birthdays do to a pact that was made between myself and several others.” Death spoke with exasperation.

Harry was about to interrupt Death again, but Death raised a hand to silence him. “Right now you need only know the basics. I and the others knew that the Fates were in play so there wasn’t much we could do to prevent what happened to you as you grew up. We were however, able to make sure that you survived your early years with some minor interventions, which wasn’t easy. Dumbledore complicated your life in ways that not even the Fates could have predicted, but rest assured that old fool is now paying tenfold for any of the troubles he caused you. The Fates don’t take kindly to foolish mortals messing in affairs that are none of their concern.”

“Unfortunately, the damage caused by Dumbledore’s direct and indirect actions has left you physically incapable of being able to withstand the influx of powers that you will inherit on your eighteenth birthday unless something is done. For this reason, I and the Fates have called in some favors from various entities; specifically dealing with time. You were already, due to an accident with the time turners in your fifth year, supposed to have been sent backward in time. In the past, you would have been stuck for several years and find yourself fighting on the non-magical side of the Second World War where you would have been able to meet the first of three women in which you share a soul-mark with.”

Death saw the questions and uncertainties in Harry’s eyes. “However, we managed to get such a situation delayed for two years, so that you could have the time needed to get the Horcrux attached to your mind destroyed first. The Horcrux is part of the reason that your growth and adolescent development as well as your magical powers have been stunted. Of course, it didn’t help with how the malnourishment and abuse that living with the Dursley’s caused you. It also didn’t help having you live around the Blood Wards that Dumbledore set up because that further taxed your magic, which was needed to keep the Wards working without the love provided by a loving family.”

“Don’t get me started on the fact that you managed to get bitten by a basilisk and then healed by a phoenix tears. Basilisk venom and Phoenix tears are polar opposites of each other that have been fighting within your body for the last several years. Your magic was further taxed to heal any damage done to your body and internal organs by the venom and tears. Dumbledore should have seen to it that the Healers at St. Mungo’s filtered your blood to remove both substances from your blood. He also should have detected the Horcrux attached to your scar. Even if he didn’t know what it was at the time, he would have known by the end of your second year when he examined Riddle’s Diary. The unspeakable within the Department of Mysteries with the help of the Goblin curse breakers would have been able to safely remove the Horcrux.” Death ranted as she paced back in forth in front of Harry. “Now that you have appeared here, I have taken the liberty of removing the venom and tears from your body and the Horcrux was separated from mind when the Killing Curse struck you this last time.”

“Any questions?” Death asked stopping in mid-step to turn and face Harry.

“Yes, you mentioned a soul-mark being shared with three women. I’ve never heard of such a thing. I mean I’ve heard of soulmate, but…” Harry continued only to stop his sentence when Death raised her hand.

“Soul-Marks are a type of Soul Bonds that exist within the magical world and at one time in the non-magical world. However, such bonds are rare by your societies standards some are extremely rare like a soul-mark bonds.” Death explained,

“There are several types of common bonds in the Magical World and to some extent they can exist outside the Magical World. There are varying reasons and levels for both Soul Bonds and other common bonds, but I’ll just explain the soul mark and bonds. Soul Bonds having varying levels and the higher level bonds inherit the previous levels abilities, as well as, maintain their own unique abilities.”

“Soul-Marked – Is where a soul-bound partnership with a connection so deep it takes on a physical form somewhere on the body. Most commonly this manifests in the form of a tattoo with either the first words the bonded will speak to one another or a tattoo of an item or symbol with a unique meaning for the other(s). After the bonded couple establish the full strength of the bond through ‘intimacy’ with each other creates a deep mental connection is established. The pair can share not only their thoughts, but their memories as well. They can also share magic, stamina, strength, endurance, etc. with little to no effort. The lifespan of the shorter lived will be lengthened to match the lifespan of the longer lived of the bonded. In some rare case Magic steps in to provide more than one soul-mark in the event that two people who share soul-marks are separated by the fabrics of time. This bond is protected by magic itself. It cannot be broken, not even in death because of this it is considered a marriage by magical law.

“I’ve never noticed a tattoo on myself before…” Harry was quick to deny.

Death smiled unseen because of the hood hiding her features. “The tattoo with her name will remain hidden until you meet, as will hers stay hidden. The name of the other two women to share your soul-mark will remain hidden until you meet them. At which time their names will write themselves into your tattoo and their tattoos and your name will appear. Do you have any other questions?”

“Yes!” He exclaimed, “I just don’t know where to start.”

“Then perhaps it would be best to keep some of the mystery in your life.” Death spoke mysteriously. “More will be revealed on your true eighteenth birthday. Until then live your life however you want to, but knowing you as I do; you will want to battle bad guys and bullies in order to save as many people as you can.”

“Don’t worry about any lies you tell about yourself, but remember in some circumstances the truth is for the best. Stay hidden as much as you can from the Magical World. It would be best to join the mundane army to help fight a powerful enemy and correct the physical damage for this look to Rebirth.” As Death spoke this last cryptic statement the mist grew in thickness around Harry to the point where he could not see in thing but light and mist. Soon he felt sleepy and the feeling of gently falling briefly entered his mind until he could think of nothing more.


(Scene Changes)

Somewhere over the Atlantic
April 1942

The last few years had been a busy for the 21-year-old, Henry Jameson, formerly, Harry James Potter. Henry awoke to find himself on a cot at a British army post going through basic training in 1938. Over the next few weeks he learned that his name was Henry Evan Jameson and that his life almost perfectly paralleled his life future. He was still an orphan who was raised on a farm in Surrey where he lived with aunt, uncle and a cousin. The family struggled to make ends meet and his aunt and uncle didn’t care much for being stuck with an extra mouth to feed.

When he was seventeen his aunt and uncle kicked him out of the house, telling him to find his own way in the world. He knew that a he would need money for food, clothing and shelter; he also knew that a war was coming soon so he had joined the army. It seemed like the best course of action at the time because he made sure to remember Death-parting words to him.

That had been four almost five years ago now. A lot had happened since then, after basic he had gone to infantry school, earning praise from the tough Sargeant Majors for his natural leadership and fast thinking tactical skills; praise that the Sargeant Major made sure the brass heard about, which ended in quick promotions from Private to Corporal and then to Sargeant. He was with the British Expeditionary Units that were in France in 1939 & 1940. He even managed to win the Victoria Cross for heroic action in saving a Majors life and the lives of 19 other men in his regiment during days preceding withdraw from Dunkirk.

His actions during Operation Dynamo in saving the Majors life, a Major that had connections to some landed nobility and the excellent letters of recommendation that were in his file, saw him receive an appointment the Royal Military Academy for officer training. After graduation and his commission as 2 Lieutenant in the British Army, he volunteered for Paratrooper school and the Special Air Services. It was during this training that he was noticed and then selected to represent Britain’s contribution to a top secret project being carried out by the Strategic Scientific Reserve arm of American Military.

Henry mused as he thought over the abbreviated versions of events that led him to where he currently was sitting on a military cargo plane over the North Atlantic. The pilot soon announced the plane would be landing in New Jersey.


End of Chapter Notes:

I apologize for the short chapter and for glancing over 4 years of Harry’s life in past. I don’t know the specifics beyond some casual research on the WW2 for Britain prior to U.S involvement.

I am also not British so I don’t know a lot about the British military beyond what I’ve been able to research on the web. I have nothing but the utmost respect for anyone who has served in their countries military’s; whether in peacetime or wartime. I have several members of my family who are veterans so I was raised to respect the uniform and the men and women who have served in the armed forces. I also respect the hardships faced by their families.
Sign up to rate and review this story