Categories > Books > Harry Potter > Death's Avenger, Magic's Avatar

Chapter 2

by ravens_sword 0 reviews

I don't write chapter summaries.

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: PG - Genres: Crossover - Characters: Harry - Warnings: [!] - Published: 2016-09-16 - 4204 words

0Unrated
Author’s Notes: I reserve the right to change parts of my story at any time.

1.) I’m sorry that this update took so long to complete. It’s been a very busy summer.
2.) Not all of the Harry Potter pairings are set in stone yet. The only pairings that are going to happen are…Harry Potter/Peggy Carter, Harry Potter/Natasha Romanov, Harry Potter/Maria Hill
3.) Yes, I know that there will be a very large age gap between Harry and Peggy once he returns to his own time from the past. However, I have a solution for that already planned.
4.) I can reassure everyone that I have NO plans to create a massive harem for Harry. I have a hard enough time just writing stories without complicating matters by having Harry seduce every woman in the story.
5.) Yes, I know that JK Rowling has stated that Harry’s grandparents are not Charlus and Dorea Potter, but I also know that a lot of fanfiction writers tend to ignore this little fact. Instead, Fleamont Potter will be the name of Charlus’s father.


Death’s Avenger, Magic’s Avatar

Chapter 2


SSR Base
New Jersey, USA
1942

It was late in the evening when Henry departed from the plane he had been shown to his temporary quarters on base. The next morning, the corporal who had escorted him to the base quarters returned to escort him to a meeting with Colonel Phillips and Dr. Erskine. The drive from the base quarters to the building where the meeting would take place didn’t take long.

Henry was quickly shown to a conference room. He knocked on the conference room door and once he received a reply of “enter,” he opened the door and stepped inside. Inside, Henry noticed that there were more people than just the American Colonel and Dr. Erskine. There were also three men and a woman but only one other, besides himself, was dressed in a uniform in this case an Army officer and the second and third men was wearing an expensive and stylish suit and the woman was wearing a stylish dress suit that was common for the era.

He quickly stepped forward and saluted. “Lt. Henry Jameson reporting as ordered.”

The Colonel looked him over appraising his worth to the program. The Colonel returned the salute. “We’ve been expecting you, Lt. I’m Colonel Chester Phillips, to my right is Dr. Abraham Erskine. The gentlemen sitting to my left are Mr. Arcturus Black, Mr. Edwin Bones, of MI13 and Lt. Colonel Charlus Potter and his wife Dr. Dorea Potter of the Special Operations Executive division of his majesty’s Ministry of Intelligence.”

Henry saluted his superiors, trying to keep his surprise off his own face at hearing the names and somewhat familiar faces. “Sirs, Ma’am.” He greeted after the salute was returned and he shook hands with the other three.

Henry was offered a seat across the table from his grandparents, not that they were area of the connection. Henry only knew who they were from the Christmas spent with Sirius at Grimmauld Place. Sirius had been only too happy to tell him about his grandparents when he asked about his father’s name on the Black family tapestry.

“Do you know why you’re here, Lt.” Colonel Phillips asked from his seat at the head of the table.

“I was told by my superiors that I was selected to take part in a top-secret project that was supposed to make our fighting men the better soldier on the battlefield. I wasn’t told any specifics, however. My superiors just said that everything would be explained in more detail once I arrived.” Henry spoke confidently while trying not to stare at his grandparents. He hoped that they wouldn’t pick up on his nervousness around them or any similarities in features.

“You were chosen to represent Britain’s contribution to Project Rebirth because according to your superiors and their superiors, you represent the very best that a British soldier has to offer.” Lt. Colonel Potter informed his subordinate.

“Mr. Black and Mr. Bones will be observers during the duration of Project Rebirth while my wife has volunteered to oversee any medical concerns that might arise with either yourself, the American candidate for this project, as well as, the doctor for the lady SSR agents.” Lt. Col. Potter explained.

“I assure you that I am highly qualified doctor.” Dorea announced having wrongly mistaken Henry’s worried glances towards Dorea for the possibility of the officer unease at having a woman for a doctor.

Instead, Henry was worried about the possibilities of his grandparents finding out about whom he really was in relation to them and that he had magic, although he was currently without a wand. He found that he hadn’t needed one since coming to the past; not that he had been using a lot of magic. He had however, been practicing the spells he did know. He had a rather easy time now casting magic without the use of a wand. Wanting to assure his grandparents that wasn’t the case, he spoke up, “I apologize, ma’am. I have no doubts as to your qualifications as a doctor. I’m sure that I’ll be in good hands.”

“I accept your apology,” Dorea said curious about the young officer before her. There was something about him that was familiar to her family magic. She glanced towards her husband and next to him was her cousin Arcturus Black III. She wanted to see if she could discern whether either of them felt the familiar magic, but each had their occlumency shields raised and she was unable to read either of them.

“As I was saying, I have been assigned as the liaison officer between the SSR and the British Ministry of Defense. As of this moment you have been reassigned to the SSR. Colonel Phillips and I will act as your commanding for now. Is there anything else that anyone wants to say?” Lt. Colonel Potter questioned, glancing around the table.

“I do have a question to ask of the Lt.” Dr. Erskine spoke up for the first time.

Everyone at the table didn’t seem to mind so the doctor continued directing his gaze to look Henry in the eyes. “Do you enjoy killing Nazis, Lt?”

Henry was caught off guard by the direct question. “No, sir.” He stated, “I don’t enjoy killing anyone. To be frank, sir, the first time I killed someone…” he hesitate. “…I became ill afterward. The image of the men I’ve killed …haunts me in my sleep sir. I wish I didn’t have to kill anyone, but I…Well I don’t like bullies sir. I’ve been bullied when I was a kid.”

“At the same time I’ve been told by friends at school said that ‘I had a saving people thing.’ I guess you could say that I don’t like bullies because I’ve been bullied by my fam…by people. I just want to protect people from the bad guys.” Henry finished avoiding eye contact with anyone, but Dr. Erskine. He didn’t want fighting the memories afraid that his grandparents or the other two Wizards picking up on his memories; in case, they learned that he was from the future.

“Does his answer meet your satisfaction, Dr. Erskine?” Colonel Phillips asked in his brisk manner.

“Yes, Colonel, I believe it does.” Dr. Erskine answered satisfied that Henry was indeed a good man and would be the right choice for the project.

“Good, then I believe we’re done here.” Colonel Phillips said calling the meeting to a close. “I believe that Dr. Erskine and Dr. Potter would like to conduct a quick physical, Lt. Jameson. Once there done I would like you to accompany me and Dr. Erskine to instruct the American men about the project. I’d like your opinion of the soldier who volunteered for this assignment, so you’ll be helping Agent Carter evaluate the soldiers during the next week.”

“Of course, sir.” Henry acknowledged the order.

“Good, then you’re dismissed.” Colonel Phillips said. Henry snapped a salute, which was returned by his superiors. He then followed Dr. Erskine and Dr. Potter to an empty office room that was transformed into that makeshift exam room and was opposite Dr. Erskine’s and Dr. Potter’s office.


(Scene Changes)

SSR Training Field
010:00

Two hours after first meeting Colonel Phillips and Dr. Erskine, he found himself sharing a jeep with the two men and a corporal on the way to the bases training grounds. The corporal brought the jeep to a halt a few yards away from a line of recruits being instructed by a lady agent. The jeep had arrived in time, for them to witness the lady agent, Agent Margaret ‘Peggy’ Carter, whom Colonel Phillips said he would be working with this week drop one of the recruits with a signal punch.

Colonel Phillips hopped out of the jeep barking out, “Agent Carter!” while Henry and Dr. Erskine followed.

“Colonel Phillips,” she said with a salute.

Henry got his first good look at the gorgeous brunette and as cliché as it sounds he felt as if he’d been struck by one of cupid's arrows. His heart quickened at the sight of her and he needed to remind himself to breathe properly. While this occurred he felt a burning, itching sensation erupt mid ribcage, under his left arm, near his left pectoral.

Their eyes met, briefly, before she turned to face the recruits as Colonel Phillips spoke “I can see your breaking in the candidates. That’s good.”

Henry came to stand next to her while Colonel Phillips addressed the soldiers in front of them. He was unaware that his close proximity to Agent Carter was having the same effects on her that she had on him: the rapid heartbeat, the quickened breath and the same burning, itching sensation alongside her rib cage near her left breast her own soul-mark was taking shape. Wanting to appear professional as possible both Henry and Peggy kept their attention on what Colonel Phillips was saying; even through the moved as close to the other as was decently possible for two people who hadn’t been formally introduced to each other..

“General Patton has said that wars are fought with weapons, but they are won by men. We, along with our allies…” Phillips said with a quick nod towards Henry. “…are going to win this war because we have the best men.” His speech tapered off at the end when he glanced at the shortest of the recruits.

Henry took notice of the apparent size difference between a sandy blonde haired guy and the rest of the recruits. There was something about the blonde guy that reminded him of himself when he first found out that he was a Wizard. Something told him to this short scrawny soldier had a destiny to fulfill.

He also notices the glance between the Colonel and Dr. Erskine and the next words spoken by the Colonel. “And because they are going to get better. Much better.”

“The Strategic Scientific Reserve is an Allied effort made up of the best minds in the free world. Our goal is to create the best army in history. But every army starts with just one man, or two men. At the end of this week, we will choose one of you to be that man. He, along with, our British allies volunteer, Lt. Jameson, will be one of the first in a new breed of super-soldier. The other first will be one of you. And together they will personally escort Adolf Hitler to the gates of hell.” Colonel Phillips stated, started walking the line of recruits and throwing a glance at Henry when he mentioned Britain. Henry noticed that several of the American men also glanced his way.


(Scene Changes)

Peggy Carter had just returned to her quarters on base after a busy day with the recruits dealing with the soldiers who volunteered for project rebirth. It seemed like there was always, at least one male, chauvinistic pig that would try to show off for his buddies by being a loud mouth trouble maker who would question her involvement because based on her gender. Gilmore Hodge to be this group designated loud mouth. She had shown him with a swift punch to the face that she was someone that she wasn’t a dame to take lightly.

She went about changing out of her uniform so she could take a shower change into a nice dress. She was due to meet Dorea and Charlus at the Officer’s Club for dinner. Peggy had met the Potter’s during her time with the S.O.E. Together, she and the Potter’s were responsible for rescuing Dr. Erskine from Castle Kaufmann in 1940. She helped convince him to help the allies by creating a new, better version of the super soldier serum. This led to her and the Potter’s to being assigned to act as liaisons for the British Intelligence and the American’s Strategic Scientific Reserve.

In the shower, Peggy mused over the day’s events has she washed herself. More specifically, she thought of the young lieutenant Jameson that Colonel Phillips had introduced her to after dismissing the American recruits.

…Flashback…

“Agent Carter, I’d like to introduce Lieutenant Henry Jameson of the British Army’s Special Air Services.” Colonel Phillips announced. The colonel had turned to face her and the Lt.

“It’s an honor to meet you, Lt.” Peggy spoke up while fighting the blush that threatened to spread from her neck to her face.

“The honors all mine, Agent Carter.” Henry returned her greeting as they shook hands. The new soul marks burned feverishly at the contact of the two making contact for the first time.

The two reluctantly let go of the others hands after an extended time as Colonel Phillip’s coughed uncomfortably getting their attention. “Yes, well…the two of you will be working together for the next week taking notes on how each recruit does during the course of this week’s training.” He and Dr. Erskine had noticed the electric attraction that emitted from the young couple.

…End Flashback…

Peggy started to wash and shave under her left arm when she noticed the soul mark tattoo, panicked by the sudden appearance tattoo. Getting out of the shower, she quickly dried off and rushed to get dressed in the dress she had laid out for tonight. She had chosen a simple flared cocktail dress that was navy color and a pair of strapless heels with her hair done in a simple style that was typical of the 1940’s. Her first thoughts were to visit her friend and confidant Dorea Potter. Perhaps, she would have some idea what was happening, locking the door to her quarters before rushing to the bases married housing.


(Scene Changes)

Peggy reached her friends quarters and began knocking frantically on the door. Dorea answers the door to find an upset Peggy. “I need to talk to you about something…weird.” Peggy explains in a rush. Dorea steps back to let Peggy enter.

“In private,” Peggy asks when she notices Charlus in the small living room.

“Of course,” Charlus said taking his cue. “I’ll be at the Officer’s Club.” He gave Dorea a quick kiss on the cheek before leaving.

“So tell me what is so urgent that it couldn’t wait.” Dorea asked concerned for her friend.

“Well, when I went back to my quarters to shower and change so that I could meet you and Charlus at the Officer’s Club for dinner. I noticed something that wasn’t there this morning.” Peggy knew she was rambling.

“What wasn’t there this morning?” Dorea asked trying to give her friend time to gather her wits.

“A mark,” Peggy answered, “Or rather a tattoo that seems to appeared for no reason.”

“A tattoo?” Dorea asked intrigued. Especially since she had an idea of how and why such a mark appeared, but she had never heard of such happening with a non-magical person or persons before. “Under your left arm, on the ribcage, near your breast? Perhaps having a name somewhere in the design?”

“Yes, exactly!” Peggy exclaimed, “How did you know?”

“I also have one as does Charlus. It’s called a soul mark and they are extremely rare; especially into days age. It’s a way for magical’s to identify who their soulmate is. It’s usually believed to be a gift from the gods or magic that wishes for two souls and in very rare instances more than two souls to be unite as one. In the few texts that document such an occurrence happens when magic, itself, is involved due to an imbalance between the light and dark factions, which threatens the stability of magical society.” Dorea explained to her friend. She took a seat in one of the chairs in the lounge area.

“But I’m not magical, Dorea.” Peggy says as she sits in the chair next to Dorea’s.

“That’s what is confusing me. It’s possible that your soulmate could be a Wizard; although he would have to be a Wizard of immense power for you to bear the soul mark, as well. I do know that this bears further research. I can contact a friend within the Department of Mysteries who should be able to help us.” Dorea stated curiously. “May ask the person’s name that appears within your mark?”

“Henry, which is funny because that’s the name of Lt. Jameson.” Peggy started, suddenly remembering. “Earlier when I met Lt. Jameson I felt this burning itching sensation in the same spot where the mark appeared.” Dorea smiled at hearing what her friend said.

“That’s how it happened with Charlus and I.” Dorea explained with fond remembrance. “The soul mark won’t appear any earlier than after the youngest sixteenth birthday for some reasons that have been considered that I won’t bore you with the details. Charlus and I had already known each other, having attend social functions and school together. So it was surprising when we met up in the Great Hall the morning after my sixteenth birthday. Our eyes met across the tables and gathering of students as the mark made itself with the telltale itching and burning. Needless to say we were both quite surprised. He was a typical brash and impulsive Gryffindor from a light family and I was a typical cunning and resourceful Slytherin who want a way to throw off my family’s darker leanings.”

“But enough about Charlus and I.” Dorea said, “We need to figure out why magic has chosen you and Lt. Jameson.”

“Could Lt. Jameson be a Wizard? And that’s the reason for the soul mark’s appearance?” Peggy questioned.

“It is possible that he attended Hogwarts after Charlus and I graduated. I did sense something familiar about him when we met this morning. It could have been his magic that I was feeling. He could possibly as a muggleborn or muggle raised half-blood that has exceptional control over his magic reserves. I have a friend in the Ministry’s education department. They should be able to discreetly check the Hogwarts admissions records for a Henry Jameson.” Dorea said, “I’ll send a telegram tomorrow. Right now we should probably join Charlus at the Officer’s Club.”

The two got up from their seats and ready themselves to leave. Peggy thought of something as Dorea locked up her quarters. “Dorea, what do I do with Lt. Jameson. I mean were supposed to work together over the next week and possibly for the duration of the war.”

“Peggy, dear, you’ve been given a gift by magic. Take it one day at a time. Try to get to know Lt. Jameson. I’m sure that magic and the gods have brought you together for a reason that we have yet to understand. Enjoy the time you have together.” Dorea said as she took her friend by the arm and lead her towards the Officer’s Club and unbeknownst to them directly to her destiny.


(Scene Changes)

Peggy and Dorea entered the noisy Officer’s Club. This was the place where the Officer’s and their wives or girlfriends could come to socialize, have dinner and relax from the stress of the war. There was a bandstand with a band playing hits from The Glen Miller Band, Benny Goodman, Tom Dorsey, and others. In front of the band was a modest-sized dance floor with a few couples dancing. There were tables situated around the dance floor, as well as, sofas and lounge chairs in various corners of the room. Along one wall was the bar where drinks could be ordered.

Dorea spotted Charlus standing at the bar talking to Lt. Jameson. “You're in luck, Peggy, dear. It seems that Lt. Jameson has decided be sociable this evening.” She announced as she pulled Peggy along behind her towards the bar.

Both gentlemen were dressed in their dress uniforms. The Potter’s trademark messy hair that was slicked back and kept in place by Brylcreem. Not that anyone knew that Henry was related to the Potter’s.

“I’m sorry were late, darling.” Dorea says as she greets Charlus with a kiss.

“It’s alright, Luv.” Charles replies. “It’s give me time to get to swap some army stories with Henry.” He gestured to his new drinking buddy.

“Good evening, Dr. Potter, Agent Carter.” Henry spoke up, smiling at the two ladies. Dorea noticed Henry’s eyes lingering on Peggy.

“Darling, I had a wonderful idea,” Dorea said with a glance to her husband. “Why doesn’t Lt. Jameson join us for dinner and dancing. That way Peggy will have a dance partner for the evening.” Dorea glanced at everyone to get their approval. “That sounds good to me.” Henry answered, not taking his eyes off of Peggy. “That is if you wouldn’t mind being my dance partner, Agent Carter.”

“It’s Peggy and I would love to be your partner, Lt.” Peggy said as he gave her a smile that made her weak in the knees.

“Then I insist that you call me Henry.” He mentioned as Charlus seemed to finally realize that his wife was playing matchmaker.

“Good, then we all leave the formalities at the door tonight.” Charlus said to the approval of his wife.

“Why don’t you ladies find us a table while Henry and I wait on the drinks.” Charlus suggested, which was met agreements and the ladies leaving their drink orders.

The men watched the ladies proceed through the crowd to where the tables were located. Charlus then glanced at his companion and said, “You do know my wife is playing matchmaker, right.”

He noticed the young man blush. “I hadn’t noticed.”

“No, I don’t think you did. You couldn’t keep your eyes off Peggy.” Charlus said with a chuckle. Seeing Henry blush again. “Peggy’s a good kid. Just be careful and don’t break her heart or I’m afraid you’ll have to answer to my wife and believe me she can extremely scary when she wants to be.”

The drinks came and the two officers carried them to the table. Soon the group had ordered dinner and shared stories and polite conversation while they ate. When dinner was over and another slow instrumental song started to play, “Embraceable You,” Henry took the opportunity to ask Peggy to dance.

“I could get used to this,” Henry whispered in her ear as the next slow dance began to play.

“So could I,” she replied. They spent the rest of the evening in each others arms. Both marveled at how well the seemed to fit together and stay in step with the music. Almost like they had been made for each other.


(Scene Changes)

Soon the night was over, the Officer’s Club was to be closing. The four said their goodnights outside the Officer’s Club. Henry promised to see Peggy safely home.

Dorea and Charlus watched briefly as Henry escorted Peggy in the direction of women’s quarters. “They make a beautiful couple.” Charlus commented as he steered Dorea to their own quarters.

“Yes, they do.” Dorea said with a little smile gracing her face.

“I noticed you playing matchmaker tonight,” Charlus mentioned as they walked under the moonlit sky.

“I don’t have to play matchmaker this time, Charlus. Magic has already taken care of everything.” Dorea said with a smirk.

Charlus was puzzled by his wife’s remarks as she laughed softly. Patting his arm gently, she said “soul marks, dear.”

“Really?!” Charlus exclaimed.

“Truly,” Dorea spoke as they reached their quarters. Charlus unlocked the door and they entered as they got ready for bed Dorea explained what had brought Peggy to their quarter earlier in the evening.



Sign up to rate and review this story