Categories > Cartoons > Delilah and Julius > Spies of the Georgia Straight: The Curse of the Giant Squid

Trouble In Paradise

by panda_1418 0 reviews

Delilah rolled her eyes. She paddled until her kayak was level with Julius. "What if something's down there?"

Category: Delilah and Julius - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Action/Adventure, Drama - Published: 2006-09-04 - Updated: 2006-09-04 - 621 words

0Unrated
The next day found Julius alone on the rock beach. He sighed moodily. Everyone was busy: Nosey was down at Whaling Station Beach, scouting out girls; Ursula and Emmet had gone to Ford Cove to rent a speed boat; and Delilah ... Delilah was unpacking. Julius didn't get it. He just threw his pyjamas on his bed and left everything else in the suitcase. What was the point of unpacking if you just had to pack again?

His mind drifted around as the music from his iPod mini filled his ears. He had only been up a few hours and he was bored out of his skull. It was then that a branch caught his eyes. It was about as long as his arm, smooth, and perfectly straight.

"Hello amusement," he said aloud.

Julius picked up the driftwood and began swinging it around, battling imaginary foes. When attacking the air got boring, he began skipping over rocks and tormenting flies that happened to pass by. Finally, he began beating on a boulder.

Whack! Thwack!

Wood splinters flew in all directions as stick hit rock. Julius was half-way through a spin, preparing to break his stick on the rock, when it clattered against something. He looked into the face of Delilah. She too was holding a piece of driftwood, and she was smiling mischievously.

"On guard," she whispered.

Seconds later, Julius was having trouble blocking all of Delilah's blows. He was forced to back up as Delilah's stick became a blur. Julius had never been as good at fencing as Delilah, and he had his hands full preventing her wood from hitting him.

Then Delilah stumbled. Julius took advantage of this, and swung his stick at hers as hard as he could. The blow disarmed Delilah, but also sent Julius stick flying into the sea. Both spies glanced at each other, then fell about laughing.

"You're getting better," Delilah commented.

Julius smirked. "Maybe you're getting worse."

She gave him a look.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

When Ursula, Emmet and Nosey returned from their trips, Nosey stumbled on a pair of sea kayaks. He pointed them out to the others and suggested they try them out. There were no objections, except to who would go first. Finally, Delilah suggested they draw straws. The order was:

Emmet and Nosey first.
Delilah and Ursula second.
And Julius would go with whoever wanted to go for a second kayak.

The two boys went off first. They were out for around 20 minutes and had no problems. Delilah and Ursula set off next. They had only been going for about five minutes, when Julius' head popped out of the water beside Delilah. She flinched, but did not fall out, as was his intention.

"Julius!" she exclaimed. "What are you doing out here? You should be back at shore!"

Julius floated carelessly on his back. "Why? It's so boring back there. Don't tell me you don't enjoy the company?"

Delilah smirked. "That's not the point. You shouldn't be out this far."

A blank look was the answer she received. "You're not telling me you're /afraid/, Delilah Devonshire?"

Julius dived beneath the water and surfaced some distance away. Delilah was getting worried. "Julius, get back here!"

He held a hand to his ear. "What's that, De? I can't hear you!"

Delilah rolled her eyes. She paddled until her kayak was level with Julius. "What if there's something down there?"

It was Julius' turn to roll his eyes. "De, we're in the Georgia Straight, 500 feet from an island none of our enemies have even heard of. Krakens don't exist. What could possibly happen?"

As if in answer, Julius felt something wrap around his ankle. He didn't even have time to yell before he was sucked underwater.
Sign up to rate and review this story