Categories > Cartoons > Delilah and Julius > Spies of the Georgia Straight: The Curse of the Giant Squid

The Kraken Problem

by panda_1418 0 reviews

"What the hell was that?" Ursula spat.

Category: Delilah and Julius - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Action/Adventure, Drama - Warnings: [V] - Published: 2006-09-04 - Updated: 2006-09-04 - 707 words

0Unrated
Delilah stared dumbfoundedly at the spot where Julius had disappeared. There was a trail of bubble shooting up from the depths. An angry shout echoed through the silence.

"What are you waiting for?" Ursula barked, already in the water.

She dove beneath the surface, followed closely by Delilah. Nosey and Emmet saw it all from the beach - even the dark shadow that had appeared beneath Julius. The moment Julius was pulled under, they splashed into the shallows, heedless of all the seaweed.

Delilah was swimming fiercely towards her struggling partner. She unsheathed her diving knife around her ankle and plunged it into the thing - the tentacle - wrapped around Julius' leg. Julius gave a grunt of pain, but it was drowned out by an unearthly scream that ripped through the water as the tentacle shot down to the dark depths.

The three spies paused momentarily. Julius recovered first, only because his lungs were bursting for air. He nudged Delilah and Ursula before shooting upwards. As his head broke the surface, he gulped down air greedily. The girls came up beside him.

"What the hell was that?" Ursula spat.

"A kraken?" Julius joked.

Delilah shot him a look. "Don't be stupid. We can discuss this on land - where it's safe."

The other two needed no second bidding. Ursula and Delilah hopped back into their kayaks and Julius tagged along on the back of his partner's. Nosey and Emmet met them half-way, and bombarded them with questions.

"What happened?"

"What was it?"

"What was that scream?"

"How big was it?"

"Is it gone?"

The inquiries continued until they reached the sandstone beach. When Julius walked out of the water and onto the shore, he felt a sharp stab of pain in his right ankle. He was unable to put any weight on it, and fell. Delilah hurried to his side.

"Jules! Are you OK?"

He groaned as he turned his injured ankle over for inspection. Delilah gasped. There was a deep stab wound on his ankle, where she had attacked the monster. Her knife had gone clean through the tentacle and stabbed her partner.

"Oh my gosh!" she exclaimed. "I stabbed you! Oh, I'm so sorry!"

She grabbed her towel and tied it around the wound. Nosey helped Julius back up the path to the lodges. They all crowded inside Ursula, Emmet and Nosey's cabin, and began to discuss the attack.

"Was that a kraken?" Nosey asked.

Julius raised an eyebrow. "Don't be an idiot. It was probably just a really big squid or some- Ouch!"

Delilah dabbed Julius' ankle with a cotton ball soaked in hydrogen peroxide again, but more gently. "Sorry, but it has to be cleaned. Anyway, I think whatever that was is too big to be a squid - at least, a natural born squid. Something tells me one of our dear friends is out there."

"Who?" Emmet questioned.

Delilah stopped cleaning and muttered, "It wouldn't be Ice, because she likes to freeze things. Can't be the Con Man or DJ Hook, they're in jail ... Doesn't sound like Ms Deeds or Wednesday K ... it must be the good Dr Dismay!"

Julius winced as Delilah went back to cleaning his ankle. "Oh, goody," he sighed, remembering all their past dealings with the doctor. "We're on vacation! Why couldn't he take one, instead of cooking up mutant octopuses?"

"Squid," Nosey corrected.

"Whatever."

-----------------------------------------------------------------

An hour later, Julius hobbled out onto the patio to find Delilah staring at the straight.

"What are you thinking about?" he asked.

She sighed. "You could have been killed today, Julius,"

He shrugged. "I wasn't, so don't worry about it. What we have to worry about is that thing out there, and how we're going to get it."

"Isn't it obvious?" Delilah answered. "We need scuba gear. Al could drop some off in the morning, I bet."

The dinner bell rang, changing the subject. Julius patted his stomach. "Prime rib and Red Snapper tonight. Yum yum!"

As they left the balcony, Delilah gave the straight one last look. She couldn't help but wonder what lurked beneath the peaceful surface.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Hey guys. I put a thingy in Poetry, it's called Broken. Check it out, see what you think. Don't know if I'm any good at poetry.

-panda_1418
Sign up to rate and review this story