Categories > Original > Sci-Fi > Deadlands - A documentation of post-apocalyptic England

Prologue and Entry 1

by InventivePredictions 0 reviews

Cameron Daniels tells us of his mission to document the Deadlands as well as his knowledge so far of London, Manchester and raider gangs.

Category: Sci-Fi - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Sci-fi - Warnings: [V] [?] - Published: 2017-05-27 - Updated: 2017-05-29 - 1048 words

0Unrated
Introduction to the world of post-apocalyptic England:
August 6th, 1945. The World was at war, millions had suffered at the hands of the Nazi’s and their allies. Whilst the Nazi regime had surrendered months prior, the Japanese Empire were still at a bloody war with the United States of America. However, on that day, on that horrible day, humanity finally unleashed the weapon that would eventually bring about their downfall. The United States of America dropped the atomic bombs on the Japanese cities Hiroshima and Nagasaki bringing about the end of World War 2. Europe and America celebrated, the evil Nazi menace had been crushed. They were victorious, however, not 2 years later, humanity entered a stage known back then as the cold war. The Cold War began in 1947, the tension between the USA and USSR was building since the 2nd World War and, after 23 years of military tension and espionage resulted in nuclear war between NATO and the USSR. 3rd of April 1970, the USSR launched nuclear missiles at Europe and USA. The metro couldn’t find any information regarding the final hours of humanity in the military records down at the old MI5 building. Stories passed down through the generations say that the population of London was evacuated too the London Underground, however, there is no evidence to support this, or how the residents of other British cities survived the nuclear apocalypse.

Entry 1: Capital City, Manchester, and Raiders.

My name is Cameron Daniels
I was tasked by the Royals, the finest selection of soldiers in the South of England in service to Duke James Arthur, to document the history as well as current events of the Kingdom of Great Britain. The Metro, a sort of policing force based off the metropolitan police of England 300 years ago, recently launched a strike on the Hoxton Family held MI5 building to dig up old information on the pre-apocalyptic world of England. However, even with the best technicians in both the Metro and the Royals, we weren’t able to find crack into all the secure records available. So, until the Royals are able to unlock all the information from the archive, I have been tasked with documenting any and all information I can find about British culture and society, before, and after the bombs dropped.
Perhaps first I should begin my tale with London, the once great capital of England is now in ruins like every other major settlement that populated the land before the bombs. I was born within Buckingham Fortress, the fortified headquarters of the Royals in the middle of Capital City. Capital City is the most technologically and scientifically advanced settlement in all of the country. We have clean water run through purifiers set up at the River Thames, an automated security gate. Working lights, and even a bus service run by an android by the name of Regi. However, that is nothing compared to Terminal. Rumour has it, in what used to be Manchester Airport, a settlement has been established by the local Metro force. However, what’s interesting is the entire building is fully powered, automated defences as well as routine guard patrols. On top of that, the local engineers of Terminal are currently getting the vehicles up and running again including cars, train services and even planes.
Where was I, oh yes London. More specifically Capital City. The rest of London is a waste land populated by gangs like the Rippers. Whilst there are smaller settlements like the brainiacs over at Oxford or the Hoxton Family controlled House of Kings. The safest place is Capital City. With a huge population of over 2000 people, protected by the Metro Police and the Royals with some help from the mercenary Marines inspired by the Royal Marines of pre-apocalypse England. Merchants from all across England travel to Capital City to sell goods. Technology and entertainment from Terminal in Manchester. Medical supplies from Queens Town in Birmingham (Formerly Queen Elizabeth Hospital and the University of Birmingham). Food and Weaponry from the rather reclusive but friendly York Union based in Rise City and surrounding settlements as well as supplies provided by Capital City itself. Whilst there are other cities across England with pockets of society, very few dare venture beyond the confines of their walls and turrets. There is a bustling nightlife in Capital City with working Cinemas, bars and pubs and restaurants as well as brothels if you fancy that kind of thing. Unfortunately, it Ain’t all fun and games. The Rippers, a gang of violent, drugged up murderers still operate in the underworld of the city. Despite many attempts by the Metro to shut them down. Murders and kidnappings are still common in Capital City.
Gangs are popping up all over the country. The Hoxton Family, The Rippers, The Royal Anarchy, The Devils of Manchester, Mad Hatters and many more pose a threat to the harmless civilian or farmer. Whilst the Hoxton Family are more of a mafia rarely targeting anyone beyond rivalling factions, and the Royal Anarchy and Devils are more opposed to governments than the general populace, that doesn’t stop innocents from being caught in cross-fire. However, The Rippers, cold blooded murderers and rapists target the vulnerable women and children of London whilst the Mad Hatters, originally a Stockport based gang from Manchester who have since expanded across all of North England, murder and kill for sport. I hear that there is a small group of wanderers up in Manchester who have set out to strike the heart of the Mad Hatter’s in the ‘Plaza.’ I would be surprised if they managed to make it beyond the train station at Mercy, once known as Parrswood, place is infested with Mad Hatters constantly at war with the Metro stationed there.
I seem to be going off-track a lot. You must forgive me but as my journey from Capital City only began two days ago, my knowledge is still limited to my home city and the information I have been told about Manchester from one of the traders I have come to befriend. As my journey continues beyond the outskirts of London and towards Bristol, I hope to learn more about the famed Architects of Bath and their constant struggle with the local raider gang, the Centurions.
Sign up to rate and review this story