Categories > Original > Sci-Fi > Deadlands - A documentation of post-apocalyptic England

Entry 2

by InventivePredictions 0 reviews

Cameron Daniels visits the remnants of the city of Bath, where he learns more about the Architects and the constant threat of the Centurions.

Category: Sci-Fi - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Sci-fi - Warnings: [V] - Published: 2017-05-29 - Updated: 2017-05-29 - 850 words

0Unrated
Entry 2: Romans and Architects
Upon Arriving in Bristol I was immediately halted by a man in Roman Armour carrying a bizarre mix of the iconic Roman scutum shield and a Beretta 70 semi-automatic pistol. I quickly disposed of him using my modified STEN submachine gun, taking out all surrounding hostiles. Centurions, wannabe Romans trying to ‘conquer’ Bath and the Architects settlement ‘Elysium.’ Their military tactics, whilst primitive, are effective and have caused hassle for the Elysium Metro and Architects. They operate out of ‘New Rome’ in the old Roman Baths Area, ruling over people captured and forced to be integrated into their society. Whilst they do not kill their captured, they govern them in a strict society where even the smallest of crimes is punishable by death. As I approached New Rome I was greeted by an array of automated defences such as machinegun turrets, and also catapults straight out of a history textbook. I may have Royals training, but I’m no one man army, so I made like hell for Elysium. Upon arriving there I found a heavily fortified skyscraper standing tall in an otherwise obliterated landscape. Supposedly the skyscraper had been constructed from the ground up by the Architects, hence their name.
Entering the building, I met Sgt. Alan Kennedy of the Bath Metro. We went to the 23rd floor of the Elysium where there is a bar called the Skyrise. Before I continue let me just say, the beer they have at Skyrise is the nicest stuff you’ll ever have. It’s called Centurion’s Ruin. Anyway, back to the story. Sgt. Kennedy is a bit of a veteran of the Deadlands. At the age of 57 he’s been everywhere from Terminal to Castle Camp. He started off as a mercenary out from Queens Town. He ventured all the way out to Mercy back when it was a nice little settlement. He was also there when it was attacked by the then growing Mad Hatters gang. Captured, he was taken to The Plaza where he was forced to put on a show before the leader of the Mad Hatters ‘Crazy Jack.’ He was forced to fight other captured civilians to the death and, as the victor, he was set free after being branded with the victor’s mark on his hands. After this ordeal, he fled down south where he eventually came across a group of Metro officers fighting against a group of Centurions. Reminded of his experience with the Mad Hatters, he joined the Metro officers in defeating the Centurions. He was then accepted into the Metro in Bath where he has remained for the past 30 years.
As he finished his story there was a shudder rippling throughout the building. Sirens began to wail and people rushed to saferooms for security. Metro soldiers ran down flights of stairs to fend off a Centurion assault. By the time, I reached the bottom to help fend off the Centurions, the Metro stationed in sniping rooms high-up in the tower with armour piercing rounds had already picked off the majority of the Centurions and now ground forces were slowly killing the remaining raiders. However, it wasn’t a complete victory. The Centurions kidnapped a woman and her two children to be used as slaves. I offered my assistance but was told that I’d have to take on the entire population of New Rome in order to save a small number of slaves. It is not my mission to interfere too much with the way of life here anyway only to document. Some do-gooder wanderer will probably take it upon themselves to rescue these poor civilians anyways. My service is to Capital City and her people, not to the neighbouring settlements, unless ordered.
That reminds me, I don’t think I ever mentioned standard equipment of either the Royals or the Metro. The Metro come equipped in standard 1960’s police gear along with a baton and sometimes pistol. Royals wear the uniform of the Royal Family Guard, equipped with Gas Masks for hazardous missions and on occasion, experimental body armour powered by miniature nuclear reactors. Only about 20 exist and are often used by field commanders to strike fear into the hearts of our enemies. They were donated to us by our cousins over in the USA in case we were attacked by the soviet menace on land before the bombs dropped. You’ll find a lot of secret advances in technology locked away in the Royal vaults in Buckingham Fortress. Some weapons and technology down there are forbidden from use due to the inhumane results it produces, even on raiders…. not like these raider scumbags ever had any humanity.
Now that I have finished with Bath, I plan on venturing into Bristol at last. The city under complete lockdown. Has been since the Metro first ventured there back in 2135 over 200 years ago. What the hell lives there I have no clue, but Bristol was once the home of the English NATO headquarters, there could be some interesting documentations on the days leading up to the 3rd of April 1970.
Sign up to rate and review this story