Categories > Anime/Manga > Inuyasha > ELove

Matchmaker, Matchmaker

by brynn_parker 9 reviews

...

Category: Inuyasha - Rating: R - Genres: Humor, Romance - Characters: Inuyasha, Kagome, Miroku, Sango - Warnings: [?] - Published: 2006-09-15 - Updated: 2006-09-16 - 2609 words

0Unrated
Chapter 4: Matchmaker, Matchmaker

----

Recap: She heard a low moan and then a giggle and 'shut up' before her friend responded. "Yeah, it's Sango...uh, would you mind going and staying with Eri tonight?"

Kagome's eyes widened. "Sango, are you kidding me? It's..." She looked at her watch. "It's nearly two and you want me to get out of the apartment so you can get cozy with your pervert boyfriend?"

"I don't think cozy is the word for it," she replied throatily, and Kagome groaned.

"Well...how about I lock my door and put on some earplugs and you can just take it to your own room?"

Another erotic noise made Kagome wince. "Thanks, we'll be there in ten."

She heard a car start in the background and some shifting clothes before she quickly bid her friend goodbye and hung up.

Strangely, this was just making her think of high school...which made her think of Inuyasha...which made her think of doing the same thing with the hanyou that Sango and Miroku would be doing in ten minutes...

The things she did for her friends.

----

DemonBadass500: Good morning.

KagsH2000: Ha...not exactly.

DemonBadass500: What's wrong?

KagsH2000: My roommate had a friend over last night.

DemonBadass500: That sucks.

KagsH2000: Yeah...and not only that, but it's an old high school fling.

DemonBadass500: Why is that such a bad thing?

KagsH2000: Oh...it's nothing.

KagsH2000: It's just that...I still think about him all the time.

DemonBadass500: That fuck-up you told me about the other day?

KagsH2000: Yeah...you know, sometimes I wish I knew who you were. It's like you understand. I'd date you any day, lol.

DemonBadass500: I doubt that.

KagsH2000: So we can't meet?

DemonBadass500: Maybe one day.

----

Kagome hadn't exactly had a nice awakening.

The sounds of a frying pan and Miroku's annoying singing spread around the apartment like wildfire, piercing through Kagome's ear plugs. It was far from pleasant, and when she pulled out the earplugs she immediately heard Sango trying to shut him up. Then she heard some dishes fall to the floor and Sango squeal.

She hoped they wouldn't be doing anything naughty when she came out of her room.

She'd had another encounter with Miroku that night. Kagome had waited until she thought they'd be done, and then had gotten up and quickly gone to the bathroom.

The discovery had been made that Miroku didn't close the door when he relieved himself.

Going to boarding school and being stuck with her roommates at all times, she had grown to hate having intruders in her home in the morning, and it was no exception now.

Work was terrible as well. School had gotten out just the week before, and now she had to go to several boring meetings every day for the next two weeks, discussing her history curriculum with two other middle school teachers that were older and were sure they were better than her. She didn't even have a good time to get on her computer and chat with her mystery man...

"So Kagome, we think that you're delving into mythology too much," one of the other teachers said, "When you could be having more in-depth discussions about parts of the curriculum."

"Hm?" she said, not really paying attention. She'd been thinking of the mystery man who'd suddenly gained Inuyasha's face again... "Oh, sorry...well, the curriculum covers things that they'll learn again in high school. I don't know we should bore them when they could be doing fun projects and being educated at the same time."

Of course, the things she'd been taught in junior high had really been what had gotten her through high school. She'd been ill quite a few times...and had also had duties at the shrine that she, her mother, her little brother, and her grandfather had lived at. Her grandfather had always made up excuses for her, and she somehow got away with it and graduated with everyone else.

Kikyo had been brought up with their father in America. He'd moved there for work and died when Kikyo and Kagome graduated from junior high, so Kikyo had only spent her high school years living at the shrine. Kagome had always been the goody-goody of the pair of them, and it seemed to her like Kikyo always resented her for it. Her family loved her for the things she did, while Kikyo was always off doing her own thing.

That was the reason that Inuyasha had come into their lives. The hanyou hadn't been brought up in a good family; his mother had died when he was four, shortly after his father, and he'd been raised by his father's first wife, a pure demon that hated him because he represented the fact that she had been abandoned for a woman that she thought was less than herself. Kikyo was attracted to him because Inuyasha was wild and rebellious...and he'd had a crush on Kagome since middle school.

But things hadn't worked out; Kagome had never known that the feelings had lasted, and she was the lucky girlfriend of the most charming and popular guy in school...Koga was everything a girl could've wanted.

She hadn't ever known why she loved Inuyasha and not Koga...she still didn't understand.

"Kagome, if we had a mythology class you would be perfect for the job...but under the circumstances...you need to show us a new curriculum by July, or we'll have to let you go."

Kagome's head jerked up. "Let me go..." She frowned when she realized what they were saying. "...but I love my job! I love my students, you can't fire me!"

"Don't panic!" One of the other teachers warned. "We're just giving you a deadline. Turn in your new curriculum by July and you're all set."

But the damage was done.

----

"Sango..."

A smile crept onto her face at the voice that was waking her up, and she rolled over as she opened her eyes, pulling the sheets up above her chest to see Miroku's crestfallen face. "Oh, my dear...but you were giving me such a lovely view..."

Sango blushed, starting to laugh when he leaned down and kissed her, making her automatically splay her hands across his muscular chest. He leant on one hand, ravishing her mouth before pulling away slowly and opening his eyes to gaze into hers.

"How do you like your eggs?"

She laughed again. "Don't you think it's time to stop with the pickup lines?"

"Well...it didn't hurt when I was trying to get into your pants, did it?"

She shoved him playfully. "Whatever...but I fully expect you to make me breakfast now."

"My pleasure."

He got up slowly, giving Sango a nice view of his backside before pulling on his pants.

She rolled over and squealed into her pillow after he walked out, shutting the door behind him.

Miroku proceeded to make some eggs and bring them back into Sango's room, but they were quickly abandoned after they started kissing on the bed again, ending up with them wrapped up in each other's arms and asleep once again.

----

Kagome was thankful that Miroku had left by the time she got back from work, a scowl on her face. Sango was lounging on the couch in her PJs and eating some cookie dough, the TV blaring out a rerun of Survivor. Her friend turned towards her happily, but the expression quickly disappeared when she saw the disgruntled look on Kagome's face.

"Bad day at work?'

Kagome groaned, flopping down next to her roommate. "You have no idea...they threatened to fire me."

Sango dropped the spoon she held in her hand, gaping. "You? But the kids love you! They can't fire you!"

"That's what I said," Kagome agreed, nodding, "But I have to 'teach the curriculum', and apparently all I'm doing is wasting those kid's time by teaching them about culture and mythology...you know, because those things aren't important at all."

"Aw...they can't fire you. Too many complaints."

"I hope you're right."

Kagome fell silent and they both turned towards the TV as the host announced who was being voted off the island, Sango taking another generous helping of cookie dough and eating it off the spoon. Sango finally cleared her throat and Kagome turned towards her in answer. "So I was think of going out to lunch today..."

"Oof...I've had it with being outside today, Sango...sorry, but I'm really tired and I just don't want to put up with anything else."

"Kagome..." Sango whined, "I'll split my cookie dough with you if you go!"

Kagome rolled her eyes, looking at her friend in confusion. "Why don't we just stay here and watch sappy movies and eat cookie dough all day?"

"There's a nice new place I want to go to. I promise you'll have fun."

"Alright...let me just have a little time to change out of my work clothes though, alright?"

Sango's face immediately brightened, and Kagome had to wonder if there was a method to her madness. "Sounds great! We'll leave in a half hour?"

Kagome quickly nodded before getting up with a sigh and shutting the door to her room.

In a few seconds she had stripped down to her underwear and thrown herself down on her bed, growling into her pillow. She'd always been so positive and optimistic in high school...when had things changed? Her co-workers hated her; she hadn't gone out on a date in months; and she was still hung up over the high school crush! Could things get any worse?

She stood up and slid her closet door open, her eyes running over the different clothes she had and lingering longingly on her PJs. She desperately wanted to change into them and forget about Sango's plans. But maybe an afternoon out with Sango could do her some good...maybe her friend's happiness would rub off on her.

She picked out a dark green tanktop and a denim mini skirt to show off her legs. Maybe Sango's luck would rub off on her as well.

Kagome was about to leave her room and go watch some more TV when her phone rang. She picked it up to see something that she definitely hadn't expected...and didn't want to see.

Kikyo.

Yes, things could get worse.

She painstakingly flipped her phone open, looking up at the ceiling and silently praying that she just had some simple question and would hang up quickly. "Hello?"

"Kagome, it's me."

"What do you want?"

Kikyo sounded as haughty and bitchy as ever, and Kagome groaned as she continued speaking. "Have you seen Inuyasha recently?"

No way. There was no way she was still thinking about him... "No, I haven't." Kagome hoped her voice didn't betray too much of what she was feeling; she knew that if Kikyo figured out that Kagome still liked Inuyasha, it would increase her interest in him. "Why?"

"Just looking for a fuck-buddy, that's all."

If her sister had been there, Kagome would've wrapped her hands around the girl's throat and strangled her to death. "I don't want to know these things, Kikyo."

"Mm...figured. Bye hon'."

And she hung up.

But what the hell did she want with Inuyasha?

----

It was only a half hour before Sango and Kagome were seated at their table in the new restaurant the brunette had been so excited about. The place was nice, sure...but it wasn't anything special. Kagome had no idea why Sango was so excited.

The athlete was currently gushing about Miroku, completely recounting the date last night - minus the little details of after the date - and Kagome tried to keep her interest. It hurt just a little that she didn't have anything to add to the conversation.

Her gaze began to wander...she was facing to the back of the restaurant, so she couldn't see much from where she was sitting, but a cute waiter had given her a few looks and had caught her attention. So she didn't realize what was coming up behind her before Sango's smile widened and she was waving someone over.

Miroku.

Kagome should've known.

"Hello ladies...mind if I pull up a couple chairs?"

Sango grinned, but Kagome was opening her mouth to speak. "Be my guest..."

"Why a couple chairs?" Kagome cut in, frowning.

Sango and Miroku were immediately tripping over the previous words and trying to explain what was going on...even though Kagome no longer needed an explanation.

"Did I say a couple?" - "I don't think he said a couple, Kagome." - "You've got it all wrong." - "We're not up to anything. Hahahaha..."

"You invited Inuyasha, didn't you?"

They both got very quiet and Sango blushed, casting her eyes down to the table. Miroku tried his best to fake nonchalance, failing miserably, and Kagome stood up quickly and grabbed her purse, pushing in her chair. "I'm leaving."

"No, Kagome, wait -"

As if things could get worse...she tripped and fell on her turn, her purse flying out of her arms and landing right at the feet of a certain man while spilling its contents everywhere. Kagome bit her lip and hid her face behind her hair; she could feel the tears pricking at her eyes, and she didn't want anyone to see. The scuffing of chairs on the floor didn't comfort her when Sango bent down beside her, asking if she was OK.

No, she was not OK.

She took her time getting up, and then kept her head down as she took the purse out of his hands, examining the calluses and the unique white fingernails on those hands that she hadn't seen in years. Those hands that she still had nightmares about, running over her skin and mistaking her for someone else.

"Thank you," she said shortly. She didn't want to look at him even though after all these years of trying to forget, he still made her heart do jumping jacks in her chest.

"Kagome...I need to talk to you."

----

Inuyasha gaped when she looked up at him with tears in her eyes, her teeth causing an indention in her pretty bottom lip. "Well I don't want to talk to you."

He tried his best to explain himself, but he couldn't think of anything to say. What right did he have to corner her like this? "I...I'm sorry Kagome. I'm sorry for everything. Please, I need to talk to you."

But it didn't get through to her. She just turned back and spat out a sarcastic thanks to Sango before storming out of the restaurant.

Miroku looked at him with a sheepish expression on his face as Inuyasha's face turned red with anger.

"I told you this was a bad idea!"

----

Author's Note: So sorry for the lack of updates, guys...this really is one of my favorite stories, but I have so little time to write! School started in mid August, if I haven't said anything about that already, and I've been overloaded with homework 24/7. I've also been working on my Naruto fic, Devotion, which is my most popular fic (if you like KakaSaku at all, I do love review, hehehe...), which I've been giving a lot of effort to. So this has just kind of fallen to the side...along with Separation and Reunion, Overcoming Obstacles, and Home. What can I say, I'm a busy person!

About the chapter...I like it. But I feel like I'm not expanding on things enough. It's just OK...urgh, I don't know!

Please please PLEEEEEEEASE review! I'll love you even more!

--Kat
Sign up to rate and review this story