Categories > Books > Harry Potter > Moments in Love

Summer's End Part 1

by Gandalfs_Beard 0 reviews

Harry and Hermione face an uncertain future, and Dapne has a visitor... Suggestive Themes

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Angst,Drama,Romance - Characters: Harry,Hermione - Published: 2018-01-15 - 9694 words

0Unrated
The Prime Minister stirred a spoonful of sugar into his tea and took a sip, eyeing the Minister of Magic shrewdly. There was something about her which reminded him strongly of the previous Prime Minister... who had been a formidable woman indeed.

He was quite pleased with the way things were progressing. His fortunes had turned considerably in his favour since June - quite possibly the lowest point of his career since Black Wednesday as his party and his Cabinet continued to be embroiled in one sleazy scandal after another.

He had offered up his resignation, challenging the other party leaders to put up or shut up. The leader of the faction trying to push him out should have won handily, but with Minister Dolores Umbridge’s assistance, the Prime Minister had not only defeated his opponent, but trounced him thoroughly, and now the PM was in a stronger position than ever.

It didn’t hurt that the recent zombie attacks and the Old Trafford Stadium attack had been handled most productively. The public was rallying, now clamouring for the increased security policies which had previously come under fire for being too restrictive, too “fascist” as the street protesters liked to call them.

He considered some of Minister Umbridge’s proposals - the advantages which he and his party would enjoy could not be denied. Certainly the more traditionalist wing of the party would be pleased, as would the bankers and corporate elite.

Privatisation policies would be able to move forward much more smoothly and quickly with the fortunes of the Opposition party in decline. And political opponents and whistleblowers could be dealt with much more effectively.

And without a doubt, his own personal fortune would benefit greatly.

Dolores took a sip of her own tea, regarding the PM cannily as he mulled over the opportunities presented to him. She had to give him credit - for a muggle he seemed remarkably cunning, though he could use a few lessons in ruthlessness. But the PM had come a long way already. He seemed unconcerned that an unknown number of contagious Inferi remained at large.

Exploiting the loophole in the Stone of Destiny’s magical protections was beginning to pay off handsomely. While the Stone of Destiny prevented wizards from ruling Britain directly, through the institution of the Crown, it did not protect the political process from manipulation by wizards to favour one group of muggles over another.

Seemingly having reached a decision, the Prime Minister smiled. He reached into a cabinet behind his desk and pulled out two crystal snifters and a bottle of brandy.

“Well, Minister Umbridge,” said the PM as he poured them both a stiff drink. “I know it is still early in the day, but it would appear that this is a momentous occasion. I propose a toast to a long and fruitful relationship.”

~o0o~

“I am sorry that I cannot stay and celebrate Voldemort's demise with you and your relatives, but I must return to Hogwarts,” said the headmaster. “But before I depart, I need to inform you of the latest developments.”

Harry and Hermione peered questioningly at Dumbledore’s grave features. The headmaster reached into his robes and retrieved the latest issue of the Daily Prophet, passing it to Harry and Hermione.

“This is an important reminder, that although Tom Riddle is utterly dead, we are not yet out of the woods. The Minister is launching an investigation into the recent events at Hogwarts, and we shall all be under intense scrutiny.”

“An investigation?” Hermione squeaked as she skimmed the top article. Harry shook his head and sighed in resignation. “What on earth is there to ‘investigate?’” asked Hermione furiously.

“She’ll take any bloody opportunity,” Harry groaned. “She’s probably trying to work out a way to make us look bad for killing Voldemort.”

“Indeed...” Dumbledore gazed at his two students, and nodded. “She will no doubt draw this out and focus the investigation on me for the time-being. Your critical roles in turning the battle to our favour, and making it possible to defeat Voldemort once and for all are still unknown to the public.

“Your part in things will no doubt come out eventually, but I believe it ought to remain a secret for as long as possible, lest the minister should seek to use this as a legal excuse to detain you for ‘questioning.’”

Harry looked thoughtful for a moment as he considered the news, then he nodded.

“Yes sir! That makes sense...” Harry began, “I was wondering though - our relatives - they must be going mental after being stuck here for months - looking at the same walls all the time, not being able to go outside. I... I was thinking of sending them somewhere else for a bit. D’you think it would be safe if I sent them out of the country?”

Dumbledore’s brows furrowed and he stroked his beard as he thought silently for a moment. Finally he seemed to reach a conclusion.

“Yes... I do think that would be a wise course of action Harry. Notify me when your families have decided where to go, and I shall facilitate the arrangements for leaving the country. I believe the window of opportunity before the Minister turns her attention back to you is narrow though.

“When the Minister does set her sights back upon you, she will no doubt already be at the point of locking down all avenues of departure and monitoring Floo travel in Britain. So decisions should be made swiftly.”

~o0o~

Tears of happiness streamed down Jean’s cheeks as she embraced Hermione and her son-in-law. She was thrilled that the monster who had caused Harry so much suffering would never again walk the earth, nor be able to hurt another soul.

Everyone who had been waiting patiently for their return since early morning gave Harry and Hermione a hug, including Madam Bones and Mad Eye Moody. To Harry’s shock, even Petunia tearfully pulled him into a tight embrace.

The years fell away and the memories flooded into Petunia’s mind. So long ago... back before college, before Lily had received her Hogwarts letter, before the headmaster’s reply to Petunia’s own letter explaining why she couldn’t go to Hogwarts too, before even that Snape boy...

Petunia was small again, maybe six or seven years old. Petunia wasn’t certain. But she could finally see clearly the one last perfect day before the magic - the day before Petunia’s fear and jealousy had come between them and driven them apart. Petunia remembered her younger sister - her best friend Lily.

“Th...thank goodness you’re alright Harry,” Petunia sobbed. “And... and thank you - thank you so much for ridding the world of Lily’s murderer... I miss her so much!”

“Well, it was really all of us,” Harry gasped for air. “Dumbledore’s the one who did him in at Hogwarts, and if it weren’t for Hermione, it... it just wouldn’t have been possible at all.”

Petunia wept even louder and threw her arms around Hermione, startling the unprepared young witch. For the first time in her life, Hermione was on the receiving end of a hug as bone-crushing as one of her own, or Hagrid’s. After a few moments, Hermione’s Auntie Joanne put her own arms around Petunia, allowing Hermione to escape.

“There, there dear,” said Joanne kindly as she held the sobbing woman in her arms. “Let it all out...”

“I’ll make some tea then,” Abbie Brixton offered, pointing her wand at the kettle.

“And you two must be famished. You haven’t eaten yet today,” Hermione’s mother said to Harry and Hermione as she rooted in the pantry’s magical cold-box. “Why don’t we all have an early Tea? Bangers and mash alright dears?”

“Oh... er, yes please,” Harry replied, suddenly feeling quite hungry. He grinned when he heard Hermione’s tummy give a little growl. Hermione gave Harry a little shove and blushed.

“None for me, thanks, Jean,” said Moody, looking pointedly at Amelia Bones “I’ve got to be gettin’ on with things. Gotta talk to Dumbledore...”

“Oh... er, yes, indeed!” Madam Bones added, “I’ll come with you Alastor. I ought to speak with Albus as well.”

After Mad Eye Moody and Madam Bones left, Hermione and Harry chatted and played videogames in the parlour with Susan and Dudley until Tea was ready.

“I suppose Auntie and I don’t really need to stay any more,” Susan beamed as her thumbs mashed away at the buttons on the videogame controller. “We’ll probably leave tomorrow. Thanks loads for letting us stay here Harry. It’ll be nice to see Mum and Dad again for a bit before school starts though... they’ll be thrilled to see us both.”

“You’re welcome Susan. Any time...” Harry swallowed, reddening, not sure what else to say. He was just happy that Voldemort hadn’t had the opportunity to kill off any more members of the Bones family.

Dudley seemed quiet. He wasn’t shouting at the pixels on the screen in front of him as he usually did when playing his games. Harry wondered what was wrong with his cousin.

“You alright Dudley?”

“Wha... oh, I suppose,” Dudley mumbled.

Harry was just about to press Dudley to open up a bit when Abbie poked her head in the parlour and told the teens that Tea was ready. When the piles of bangers and mash had been demolished Harry knew the moment had arrived. Everyone was still seated, either sipping a drink or leaning back looking full.

Harry swallowed nervously and glanced at his wife before turning back to face the small gathering. Hermione nodded at Harry and squeezed his hand comfortingly. Harry cleared his throat.

“We... er... I’ve been thinking,” began Harry, peering at Hermione’s mother and auntie, and at Petunia, “well... Tom Riddle - Voldemort - he’s gone for good. But the Minister - I expect she’ll still be after... er... me. I don’t really know for certain if she’s more inclined to obsess about chasing after family as Voldemort was or not...”

“But I know it must be maddening for you to still be cooped up here after so many months, and I was thinking you might all like a... er... long holiday of sorts.”

“I... I can afford to send you - all of you - anywhere in the world you want to go. I think you.... er... should be safe out of the country. You can all go somewhere nice if you want. Anywhere - I mean it!”

“But what about you and Hermione?” Jean asked, frowning.

“We’ll be alright Mum!” Hermione replied earnestly. “I promise! We’ll be at school with Professor Dumbledore.”

Hermione’s mum continued to look skeptical, but she knew it would do no good to argue with her daughter. There was much discussion around the table, and finally a decision was reached about where to go. Following the deliberation, Harry and Hermione took to Number Twelve’s library for a bit of quiet by themselves.

“Well that was easier than I thought it would be,” Harry said with a smile as Hermione plonked herself on his lap.

“You were right Harry,” Hermione murmured, “Nobody likes to be stuck in one place for too long without being able to come and go as they please.”

“I was really surprised though,” Harry shook his head in amazement. “I can’t believe that they all wanted to stay together when they go to Canada. I didn’t think Aunt Petunia got on very well with your mum and auntie...”

“I’m as shocked as you are,” Hermione giggled, “I think they’ve all just got used to each other - and nobody wants to be alone again.”

“I’m glad that Abbie Brixton said she’ll stay on with them too,” said Harry, looking relieved. “I feel loads better knowing that they’ll still have a wizard looking after them! D’you think they’ll like Canada? I thought they’d want to go to a tropical island, or somewhere exotic...”

“Well, it’s possible that they’re going to be gone from the UK for a while, so it makes sense for them to want to be somewhere that still feels a bit familiar,” responded Hermione. “Dudley will be able to go to school there until...”

Hermione paused, feeling a lump in her throat. Sensing her sadness, Harry kissed Hermione's forehead.

“I know Hermione,” whispered Harry. “I’ll miss them too. But we’ll get through this and deal with the Minister - they’ll all come home again eventually...”

“Are you sure Harry?” Hermione’s eyes brimmed with tears. “What if Minister Umbridge hangs on to power and Britain just gets worse?”

“Do... do you want to leave as well?” Harry asked sincerely. “We can both quit Hogwarts and go to Canada too if you’d like. I’ll just be happy being with you - wherever you want to go. And we can invite our friends to come with us...”

Hermione shook her bushy head without hesitation.

“No...” Hermione sighed, “We’re needed here Harry - we managed to get rid of Voldemort and we have to help the Order stop the Minister from turning Britain into a nightmare... This is our home. And besides, it’s not fair to ask everyone else to leave their families behind... we need to help them.”

“Good,” returned Harry softly. He cupped Hermione’s chin with his fingers and leaned his head forward to kiss her properly. “I’d go to the ends of the Earth for you Hermione. But I’m really glad that you want to stay and fight, because I do too!”

Later that evening, Harry and Hermione undressed and clambered into bed, pulling the covers over themselves. They didn’t bother with nightclothes, as the sensation of being at home again in their own bed, with their own silk sheets against their bare skin felt nice.

Harry was about to reach for the book on the nightstand when he noticed Hermione’s expression, the expression she always wore when she was thinking deep thoughts about something.

“So what was it like Harry?” Hermione asked as she snuggled into the crook of Harry’s shoulder, an arm across his chest.

“Pardon?”

“Your experience with the potion... What was it like? What happened?”

“Oh... er... It’s a bit hard to explain really...” Harry thought about it for a moment then tried to describe the sensations. “At first it was like... I saw ripples in the air, then the ripples sort of became a huge wave which knocked me over and I was falling - and everything went dark. Then there were all these lights... coloured lights - spinning around me and I felt dizzy.

“But then the colours began to form into shapes - mostly spirals and pinwheels at first - but then they sort of... I dunno...” Harry trailed off, not sure whether to tell Hermione. Maybe she’d think he’d gone mad. But as he looked into her earnest eyes, Harry knew she wouldn’t.

“Then they turned into more intricate patterns - they sort of pulsed, breathed - they seemed alive, like real beings... not just my imagination. They talked to me in a language I didn’t understand - they tried to tell me something...

“And that’s when things got really weird. It... it was like I was everything - everywhere all at once - everywhere in the Universe...

“For a moment I knew everything... Everything that anyone could possibly know... and... and I don’t really know how to describe it... but knowing everything sort of became feeling everything... It felt a bit like when we’re casting Patronuses in the Room of Requirement - magic swirling all around - sort of an overwhelming happiness... love...

“Then somehow - it all turned into a dark forest - but that bit was sort of like a dream... and then... then...” Harry swallowed, feeling a deep ache in his middle, his features anguished, tears trickling. “I was there Hermione... It was real - I know it was! I was in my house - my parents’ house, and I was me - as a baby I mean, but somehow I was me as I am now too, but inside the baby.

“I... I watched Voldemort... I saw him kill my mum. And... and then he tried to kill me - but his curse rebounded somehow - something my mum did before she died stopped it from killing me.

“Then... at the same time I think... I... er... I think... No, I know it wasn’t just accidental magic or his rebounding killing curse, Hermione. A killing curse couldn’t blow up a house like that - even if it was somehow ricocheting.

“It was sort of like when we do our Patronuses - but without a wand... the light just came out of me - the Corporeal Patronus came out of me... but it was somehow even more intense than it is for us now, if that’s possible - because of you - I felt you with me, loving me - and because of my mum loving me too.

“And... and Voldemort sort of burned up like the Inferi - from the inside out - and then exploded - that... that’s what destroyed my parents’ house - Voldemort exploding.

“I was there Hermione - me now, back then. Somehow I was connected through time with my baby self... and... and I killed him - killed Voldemort then... and killed the bit of him inside of me now - I mean earlier today - both at the same time. They’re both connected - both times connected I mean - I know it doesn’t make any sense...”

“Actually, I... I think it does make sense... I think I understand, Harry...” said Hermione, her brow furrowed in deep thought. “If Einstein is right - and nearly everyone thinks he is - then time stops at the speed of light - at least it does for massless particles like photons - and that means all times are connected somehow - all happening at the same time - sort of like a frozen lattice made entirely of light... sort of like a hologram.

“It’s only because we usually experience things as particles with mass - as matter - particles which move slower than the speed of light - that we experience time. In the state your physical brain was in, thanks to the potion - your mind, your soul, must have been set free to travel to any point in time - past or future - and to any point in space too, for that matter. That part of us - our souls - must have no mass - like photons have no mass...”

Harry looked completely confused, and Hermione knew that she’d lost him. “I’ll try to explain it again later Harry. I know you’ll eventually get it...

“Anyway, that must be when you convulsed - when you killed the last bit of Voldemort in you now, it must have released all of the Dark magic trapped in you - sort of like when he exploded in the past.

“The potion experience probably wouldn’t have been so risky for you otherwise - it’s probably relatively safe for most people... The released Dark magic must have exploded in your brain, and the Patronus light forced it out when your scar burst. That black stuff which comes out of horcruxes - that oozed out of your scar right after the light came out of it.”

“Yeah...” Harry nodded. “That bit makes sense...” Then he grinned. “At least I get that bit, Hermione.”

There was something about Hermione’s expression which caught Harry’s attention - the yearning in her big brown eyes.

“You want to try it too, don’t you?” Harry smirked. “That’s why you think it’s probably safe for most people...”

Hermione blushed; Harry always could read her expressions. She nodded, not sure exactly what to say to convince Harry.

Harry chortled. “I suppose you want a chance to know everything too... even if just for a moment.”

“Don’t be silly Harry,” she said, grinning and giving him a playful swat. “I just want to have an experience that we can both share together.”

“Yeah... I know, Hermione,” he murmured with a gentle look in his eyes. “I was just teasing.”

Harry leaned his head forward slightly, and Hermione met his lips with her own. They melted into one another as the kiss deepened. When the kiss was finished they both settled back in position, sighing contentedly.

After a few moments of peaceful bliss, Harry lifted the book from beside the bed with his free hand, and he began to read it aloud to Hermione as her hand gently stroked his chest. Hermione dozed off happily while she listened to the sound of Harry’s voice as he read to her from The Tales of Beedle the Bard.

~o0o~

It was late in the evening and Head Auror Rufus Scrimgeour uncomfortably peered at the few core members of the Order of the Phoenix gathered before him. He knew that some still didn’t trust him. And it didn’t help that he bore ill-tidings.

“It is out of my hands,” Rufus Scrimgeour said with a frown. “I did everything I could to close the investigation. The Minister overruled my recommendation for closure, dismissing my Final Report as ‘incomplete’...” Scrimgeour huffed. “She has directly taken over the investigation and has brought the Department of Mysteries in...”

“You don’t mean...?” gasped Professor McGonagall.

“Yes. Dolores has Unspeakables leading the ‘investigation’ now,” Scrimgeour scowled.

Albus Dumbledore was disturbed, but not at all surprised, and his features remained as inscrutable as Snape’s as he absorbed the information. He glanced at Madam Bones, who seemed equally unsurprised. But Madam Pomfrey looked as appalled as McGonagall.

“It was to be expected of course,” sighed Dumbledore. “You are confirming what I have already gleaned from reading between the lines of the rather misleading report in the Daily Prophet.”

“So whaddya gonna do about this Rufus?” growled Alastor Moody.

“All I can do is keep forging ahead with my own investigation of the Minister,” Scrimgeour sighed. “I have managed to root out a mole in the Archives and Propaganda subdepartment of the Unspeakable Office. But I have nothing actionable yet to counter her with, and it is clear that Dolores has garnered the support of several key Wizengamot committees...”

~o0o~

Hermione was the first to wake, quite early the following morning. Too early really. It wasn't even light out yet, but Hermione felt too restless to go back to sleep.

She smiled to herself, remembering the stories Harry had read to her the night before as she drifted into slumber. For some reason, one story in particular kept replaying in her mind. It had been a story about three brothers, wizards all, who had encountered a personification of Death.

But for the life of her, Hermione couldn’t work out why the fable had caught her attention. Something about the story niggled at the back of her mind, ringing a bell which seemed familiar. Not being able to solve a mystery always unnerved Hermione, and she had been feeling a bit unsettled to begin with.

Hermione knew that she and Harry were at a crossroads in their lives together, a juncture between the past and things to come. Harry had finally got the closure he deserved.

They should be celebrating, moving on with their lives, and enjoying the next few years at Hogwarts with nothing more than normal teenage things to worry about. Well, at least normal enough for a pair of teenage wizards who had married very young and helped defeat a powerful maniac.

But the future was still so uncertain. And for some reason that story with the three brothers kept insinuating itself into Hermione’s thoughts. Hermione tried to put it out of her mind. She closed her eyes and just paid attention to Harry’s gentle breathing next to her, his chest rising and falling, his heart beating under the palm of her hand.

Hermione pressed herself even closer to Harry and gently stroked his messy black hair with the back of her fingers.

Hermione smiled to herself; Harry always looked so peaceful when he was asleep. Unable to help herself she tenderly pressed her lips against his and he stirred. Harry’s eyelids flickered as he awoke to feel Hermione’s amourous affections.

“Morning Hermione! Bit early isn't it?” Harry grinned at her adorable blushing face and reached out a hand to caress her bushy golden head. He returned her kiss humidly.

“Morning Harry,” Hermione murmured, bearing an expression of longing. Moments later, Hermione was atop him, Harry’s hands wrapped around her waist as they kissed again even more vigorously.

Harry gasped with pleasure and Hermione let out a moan as they let loose their passions. After some time had passed a current of bliss swept them both away and they lost themselves.

Hermione fell sweatily back against Harry’s chest, both of them panting. Hermione lay there purring serenely, Harry's fingers tangled in her messy coils of hair. Hermione didn’t want to move. It felt nice just to lie there peacefully in Harry’s arms.

Harry’s head swirled with intoxication as he breathed in Hermione’s aroma. He couldn’t tell where he left off and Hermione began. He didn’t know how long the two of them lay like that, completely absorbed in one another, but after awhile, Harry felt the eddies of ecstasy begin to move him again. Soon, the bed rocked as Harry and Hermione resumed their feverish exploits.

Magic crackled and sparked when the pair of them merged in an explosion of euphoria for a second time and the walls trembled.

Having accomplished completion, the Potters lay together in a blissful daze yet again, joined as one, for an indeterminate, seemingly eternal moment of nirvana.

When Harry next woke, he realised that it was several hours later, well past breakfast time. He also realised that he and Hermione were still entwined. He couldn’t really move without stirring Hermione and they both roused themselves.

Hermione felt much clearer-headed. She cleaned her teeth while Harry used the loo, then they shared a hot shower together. Something clicked in Hermione’s brain as they both dressed and got ready to meet the rest of the day.

“Harry?”

“Yes?”

“Do you remember the story - about the three brothers? You were reading it to me last night.”

“Yeah...” Harry finished buckling his belt and peered attentively at Hermione. He wondered if she had had a similar feeling of deja vu. “Can’t forget that one really. There’s something about that story - the Invisibility Cloak for one thing...”

“And the Resurrection Stone...” Hermione said excitedly. Harry, I think the story is based on real people...”

“Come off it. You’re joking...” Harry peered at his wife with a thoroughly bemused expression. “Death can’t be a real character. He’s an anthropomorphism - it’s just a fairy tale for wizards Hermione...”

Hermione stared back at her skeptical husband and giggled as the absurdity and the irony of the situation struck her.

“Are you teasing me Hermione?” asked Harry, still with a look of bewildered amusement plastered on his face.

“No,” Hermione shook her head. “I mean it. Of course Death isn’t a real person - you’re absolutely right, but the rest of the story... Do you remember when we found the Ring of Peverell with Dumbledore?”

Harry nodded.

“It’s the Resurrection Stone Harry - don’t you see?” Hermione’s brown eyes gleamed brightly, “You and Dumbledore have two of the three magical artifacts in the story. The three wizards in the story are the Peverell brothers, and you’re descended from the one who owned the Invisibility Cloak. It all fits logically...”

“You’re serious about this aren’t you?” Harry interjected, stunned by the seeming credibility of the revelation.

“Absolutely,” Hermione responded adamantly. “When we found the ring, Dumbledore said something very interesting to Mr Moody. Dumbledore called the insignia on the Stone in the ring, ‘the Peverell Coat of Arms - the Deathly Hallows’...”

“YES!” Harry’s own eyes widened in excitement as it hit him, “I remember the symbol. It looks a bit like an eye in the middle of a Triangle - but a slitted eye. It’s not an eye, it’s the...”

“...stone in the ring, yes!” Hermione finished for Harry. “And that slit wasn’t a slit, it was a wand...”

“...and the triangle was a cape - a cloak - my Invisibility Cloak. You’re right Hermione, it all fits, it makes sense. Invisibility Cloaks as good as mine are supposed to be really rare - it’s impervious to nearly everything...”

“I know; it’s perfect Harry,” Hermione gushed. “The cloak didn’t get torn or damaged at all when I was wearing it as we crashed through the ceiling of Gringotts. And the charm on it is as strong today as it must have been when your father owned it. That’s unheard of. The Peverells must have been incredible wizards...”

“The Elder Wand... That must be amazing,” Harry mused. “I’m not sure that I’d want it though. Seems more trouble than it’s worth, something like that. I’d rather have the cloak.”

Hermione nodded vigorously in agreement, “Me too... though I thought - given your parents, you might like the Resurrection Stone...”

Harry shook his head, “Maybe at one time - but honestly, I’m not so sure about that. It’s weird. I do want to see them - have a chance to talk to them - but I don’t as well. I... I’m not sure why. Maybe I’m just not ready yet...”

“I... I think I understand Harry.” Hermione bit her lip, and smiled at him tearily. Harry reached out and caught a tear with the back of his forefinger as it trickled down her cheek.

“It’s alright Hermione,” said Harry softly. “I’m fine... really. I’m just trying to say why, if I had to choose - at this moment in time - why I would choose the Invisibility Cloak instead of the Resurrection Stone or the Elder Wand. Right now, I’m just mostly curious...”

“...Who has the Elder Wand?” Hermione concluded with a nod. “Maybe Dumbledore can tell us more about the Deathly Hallows, and what they mean...”

~o0o~

Madam Bones and Susan departed shortly after a very late breakfast, both of them thanking the Potters profusely for their hospitality. Susan then gave Dudley a hug and a kiss on the cheek before stepping into the green flames, thanking him for keeping her company during the summer.

Harry grinned at the goofy expression on Dudley’s reddening face. He hoped Dudley would have a chance to make some nice friends in Canada, maybe even meet a girl. Dudley deserved it. He was almost a completely different person now.

Harry barely recognised Dudley as the boy whom Harry’s horrible Uncle Vernon had trained to be a bully. All that seemed to be left of the old Dudley was an obsession with movies and videogames that featured lots of gunfire and explosions. Susan had assured Hermione and Harry that Dudley had been the perfect gentleman the entire summer.

Moody caught Harry’s eye after the Boneses had gone.

“Well Potter,” Mad Eye growled, “I’ll be about for a bit until we’ve got your relatives moved - which’ll likely take us till the end of the week. But I know you’ll be headin’ back to Hogwarts tomorrow mornin’... You and your missus need to know that there was an emergency Order meetin’ last night for some of us in the ‘inner-circle.’”

“There’s nothin’ you need to worry about just yet. Dumbledore’ll fill you in on anything which affects you when you get back to Hogwarts. For now, just remember to stay vigilant.”

After Moody had departed, Harry and Hermione were left with Dudley who peered at them a bit awkwardly.

“Er... Thanks loads Harry... for...erm... sending us on a trip.” said Dudley with a sad smile. “It... er... it’ll be nice to get outside and see other people again.”

Harry returned Dudley’s smile and nodded, “You’re welcome Dudley. I’m sorry that Aunt Petunia vetoed your vote to live in Tahiti or the Bahamas.”

Dudley and Harry both began to laugh and Hermione giggled. After a few chuckles, Dudley became serious again.

“I... I’ll really miss you Harry. I... I know I’ll have a chance to make new friends, but it’s not the same. It’s not really fair. All those years... I wasted on bullying you...”

Harry grew alarmed, seeing where this was heading. “Look... Dudley! That’s all water under the bridge. You’ve already apologised. You’ve been really nice since.... and anyway, I blame Uncle Vernon more...”

“No... that’s not what I mean. I mean... er...” Dudley floundered momentarily, then pulled himself back together. “What I’m trying to say is... is that I’m sorry that I didn’t have a chance to be your friend as a kid - before you went off to wizard school. I think you’re really cool to hang out with - and... and I just wish we had more time to be friends now...”

Harry’s eyes felt a bit watery, then a sense of resolve set in.

“Hey!” said Harry firmly, “I’ll see you again... That’s a promise Dudley! Here... take this.”

“What is it?” Dudley peered at the hand-mirror which Harry had given him.

“It’s a bit like a mobile phone,” Harry replied. “If you touch it or hold it and say my name, I’ll be able to talk to you on one too. This one is an extra one in case mine gets broken. If you need anything... or just want to talk, call me. Just try not to forget that you’ll be in a different timezone!” Harry smirked and Dudley grinned back at him.

“Wicked! Ta Harry... does it... er... take messages?”

“Er... yeah I think it does actually! We haven’t really tried that yet... Do you want to give it a go then?”

“Er... alright,” said Dudley.

Dudley said Harry’s name and spoke into the mirror. Harry waited a minute or two then picked up his own mirror. As soon as Harry touched the mirror he heard Dudley’s voice emanating from it and saw Dudley’s moving features. Harry nodded in satisfaction as he listened to the message.

“Well, looks like it definitely works then,” Harry grinned.

Harry and Hermione spent the rest of the day cheerfully playing videogames and watching action films with Dudley. For a special treat, Abbie Brixton went out and brought back a take-out feast for everyone from a nearby Indian Restaurant: a sumptuous spread of spicy curries, tangy rice, and samosas. Full and happy, before going to bed, Harry and Hermione prepared to return to Hogwarts the next morning, feeling ready for whatever came next.

~o0o~

Daphne distractedly dipped the piece of toast in the runny yellow yolk of her boiled egg. She glanced the others, wondering if they felt the same as she did. The afternoon before last, Dumbledore had cheerfully informed the Potters’ friends that Harry and Hermione’s mission had been a roaring success.

Daphne was thrilled and relieved that the scourge of the wizard world was no more, with the surety that he would never return. Nevertheless, she couldn’t help feeling a bit empty and confused.

She hadn’t expected to feel a bit lost. In some respects, the wizard who had fashioned himself into a “Dark Lord” had defined her entire existence - everyone’s existence for that matter. Voldemort had been a looming presence over everyone in Britain for many decades. Even during the fourteen years that people had believed him to be dead, most people had still been too terrified to say his name.

Now that Voldemort was gone, Daphne was unsure of herself, uncertain of her purpose. She knew that the Minister was the biggest threat to Harry and Hermione now, but Daphne had no idea what she could do about that. The Minister couldn’t be fought directly as long as the rest of wizarding Britain perceived her to be the legitimate head of the Ministry.

All Daphne could envision in her own immediate future was several more years at Hogwarts. But that was no longer enough for her; she needed more, something to fill the gap, some knowledge of her destiny. And Daphne hoped that eventually she would find it.

Doing her best to put it all aside, Daphne looked around the table again, to see what everyone else was up to. Everyone was giggling or roaring with laughter. Daphne grinned when she saw that Dora had changed her features to mimic a bear snout as she ate her porridge.

Daphne’s own giggles were interrupted by a gentle hand on her shoulder. She was surprised to see Professor McGonagall standing beside her. Somehow McGonagall had pulled a Dumbledore and managed to sneak up on the Mingling Table without anyone noticing.

“Professor?” mumbled Daphne as she hurriedly chewed and swallowed the piece of toast in her mouth.

“My apologies Miss Greengrass,” began Professor McGonagall kindly, “I don’t mean to disturb you, but I need to inform you that you have a visitor - your father is here. When you have finished your breakfast, you will be able to find him in the headmaster’s office.”

Daphne’s eyes went wide and her chest tightened.

“Is something wrong? My sister...?” Daphne gasped.

“It’s alright dear,” Professor McGonagall continued, all eyes upon her now. “There is no cause for alarm. As far as I am aware, your sister Astoria is well and at home with your mother. Your father simply wishes to speak with you in person before term begins.”

“Thanks Professor,” Daphne nodded, her trepidation changing to excitement at the news. Hastily Daphne finished her breakfast and dashed off to wash up before joining her father in Dumbledore’s office.

~o0o~

Saying goodbye to everyone at Number Twelve had felt very different from any of the previous goodbyes in either of the Potters’ memory, but they had both taken some comfort in the fact that their relatives would have each other and a witch to keep them company.

They had shared a quiet breakfast with the others before leaving. And even though Harry and Hermione were both satisfied that Mum, their respective aunts, and Dudley, would be safe in Canada and well looked after by Abbie Brixton, farewells were still quite tearful.

Harry and Hermione emerged from the green flames in the fireplace of the staff-room at Hogwarts to be eagerly greeted by a grinning Professor Lupin.

“Well, aren’t you two a sight for sore eyes,” said Lupin to the young couple after Harry had regained his balance and stopped coughing. “I trust all is well?”

“I bloody hate floo travel. We barely managed to keep ourselves together when we went to Gringotts.” Harry grimaced as he and Hermione brushed the ash and soot off their clothes. “I wish we could’ve just caught a train to Hogsmeade and had you meet us there.”

“Well, we might be able to do something about that Harry,” said Lupin with a thoughtful expression. “You are both technically of age after all. I’ll speak to Dumbledore and see about getting apparition lessons for you both - though of course...”

“...You can’t usually apparate directly into Hogwarts,” Harry muttered, not sure that he would like apparating any better than floo travel. As far as he was concerned, broomsticks were the best means of transportation in the Wizard World, especially with Hermione snuggled against him.

“Indeed!” Lupin responded, smiling. “Most of the time anyway - unless Dumbledore temporarily takes down the anti-apparition charms. I was actually meaning that for the time being until the problem of the Minister has been dealt with, that for you, direct travel is perhaps for the best. The less time you are exposed in public, the better.

“In any case,” Lupin continued, looking even more cheerful, “I believe some sort of celebration is in order. Perhaps you and your friends would like to join me and Sirius at the Shack this evening for a bit of a soiree.”

“That sounds great,” said Harry, finally smiling himself. “Yeah, I’d like that. Does that sound good to you Hermione?” Harry asked his wife.

Hermione returned Harry’s look, then regarded Lupin astutely, sensing that he was holding back some joyful tidings.

“Well... that would be lovely, but I think Professor Lupin has some good news to tell us first Harry!”

Lupin groaned. He had wanted to surprise the Potters at the party, but Hermione’s keen observational skills had caught him out. Harry questioningly peered back and forth between Hermione and Remus.

“You’d better spit it out Remus...” Harry said with a grin, “Hermione can be quite stubborn at ti... ow!” Harry bit his tongue and smirked at Hermione who was giving him a mock glare after swatting his shoulder teasingly.

“Hark who’s talking,” Hermione retorted. Then she set her sights firmly back on Lupin, a bit of a smirk on her own lips. “Still... Harry’s not wrong! I’m not budging until you tell us now, Remus!” Hermione’s features softened and gave Lupin her best doe-eyed look. “Please!?”

“Alright, you win,” Lupin shook his head with a laugh and rubbed his forehead. “This isn’t exactly how I wanted to tell you - but here it is then... I’m not entirely certain how it happened, but I’m cured. I am no longer a werewolf!”

“Shut up! You’re joking!” Harry gasped.

Hermione’s jaw dropped in shock, “But that... that’s impossible, isn’t it?”

“Well - so Snape and Pomfrey keep reminding me,” Lupin chortled. “They are as astounded as you two. But the results of Pomfrey’s tests are quite clear, and undeniable. The only thing... Dumbledore, he didn’t seem quite as surprised as he ought to. Especially when I revealed my own thoughts on the matter to him...”

Professor Lupin gazed shrewdly at Harry and Hermione. Suddenly it hit them both.

“Our Patronuses!” Harry blurted out, looking very sheepish.

Hermione’s eyes widened guiltily, “Please don’t be cross with us Remus. Dumbledore said we should keep it a secret, but we still meant to tell you and Sirius...”

“...But somehow we never got round to it...” Harry finished.

“Oh, heavens no! I’m not cross in the least,” Lupin reassured the two young students, “Nor will Sirius be. We both understand the need for keeping some things a secret - in as small a circle as possible. None of us knew how we survived the battle with Voldemort. By rights Hogwarts should be in ruins, and we should all be dead. And we might be if anyone untoward had stumbled across whatever your secrets are...

“All of us in the Order assumed that Dumbledore had some secret weapon which he had put you and Harry in charge of... But judging from your reactions, am I right to presume that your Patroni had something to do with that as well?” Lupin asked.

“Yeah, erm... they’re... er... ‘superpowered’ Patronuses, I suppose...” mumbled Harry awkwardly, turning pink. He looked at Hermione who was blushing furiously .

“Ah... say no more Harry,” said Lupin, light suddenly dawning on him. “I understand... Sirius and I always knew you were both eminently suited for each other, and there’s no need for the details.

“I must assume that your... erm... activities have something to do with the Castle-Quakes. And would I also be correct to assume then, that your ‘superpowered’ Patroni were indeed responsible for the destruction of the Dementors at the conclusion of the Third Task?”

“Yes...” Hermione squeaked. “But we had no idea that would happen at the time...”

“...and it was only a guess on my part that they would kill Inferi too,” Harry added. “We first gave them a go against the Inferi in the maze...”

“And it was a brilliant guess, a very logical inference actually,” said Hermione. “Er... I suppose you’re right,” she continued, “We might not have survived the attack on Hogwarts if it weren’t for our Patronuses...”

“And now that my Lycanthropy is cured, we know of at least one more effect of such potent Patroni,” Lupin nodded with a satisfied expression on his face. He noticed the Potters’ eyes flicker towards each other uncertainly.

“Perhaps two more then?” Lupin raised his eyebrows as something clicked in his brain. “Should I also conclude that your Patroni had something to do with Jennifer Watts’ newfound magical abilities as well?”

Harry swallowed nervously and Hermione bit her lip anxiously.

“It’s alright,” Lupin said gently. “Don’t worry... Jennifer Watts’ secret is safe with me and Sirius. That is even more dangerous information to possess than the ability of Patroni to destroy some of the Darkest curses and Dementors...

“And I must say... it is quite incredible. Never in recorded history - at least not that I know of - have muggles ever been turned into wizards. It is as unheard of as a permanent remedy for lycanthropy...”

“And I cannot thank you both enough for giving me my life back, inadvertently or not,” Lupin’s voice cracked, his eyes glistening wetly. “Words are truly insufficient to convey my gratitude...”

By the time Harry and Hermione left Lupin, they had both cheered again in anticipation of the celebration of Tom Riddle’s demise, and buoyed by the knowledge that Lupin’s lycanthropy was cured.

“I still can’t believe it Hermione. Lupin’s going to have to learn how to be an animagus now if he wants to be a wolf again. He’ll have total control when he transforms.”

“It really is amazing Harry. Our Patronuses - we’ve gone further with that magic than anyone has ever done. We’ve accomplished things with them that the vast majority of wizards will probably never be able to do...” Hermione paused, her face awestruck.

“Until just now - the way Remus put it - even after you used your Patronus to destroy Voldemort - I... I haven’t really quite thought about it like that before Harry - what it all means about our place in the wizard world.”

“I know... me neither really,” said Harry. “It’s almost like our Patronuses are ‘Curse-Busters’ of a sort. They seem to destroy certain types of really Dark Curses...”

“...because they’re the opposite of death and despair - they’re the embodiment of life and joy...” Hermione continued as she embraced Harry tightly. She gazed into Harry’s lustrous green eyes and whispered, “They’re love...”

Harry and Hermione’s lips met in a long, rapturous kiss as they stood in the hallway opposite the delighted portrait of Aphrodite.

The ancient Greek Sorceress known to the muggle world as the Goddess of Love waited patiently as the young couple kissed. When the Potters finished kissing, Hermione was the first to realise that something was different when she spotted Aphrodite smiling blissfully at her.

“Er... isn’t our corridor supposed to be here?” asked Hermione, looking bewildered. Harry was equally puzzled, wondering if they had somehow taken a wrong turn.

“Yes indeed,” said the portrait of Aphrodite, batting her eyelashes coquettishly. “While you were both gone, the headmaster thought it might be wise to add another layer of protection for you and your friends. I am now the guardian of the portal to your quarters. Only those with the right passport may pass through me...”

“Er... passport?” said Harry questioningly. “Don’t you mean password?”

Aphrodite tittered, sounding a lot like Fleur. “Just a little kiss... and if you taste right, you may pass unchallenged.”

“Taste right?” asked Hermione. She gasped and her eyes widened as it hit her. “It’s to make sure that we’re not polyjuice or metamorphmagus imposters, isn’t it!”

“Right in one, dear! Now... just a little kiss, right on the lips...”

The Potters blushed furiously as the life-size portrait beckoned them forth and they both gave Aphrodite a kiss on her painted lips. The magical canvas shimmered as Aphrodite tasted the truth of their essence.

“That’s it - now step into the frame...” said Aphrodite.

“Er... really?” Harry raised one eyebrow skeptically. This was a new one on him and Hermione.

“Harry...” gasped Hermione, “...I think she means like in Voyage of the Dawn Treader! Remember how Lucy, Edmund, and Eustace jump into the painting of the Narnian ship?”

“Wow...Yeah, I do...”

“Then come on Harry,” said Hermione excitedly, grabbing Harry’s hand.

She stepped over the frame, pulling Harry with her. The Potters appeared to flatten as they joined Aphrodite inside the painting. When they stepped out of the frame again, they were on the other side of the wall, facing what was now a Secret Corridor, hidden from the rest of Hogwarts.

“That is seriously cool!” exclaimed Harry, feeling awed. “I love magic,” Harry grinned. “It’s weird - I almost feel like I’m turning two dimensional when we step into and out of the frames, but from inside...”

“...the painting feels three dimensional and the outer-world looks two dimensional. It’s like another world in there Harry...” said Hermione.

“I bet Neville’s going to have a heart attack when he has to kiss Aphrodite to visit us though,” Harry chortled.

Hermione giggled but never got another word out because there was a squeal as the door to their common room opened and Daphne pounced on the Potters.

“I thought I heard voices out here,” Daphne beamed radiantly, giving each Potter a hug and a kiss on the cheek. “I missed you - we all did.”

There were hugs all the way around as Harry and Hermione entered the Unaffiliated common room. Everyone was there except for Neville and Viktor. Hermione spied schoolbooks and papers strewn across the coffee table and the end tables by the sofa and cozy armchairs.

“We’re all helping Jennifer study for exams...” Luna explained.

“There’s less than a week before term begins on Friday, so Dumbledore is setting Jennifer's exams for Wednesday,” Parvati added.

“And she’s bloody brilliant!” said Dora eagerly. “Dumbledore said they’ll only be testing for the essentials, so there’s a good chance that she’ll be joining you lot in fifth year...”

“...Except for Luna and me of course,” Ginny sighed, wishing they could skip fourth year and take classes with their friends.

“Jennifer c’est magnifique,” Fleur added, “So much material in less zan two months!”

Jennifer hid her crimson face behind her long dark bangs, “I’ve had loads of help - I couldn’t have got this far without all of you, really...”

Relief flooded Jennifer when everyone began clamouring to hear details from the Potters about the mission to retrieve the last horcrux. Everyone listened intently and shivered at all the scary bits. The girls giggled and Harry grinned, turning slightly pink, when Hermione recounted how she and Harry had been caught snogging and seriously making out by Dumbledore at the lake.

Daphne wanted Harry and Hermione to stay longer after they had finished their tale, but she knew that her father didn’t have all day.

“Harry, my father has some important things he needs to discuss with you - the both of you. He’s with Dumbledore, probably still in Dumbledore’s office...”

“Oh, alright then,” said Harry, feeling nervous suddenly, “Er... d’you know what it’s about Daphne?”

“I’m not sure exactly, but I think it has something to do with the Wizengamot,” Daphne replied. Daphne looked like she was about to say something more, but after a moment’s hesitation she gave the Potters a hug and sent them on their way.

Hermione could sense Daphne’s anxiety as surely as she had sensed Professor Lupin’s barely contained glee. Harry glanced at his wife as they made their way to the headmaster’s office, a gnawing feeling growing in his own gut.

“Hermione, Daphne seemed a bit worried about something. D’you think she’s alright?”

Hermione bit her lip.

“I... I’m not sure Harry,” she replied. “She’s definitely anxious about something. Maybe we’ll find out what’s bothering her from Mr Greengrass.”

“Yeah... I suppose we’ll find out soon enough then,” said Harry.

Moments later, the two young wizards were greeted warmly by Mr Greengrass and the headmaster, and seated themselves in two cozy armchairs. Harry swallowed nervously and Hermione instinctively took his hand. Though the greeting had been friendly, they both knew that this was no social call.

“Harry, Mrs Potter,” the Headmaster began, “As we all know, despite the final demise of Tom Riddle, we still face an uphill climb. It would have been a boon to us all if we had more time to devise a proper strategy for dealing with the Minister, alas, we do not... perhaps I should allow Mr Greengrass to explain...”

Cyril Greengrass sighed. He hated to be the bearer of bad news.

“Well Harry, the Wizengamot has been called to a full session for this upcoming Thursday at nine am. Your godfather and I had hoped to shepherd you through your first legislative session. However, given the circumstances, I think it would be best that you not participate directly.”

Harry thought about it for a moment. After dealing with Voldemort‘s army and Voldemort himself, the task of entering the heart of the Ministry and facing Minister Umbridge again didn’t seem so daunting.

“Why not?” he said. “I’m not scared of the Minister...”

Cyril Greengrass couldn’t help smiling at Harry’s directness and fortitude.

“Good,” Mr Greengrass responded. “Be that as it may, I believe that it would be far too dangerous for you to enter the Ministry at this time. The Minister now has the support of three key committees... and controls a majority on the Wizengamot...”

“Which has been confirmed independently by Rufus Scrimgeour, Head of the Auror Office,” Dumbledore interjected.

“Indeed,” Mr Greengrass nodded, “But most disturbing, is how the Minister has achieved this. Four members of the Wizengamot have been indefinitely detained for ‘questioning’ following Voldemort’s failed attack on Hogwarts - all of them members of the governing board of Hogwarts.” Mr Greengrass paused to let the information sink in.

Hermione tried not to squeak when Harry’s grip on her hand tightened. Harry’s nostrils flared, his face flushed and his stomach clenched. He opened and shut his mouth twice, swallowed uncomfortably, and steadied himself before speaking.

“So what am I supposed to do?” Harry asked as evenly as possible, his anger building, “I can’t just sit here and do nothing. If the Minister is looking for a legal maneouvre to get into Hogwarts, I should try and stop her by speaking out at the Wizengamot session.”

“I believe it is already too late for that Harry,” Mr Greengrass replied somberly. “And if you were to show up for the session, I think that you too will find yourself in detention under armed guard - and your godfather agrees. The only suggestion I have, is that you should appoint a proxy to at the very least vote on your behalf.”

Harry glanced at Hermione. She was as appalled as he was.

“Alright then,” Harry sighed in resignation. “The only problem is, I don’t really know anyone. Who should I appoint - and how will they know the right way to vote?”

Mr Greengrass smiled again; there was at least some small means by which he could help Harry Potter.

“My wife, Hippolyta, has already agreed to sit in your seat Harry - pending your approval of course...”

“But sir,” Hermione anxiously interrupted, sensing Harry’s skyrocketing alarm, “What if the Minister tries to arrest you and your wife too. I... I don’t think we could live with ourselves...”

Harry jumped in, “Hermione’s right Mr Greengrass. I... I really appreciate the offer; I really do. But... but I can’t let anyone else take the fall for me. I’d never be able to forgive myself if Daphne lost her parents.”

Several emotions crossed Cyril Greengrass’s features as he peered admiringly at Harry.

“That should be of little concern Harry,” he replied. “Our family is quite well connected. I do not believe the Minister will wish to risk losing her recently found majority on the Wizengamot by going after us.

“I suspect that she would have done so already otherwise - as apparently, she has been harbouring the Malfoys and is preparing to have the Wizengamot ratify her Pardon of Draco...”

Hermione couldn’t help herself and hissed furiously. Harry’s head began to swim as his blood started to boil.

“So you mean...” Harry hoarsely started to say.

“Yes!” Mr Greengrass’s features went icy and rigid, “Draco Malfoy will likely be returning to Hogwarts...”

“And there is absolutely nothing I can do to prevent it,” Dumbledore quietly added.
Sign up to rate and review this story