Categories > Books > Harry Potter > Moments in Love

Summer's End Part 2

by Gandalfs_Beard 0 reviews

Ginny receives a letter from Percy. The Ministry's investigation into the battle of Hogwarts begins to heat up as the new school term approaches...

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Angst,Drama - Characters: Harry,Hermione - Published: 2018-01-19 - 8227 words

0Unrated

Summer's End Part 2

“This is horrible!” Hermione fumed, still bristling as she departed with Harry from Dumbledore’s office. “It’s absolutely revolting... I can’t believe Draco Malfoy is returning to Hogwarts!”

“No wonder Daphne is so worried,” Harry responded in a calm voice which belied the crimson flush of anger on his cheeks. “But I’m not going to let anything happen to Daphne, Hermione... no matter what!”

“You mean we’re not going to let anything happen to her!” said Hermione.

“Of course!” Harry agreed, “We’ll all be looking out for Daphne - and each other. That little arsewipe Draco won’t know what hit him if he tries anything. I’ll take off his other hand if I have to!” Harry concluded with a growl.

“At least one good thing has come out of it,” Hermione sighed. “Daphne will be able to use magic outside of Hogwarts without violating any laws if it comes down to it and she has to leave.”

“Yeah, that’s really good!” Harry nodded. “Daphne’ll be able to defend herself without activating the Trace now that it’s gone. I suppose I shouldn’t really be surprised that Mr Greengrass signed emancipation papers for her.”

When the Potters returned to their common room, they spied Daphne moping on a sofa near the unlit fireplace with Fleur and Dora who were trying to cheer her up.

“I knew something was wrong Daphne. I am glad zat you finally told us,” said Fleur.

“And don’t worry yourself Daphne,” said Dora. “We’ve all got your back.”

“I would have told you both sooner,” Daphne sniffled, “I just didn’t want to spoil things when Harry and Hermione first got back. I knew Dad would tell them... I still can’t believe I’m going to have to see Draco every day...”

“You don’t ‘ave to stick it out at Hogwarts,” Dora suggested. “I’m sure your parents would let you stay at home...”

“No!” Daphne scowled. “Dad said I could if I wanted to. But this is my school. Draco should be the one to leave - not me! If I let him chase me out, then he’s won... And I swear, if he makes any trouble, I’m going to make him pay for what he did to Astoria...”

“That’s the spirit Daphne!” said Harry, smiling darkly.

The three witches on the sofa all looked up to see Harry standing by the doorway with his arm around Hermione. Daphne smiled wanly at them both. Hermione gave Daphne a hug and sat down with Harry.

“We’re all here for you Daphne,” Hermione said sweetly, “And we’re not going to let that loathsome little cockroach get away with anything.”

“Thanks guys,” said Daphne, still looking a bit teary. “I’ll be alright... really! It’s still just a bit of a shock.”

“Yeah... for us too,” Harry sighed and peered around the common room. “Where’d everyone else go?”

“Ze others, they take a break from studying,” said Fleur. “But poor Daphne was too sad to go...”

“So we both thought we oughta stick around to see what was wrong,” Dora added.

“It’s nearly lunch time,” said Hermione. “Do you feel up to it Daphne? We can stay and have it here if you want to - Dobby can bring us some.”

“No, I really will be alright now.” Daphne smiled properly and dabbed at her tears. “I’m just being silly. I tried to hold it in after I talked to Dad, but I just couldn’t any longer - I feel loads better now... really. Thanks guys - you’re all great...”

The Potters went to look for the others with Dora, Fleur, and Daphne. They found nearly everyone at the quidditch pitch except for Luna and Ginny. When they all arrived in the Great Hall for lunch, Ginny and Luna were already at the Mingling Table. Ginny was glaring at a letter, her face as red as her hair, and Luna’s big eyes were popping, her mouth gaping in shock.

“What’s up?” asked Harry, wondering what had made Ginny so furious.

“I can’t bloody believe it!” Ginny fumed. “What a complete, utter, Tosspot!”

“What’s the matter Ginny?” Hermione inquired when Ginny didn’t directly answer Harry’s question.

“Percy the Prat - Percy the Pretentious Popinjay - Percy the Pathetic excuse for a human being - that’s what the matter is!” Ginny huffed angrily.

“He sent Ginny a letter,” said Luna. “It’s really quite dreadful...”

Harry’s eyebrows shot up as alarm bells went off in his head, “How did he know you were here Ginny? It’s still summer...”

“He doesn’t,” Ginny replied. “He sent it to the Burrow a few days ago - that’s why I only just got it now. Mum sent it on to me. But she wouldn’t have if she’d read it - she’d have probably burned it and sent him back a howler. Here, read it. A lot of it is about you anyway...”

Ginny passed the letter to Harry, her hand shaking with rage. He sat down in his usual seat with Hermione at his side and they read it together while the others watched curiously.

Dear Ginny,

I hope this letter finds you well. As you are about to begin your Fourth Year, I deemed it appropriate to give you advance notice of certain changes being planned for Hogwarts, as you are my favourite sister and I do not wish to see you become entangled in the web of Dumbledore’s lies, nor fall victim to another one of his blood-feuds in his quest for power.


Harry almost started to laugh when he read the bit about Ginny being Percy’s favourite sister, but the look of humour slid from his face as he continued reading.

You are the only family member who has ever treated me with a modicum of respect - except perhaps our mother, despite having been compromised by our father’s misguided ideals - and you are young enough that I feel you can still be dissuaded from falling for the dangerous propaganda which has long ensnared our parents and twisted their minds beyond reason.

I feel it is unfortunately too late to say the same for our brothers - though I do hold out some hopes for Ron. For too long have they been plied with Dumbledore’s unfounded and baseless rhetoric regarding the “fair” treatment of Muggleborns

It may surprise you to learn this, but the Headmaster really has very little concern for the Muggleborn. In fact, the Minister’s investigation is uncovering very disturbing details about his past which will soon be revealed in a thoroughly documented exposé in the Daily Prophet. When considered alongside the evidence of Dumbledore’s current treasonous activities, it shall substantiate this fact.

Dumbledore’s “concern” for the muggleborn who are stealing our heritage and wiping their behinds with the traditions of real wizards is nothing but a front. He is using them and their lack of knowledge and respect for wizarding tradition and culture to gain power and take over the Ministry. He is little more than a violent revolutionary who is plotting to upend everything we hold dear, flout the Natural Order, and destroy the Rule of Law.

It is to this end that Dumbledore has long promoted the Cult of Harry Potter, a violent and dangerous criminal who purports to come from a long line of wizards, yet who is known to have been raised by Muggles. I know that you have always had a soft spot for Potter, based on Dumbledore’s fairy tales about an infant who “saved” the wizard world from the “Dark Wizard” known as Voldemort.

Nothing could be further from the truth. Yes, Voldemort’s methods have been dangerously irresponsible and disruptive, but it has become clear (under the exceptional tutelage of our delightful Minister) that Voldemort felt that he was forced to act outside the Law to counter Dumbledore’s longtime meddling in Ministry affairs. Are you aware that Dumbledore’s seditious dirty-blood policies have been diluting our wizarding culture and genetic heritage since at least the late 1940’s?

In any case, I urge you to stay as far away from Harry Potter and his pet Muggleborn as possible. The Minister’s investigation is certain to eventually implicate Potter and his Pet. As you are no doubt aware from the Daily Prophet’s exceptional coverage, Potter and his Muggleborn were hauled up before the Wizengamot at the beginning of the summer on charges of murdering over 400 sentient beings and violating the International Statute of Secrecy.

As I was a key part of the investigation and prosecution of Potter and his Muggleborn partner in crime, I can assure you, they got off on a mere technicality. They will not be so lucky next time. I do not wish to see you harmed in any way when the Potters are finally apprehended. It may be some time before the investigation yields any fresh fruit in that regard, but until then, please give Potter and his other half a wide berth.

This next bit, you must keep entirely to yourself. If all goes well in the Wizengamot later this week, and they accept the recommendations of the Educational Oversight Committee (and I have no doubt that they will) Inquisitors will be dispatched to Hogwarts to continue the investigation of Dumbledore and his Cronies, and to begin the implementation of new policies to facilitate an improved educational experience.

Please give these Inquisitors your utmost cooperation. If you do, your rewards shall be handsome indeed, and you will be able to take pride in yourself for having assisted in deposing one of the greatest threats that wizarding Britain has ever faced.

It would perhaps be best for you to burn this after reading to prevent Dumbledore’s operatives (our parents) from learning of the Minister’s plans to extend her authority over Hogwarts. It would not do to tip-off the headmaster and give him the opportunity to cover his tracks and escape Justice. For too long has Dumbledore believed that he could destroy the Traditions and Ancient Laws of our culture with impunity.

I place my utmost faith and trust in you, my precious sister.

Your brother,
Percy


Harry felt really ill when he finished reading Percy’s screed. He glanced at Hermione. She was as white as a sheet, and her eyes as big as saucers. Speechless, Harry passed the letter around the table for the rest of their friends to read.

Fleur and Daphne both gasped in horror and Viktor raised his eyebrows.

“Your brother wrote that?” said Neville, sounding utterly bewildered.

“He might as well have called you a mudblood, Hermione,” Parvati spat furiously, nearly in tears, “the way he goes on about you - like you’re not even human.”

“Is he for real?” asked Jennifer, feeling a sudden chill. It hit her hard, for the first time realising how much danger she might still be in. It was one thing to be targeted by ruthless criminals, but to be in the crosshairs of the government was another thing altogether.

“I knew ‘e was a bad apple - suckin’ up to the Minister,” said Dora, “But ‘e’s gone completely off his nut. He sounds like a bloody Malfoy! It’s ‘ard to believe he was ever a Weasley... sorry Ginny!”

Ginny had a murderous expression on her face. “Don’t be sorry! I can’t believe it either!”

“We’d better take this to Dumbledore, Harry.” Hermione glanced at Ginny.

“Take it!” said Ginny bitterly. She had no desire to keep the letter.

“We might as well take it now,” Harry said woodenly. “I’m not really hungry anymore anyway.”

Hermione left the table with Harry and for the second time that day they found themselves in the headmaster’s office, discussing the perilous road ahead of them.

~o0o~

Headmaster Albus Dumbledore adjusted his half-moon spectacles and sighed heavily as he read Percy Weasley’s letter to his sister yet again. The second conversation with the Potters had been lengthy and even more unsettling than the one they had all had with Mr Greengrass earlier that morning.

It had taken a great emotional toll upon Dumbledore, speaking of things of a deeply personal nature, revealing the dark travails of his past to the Potters. But it had been an absolute necessity; Harry and his wife deserved to hear the truth from the headmaster’s own lips before seeing it distorted in the pages of the Daily Prophet.

He had told them everything: the violent sexual assault upon his little sister Ariana by three muggle boys, the vengeance of his father and his father’s subsequent sentence to Azkaban, Dumbledore’s own dark misgivings about muggles following his sister’s violation.

Dumbledore revealed his shortlived dalliance with Gellert Grindelwald and their plans to subjugate muggles, which had come to a violent end when Dumbledore had realised that Gellert’s goals included the wholesale slaughter of muggles. And Dumbledore disclosed his biggest regret of all - his most painful regret - the death of his sister during the fight with Gellert.

The subject of the Deathly Hallows was broached when Dumbledore revealed how he had for many years sought after the Resurrection Stone, and how he had eventually come to possess the Elder Wand after his final battle with Grindelwald. At that point, Dumbledore knew that the time had come to pass on the Resurrection Stone to Harry.

Dumbledore dispensed with tea following his conversation with the Potters, and instead indulged in several shots of Ogden’s Finest Firewhiskey. Fawkes ruffled his feathers, eyeing the headmaster with concern.

“Never fear Fawkes,” the headmaster sighed, feeling a bit steadier. “I am quite alright now.”

Dumbledore’s expression turned to amusement when he caught the eye of one of the portraits on his wall. The portrait of Phineas Nigellus Black snorted.

“Really Dumbledore...” the sour looking portrait sniffed disdainfully, “are you simply going to let the Minister’s puppets just waltz on in and take over Hogwarts? I thought you were smarter than that. Back in MY day, the Ministry would have never dared dream of it.”

The headmaster couldn’t help chuckling at the pompous portrait’s boastfulness.

“Now, now Phineas, back in your day, the Ministry and Hogwarts were aligned completely in promoting a philosophy of Pureblood Supremacy - albeit not quite such an extreme version to be sure. Spare me the braggadocio,” retorted Dumbledore.

Dumbledore noted with satisfaction that Phineas actually looked slightly ashamed.

“My apologies Dumbledore,” Phineas replied, “Old habits die hard. It is still quite difficult for me to accept that there may be a few among the Muggleborn who might be as competent as those of such regal blood as myself, and I cannot say that I entirely approve of all of the changes you have been instituting over the years.

“But I concede that such may be necessary if wizards should hope to progress and keep up with the evolution of Muggle technology - I have witnessed their advances through my portrait in London at the National Portrait Gallery,” Phineas concluded with a weary sigh.

“Can I count on you to do your utmost to protect all the students of Hogwarts then - including the Muggleborn - if I should be forced to depart?” Dumbledore peered expectantly at Phineas.

The portrait of Phineas Nigellus fidgeted uncomfortably in his frame. Finally he nodded.

“Yes! You have my word. I am loyal to Hogwarts and its students,” Phineas answered. “And I have little respect for those such as Voldemort and the Minister who can only advance their ideology through deception and murder as you well know.

“If those of superior blood and standing - such as myself of course - cannot lead by example, then perhaps we do not deserve to lead the wizard world.”

Many of the other portraits of Hogwarts’ past headmasters gasped in astonishment. The old Slytherin headmaster’s frank admissions and change of heart were unexpected. A few of the portraits applauded and nodded in agreement.

“Hear, hear... Well said Headmaster Black!” the portrait of a witch in healer’s robes commended him.

“I could not agree with Dilys more!” concurred the portrait of Armando Dippet. “Jolly good show Phineas! As headmasters, we are honour-bound by our duties to Hogwarts and to do our best by the students - each and every one of them.”

“Thank you Headmistress Derwent - and you have my gratitude Armando,” Phineas responded stiffly.

Dumbledore’s eyes began to twinkle. The portrait of Phineas Nigellus wasn’t used to being lauded by the other headmasters.

“Yes, very good indeed, Phineas!” said Dumbledore, “Thank you very kindly for your support.” Then Dumbledore addressed all of the portraits on the wall.

“Much has been said here today which was not only of a personal nature, but also some highly sensitive information which must not be imparted to others. I trust that you will all remain silent on that matter...”

~o0o~

The late summer sun sparkled on the shimmering surface of the water as Harry and Hermione walked in silence along the edge of the lake, letting the headmaster’s story of his turbulent youth sink in. They found themselves a comfortable place to sit and watch a few geese play and dive for fish.

Harry put his arm around Hermione as she wrapped hers around his waist, leaning into his shoulder.

“Poor Professor Dumbledore,” sniffled Hermione half balefully and half angrily, “That was so sad about his sister. Those awful muggle boys. It was vile and despicable what they did to her - she was so little. They deserved everything his father did to them. It’s no wonder that Dumbledore used to believe in Gellert Grindelwald’s rubbish - that wizards should rule over muggles.”

“And then to lose Ariana in the crossfire when he fought Grindelwald - his best friend,” Harry responded somberly. “I’m glad Dumbledore finally found the Resurrection Stone. That must have been horrid - living for all those years not knowing if he’d killed his own sister... At least he doesn’t have that hanging over him anymore.”

They both sat in quiet rumination for a bit. The golden ring with the cracked black gem glittered in the sunlight as it sat in the palm of Harry’s hand. Then he leaned over and kissed Hermione’s bushy head.

“And you were absolutely right about the story of the Three Brothers Hermione,” Harry murmured. “They really did create those three magical artifacts - the Deathly Hallows. I can't believe that Dumbledore has the Elder Wand. Just to think - between him and me, we have all three of them - that’s amazing!”

“We’ll have to keep that bit to ourselves,” said Hermione. “It’s better that most people think they’re a myth.”

~o0o~

The gathering in the Shrieking Shack that evening with Sirius and Lupin was more subdued than it might have been under different circumstances, but the Potters and their friends managed to summon a bit of good cheer nonetheless. Dora and Jennifer played a few tunes on guitar and piano as they had before, and after a few songs the Potters joined Lupin and Sirius in conversation.

“There’s going to be an Order meeting tomorrow night,” said Sirius, downing a shot of firewhisky. “Is it true that there will some ‘additional staff members’ when term starts? And that Draco Malfoy would be returning? That’s all Dumbledore told Remus.”

“Yeah... at least according to Percy’s letter to Ginny,” Harry replied with a sigh.

“‘Inquisitors’ he called them...” Hermione huffed crossly.

“They’re continuing the ‘investigation,’” growled Harry. “They’re going to try and get rid of Dumbledore apparently - and go after Hermione and me if they can catch us out in anything. And Draco’s being pardoned by the Minister.”

Lupin’s face fell, “Harry, you have to promise me you will keep a cool head - Azkaban may no longer be a threat, but the Ministry no doubt has some sort of detention facility...”

“I understand, Remus,” Harry interjected, “I’ll keep my nose clean and do my best to stay out of their way...”

Alarm spread across Sirius’s features and he gripped the arm of his chair tightly. “Harry, perhaps you and Hermione should leave Hogwarts until we sort this out - maybe hole up at Number Twelve for a bit.”

“What?” Harry was stunned. “I... I can’t do that - I’m not going to run away from a...”

“...From a fight Harry?” Lupin raised his eyebrows. “Is that what you were going to say?”

Harry opened and shut his mouth as his cheeks flushed. Hermione took his hand and squeezed it, saying nothing. Hermione was beginning to think that Sirius might be right, but she knew that Harry would have to make his own decision, and she was going to support him whatever it was.

“Look...” Harry began, his jaw tightening, “I can’t just not go to school - and I’m not going to hide out at Number Twelve while everyone else might be in danger...”

“Please Harry, at least consider it as an option!” Sirius pleaded. “Your safety and Hermione’s is my top concern... It might be wise to take your friends too. This isn’t the same as fighting Voldemort head on.

“Anyway, from my understanding, you and Hermione know nearly as much about using magic as most adults who have graduated Hogwarts - perhaps more even in certain subjects. The rest you can learn from books and study on your own for the immediate future.”

“Sirius is right Harry,” Lupin quietly agreed. “OWL’s and NEWT’s can wait for now if you so wish - and frankly your knowledge in some of the key subjects is advanced enough for you to bide your time. And you have demonstrated beyond a shadow of a doubt that your skills and power are prodigious. You and Hermione both could easily make a life for yourself with what you know if it came down to it.”

Harry was staggered to hear that Sirius and Remus believed that he and Hermione were knowledgeable enough to leave Hogwarts already. He glanced at Hermione and could see the trepidation in her eyes, and he knew that Sirius was right about the danger of facing a foe who hid behind a veil of legitimacy.

But it rankled Harry to shy from a challenge. It was like letting the Minister and Draco Malfoy win. Lupin, Sirius, and Hermione waited patiently for Harry to say something.

“Harry, the Order will do everything in its power to expose the Minister’s corruption to the public,” Lupin proffered as the young wizard remained silent. “Once that is achieved, we can tackle her and the Ministry directly, and throw whomever she sends to Hogwarts out on their ear now that we know Hogwarts will withstand attack.

“And I’m sure that Madame Maxime will take you and your friends at Beauxbatons in the meantime if you wish to stay with a proper school curriculum. But ultimately, the choice is yours.”

Harry closed his eyes and took a deep breath to steady himself.

Finally Harry opened his eyes and spoke again, “If I absolutely have to leave, I will - but I’ve got to at least try to stick it out for a bit. It’s not just about me and Hermione anymore... There’s all the other muggleborn to think of, and whatever happens, I’m not leaving Britain.”

“Hear hear!” said Ginny, startling the four engaged in conversation. She and Luna had stopped dancing to take a breather and overheard much of the conversation. “Luna and I are with you a hundred percent Harry... whatever you decide to do.”

“That’s right,” chimed in Luna. “If you and Hermione want to stay, then we will too. And if you want to leave, then we’ll both go with you.”

“Oh, er...” Ginny glanced at Luna, not sure what to say, as that wasn’t quite what she had meant.

Harry suddenly realised that the music had stopped. Everyone was eyeing him now - including Viktor and Neville. He swallowed nervously when it hit him that whatever decision he made would affect all of his and Hermione’s friends.

Staying was a dangerous option with the Minister’s lackeys coming to Hogwarts. But leaving didn’t seem much safer either as there was no way he was going to leave Britain or hide out indefinitely at Number Twelve.

“Of course...” Harry’s mouth was dry and he took another sip of his butterbeer. “Of course, anyone’s welcome to join me and Hermione if we go. But... but what about the Trace. Except for Dora, Viktor, and Fleur you’re all still underage...”

“Except for Daphne,” Hermione reminded Harry. “Daphne’s parents emancipated her...”

“Oh yeah...” said Harry, glancing at Daphne.

“Of course I’ll come with you guys,” Daphne quickly chimed in, eager for something to give her a sense of purpose.

“Jennifer won’t ‘ave a Trace on her,” said Dora. “She wasn’t born a wizard and she’s not been registered with the Ministry.”

“And Daddy already emancipated me a month ago...” Luna grinned.

“As did my parents,” Parvati interjected. “They emancipated me and Padma when they joined the Order in case we had to use magic outside of school...”

“Gran’ll never go for it,” said Neville glumly.

“Mum and Dad would never emancipate me either,” grumbled Ginny.

“Oh... I didn’t think of that,” said Luna sadly.

“Don’t worry Luna. I suppose I’ll be safe enough here,” Ginny sighed. “I don’t think Percy would let anything bad happen to me or Ron - he thinks he can ‘save’ us from Mum and Dad if his letter is any indication...” Ginny rolled her eyes. “...But if Harry and Hermione have to go, you should go with them...”

“I couldn’t go without you Ginny...”

“No... really! You should go if Harry and Hermione do, Luna - they’ll need all the help they can get...”

“Look... I’m really talking about staying here at Hogwarts anyway...” said Harry. “I don’t want to leave unless we really have to...”

“Either vay, Harry,” said Viktor, “I think I stay at Hogwarts to look after Lavender. I vill help other students too.”

“And we’re all staying if you do Harry...” Luna gave Harry a hard stare, having made up her mind. “But Ginny’s right - you’ll need help if you go, because I know you’re not just going to hide...”

Harry looked at Hermione again as he wavered. He wasn’t sure what to do. There was Jennifer and all of the muggleborn at Hogwarts to think about. Jennifer hadn’t said anything, but Harry could tell from the look on her face that she was prepared to join him and Hermione no matter what they decided.

Hermione put her arm around Harry and gave him a kiss. “It’s okay Harry. Obviously not everyone can come if we leave. But whatever you want to do, we’re all behind you Harry.”

Harry took off his glasses and sighed, rubbing his forehead. It looked like no matter what he decided, his and Hermione’s friends would be following his lead either way. He hated the idea of leaving anyone behind, but he knew that those who still had the Trace might be better off at Hogwarts. He set his jaw firmly as decided to go with his initial choice.

“Right then - we’ll stay at Hogwarts for now,” said Harry firmly as he gazed at his steadfast friends. “But if things get too hot for us here, we’ll go back home and work out what we can do to foil the Minister from there... and anyone without the Trace who wants to come is more than welcome to join Hermione and me.”

Lupin and Sirius smiled at each other, knowing that James and Lily would have made exactly the same decision.

~o0o~

It was still early when Harry woke and he felt at peace, Hermione’s minty breath caressing the skin of Harry’s neck, her hand resting on his chest, her hair spilling over his shoulder. He smiled, letting out a deep sigh of contentment.

Let the Minister’s agents come. He was ready. With Hermione and his friends, Harry had faced Voldemort and an army of his monsters and minions, living to tell the tale.

He began to drift through the recent memories of that battle, surprised that the images of death and carnage littering the grounds of Hogwarts hadn’t affected him as badly as he’d thought they might - especially considering that he still had the occasional bad dream about the horrible night that Voldemort had returned.

Harry definitely felt a measure of sadness and pity for those who had chosen to kill and die in the service of a madman, but mostly Harry felt happy that Hermione and his friends had survived, none the worse for the wear of battle.

Without bidding, Harry’s thoughts turned again to the story of the Three Brothers again, and the magical artifacts which they had created as he absentmindedly stroked Hermione’s tawny locks. He wasn’t really sure why his mind was making the connection, or why he kept thinking about the Hallows.

After Hermione woke, they both had a shower and dressed. It was still a bit early for breakfast, so they shared a pot of tea in their sitting room. Harry took a sip from his teacup, his thoughts still strolling down the same path they had traversed as he had awoken.

“Hermione, I keep thinking about the Hallows, and for some reason Tom Riddle comes into it - even though there doesn’t seem to be a direct connection...”

Hermione’s brows furrowed in thought. She sipped her own tea as she considered the possibilities.

“I think it must have something to do with the ‘Master of Death’ business Harry,” Hermione finally responded. “Whoever has all three Hallows is supposed to be the ‘Master of Death,’ and Voldemort was obsessed with beating Death...”

“Of course!” said Harry, smacking his forehead. “That’s it! Voldemort used Horcruxes to conquer death - and it worked for a bit until we found them all. He even called himself the Master of Death right towards the end of the battle.

“The only thing is, I don’t really understand why anyone would actually think that having the Hallows would really make someone a ‘Master of Death’...It’s rather disgusting, but Horcruxes almost make more sense in terms of actually ‘defeating’ Death.

“It’s not like the Hallows actually prevent Death - the Resurrection Stone doesn’t even really bring people back to life. Does it make any sense to you?”

Hermione shook her head. “Not really Harry! You’re right, the Resurrection Stone only brings back a person’s spirit and soul - a bit like a ghost. It’s not like they would have an actual body.”

“Right,” Harry agreed, “and the wand is just really powerful, and good for causing lots of death. And the cloak... well, it’s really just an amazingly good invisibility cloak. So why would anyone be so obsessed with having all three of them? ”

Hermione nodded in agreement.

“That’s a good point Harry. I think it’s just the legend that was built up around the Peverell brothers and their creations. Even though Hallows Seekers know the real story, they’re still enthralled by the mystique of the Myth - that the Hallows were a gift from a personification of Death.

“The Fairy Tale imbues the items with more meaning than they would otherwise have. And so Seekers believe that having all three artifacts would make them more or less invincible, which they then - perhaps on a subconscious level - equate with immortality.”

“Yeah... that makes sense,” Harry replied. “I guess most people are just scared of death - and almost everyone wants something like a Philosopher’s Stone, the Hallows, or Horcruxes. The weird thing is, I... I’m not really scared of dying myself...”

Harry swallowed as it hit him that he couldn’t let his guard down or get cocky. “I’m more frightened by the idea of you or any of our friends dying. I... I don’t think I could bear it.

“Hermione - what if I’m wrong? Am I being thick? Maybe we should all get out of here right now, before... before something bad happens...”

Hermione bit her lower lip in consternation. She put her cup of tea down on the coffee table and embraced Harry, giving him a gentle kiss.

“No Harry - you’re being very brave... being a leader,” Hermione encouraged him. “You always put others first and you don’t let being afraid stop you from confronting evil no matter how bleak the odds seem, or how anxious you might get.

“And you’ve put a lot of thought into this decision - you’re not just rushing into things bullheadedly. I'm certain that you’re doing the right thing,” Hermione concluded, kissing Harry again.

Hermione felt Harry relax in her arms. When they finished kissing, Harry smiled and gazed into her gentle eyes, feeling reassured and at peace again.

“Thanks Hermione! I needed that.”

~o0o~

Hedwig nudged Harry affectionately after wolfing down the sausage he had given her. Harry stroked her feathers, peering happily at his and Hermione’s friends as they ate breakfast in the Great Hall. Ginny thankfully seemed to have cheered up and put Percy’s letter out of her head.

Harry glanced over at the Slytherin table, seeing Theodore Nott sitting miserably by himself, clumsily spooning porridge into his mouth with his left hand - the one which still had fingers attached. Harry swallowed uncomfortably, a piece of bacon sticking in his throat.

His anger towards Nott having dissipated since Nott’s return to Hogwarts, Harry couldn’t help feeling a bit guilty. Dabbing his lips with his napkin first, Harry gave Hermione a peck on the cheek.

“I’ll be back in just a minute Hermione. Wait here...”

Hermione watched Harry amble over to the Slytherin table, smiling proudly at her husband. Harry sat himself across the table from the Slytherin boy and cleared his throat. Theodore Nott shifted awkwardly in his seat; he flushed and cast his eyes down.

“Erm...” said Harry, looking more than a bit ashamed himself. “I’m really sorry Nott. I shouldn’t have... er... done what I did to you...”

Theodore looked up at Harry, confused. “I... I don’t understand. Why are you sorry?”

“Well... er... it’s not like you were actually doing much. I was really angry with Malfoy, and you just happened to be there...”

“No!” Theodore shook his head. “No... that’s not true. I know I had it coming. I didn’t just happen to be there... I helped Draco escape and kidnap Astoria... and I’m the one who actually carried Astoria - it’s not like Draco would’ve actually done the hard work. Besides... erm...”

Theodore gulped. The next bit was the hardest to own up to, and he wasn’t sure if he could actually say it. He cast his eyes down again, his face turning an even deeper shade of red.

“Besides...” he began again, his voice hoarse, “Draco promised me a turn... a t...turn with Astoria... And I was going to...I was going to...” Nott let out a sob, tears welling in his eyes.

“...I’m really horrible... I’m an awful, disgusting person. I totally deserved what you did to me. I sometimes I wish you’d killed me so I didn’t have to feel so bad about myself...”

Harry was completely taken aback; he gaped at Nott in shock. Harry knew that Nott was remorseful, but he hadn’t really expected to hear such a frank admission. If anything, Nott’s utter contrition just made Harry feel even worse.

“Er... well... look,” said Harry, “if it’s any consolation, you didn’t get a chance to follow through. And... and you feel really bad for even just thinking about it... that’s got to count for something. And... and you saved Luna. That proves you’re not as bad as you think you are... really!

“We all told Dumbledore to let you come back to Hogwarts because we know you’ve changed... you’re not the same person anymore. What you deserve is a second chance... a chance to make things right.

“You shouldn’t have to feel so awful that you want to die... you deserve better than that as long as you do better - that’s it... that’s all you have to do - just be a kind person. And you’ll need to be strong... to be brave. Because Malfoy will probably be returning to Hogwarts in a few days with the rest of the students...”

Nott visibly paled at the revelation.

“Fuck, that’s bolloxed!” swore Nott as he massaged his forehead, looking pained. “I’d hoped I’d never see him again. I swear Potter... I don’t want anything to do with Malfoy or any of his crowd anymore.”

Nott gulped, looking fearful as the gory terrors he’d witnessed flashed before his mind. “I... I’ve seen what true evil looks like,” he gasped, “and I never want to see it again. I promise, I’ll do better... I’ll do whatever you want me to do to show you I mean it.”

“Alright then...” Harry smiled awkwardly. “I’ll hold you to that promise - I might need your help at some point, and you’ll need to keep an eye on Malfoy and whoever aligns with him when school starts. But for now, why don’t you join us for the rest of breakfast, okay?”

Theodore Nott’s eyes widened in surprise. “R...really? Are you serious... Potter?”

“Yeah,” said Harry, reaching his hand across the table, “I mean it. And my friends call me Harry...”

“Th...thanks... Harry,” Nott replied, a tear trickling down his cheek as he took Harry’s hand and shook it. “Mine usually call me Theo...”

~o0o~

Along with the others, the Potters helped Jennifer prepare for her exams. Before they knew it Wednesday was upon them. Knowing Jennifer would be spending the next six hours on written tests and practical spellwork with the professors, everyone else took a well deserved rest.

Harry and Viktor chased a Snitch on their brooms for a bit while the others flew around and tossed the quaffle through hoops. They both managed to catch it several times each. Seeing Hermione reading in the stands below, Harry figured it was time to take a break from flying and spend the rest of the day with her.

Hermione perked up when she saw Harry approaching. Grinning, she put the book in her bag and followed Harry down to the lawn. They lay on their backs in the grass, looking up at the sky as the others continued flying.

“So, what were you reading Hermione?” asked Harry.

“A ridiculously advanced Charms book from the library,” she replied, her eyes lighting up. “I was really curious as to how Dumbledore managed to turn the portrait guarding the entrance to our ‘House’ into a portal. Here let me show you...”

Hermione rolled onto her front and eagerly retrieved the book from her bag. She flicked a number of pages until she found the right one and pointed at the spell. Harry leaned over to take a look.

“Pictura Portus eh?” said Harry. “Blimey, the wand movements look complicated. So can we use this on any painting then?”

“Yes... even Muggle paintings apparently,” Hermione replied excitedly, “You can jump into the picture, and then you can pop out of the frame from any copy of it, wherever the picture might be.”

“We could go also from picture to picture just like the portraits do in the castle. We’d be able to enter and exit from any painting within the same building, but only travel between the copies of a painting from one building to another. Of course, the portal to our corridor has other charms too, to prevent anyone but us getting in.”

“Wow! That’s brilliant!” Harry’s eyes gleamed as a thought occurred to him. “That could come in really handy in a pinch Hermione. If we had to leave Hogwarts fast, we could get to the painting of Phineas Nigellus in Dumbledore’s office and exit through the copy at Number Twelve...”

Hermione gasped. “You’re right Harry... that hadn’t even occurred to me yet.”

“I bet it would have though,” said Harry with a grin. “Let’s leave the others to it for a bit then. I think you deserve a reward for finding the spell.”

~o0o~

The tinkling of piano keys and a lilting melody caught Harry’s ear. He looked up from the “ridiculously advanced” Charms book which he had been studying intently, thinking that he hadn’t noticed Jennifer or Dora returning. To his surprise, it was Hermione who was sitting at the grand piano in the corner of the Unaffiliated common room.

“That’s beautiful Hermione. I didn’t know you could play...”

“I learned how when I was little. I used to play a fair bit before I came to Hogwarts,” Hermione beamed happily at Harry’s compliment. “I wanted to see if I still knew how...”

“I’d say you do,” said Harry in admiration as Hermione’s fingers danced rapidly across the keyboard during a fast bit of the song. “What is that tune?”

“It’s Für Elise by Beethoven. I can show you how to play it if you’d like.”

“Maybe another time,” responded Harry. “Why didn’t you ever play the piano at Number Twelve?”

Hermione blushed. “I’m not sure really. I suppose I just never got around to it. There’s always been something else going on and... and I think I was just a bit embarrassed to play in front of other people in case I’d forgotten how.

“Besides,” continued Hermione, “there was so much about being a Muggle that you missed living with the Dursleys. I enjoyed spending time with you in London every chance we got - the cinema, plays, London parks, the museums...”

“The library,” Harry chortled. “Anyway Hermione, you don’t have to be embarrassed to play in front of anyone. You’re obviously brilliant at the piano - easily as good as Dora or Jennifer...”

Hermione stopped playing; she flew across the common room in a trice and pounced on Harry, pinning him to the sofa and snogging him silly. The Potters were so lost in each other that they were startled when two girls burst into the room squealing.

“I did it... I passed everything,” Jennifer shrieked gleefully.

“She was amazing!” exclaimed Dora. “Jennifer got two Outstandings and E’s on nearly everything else...”

“Well... I only got Acceptables on History of Magic and Potions,” Jennifer interjected. “But still, I never thought I’d pass those at all.”

“That’s fantastic Jen...” Harry began.

The Potters and Dora were distracted from Jennifer’s giddy exuberance when everyone else entered the common room.

“I take it you passed all of your exams then,” said Luna, beaming when she saw how cheerful Jennifer was.

“I did...” said Jennifer. “I even got Outstandings in Defence and Charms...”

“That’s brilliant Jennifer,” said Ginny. “I knew you could do it.”

Daphne and Fleur offered their congratulations as well. There was a loud cracking sound, catching everyone’s attention. Dobby had arrived with a large cake in one hand, and a full picnic basket in the other.

“Excellent timing Dobby!” Harry grinned at the happy house-elf.

“Congratulations Missy Jennifer,” squeaked Dobby. “Harry Potter asks Dobby to prepare for Missy Jennifer’s celebration.” Dobby turned beet red when Jennifer embraced him and kissed him on the cheek. Speechless, Dobby began to hyperventilate.

“D...Dobby m...must be going now....” the thrilled and embarrassed House Elf stammered. “I... I is needed in the kitchen...” Dobby vanished with a popping sound.

“Thanks Harry,” said Jennifer, a puzzled expression on her face. “But how did you know I would pass everything?”

“There was never any doubt...” Harry grinned.

“You’ve been working really hard,” said Hermione earnestly. “We knew you would make it.”

The Potters and their friends gorged themselves in the common room until they could eat and drink no more. They lazed on the sofas and chairs contentedly until it was time for Jennifer to return to the quarters which she shared with Hestia Jones.

The following morning, when the Potters arrived with Daphne, Dora and Fleur in the Great Hall, they found an exhilarated Jennifer already waiting for them. She could barely contain herself as the others seated themselves. Hermione was just about to ask her why she was so thrilled, but Jennifer burst and her words tumbled out before anyone had a chance to say anything.

“I’m going to move in with you lot,” Jennifer squealed. “Hestia told me last night when I got back to our quarters. Dumbledore told her that it would be for the best as term is going to start tomorrow.”

“Excellent,” Harry grinned. “You’ll be much safer in with the rest of us.”

“Oh,” said Daphne. “I’m the only one without a roommate at the moment - you can stay with me if you’d like.”

“I’d love that,” Jennifer beamed. “I’ll move my things in after breakfast.”

As Thursday wore on, after everyone had helped her move into Daphne’s quarters in the Unaffiliated corridor, Jennifer began to get more and more nervous. Finally the evening arrived, the night before term was set to begin. And when it came time, Jennifer climbed into her four-poster bed, feeling very anxious.

Tomorrow evening the Start of Term feast would be held, and with it would come a school full of people that Jennifer had never met. She tossed and turned, unable to get comfortable. Daphne turned on her bedside lamp and peered sympathetically at her new roommate.

“Are you alright Jennifer?” she asked.

“Er... I’m a bit frightened about tomorrow to be honest,” Jennifer admitted ruefully, “and I can’t sleep.”

Even though she’d only known Jennifer for barely a couple of weeks, Daphne’s heart went out to her. Daphne knew that Jennifer had been through a terrible ordeal, and was probably having a hard time coping with the idea of being around so many people. Daphne thought about what she would do whenever Astoria was anxious or upset, and wondered if it would be a comfort to Jennifer.

She wasn’t certain if Jennifer was ready to be that close to anyone, but Daphne supposed it wouldn’t hurt to ask if she’d like a cuddle.

“Erm... I know you don’t know me very well, but... er... if you don’t want to be alone, there’s plenty of room in my bed.”

Jennifer hesitated, considering Daphne’s offer. Jennifer supposed that even if it was a bit of a come on, she wouldn’t mind. It was true that they hadn’t been acquainted for very long, but as far as Jennifer could tell, Daphne was really sweet and there was something about her that Jennifer really liked.

Jennifer was much keener on girls than boys at the moment - in fact, despite feeling better over-all since the day she had been turned into a witch, she wasn’t certain if she’d ever really be comfortable with a boy again. She couldn’t really tell if Daphne liked girls in that way though. Maybe she was just trying to be nice. Jennifer finally decided to accept and just see where things led.

“Er... well, if you’re sure you don’t mind,” she said, hoping she didn’t sound too eager.

“Of course not...” Daphne smiled invitingly. “Come on then.”

Jennifer beamed and clambered into Daphne’s bed, pulling up the covers. She lay there for a few moments, feeling slightly awkward. She really just wanted a bit of a cuddle, but was afraid to say anything and put Daphne off her. Taking a deep breath, she finally decided to just go for it.

“Erm... would you mind just... er... just holding me for a bit Daphne?”

“I thought you’d never ask,” Daphne replied, snuggling right up next to Jennifer.

Jennifer sighed contentedly, feeling safe, and soon drifted into a sound slumber in Daphne’s arms.
Sign up to rate and review this story