Categories > Books > Harry Potter > Moments in Love

Nobody Expects the Inquisition

by Gandalfs_Beard 0 reviews

The night before the beginning of the new term...

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama - Characters: Harry,Hermione - Published: 2018-01-29 - 9361 words

0Unrated
There wasn’t much to do on Friday except to lounge around and await the arrival of the other students via the Hogwarts Express that evening. Everyone decided to make the best of it outside for as long as they could as clouds were moving in, threatening a rainy late afternoon

Jennifer joined Daphne and Parvati for a picnic with the Potters by the edge of the lake. Ginny and Luna were off snogging somewhere, and Jennifer presumed that Fleur and Dora were similarly occupied. Jennifer wasn’t sure what Viktor and Neville were up to, maybe flying around the quidditch pitch, eagerly anticipating the arrival of their girlfriends.

Parvati was animatedly engaged in conversation with the Potters. Jennifer smiled to herself when she noticed Daphne glancing wistfully in the Potters direction. It wasn’t the first time she had noticed it either.

“You like him don’t you?” Jennifer murmured.

“Er... what?” Daphne quickly looked away from the Potters, turning slightly pink.

“Harry... you like him.”

“Er... I suppose... as a friend...” But the deepening of Daphne’s blush told another story. Jennifer raised her eyebrows skeptically.

“Oh, alright then,” grumbled Daphne, knowing she’d been caught out. “I’ve liked him ever since he saved me from Draco - twice. But he’s married and Hermione’s my friend, so I know there’s nothing to be done about it.”

“Aren’t there any other boys at Hogwarts that you like?” asked Jennifer. Daphne hesitated for a moment, a pensive expression on her face.

“Well... There aren’t really any guys in Slytherin that I fancy,” Daphne replied. “And I don’t really know anyone from the other Houses, because they all tend to stay away from Slytherins. I suppose I like George Weasley a bit - he’s one of Ginny’s brothers - but he’s taken too, by Alicia Spinnet.”

Daphne sighed. “I don’t know if I’ll ever meet a boy I like at Hogwarts.”

Jennifer didn’t respond right away. She sat there thoughtfully for a minute.

“What about any girls?” Jennifer queried coyly. Well, she had to ask! The conversation had led to the perfect opportunity to put it out there.

“Oh... er...” Daphne seemed surprised by the question. “Honestly, I don’t know... I’ve never really thought about that - I’ve always liked guys. I suppose there have been a couple of girls I’ve... er... noticed - but I wasn’t sure if it really meant anything. I guess I could try and see if I liked being with a girl. What about you?”

“It really depends on the person,” said Jennifer. “I’ve always been attracted to certain guys and girls... Though I have to admit, I’m rather off guys at the moment - I’m not sure if I’d ever really be comfortable with a boy again, after... erm...”

“Yeah... I understand,” said Daphne gently, looking distraught. “My sister Astoria still has nightmares - all the time. I don’t know if she’ll ever really get over it. Draco was pretty rough with her...”

Jennifer bit her lip and sat there feeling sad for Daphne’s sister. A few minutes passed in silence. Daphne’s expression changed to one of thoughtfulness as she watched Jennifer; she wondered if there was more going on behind the conversation.

“Erm... do you... er... do you like me?” she asked Jennifer tentatively. Jennifer blushed and nodded shyly.

Daphne grinned. “Well... I suppose... maybe tonight after the start of term feast, we could... er... try snogging a bit - see if I like it...”

~o0o~

As the afternoon wore on clouds poured over the mountains and covered the sky; rain began to fall heavily and the wind came up. The Potters and most of their friends apprehensively took their seats at the Mingling Table when dusk turned into night, and watched the lightning flash across the dark clouds churning above in the enchanted ceiling as they waited.

Viktor kept Theo company at the Slytherin Table until Lavender arrived; he joined her at the Mingling Table when he heard Lavender squeal excitedly and spotted her giving Parvati and Hermione huge hugs.

After saying hi to Viktor, Harry noticed that something was quite different about Dora when she arrived with Fleur.

“What’s with the hair?” he asked with some bemusement, peering at her shoulder length ash-brown hair.

“Oh this? It’s my natural colour,” Dora muttered glumly. “It’s bloody boring innit!”

“Non, Chérie,” said Fleur. “Ees vairy beautiful...”

“You’re just sayin’ that...” Dora blushed, but smiled regardless.

“I think it’s very pretty,” said Hermione kindly.

Taking Hermione’s lead, Harry nodded quickly. “Yeah... me too!”

“How come you changed it back if you don’t like it then?” Ginny asked, her curiosity getting the better of her.

“Because I’m goin’ even deeper undercover,” sighed Dora. “Dumbledore thinks it’ll be safer if nobody from the Ministry recognises me - and most of the students ‘oo don’t know me too well won’t really notice me either. He re-registered me. I’ll be a Seventh Year student now... The only good bit is that I got to pick my last name.”

Dora’s face lit up as she grinned. “I’m Dora Underhill now!”

Hermione giggled. If Harry had been drinking, it would have sprayed out of his nose with a snort of laughter.

“I don’t get it,” said Daphne. “What’s the joke?”

Jennifer grinned, answering before the Potters or Dora got a chance to respond. “It’s a name from a famous book series called Lord of the Rings. One of the main characters changes his last name to Underhill to avoid detection by the bad guys...”

“It’s one of my favourite muggle book series,” Dora added. “It’s got magic and wizards and elves...”

“And the wizard looks just like Dumbledore,” Harry chortled.

“I’ve heard of those books,” said Luna. “Daddy researched them once when I was very little for an article about muggles who write books about wizards. I’ve never read them myself though.”

“They’re fun to read,” said Harry. “You should start with The Hobbit first though...”

Harry trailed off when he heard the sound of many footsteps approaching. Drenched students from the Hogwarts Express began to crowd into the Great Hall and take seats at their tables. As usual, Hagrid arrived with the First Years and waved at Harry and Hermione before taking a seat at the Staff-table next to Horace Slughorn.

“I wonder who that is?” Luna frowned in puzzlement when she saw two grown-up wizards who had arrived with the pupils. “They don’t look very nice.”

Everyone looked to see who Luna was talking about, presuming that they were the Inquisitors mentioned in Percy Weasley’s letter to Ginny. Harry’s stomach tightened and Hermione bristled in recognition of at least one of them.

“Alecto Carrow,” Harry muttered through gritted teeth, “But who’s that with her?”

“It’s probably her brother, Amycus,” replied Hermione.

“Oh, that reminds me Hermione... I’ve been meaning to ask you since Gringotts. How’d’you know that was Alecto?”

“That first Easter Holiday we spent at Number Twelve - Sirius and Remus found a picture of them in Sirius’s parents’ room while we were cleaning,” said Hermione. “They complained bitterly about how the Carrows managed to avoid Azkaban by claiming they were imperiused. Sirius and Remus really hated them...

“Apparently they’re particularly awful sadists. I’ll never forget some of the gruesome things that Sirius said they did,” Hermione finished, quivering angrily at the thought of them now being at Hogwarts.

Harry narrowed his eyes at the Carrows and nodded. “Oh yeah... I’d forgotten all about that. Did I ever mention you have a brilliant memory?”

“Only about a million times Harry,” said Hermione. She blushed, temporarily distracted from her crossness by Harry’s compliment.

The Carrows raised their eyebrows at the sight of the Mingling Table and the students already seated there, but otherwise gave no indication that they were witnessing anything unusual. Alecto and Amycus Carrow both engaged in conversation with Dumbledore as more and more students filled the Great Hall.

To the surprise of the Potters and their friends, the headmaster appeared to greet the Carrows quite amicably, though Professor McGonagall and Madam Pomfrey both seemed to be giving the Carrows icy death glares. Amycus Carrow waved his wand and an enormous blank screen appeared, hovering just above and behind the staff-table in front of the windows.

“What’s that?” gasped Neville. Most were bewildered, but Harry, Hermione, and Dora were simply astonished at the sight, knowing immediately what it was.

“Blimey!” said Dora. “That looks like a movie screen.”

“Movie screen?” asked Daphne.

“Yeah,” said Harry, and Hermione nodded in agreement. “Or a gigantic flat projection television...”

“Oh, right... like the muggle entertainment equipment you’ve told us about,” said Parvati as light dawned on her.

“But I thought you said electronics didn’t work in magical surroundings because of the magical interference,” said Jennifer.

“They don’t, generally speaking,” Hermione responded. “But there are some obscure charms for making electrical equipment work with magic though... Sirius and Remus found them in a book in the library of our home in London and used them. So some wizards must use the enchantments, it’s just that most British wizards and the Ministry have never been inclined to adopt much muggle technology...”

“...Except for trains and Ministry vehicles,” said Ginny. “Dad’s the only one I know who had a personal car though.”

“It ees ze same in France,” Fleur interjected as she rolled her eyes. “Though zey are not anti-muggle, ze French wizard parliament still think zat magic is superior to electricity.”

“I think it’s the same in most of Europe from what I’ve read,” added Hermione. “I met some American witches from the Salem Institute briefly at the Quidditch World Cup. I saw them using mobile phones and portable cd players - I asked them about it. Apparently American wizards even have wands designed especially to interact with electrical circuitry.”

“What about the wizard wireless though?” asked Parvati, her brows furrowing as she tried to make sense of the incongruity. “Isn’t that a bit like muggle electronics?”

Hermione shook her head, “Not really. Wizard radios are simply charmed units - just boxes with knobs really - more or less just designed to look and function like old fashioned muggle radios. There’s no actual circuitry involved.

“But judging by the fact that a fair few pop music artists are wizards, I suppose that they must use some of the charms to make their equipment work when they’re playing in wizard venues - like at the Yule Ball.”

“Cor, so that’s ’ow they do it,” Dora’s eyes popped and she looked excited. “I wondered about that. I’ve always wanted to get my ‘ands on a synth and an electric guitar, but I never knew ‘ow to make them work.”

“But why would the Ministry be bringing in muggle technology now?” Daphne frowned. “The current Minister seems as bad as Voldemort when it comes to being anti-muggle.”

Even Hermione didn’t have an answer for that one and she shrugged uncertainly, glancing at Harry questioningly to see if he had any ideas.

“The Minister is in league with the Muggle PM apparently - according to Moody,” Harry muttered darkly, comprehension setting in. “She seems more pragmatic than most older British Pureblood Supremacists.

“She’s probably not afraid to work with muggles as long as they share a similar outlook - it’s mostly halfbreeds and muggleborns that she hates. I bet the Muggle PM convinced her that television and film would be jolly useful for...”

“...Propaganda!” Hermione gasped. “Of course Harry - it would be more efficient than simply relying on the Daily Prophet. She must mean to introduce the technology - or more likely a magical version of it - like the Wizard Wireless - to the British wizard world.”

“Well, that wouldn’t be all bad would it?” asked Jennifer, who looked a bit eager. “I... I hate to admit it, but I have missed watching the telly a bit.”

Dora’s features lit up in excitement too. Muggle entertainment had always been her favourite thing about visiting relatives on her father’s side of the family.

“It just depends on the programming really,” Harry conceded. “I can’t imagine it’ll be any good while the Minister and her cronies are running it - she’s probably going to put the Daily Prophet in charge. I suppose eventually it will be a good thing for wizards. But I can’t see the Minister and her lot using it for good reasons...”

Harry caught the eye of Ron Weasley who had just entered the Great Hall with Seamus. The pair of young wizards approached the Mingling Table and Ron briefly gave his sister Ginny a hug. Ron seemed quite disturbed about something.

“Blimey Harry!” exclaimed Ron, his face ashen, “Draco Malfoy’s back. We saw him on the train...”

“The slimy git was throwin’ his weight around,” fumed Seamus Finnigan. “...actin’ like he was best friends with the Minister. So what’s tha’ all about then?”

“And is it true... did you really kill thousands of Inferi and help kill You-Know-Who?” Ron asked. “I overheard Dad telling Mum about it after he got back from the battle.”

Harry nodded, glancing anxiously at Hermione before replying, “Yeah - we all did. But try not to spread it around...”

“Bit too late for that Harry,” said Fred Weasley, who had just appeared with George behind Ron and Seamus.

“Crabbe and Goyle,” George explained breezily. “They were on the Express too. They were going on about how their fathers were knocked out by some sort of explosion when Voldy tried to stab Harry with a knife...”

“Said that Dumbledore’s lot captured them and killed loads of Mouldy’s minions,” continued Fred. “And they were bragging about how the Minister forced the Auror Office into letting their fathers go just yesterday...”

“What?” gasped Hermione in outrage.

Harry groaned. “Yeah... of course! Not surprised really...”

“According to the Junior Death Munchers their fathers got a deal for promising to help the investigation,” said George.

“That figures,” Harry sighed resignedly. “I knew that Head Auror Scrimgeour couldn’t hold onto them indefinitely. I suppose everyone will soon know that we fought in the battle too then...”

George nodded sympathetically. Fred smirked a bit.

“You should’ve seen Malfoy though,” Fred added, grinning. “He looked like he was going to wet himself when Crabbe and Goyle told him that some of the Snatchers who had been arrested with their fathers had mentioned that you lot had killed heaping mountains of Inferi...”

“Not to mention you lot wiping out a whole battalion of Giants and Trolls...” George chortled. “Malfoy didn’t look half as cocky after Crabbe and Goyle told him about that, and about how Harry KO’d the Noseless Wonder without lifting a finger...”

“There they are - with that smarmy little bastard Draco now,” said Seamus.

Everyone turned and peered in the direction that Seamus had indicated. Sure enough, Draco Malfoy was pompously swaggering into the Great Hall flanked by Crabbe and Goyle. Draco’s smug look turned into a scowl when he spotted the Potters and their friends all looking at him.

Daphne squirmed a bit closer to Harry, and he put his arm protectively around her. Harry didn’t know what came over him. Surprising himself, Harry grinned at Draco and winked.

Ron sniggered when Malfoy’s scowl turned into a look of utter dread and the Slytherin scurried to his table. “Y’know Harry, maybe it won’t be so bad if everyone knows that you helped do You-Know-Who in again and massacred an army of his monsters.”

“Yeah, you might have something there Ron,” Harry smirked. Hermione couldn’t help letting out a little giggle.

Jennifer eyed the platinum blond Slytherin and his mates curiously. So that was Draco Malfoy - the one who had hurt Daphne’s sister. Jennifer was a bit surprised at Draco’s cowardly manner.

Ron suddenly realised that there was a pretty new girl at the table with long ebony hair, and his mouth gaped open.

“Who are you then?” Ron asked. “Aren’t you a bit old for a Firsty?”

“Erm...” said Jennifer, not sure which question to answer first and feeling slightly uncomfortable as Ron continued to stare at her open-mouthed. Hermione gave Ron a bit of a look.

“Ron, this is Jennifer,” said Hermione, keeping her composure admirably. “Jennifer, this is Ron Weasley, Ginny’s brother. Fred and George are Ginny’s brothers too. And this is Seamus...”

“Er... Hello,” said Jennifer shyly as the Weasley boys and Seamus greeted her. She felt a bit too awkward to say any more than that. Thankfully, Hermione didn’t seem to mind carrying on for her.

“Jennifer’s a late-bloomer,” Hermione explained. “Jennifer only just discovered her magic this summer, and we’ve been helping the professors tutor her as much as possible so that she can join us in fifth year.”

“Oh... er... Wow! I didn’t know that was possible...” Ron gawked at Jennifer as if she was a three-headed cat. “Well... er... nice to meet you Jennifer...”

“Come on, we’d better get seated,” said George to his brothers and Seamus. “The Gryffindor table is almost full.”

Harry could see that Jennifer wasn’t sure what to make of Ron. “Don’t mind Ron too much,” he said, rolling his eyes. “He’s a bit thick sometimes - but he’s alright really... He doesn’t mean to be rude...”

“...Most of the time - I suppose...” Hermione muttered.

Harry glanced at the Slytherin table, pleased to see Theo, Blaise, and Pansy Parkinson congregating near the younger Slytherins who had been friends with Daphne’s sister. Even though Astoria hadn’t returned to Hogwarts, her friends still wanted nothing to do with Draco and his gang and they all kept shooting nasty glares at Malfoy.

Meanwhile, Draco was milking the sympathy for his one-handedness for all it was worth from many of the older Slytherins.

Soon all of the students settled, but a buzz of curiosity continued to fill the Hall as they pondered the enormous screen above the Staff Table and the three new adult wizards sitting with the professors.

Professor McGonagall arrived moments later with a tatty old hat and the Sorting of the First Years began. Jennifer watched, intrigued as the rip in the rumpled old hat opened like a mouth and it began to sing.

The Carrows both sat through the Sorting Hat’s song, their faces growing stonier and colder. The last few lines of the song were so pointed, that one could have heard a pin drop in the moment of shocked silence before the eruption of cacophony from the students. Even the professors shuffled uncomfortably in their seats and exchanged worried glances.

...Oh, know the perils, read the signs,
the warning history shows,
for our Hogwarts is in danger
from internal, deadly foes

And we must unite inside her
to face the enemy from within
I have told you, I have warned you...
let the Sorting now begin.

“Wow! That’s different,” gasped Parvati.
“I’ll say...” muttered Harry. “I didn’t know the Sorting Hat could offer advice to the whole school.”

“Daddy once told me he thought that the Sorting Hat should be Minister,” chortled Luna.

“Hasn’t the hat ever offered warnings before, then?” Jennifer asked Hermione.

Jennifer squeaked and leapt in her seat when an ethereal form glided up next to her. She still wasn’t quite used to the idea of ghosts being real, and had kept her distance over the summer. Dumbledore had warned all of the ghosts to give her space until she became more comfortable, but Sir Nicholas’s curiosity about the new girl had finally got the better of him.

“Oh, indeed it has,” proffered the nearly headless spirit with a grin. “The Sorting Hat is honour-bound to provide the residents of Hogwarts with warnings of danger whenever the school is threatened...”

Professor McGonagall stood up and strode to the fore of the Staff Table and the murmuring died down. Jennifer followed the proceedings with great interest, but she was glad that she didn’t have to face the uncertainty and anxiety that the First Years must be feeling. Jennifer knew exactly who her friends were and where she belonged.

Once all the new pupils had been sorted into their Houses, the headmaster took Professor McGonagall’s place.

“To all new and returning students, I bid you welcome,” Dumbledore said as he spread his arms invitingly, his rich voice ringing throughout the Great Hall. “This year, I would like to introduce two new staff members - Professor Alecto Carrow and her brother, Professor Amycus Carrow - and also returning Professor, Horace Slughorn.

“Beginning this year, Hogwarts will be offering a mandatory Cultural Studies course - an examination of our British Wizarding Heritage - to be taught by Amycus Carrow...”

The sour looking wizard nodded curtly at the students to a smattering of applause from the Slytherin table. Madam Pomfrey and Professor McGonagall clapped politely as well, but had difficulty hiding their disdain.

“...And although I had in mind another for the post of Defence Against the Dark Arts professor, due to last minute changes, Alecto Carrow will be taking the position,” continued the headmaster.

Hermione and Harry couldn’t help noticing Professor Snape scowling at Alecto as the Slytherin table applauded again.

“And finally,” Dumbledore went on, “we are also offering a full course in Alchemy this year after being without a full-time Alchemy professor for far too long. Welcome back Professor Slughorn!”

Professor Slughorn stood up and smiled warmly through his bushy handlebar moustache, taking a little bow. To the students, the rotund professor looked much friendlier than the Carrows, and this time more students at every table clapped and cheered. After Slughorn returned to his seat, the headmaster resumed speaking.

“And before we begin our magnificent feast, may I please direct your attention to the screen above the table. To some of you, this magical technology shall appear familiar, but for many of you, this is something entirely new, a modern marvel finally being introduced to the British wizard world.

“I have been asked to inform you that smaller versions shall be available for purchase in shops in Diagon Alley, Hogsmeade, and your local communities, and that all wizard families are to be encouraged to make these items a part of your home life.

“This new medium has much to offer us in terms of conveying information and entertainment - though I daresay it may take some getting used to.” The headmaster’s eyes twinkled as he paused for a moment.

“And now,” Dumbledore continued, “you shall bear witness to the historic first ever broadcast on the Wiz-Vision Network - a broadcast specially directed to all students at Hogwarts. Let me introduce someone who needs no introduction, our intrepid and delightful leader, Minister Dolores Umbridge.”

Harry snorted mirthfully, wondering how Dumbledore could manage to keep such a straight face. Hermione silently fumed. Gasps of amazement filled the Hall when the screen came to life, and an enormous toadlike face appeared.

“Is this on...?” the face said as it looked off-screen to the side. “Oh... we are? Yes, alright then.” Minister Umbridge’s gigantic visage seemed to peer directly at all of the students in the Great Hall and she cleared her throat.

“Hem, hem... Greetings Hogwarts students,” the Minister began, as her voice took on a honeyed girlish tone, “It pleases me greatly to announce a new era for Hogwarts, and the British Wizarding Community at large. The Ministry of Magic has always considered the education of young witches and wizards to be of utmost importance.

“The rare and splendid gifts with which we are graced are nothing if not fostered and refined by cautious guidance. Our ancient magical knowledge and skills - only employable by those of sterling magical birthright - must be passed down through the generations lest we lose them forever. Our most noble heritage and culture must be conserved and cultivated by those who find themselves drawn to the lofty vocation of educating and moulding young minds.”

Hermione rolled her eyes and snorted derisively. Harry noticed that many students were already tuning out. Even Luna’s eyes appeared to be glazing over. But a chill ran down Harry’s spine as he continued to listen.

“Many wonderful and exemplary headmasters and headmistresses of Hogwarts have proffered novel ideas to new generations of young witches and wizards through the ages. And that is to be expected, for progress is a vital and necessary element of growth and the enrichment of our lives and our culture.

“The magical device by which my countenance and speech appears before you is a perfect example of progress which can only enhance our experiences. However, progress for its own sake, without regard for the wisdom of our most noble and ancient heritage must be discouraged. As the ancient wisdom of our forebears informs us, a balance then must be struck between tradition and innovation.

“Some among us would have us dilute and contaminate our most noble and ancient heritage through miscegenation and ideologies foreign to our culture. Such unrighteous teachings do not lead to true progress, but to decline and decay, until the flower of our majestic privileges wither on the vine.

“Such decomposition of our identities, our customs, and our abilities cannot be allowed to continue unabated lest our culture be lost forever, to be little but a footnote in the annals of history as the savages and the unclean inherit the Earth.

“These ignoble practices have been promoted and encouraged with little regard for accountability and transparency. Let us move forward, then, into a new era of openness, effectiveness, and liability, intent on preserving what ought to be preserved, perfecting what needs to be perfected, and pruning wherever we find practices that ought to be prohibited.

“It is to this end then, that I implore all students to strive for the greater good of our ancient and most noble heritage, by speaking out wherever they see such unwholesome and base promulgations.

“Should you have any concerns, I encourage you to bring them to the attention of your newest instructors, Alecto and Amycus Carrow, fine, upstanding citizens both, who represent the very best our noble society has to offer. The Carrows are sensitive to the inquiries, interests, and distresses of all students. They shall give the questions and apprehensions of every pupil due consideration.

“And together we shall stride boldly into the future, our heads held high, as we forge a bright path into a robust tomorrow. And with that, dear students, both new and returning, I bid you all a stimulating and scintillating educational experience for the school year ahead.”

The screen flickered and went blank. All of the students were either utterly confounded or passed out. Crabbe and Goyle were completely zoned, drooling on the Slytherin table. Ron and Seamus didn’t look in much better shape.

The entire Hufflepuff table was in a hypnotic stupor; even half of the Ravenclaws had a look of blank oblivion and the other half were scratching their heads in bewilderment.

Even all of the professors looked dazed - including Dumbledore - and Hagrid had actually dozed off. And those at the Mingling Table looked as lost and dizzy as everyone else. Harry’s own head was swimming in circles. He felt as if a swarm of wrackspurts had nested in his brain. Harry gave his head a shake to clear it and shared a dark look with Hermione.

At one time or another, under other circumstances, Harry might have been as completely discombobulated as most of the other young witches and wizards in the Great Hall. But he knew the Minister’s intentions well, and his focus had improved immensely since Hermione had become his best friend.

“Bloody Hell Hermione!” Harry muttered. “That was the worst speech I’ve ever heard! What a load of waffle! I wonder if it was written that way on purpose to hide what she’s really on about...”

“Miscegenation!” Hermione hissed furiously. “I can’t believe that revolting, horrid witch would be so up-front about it, especially so soon after Voldemort’s defeat.”

“We’re probably the only ones that heard that bit though Hermione,” said Harry, shaking his head incredulously. “It sounds like Percy wrote her speech for her. What a meandering, repetitive piece of tripe.

“The only good thing is that so far the Minister has absolutely no idea how to use television to effectively promote her agenda - We probably won’t be so lucky once she allows the Daily Prophet to write her material, or the Prophet starts putting up their own programming.”

“You’re right Harry!” Hermione nodded. “I suppose we should count ourselves fortunate that all she did was manage to put everyone to sleep.”

Dumbledore had understood the speech all too well, but the soporific effects of the Minister’s discursive rhetoric had nonetheless managed to disengage his mental faculties. Finally Dumbledore managed to shake his own head clear and his sonorous voice rang out through the Hall, waking everyone up.

“Well, that was most... illuminating. In any case, I believe that is more than enough for start of term announcements. I am sure that you are all quite famished - tuck in.”

Harry and Hermione both ate their dinner absentmindedly, barely tasting their food, still contemplating the dark implications of the Minister’s speech. When the last pieces of treacle tart and rhubarb and custard pie were demolished, and the last scoop of trifle gobbled up, the full and happy students began to stagger to their feet.

Lavender jumped up, looking flustered and startling Viktor.

“Neville, we’re supposed to show the First Years where to go!” she shouted over the hubbub. “Sorry Viktor. I’ll see you later.”

“Oh... er... yeah. I forgot...” Neville gulped.

“Forgot what? What’s Lavender on about?” asked Harry in bewilderment.

“Erm... we’re Gryffindor prefects this year,” Neville replied, looking pasty, like he might be sick. “I only just found out from Dumbledore this afternoon... forgot to tell you Harry.” Neville turned towards his girlfriend. “Sorry Hannah... gotta go!”

“That’s alright Neville,” Hannah beamed. “I’m proud of you. Don’t look so worried - you’ll do fine. Now go!”

“Wow! That’s something,” Harry said to Hermione, grinning. “Good for Neville. He’ll be a great prefect.”

“So will Lavender,” said Hermione, smiling radiantly. “That’s brilliant! I couldn’t be happier for them both.”

“Well, I’d better be off too,” said Parvati. “I am still a Gryffindor after all. See you guys later then.”

Ginny gave Luna a hug and followed after Parvati while Luna made her way through the hall to the crowd of Ravenclaws.

“Alright, come on you lot,” said Dora to those still remaining at the Mingling Table. “We’ve got our own ‘House’ to go to,” she added with a wink.

~o0o~

Hermione sighed happily, feeling the tension drain away as Harry’s fingers kneaded the tense muscles in her neck, shoulders and upper back. Despite the more sedating and less than terrifying performance of the Minister during her first dubious attempt at influencing the public through a visual medium, the Potters were both still agitated, and Harry had thought that Hermione could use a nice massage.

Hermione was thinking of nice ways to release Harry’s tension, but she couldn’t help the intrusion of some less than pleasant thoughts.

“He’s going to try something sooner or later Harry,” murmured Hermione.

“Who... Draco?” Harry dug his knuckle into a particularly tight knot on Hermione’s shoulder blade and she let out a small moan.

“Ooh... that feels good! Yes, Malfoy - he’s planning to stir the pot. I’m sure of it,” said Hermione.

“Of course he is,” snorted Harry. “He may be a bloody coward - he never picks a fight without his gormless gorillas to protect him - but Malfoy always has some sort of dirty trick up his sleeve. And no doubt he wants revenge...”

“...And I expect he’s probably been ordered to try and provoke us by the Minister,” Hermione added. “Oooh, that’s the spot Harry...” She quivered again as elation flooded her senses.

“Well, you know I can handle a few insults Hermione... So no worries on that score...”

“But sooner or later, he’s going to try and hurt someone again,” said Hermione, “and we’ll have to stop him one way or the other.”

Harry sighed. “Well, we’ll cross that bridge when we get to it. We’ll probably have to do a bunk at that point... But hopefully Malfoy’ll be too reticent to try anything straight off, and we’ll have time to prepare.”

“I agree! Mmm... thanks Harry - that felt nice.” Hermione turned over and beamed at Harry, drawing him in for a kiss. “It’s your turn now,” she murmured, a golden gleam in her eyes.

~o0o~

Daphne lay in bed, sighing dreamily as she cuddled Jennifer. She had enjoyed kissing Jennifer far more than she had thought she would - it had been much nicer than any kisses she’d had with boys. Not that she had really had enough nice kisses from boys for a proper comparison Daphne supposed.

The only boy Daphne had tried kissing had been handsome, but she had been in third year and he in sixth year, and he had wanted much more than she was ready to give. Daphne wanted the romance and it had become obvious that he only wanted to get into her knickers and move on. The other boy had wanted to kiss Daphne and she’d let him, but it had been very uncomfortable and awkward.

Daphne had imagined how it might feel to kiss Harry Potter, and just the idea of it made her feel all warm and tingly inside - the way kissing Jennifer had felt.

~o0o~

The first full day of term after the weekend began much like any other, and the Potters were pleased that Draco indeed appeared to be avoiding them for the time being. The biggest difference at breakfast time was a three minute scene playing out on the screen above the staff table.

Images of happy young witches and wizards running through fields of flowers - then prostrating themselves obediently before Ministry officials - flashed across the giant display. At the conclusion of the sequence, bold text in a rather florid font appeared.

Educational Decree #23:
The appointment of Alecto and Amycus Carrow to the posts of Hogwarts High Inquisitors shall be acknowledged with the highest respect and obeisance by all Hogwarts Staff and Students.

This wasn’t news to the Potters and their friends, nor apparently to Draco Malfoy who appeared to be boasting about his foreknowledge to the Slytherins. But the rest of the student body buzzed with curiosity and bewilderment; nobody seemed to know what the “Inquisitor” business was all about.

However, the curiosity didn’t last very long. Everyone was far more interested in the rapidly spreading news that Harry Potter had once again been instrumental in the death of Voldemort, not to mention wiping out legions of monsters. But Harry was more prepared for being the centre of attention than he had ever been before, and he ignored all of the stares and open chatter.

Among those joining the Potters and their friends at the Mingling Table at breakfast were Dean Thomas and Susan Bones. Padma visited her sister Parvati at the Mingling Table to say hello before returning to her own table. All in all, breakfast seemed to be going rather well, a hopeful indication of a smoothly running first proper day of school.

But the illusion of normalcy was shattered when Harry and Hermione both caught Ginny shooting a malevolent glare at Cormac McLaggen - who bore a smug leering expression on his countenance as he ogled Ginny and Luna. Harry caught McLaggen’s eye and gave the Sixth Year Gryffindor an icy stare. Cormac smirked and looked away, returning to his conversation with Kenneth Towler.

“McLaggen looks a bit too happy to me Hermione,” Harry growled under his breath. “And I don’t like the way he’s still eyeing Ginny and Luna.”

“Nor do I Harry,” murmured Hermione, her nostrils flaring angrily. “I don’t know why, but I’m getting the distinct impression that he thinks he can get away with anything this year.”

At the conclusion of breakfast Harry waved the others on to their classes.

“You lot go on ahead to Potions,” said Harry to their fifth year friends, “Hermione and I will be right behind you.”

The others headed towards the dungeons as Harry and Hermione waited near the entrance to the Great Hall until Cormac McLaggen appeared with Kenneth Towler at his side.

“Oi... McLaggen...”

“What do you want Potty?” McLaggen sneered. Towler gulped and slowly put some distance between himself and McLaggen.

“I want you to stay away from my friends,” Harry replied in a measured tone. “And that includes Ginny and Luna...”

“I’m not afraid of you Potty,” the older and much larger Gryffindor retorted, smirking again. “In case you haven’t noticed, things have changed a bit around here this year. Looks like Dumbles is on his way out...”

McLaggen puffed up his chest, jutted his chin, and stepped into Harry’s ‘personal space,’ towering over him. Hermione began to bristle and she glared at McLaggen, but Harry stood his ground and smiled dangerously at Cormac.

“You’re not very quick on the uptake - are you McLaggen!?” Harry chuckled mirthlessly. “After what I did to Voldy and half of his army this summer, d’you really think I give a damn if your daddy is a personal acquaintance of the Minister?”

Hermione was so stunned at Harry’s blatant assertion that for a moment she forgot she was cross with Cormac McLaggen. There was no way that Harry could know; it had to be a bluff. But she noted with almost as much satisfaction as Harry that the accusation seemed to take some of the wind out of McLaggen’s sails. Cormac unconsciously stepped back.

“So what if he is then?” snarled McLaggen. “This is between you and me, Potter! I don’t need my father or the Minister to fight my battles - I’m not Malfoy.”

“No - you’re right... Like I said last time, you’re even stupider than he is!” Harry said coolly, pressing his advantage. “I’m only warning you this once, because I’m betting that the Carrows are more concerned about protecting a Slytherin like Malfoy than they are about protecting you! Stay... Away... From my friends!

“...Unless you want to end up with one less hand to wipe your arse with, like Malfoy... or end up worse, like Mouldy-shorts!” Harry concluded. He felt a twinge of guilt at more or less threatening McLaggen’s life - especially when he saw the look on Hermione’s face - but he hoped the bluff would be enough to make McLaggen think twice before trying anything.

“Hmmmph...” McLaggen snorted, paling slightly, wondering if Potter would really dare. He stared at Harry a moment longer, narrowing his eyes, then turned on his heel and stalked away with Towler, who kept glancing back nervously at Harry.

“If you want, we can slip some Bulbadox Powder into their pyjamas...”

Harry and Hermione both spun around quickly to see who had spoken, startled to see Fred and George grinning and standing behind them.

“Well, that’s how I got Towler in our fifth year... came up in boils all over,” said Fred with a wistful look. “He’s in our dorm, so it was easy...”

“We’d have to sneak into McLaggen’s dorm to get him though,” said George. “But that shouldn’t be too much of a problem.”

“But you two could get into serious trouble for that,” said Hermione worriedly. “Not that they don’t deserve a few boils. Well... McLaggen especially.”

“We’re not too fussed about trouble to be honest,” Fred retorted. “George and I were debating whether or not to bother with seventh year anyway.”

Hermione looked appalled at the idea of Fred and George skipping out on their last year of school. “But what about your NEWT’s?” she squeaked.

“George and I are planning on opening a joke shop,” Fred answered unconcernedly. “We don’t really need NEWT’s for that.”

“Well, thanks for the offer,” Harry chortled, cheerfully imagining McLaggen being sent to the hospital wing covered in boils. “But I think I’ve got things handled - no need for you to make a run for it just yet.”

“We’ve got a bit of market research to do for our joke shop anyway,” said George. “So it’s probably best if we try to stick it out for a bit.”

“Think about it Harry,” Fred added. “If you need anyone to cause a bit of mayhem, we’re your men.”

“I’ll keep that in mind,” Harry grinned. “Anyway... We’d better be off - Potions...”

Waving goodbye to Fred and George, Harry and Hermione made a mad dash to the dungeons. Professor Snape raised an eyebrow when he spied the latecomers.

“Er... sorry we’re late sir...” said Harry as he looked straight into Snape’s glittering dark eyes. “It won’t happen again.”

Snape peered inscrutably at Harry for a moment, then he nodded. “Be certain that it doesn’t Potter.”

Everyone else was already paired off and starting work on their potions. Jennifer glanced nervously at Harry and Hermione from the table she was working at with Daphne. The Potters peered questioningly at Snape, not certain what they were to work on as they had already learned the Draught of Peace at the beginning of the summer, and were well into Snape’s sixth year Potions book by now.

Snape strode over to the Potters’ table and handed them a vial.

“You are both familiar with Golpalott’s Laws of course...” Seeing no disagreement, Snape continued. “Today you will be working with the Third Law. This vial contains a poison... I expect you both to have the antidote on my desk by the end of class.”

Draco Malfoy glanced at the Potters, wondering why they had a different assignment. Fuming, he turned back to his own potion which appeared to be turning into sludge. Draco had two partners to make up for having only one hand, but even two partners weren’t much use when they were Crabbe and Goyle.

“You idiot,” Malfoy snapped at Crabbe. “You’re not supposed to add the powdered Moonstone yet...” When he was sure that Professor Snape wasn’t looking, Malfoy glared at the back of Snape’s head and allowed himself a few murderous thoughts.

After Harry and Hermione turned in their antidote to Snape at the end of class, it was off to History of Magic. When it came time for Arithmancy, the Potters parted company with their fellow fifth years. They didn’t meet up again until it was time for the first Defence Against the Dark Arts lesson of the new term.

“Bloody hell!” Ron grumbled when he and Seamus joined the throng heading for class. “All this OWL stuff is rubbish! Look at all the loads of homework we’ve got already. That Carrow woman better not give us any.”

Hermione rolled her eyes and struggled valiantly to not say anything

“Buck up Ron,” said Harry, grinning. “You could have Arithmancy homework like me. Divination should be a piece of cake compared to that.”

“But I’m trying out for the quidditch team this year,” Ron moaned.“I’m not going to have time for homework and practice. When am I going to get time to relax?”

At that, Hermione just couldn’t help herself. “Well you’ll just have to try and work a bit harder then, won’t you!”

It was with no small amount of apprehension that the Potters took their seats in Defence Against the Dark Arts among the other students. Jennifer slouched down behind Harry, hoping she wouldn’t be noticed, and eyed the new “professor” nervously when Alecto Carrow entered the classroom and took her place behind the teacher’s desk.

Harry felt more than a bit odd being this close to Alecto Carrow. The last time he had been this near, the icy witch had been all over him in an uncomfortably warm and affectionate manner. Of course, Alecto Carrow had believed she was fawning over her long-lost lover, Bellatrix Lestrange, at the time.

Professor Carrow’s demeanor was hard and frosty as she cast her icy gaze across the students seated before her.

“Wands away and quills out!” she snapped without greeting or introduction. Gloomily the students all returned their wands to their pockets or bags. “Wands away,” nearly always meant a thoroughly boring lesson.

“The Ministry has determined that your teaching in this subject has been quite substandard, and certainly not meeting any Ministry approved guidelines,” Professor Carrow asserted, her voice cutting like a blade sharpened to a razor’s edge. “As such, in order to achieve OWL standard competency, this class will focus on fundamentals in a thoroughly structured, theory-centric manner...”

With a snap of Professor Carrow’s wand, three bullet pointed sentences appeared on the blackboard under the heading, Course Aims.

- Understanding the theoretical principles underlying defensive magic.
- Learning to recognise situations in which defensive magic may be legally employed.
- Placing the use of defensive magic in a context for practical use.

“Right then... I presume that you all have copies of Defensive Magical Theory by Wilbert Slinkhard!” Without waiting for a response Professor Carrow barreled on, narrowing her eyes at the students. “Well let’s get to it then shall we? Turn to page five and begin reading.”

A low murmur of grumbling under breaths hovered just under the sound of flicking pages as the students started to read. Hermione glanced again at the blackboard and bit her lip in an effort to prevent herself from saying anything that she or Harry might come to regret. She noted with satisfaction that Harry was also heroically restraining himself. Unfortunately others couldn’t quite manage it.

“Er... professor, isn’t there going to be anything about using defensive spells?” asked Parvati. Hermione winced.

Her lips thinning, Professor Carrow tapped her long wand against the palm of her hand much like a nun in a Catholic school preparing her ruler for a sharp rap on someone’s knuckles.

“I normally don’t allow talking during class,” she said poisonously. “But if anyone has any questions, now is the time to get them out of the way! They will not be tolerated in the future. As to using defensive spells, I should remind you to read the blackboard and remember that this is a Magical Theory course. If that is not clear enough, then perhaps you do not belong in this class!”

“You mean we’re really not going to use magic at all?” Ron blurted out loudly in disbelief.

Harry kicked the back of Ron’s chair and hissed, “Shut-up!” under his breath. Fortunately Ron caught on and quieted, swallowing anxiously.

“Any more questions?” asked Professor Carrow, glancing around the classroom and seeing only terrified faces. “No? ... Good! Now start reading, and not another word out of any of you.”

As the “lesson” dragged on, Alecto Carrow studied the Potters and their little friends with curiosity - especially the girl with long black hair behind Harry Potter who almost looked like she could be his sister. When all went to plan, hopefully sooner rather than later, Alecto and her brother Amycus would have the lot of them in chains and they could be done with this little farce.

But Alecto reminded herself that patience was a virtue. All of the pieces were falling into place. Hogwarts would be theirs completely soon enough. And when it was, the corridors of Hogwarts would echo with the delicious screams of the mudbloods, and the delectable shrieks of any others who might dare come to their aid.

Everyone heaved deep sighs of relief as they fled the classroom when the bell sounded, glad to be shot of the class for the day. Harry peered at the class schedule to see when they would have to deal with the other Carrow, Amycus. He had a bad feeling that Amycus Carrow’s lesson would be even more odious.

“Thank Goodness!” Jennifer muttered as she scanned her own copy of the schedule, “Mr Carrow’s class is on Friday, and it’s only once a week.” Jennifer had been thoroughly creeped out by the way Alecto Carrow had looked at her and she stayed as close to Harry and Hermione as she could the rest of the day.

After dinner the Potters and most of their friends gathered in the Unaffiliated common room, which Lavender was seeing for the first time. Of course Luna and Ginny were there, curled up on a settee by the fireplace. Daphne was seated on a cozy armchair close to Jennifer’s, and Dora and Fleur lounged on one of the sofas. Viktor and Lavender reclined on another sofa near the chairs occupied by Parvati and Neville.

Harry waited for the chattering and conversation to die down before catching everyone’s attention. Then he glanced at Hermione who smiled at him and nodded encouragingly.

“Right then... er... well...” Harry began, sounding slightly hoarse. He cleared his throat, took a deep breath, and spoke with an air of authority which he still wasn’t entirely sure that he deserved. “Okay... I suppose today - our first full day of school - could have been a lot worse, and it’s clear we’ll have to stay on our toes.

“The Minister obviously doesn’t want to teach students how to defend themselves from dark magic - probably to make everyone easier to control... So we’ll keep practicing and learning how to fight by ourselves in the Room of Requirement - And I know we’ve discussed having others join us, but Hermione and I’ve been thinking, and... er... and we decided that maybe we should only invite people we can completely trust.

“I’m not sure that I want too many people knowing that we’re all training together, or where we’re training for the time-being. The less who know everything, the better. So here’s the short-list... Susan Bones, Neville’s girlfriend Hannah, Parvati’s sister Padma, and Fred and George Weasley.

“I think loads more people should learn how to fight too,” Harry continued, “But I think it would be better if the people who train with us pass it on to the others themselves in small groups. Fred and George can work with Ron and Seamus and the Gryffindor quidditch team for example.

“Cedric already knows most of this stuff from the Triwiz, and I know he taught Cho a bit. He and Susan and Hannah can pass it on to Hufflepuffs and help Cho and Padma pass it on to Ravenclaws they trust... Basically, I don’t want to let in any dolts or thickheads who might let something slip inadvertently about us and the Room of Requirement...”

“He means Ron!” Ginny conspiratorially stage-whispered to Jennifer, drawing giggles from around the room.

“Oi... I didn’t necessarily mean Ron.” Harry reddened. “I... er... I meant anyone who we don’t know very well. The only reason I didn’t include Ron is because then I would’ve had to invite Seamus and Dean, and then everyone on the quidditch team would want to know why they weren’t invited...”

“It would have just been too many,” said Hermione, coming to Harry’s rescue. “It’s safer for them and safer for us if not everyone knows everything, and if we work in smaller units - especially if someone who might give us away to the Inquisitors joined one of the groups... Harry knows that Ron would never intentionally do something like that - but others might if they were scared.

“As long as everyone stays in small autonomous groups and don’t all meet up all at once in the same time and place, most of us should still be able to stay under the radar. There are plenty of unused classrooms and I’ve found some good stealth charms that people can use to help keep their own locations hidden while they’re training.”

Harry breathed a sigh of relief and smiled gratefully at Hermione.

“Anyway,” Harry started again, “at some point, things will probably come to a head - very likely with Draco Malfoy, and maybe with Cormac McLaggen - which will cause trouble for us with the Inquisitors, and we’ll have to leave Hogwarts...

“Hermione and I are working on an escape route for us and any of you who join us just in case the Floo system is being monitored. But until then, I want to give as many people as possible who are staying at Hogwarts a fighting chance - and they’ll be able to continue after we’re gone.”

“That’s Genius!” said Ginny, eyes gleaming with excitement.

“Well, Hermione’s the genius who originally suggested it back during the Triwiz after all,” Harry grinned.

“I only suggested that eventually when Voldemort was out in the open that everyone in school should learn how to fight,” said Hermione as she turned pink.

“Yeah... but you’re also the one who pointed out that with the Ministry here, there’s no way Dumbledore could pull that off himself now,” Harry retorted.

“And you’re the one who worked out all the details of the safest way for us to do it without everyone getting caught. You really are brilliant Harry... and don’t you forget it!”

“I think we can all agree that you’re both brilliant!” Dora chuckled. “That’s an absolutely smashing idea! ... And that’s actually the way a lotta secret organisations operate - in small groups so if one goes down, the others can keep on goin’ without gettin’ caught... It just goes to show what I said before Harry - you have all the right instincts for leadership.”

“Maybe we should have a name, like the Order of the Phoenix does,” Luna eagerly suggested.

“Oh... I know... How about the Potter Brigade?” Lavender proffered.

“This isn’t about me...” Harry moaned, palming his face.

“Maybe we can call it The Ministry of Magic are Morons Club!” Ginny giggled.

“The Justice League?” said Parvati.

“Already been done!” Dora laughed.

“Er... are... erm... do you really think we need a name?” asked Neville, looking a bit worried. “I mean... er... if we’re trying to avoid the Inquisitors finding out, maybe it’s better if we don’t make it official... it won’t be like it’s a real group then.”

Hermione bit her lip and thought for a moment. “You know, that’s a very good point Neville. What do you think Harry?”

“Yeah... Yeah, that makes sense to me!” Harry agreed, nodding. “Right! Sounds like we’re good then. Hermione and I will make the arrangements and we’ll get this thing started by the end of the week...”
Sign up to rate and review this story