Categories > Original > Romance > Moving On

Moving On

by kshayko 0 reviews

Summer's parents just passed, she's transferring universities, her grandparents are old and ruining her life, and her love life is non-existent. That is until fate arrives..

Category: Romance - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama,Romance - Published: 2018-01-28 - 599 words

0Unrated
CHAPTER 1

I stepped outside onto the back porch, the cool morning air hitting my face. Day 1 of the rest of forever. I could still smell the eggs from the kitchen that my grandmother was preparing An empty stomach is an unhappy stomach, Summer. She always says. I sighed at the thought of having to return back to this house at the end of the day. I wanted to go home. I wanted to see my parents. I.Want.My.Life.Back.
About 3 months ago I lost my parents in a horrific car crash. It was fourth of July weekend and they stayed behind while I went out of town with my old high school friends, We went to Ohio for the weekend to see Mayday Parade live. You can imagine my emotions when I got the call from my Aunt Becky saying "Please come home ASAP, there's been an awful accident." I remember borrowing my best friend Stacy's car and doing 80 the whole way home. I remember arriving to the scene of the crime and seeing the white sheet draped over our old Subaru. I also remember my Aunt Becky running up to me as I began to bawl my eyes out, "Its okay baby, they never even knew what hit them." Good for them, I did. An 18 wheeler ran a stop sign and smashed into my parents car, killing both of them instantly. That doesn't mean that the sight wasn't brutal though, I will never be able to erase that image from my mind.
I also remember their funeral. Two closed caskets, probably almost 25 grieving friends, and about 20 heartbroken relatives including my grandparents and I, sitting there in the front row as the preacher began to talk about how my mother could brighten a whole room with just a smile then talking about my fathers classic car obsession. "Carter and Maura were remarkable people. They will be missed dearly."
Because of Carter and Maura's passing, and lack of life insurance, I was forced to move away to my grandparents home in Kentucky and had to transfer to a new university. Murray State University here I come. Another downside to living with my grandparents is how bitter they can be. They are my mothers parents and they have always resented my father. When my parents met my mother was 14 and my father was 15. They went their separate ways for some years then reunited when my mother was 23 and my father was 24. My father went to prison 10 days after him and my mother announced they were pregnant with me. He sold a lawn mower to a man who gave him partial payment and when the man refused to pay the rest my father broke into his garage and tried to take it back. Unfortunately the man lived right up the street from the state police barracks and my father was arrested. Ever since that moment my grandparents had resented my father. My father was incarcerated when I was born. But I could not have asked for a better father growing up, we all make mistakes. Some nights after my parents passed I could hear my grandmother say "This could have been prevented had she not gone back to Carter."
I sighed again and stepped off the back porch. I pulled out the keys to my grandfathers car but of course before I could get in my grandmother had something smart to yell to me, "SUMMER YOU BEST BE BACK HERE FOR DINNER. AND DON'T BE RUNNING OFF WITH NO BOY!" Right now the thought of dating made my stomach turn.
Sign up to rate and review this story