Categories > Anime/Manga > Yami no Matsuei > The Imaginary World

14

by LucyMayKumagoro 0 reviews

*

Category: Yami no Matsuei - Rating: R - Genres: Humor - Characters: Hisoka - Published: 2006-09-25 - Updated: 2006-09-25 - 1906 words

0Unrated
"You lied to us Mat-gwas," Tsuzuki said. "You told us that you hadn't seen Muraki when we first met you. Pele has told us otherwise." Mat-gwas trembled, tugging on the ends of his thinning hair as he sat down on the ground, looking up at them.

"I saw him in the forest. He was like a ghost, a demonic spirit of silver light. I'd never seen such a thing," Mat-gwas said with a shiver. "I didn't want to go anywhere near him, but Pele threatened me. He said he would help me pay my debt to Pele if I took him to Tenochtitlan. He knew you were coming, and had me lead you to her in his stead. When I lost you in the forest, he was angered. He took over my senses, invaded my mind --"

Mat-gwas buried his face in his hands.

"But you are a shiki!" Hisoka exclaimed, looking at the others in disbelief. "How could Muraki control him?"

"I'm only a very minor god," Mat-gwas said forlornly. "I am all but obsolete in the dreams and beliefs of humans, and my debts to other gods have depleted my powers as well."

Byakko tapped his chin thoughtfully.

"I knew that something was not right when I saw him in the village. I suppose it could be done by a being of great will, who is aware of the ancient rituals from when Eden was open to the soul spirits of mortals. The longer a spirit can survive on its own in our realm, the more tangible it becomes, and the less dependant on its terrestrial form. This was the reason mortals were cast from this place. The shiki here no longer visited the dreams of mortals, and they soon forgot how to communicate with them. Their powers had become too potent, and they had tried to take control of Eden in the same way mortals try to control the earth."

"So Muraki isn't here in the same physical sense we are," Watari said. "Nastas Greenwood must have known enough to help Muraki figure out how to enter this realm using the ancient ways he'd stumbled upon in his trance. That must mean his body is somewhere back in our realm, and the coma he's gone into is from his spirit vacating his body. Whoever took him from the hospital must be keeping his body functioning on life support until he returns."

"Then he could be anywhere, spying on us from behind the eyes of anyone," Tsuzuki said darkly.

"Well, almost anyone. It depends on their level of power, I suppose," Byakko said.

"How is it that I can't sense him anymore? That no one here can?" Hisoka asked.

Kokopelli cleared his throat, getting their attention.

"If he has enough mind over matter to possess rabbit boy over there, why wouldn't he have enough to block being sensed somehow?" the lust god asked airily, floating upside down. "That's why I prefer flesh to spirit. Much less complicated."

"Is there any way to un-summon a guardian spirit?" Jarrett asked Tsuzuki with a frown.

"Well he has a point," Hisoka said with a shrug. "Tsuzuki blocks me out all the time." Tsuzuki looked at his partner curiously, Hisoka's green eyes cast downward in a pensive way.

"And he doesn't even have Muraki's ambition," Watari said. "Or any, for that matter."

"Why does he want to go to Tenochtitlan? Did he tell you anything?" Tsuzuki asked. Mat-gwas shook his head.

"All I know is that he seeks power. And there is something in the kingdom there that will unlock it for him," Mat-gwas said.

"It is growing late," Jarrett said, gazing at the darkening jungle. "Do you have any means of getting us to the city, Kokopelli?" Jarrett stopped, looking around for the little god and not seeing him anywhere.

"He disappeared when you asked about un-summoning him," Hy said. "I think you hurt his feelings." Jarrett shook his head, sinking onto a log and grumbling beneath his breath.

"Where did Muraki leave you?" Tsuzuki asked.

"Just before those two caught up with me here," Mat-gwas said.

"How do we know he did?" Hisoka asked, narrowing his eyes at the rabbit god suspiciously.

"I could not have transformed if he were controlling me, I swear," Mat-gwas said with watery eyes.

"Well, he's lost his guide. That should slow him sufficiently for us to sleep for a few hours," Watari said.

"Right, because you're not going anywhere," Byakko said with a growl, pinning Mat-gwas to the ground. Mat-gwas dissolved into rabbit form with a squeak.

"Watari, have you got a rabbit cage in your coat?" Tsuzuki asked with a laugh.

"I'm sure I could whip up something," Watari said, the wheels in his head apparently already turning as he fished around in his pockets.

Hy gave Manauia a pat on the head.

"You did real good," Hy said. "Thanks for your help."

The little armadillo god smiled brightly before disappearing.

xxxx

"I just can't help thinking that that bastard is out there somewhere, watching us," Tsuzuki said.

"I know," Hisoka said, looking down at his hands.

"Hisoka," Tsuzuki said, moving closer to him and speaking low while the others talked amongst themselves around the campfire. "What you said earlier, about me blocking you out --"

"It's okay, Tsuzuki, I understand," Hisoka said, meeting his eyes at last. "I just find it ironic that I have to have the thoughts of everyone near me invading my mind, when the one person I want to understand, to feel --" Hisoka shook his head. Tsuzuki rested his head against Hisoka's shoulder with a sigh.

"It's not because there is anything I want to hide from you. It's because I love you. It -- it would hurt you to know these feelings sometimes," Tsuzuki said. Hisoka nodded.

"I just want to be able to share your burden," Hisoka said with a shrug. "I hate that you feel you have to deal with these things alone."

Tsuzuki turned his partner's shoulders to where he faced him, looking him in the eye and shaking his head.

"Never alone. Not anymore. I haven't been alone since you came into my life, Hisoka. Knowing you love me is what gives me the strength to bear it," Tsuzuki said, his voice choking with emotion. "I don't know how I made it all those years. I don't even know why. But it's all been worth it. I don't know what I did to deserve this, and frankly, it scares the hell out of me sometimes."

"Me too," Hisoka whispered, embracing Tsuzuki tightly. "But I know it feels better to have something worth losing than it did when I was alone."

"You'll never lose me," Tsuzuki said.

Hisoka and Tsuzuki looked back upon hearing voices, to where Hy and Jarrett seemed to be having a discussion of their own. Their words carried towards the others from where they'd stepped aside.

"I don't know what you're talking about," Hy said, turning away from his partner with a grim expression.

"You know there is no hope in this manner of involvement," Jarrett said.

"It's not what you think it is, okay? I don't want to talk about it. Besides, you're one to talk," Hy said, slumping to the ground against a tree. Jarrett sat beside him somewhat awkwardly, flinching at the remark but letting it go.

"I just wouldn't want to see you get hurt again," Jarrett said. They were silent for a moment, Hy distractedly stripping the leaves off a fern.

"I -- I guess I can understand why you'd think I'd be doing something like that," Hy said softly. "After all, I seduced your own son away from you."

"Hy," Jarrett said, turning to face his partner. "I don't think anything like that about you."

"It's true though, isn't it?" Hy asked. Jarrett shook his head.

"I'm not a man of many words, Hy, and sometimes that makes me a far better observer of things," Jarrett started, then sighed. "What I mean to say is, I know that Michael started things between you."

Hy rested his head on his drawn up knees, staring towards the camp fire.

"That don't make anything his fault, and it don't make me any better by comparison. I took him away from you, and then I drove him off to where you can't see him no more. I wouldn't blame you if you thought the worst of me for it," Hy said, his expression full of sorrow.

Jarrett cautiously reached out and patted Hy on the back.

"Hy, Michael made the decision to leave. It's not your fault," Jarrett said.

"But it is! If it weren't for me --" Hy started, tears forming in his eyes.

Jarrett's hand shook for a moment, before he stilled it on the boy's arm, drawing him into his arms and pounding him on the back nervously before letting him go. Hy stared at him wordlessly, surprised at the show of affection.

"If it weren't for you I wouldn't have tried to know my son again. I -- I wouldn't have felt capable of being that close to someone," Jarrett said, looking at Hy with a softened expression. "You're as much a son to me as he is, Hy."

Hy pulled the startled man into another hug, and began to cry. Jarrett relented from his stiffened pose, wrapping his arms around the boy comfortingly.

"I never had a daddy, Jarrett. My real daddy didn't even want me. You don't know how much that means to me," Hy said, his voice cracked with sobs.

"I didn't get a chance to be a very good father when my boys were alive. If Michael leaving was anyone's fault, it's mine. He might have turned out better than to have hurt you like he did," Jarrett said softly. Hy pulled away, wiping his face and shaking his head.

"No. It's not your fault," Hy said firmly. "I'm not mad at Michael, either." He took a deep breath, looking away. "I loved him. Still do."

"I know, Hy," Jarrett said gently, stroking the boy's loose ponytail absently. "I'm sorry that I thought --" Hy shook his head, sniffing and forcing a smile.

"No, it's okay. You're just trying to be a good daddy, right?" Hy asked, his smile brightening.

"I trust you, Hy," Jarrett said. "You've always been a good boy."

"So," Hy said slowly, pulling himself to his feet and walking away. "Does this mean Kokopelli's like my mama now?" Jarrett blinked, before leaping to feet.

"Did I mention one of the ways I failed as a father is that I didn't give out nearly enough woopings?" Jarrett said, striding quickly after Hy as he laughingly ran away.

Hisoka smiled at Tsuzuki as they went to the other side of the campfire.

"I know we probably shouldn't have heard any of that, but I'm kind of glad we did," Hisoka admitted. Tsuzuki grinned.

"See? Sometimes being a little nosy is just because you care," Tsuzuki said.

"Except when it's Watari," Hisoka grumbled.

"Yes, except when it's Watari," Tsuzuki said with laugh. He turned to Hisoka somewhat sheepishly.

"Care to venture what Jarrett was accusing Hy of that started the conversation?" Tsuzuki asked. Hisoka raised one eyebrow. "Crossed the line from concern to gossip?" Hisoka rolled his eyes. "Want to go give Watari something to be nosy about behind those trees there?" Tsuzuki asked hopefully, getting a stony glare for his effort.
Sign up to rate and review this story