Categories > Original > Romance > The Con

Chapter 1: Lying is the most fun a girl can do with her clothes on

by Hannah2 1 review

Reality Tv at it's best. Sade tries out for a reality show when her best friend con's her into it. She gets on and that's when the fun starts. Lying, Cheating and fun is all the name of the game.

Category: Romance - Rating: R - Genres: Humor, Romance - Published: 2006-10-03 - Updated: 2006-10-04 - 1546 words

0Unrated
It was 8:45 in the morning and the mall was already packed to the brim with greedy consumers darting through the mall with Gap bag's and Guess hand bags hanging on their perfectly manicured hands. The brightness of the lighting made me squint into the distance and made me look like I had Down syndrome. A very attractive look I might add. I was walking slowly through the mass, attaching my hand to the back of my best friend's shirt. She hit my hand away and mumbled something about wrinkling. I sighed and followed her to wherever she had planned on bringing me.
I had received this morning a frantic phone call from her, insisting I dress as soon as possible so I could go to the mall with her. I was reluctant but I obliged her, dressing quickly and driving to pick her up. She got in the car, with her hair in place perfectly as usual, chatting about everything but why she made me get up this early when the mall was under no threat to be destroyed in a few hours.
I realized exactly why she had dragged me to the mall, at 8:45 in the morning, when we rounded the corner and came face to face with a massive line up. A large cardboard sign dangling from the rafters that stated: "You could be the next reality star". She had dragged me here to try out for a reality TV show? I added a mental reminder that when we were by ourselves later on, I'd pinch her thigh. She hates that.

"Come on Sade!" She said over the noise of the crowd.

"Oh no" I say backing up and out of the middle of the mall "I'm not going to watch you make an ass of yourself"

"Please" She begged "I can't do this by myself"

"I bet you can" I said and shook my head "If you want to do this, go ahead but count me out of this lack luster adventure"

"Please, you owe me this" She said

"I owe you this?" I asked

"Yes, remember that time you woke me up at 7 am and asked me to drive you to your classes because your car broke down?"

"Yeah" I answered "That's an emergency incident"

"Fine" She answered "I'm calling in the massive favor then"

"What would that be?" I asked, placing my hands on my hips to show that I wasn't actually buying into this.

"I'm calling in the time I had to lie to your mom about you getting that tattoo on your back by saying you were staying at my place while you were really out with Bobby Clark getting that cute butterfly on your back"

"Oh come on" I whined "I really don't want to do this"

"I think I still have that picture of your tattoo on your back that your mom could see when will I show her, Thanks giving or Christmas?"

"Okay, fine!" I yelled again "I hate you for this, you know"

"I know" She said cutely and linked her thin arm into mine.

The line up nearly took all day but finally, we had reached the very top of the stairs that was hidden by a thick black curtain. I was bored, resorting to listening to her pop filled I pod but it was better than the deafening excited talk of many 20 something year olds trying out for the show. Patricia grabbed my hand which was spinning through the wheel. She had that green look on her face, she looked like she was about to throw up. I took the head phones out and tried as I might to comfort her.

"You wanted to do this" I said "Come on, you can do this"

"I can do this" She said

"You can, now, go fill that paper out so you can get called in" I said and turned the I pod back on. She tugged the head phone from my ear and shook her head.

"What now?" I asked

"Do it with me?" She asked

"No way" I said and promptly handed her the I pod. "I can't do that"

"You can so" She yelled back "Please; I need you to do it with me"

"Okay, okay fine" I said after catching that anxious look in her eye. Ringing her hands together like she was ringing out a dish cloth and the way her eyes roamed over the crowd.

"Thank you" She said after she handed me a piece of paper that she had stuffed in her over sized Guess purse. "I already filled it out for you"

"You really have me that figured out, eh?" I asked and rolled my eyes in irritation.

"You're my best friend, 20 years running, I think I know a thing or two about you"

Our number that we had received back at the end of the line was called up. People were being interviewed 4 at a time. At least I'd be right next to her while she was being interviewed.

"245,246,247 and 248 please come forward with your application filled out and some ID that stated you're at least 21 years of age or older" The older women with horn rimmed glasses said as we all came forward. A nervous looking girl with blonde hair and a pink bubble gum skirt on entered the black curtain. We followed in suit and went through. 4 small student style desks were lined up on the grey carpeted stage. The blonde girl was at the very end, so I followed suit and sat down next to her. Patty took her seat next to me; her interviewer was a cute blonde haired man with a "Save the Children" tee-shirt on. Once I knew she was fine, I turned to my own interviewer. She was in her late 20's, long curly brown hair topped with perfect make up, expensive perfume and a fake smile.

"Hello" She spoke "I'm Maggie Speed"

"Hello" I said and reached across the table and shook her hand "I'm Sade Matthews"

"Okay Sade" She said and smiled at me "I like your name, very sassy"

"Thank you" I said and relaxed a little into the black plastic chair

"I have some questions for you, I'd like an honest answer and we'll see if you're suitable for our little TV show here"

"Alright" I said and clasped my hands together over my knee.

"Do you feel its okay to lie?" She asked

"I do, if the situation is right" I answered "I wouldn't exactly lie to someone if it were a life or death situation but if they asked if their hair was pretty and it was a disaster, I'd lie"

"Okay" She said while writing something down on a piece of paper

"Would you lie if it suited something you wanted?" She asked

"Yeah" I answered "Sure, if I knew it was something I could use and I wouldn't get caught, I'd lie"

"Would you be able to make friends only to use that friendship against them?" She asked

"If it suited me, sure" I answered

"Good" She said and wrote some more down "Would you be able to handle having no privacy?"

"Yeah" I chuckled "I already do, I live with 3 room mates in a dorm room suite"

"Great" She said while writing that down "What do you think about reality TV?"

"I think it's cheesy" I said and rolled my eyes "I mean it's never really reality it's more like less scripted TV"

"Okay" She answered "What would you do for money, fame, a beautiful new car?"

"Anything" I said with a glimmer in my eye. She smiled at me and wrote something down. I didn't know what and for some reason, that didn't really bother me. I felt at ease with myself after answering that question. A queasy feeling in my stomach was working its way up to my throat were I felt the burn of stomach acid scald.

"Thank you" She said and stood up, shaking my hand this time "We'll call you, good luck"

"Thank you" I said as I let go of her hand. I thought I saw a look and in that look, I saw I had it. Now all I needed was a phone call to place me in a cheesy reality show.

I got up, leaving, all 4 of us leaving. Looking relieved that it was over, the girl looked sweaty but she looked much better now that she was walking out instead of walking in. She had a confident stride in her walk as she walked down those stairs and into the arms of her waiting, shrieking friends. Patty, looking defeated, walked away quickly and sat down at the first fountain she came upon.

"What is wrong with you?" I ask

"The guy who interviewed me hit on me, when I turned him down, he basically in no uncertain words, said I would never get on the show"

"You're bummed out huh?" I ask

"Yeah, pretty shitty isn't it?"

"Totally, well, those guys are assholes and they don't know what they are missing if they don't choose someone as utterly cute and charming as you"

"You're right" She laughed "Their loss; let's go shop"

"Let's" I said and took her by the hand.
Sign up to rate and review this story