Categories > Original > Romance > The Con

Chapter 2: It was all your fault I tried out!

by Hannah2 0 reviews

Sade tells her bestfriend all about it

Category: Romance - Rating: R - Genres: Humor, Romance - Published: 2006-10-03 - Updated: 2006-10-04 - 1233 words

0Unrated
Chapter 2

The light brushed through my window, it was bright and early to say the least and I had no idea why my eyes were open. I didn't have to be in class until 12 and I had finished the offending radio production essay. Sitting up in bed, I took a look at the clock. It was officially 8 am and I was wide awake. Pulling the blue covers back on my rather small dorm room bed, I got up and stretched. Throwing on some music, I started my morning work out routine. My room mate burst into her room holding the phone. She looked almost comical with her tooth brush hanging in her mouth with the phone in her hand.

"fhone fore ou" She said before leaving with her room brush still hanging out of her mouth.

"Don't you think this is a little early to be calling me, Patty?" I asked into the phone while sitting on the soft carpet of my floor.

"I assure you this is a normal calling time" The voice chuckled "This is stardom TV; we got your interview for the reality TV show and would love to have you on"

"You're kidding me right?" I asked into the phone

"You were chosen, one out of 5, to be on our program" The voice continued "We would love to see you at orientation at 9am Saturday morning and we hope you take our offer"

"I think it's an offer I can't refuse" I said and got up off the floor and onto my bed "Could I get directions to the office?"

The voice said "It's at 344 Creston street, tell the front lady your name and I'll be there to help you through the orientation, my name is Keith Richards"

"Like the rolling stones?" I asked

"Yes, like the rolling stones" Keith chuckled again

"See you there" I said and hung the phone up.

My mind began to twist, over and over like the way your stomach rolls when you're sick. I was actually going to be on a reality TV show, the very same one my very dramatic best friend wanted to be on. I pushed the thought out of my mind enough to take a shower and get dressed. The softness of my clothes slipping over my head did nothing to change my thinking patterns.
I absent mindedly chewed my nails on the drive over to my best friend, Patricia's place. I was nervous about her reaction and wondered if she would be jealous. When they were younger, a boy named Eric Reynolds who Patty had a crush on, rejected her because he had another girl in mind, me. She didn't talk to me for a whole three months and I never forgot the look of sadness on her face when she told me she didn't want to be my best friend anymore, that it would hurt to much knowing that I would date him eventually. I never planned on dating him; I never even liked the guy, so why would I date him? I guess at the age of 21 you expect her reaction to be different that seventh grade but you feared, that part of you deep down, feared history would repeat itself. The car stalled to a stop in time to park it in the nearest spot. I cursed my broken down car and slammed my hand down on its hard plastic cover that housed the dials. I pushed my door opened and stalked for most of the walk towards Patty's dorm room. I wanted to keep that anger with me because it helped me cope with my fear that Patty was going to hate me.

The door seemed to come to me faster than I had planned and the anger I was feeling from my car had already ebbed away. I was left with a knot in my stomach as my hand moved to knock on the door; the echoed sound of the knock leap through the empty wall way that was uncarpeted. Patty's room mate, with unwashed hair in a knotted ponytail and a bright pink bath robe, answered the door and let me in. She sleepily left me in the door way of the bland living room of the dorm. It was an off colored egg color, the same as a computer, and left a feeling that it was a room to a mental ward and not a dorm. Patty sleepily walked toward me, rubbing her eyes as she went. I was almost in tears by the time she got towards me, the knot in my stomach was even worst.

"What in the world are you doing here at, like, 9 am?" she asked

"I have to talk to you about something very important, Patty" I said and sat down on the grey and cream colored hard sofa in the living room

"What is so important that you had to wake me up, you don't look sick or dead" She said and sat down next to me.

"I got on" I said flatly

"Got on what?" She asked

"The reality TV show" I said trying to brace myself "I didn't mean to and I don't want you to be mad at me"

"What do you mean you got on and I didn't?" She yelled

"I guess they picked me because I'm special?" I joked. She lowered her eyes and I shut my mouth quickly. The look in her eyes, as well as the pursed lips, meant she was anger with me. This was exactly what I was expecting and it sunk my heart.

"This is so unfair, if it weren't for me, you would have never tried out" She said after getting up off the grey sofa and paced back and fourth on the pale grey carpet.

"I know" I said "You should be the one on this show but they picked me"

"You should have said no" She said and stood right in front of me "You should have said no because I'm your best friend"

"You're the one who made me try out for this stupid show and now you're just jealous that I got on and you didn't"

"It's not like I had a fair chance because if I did, I would have been picked over you"

"Patty, this attack is unfair and I'm not taking this bullshit your putting on me" I stood up and was almost nose to nose with her "I'm out of her and if you come to your senses call me"

"Whatever" She said and stormed out of the living room and slammed the door to her room loudly. It reminded me of a child who didn't get their way.

I left her dorm room almost in tears, this was exactly what I thought was going to happen. Patty was acting like a child and I was left feeling guilty. Maybe I shouldn't have taken the spot on the show but another part of me knew this was just a stupid T.V. show. I wondered if things with Patty would ever blow over. I got into my shit box car and tried to start it unsuccessfully for a few minutes. When it finally started, I drove back to my dorm and back to a safe spot. I had some packing to do and I was going to do this show in spite if I had to.



.
Sign up to rate and review this story