Categories > Cartoons > Avatar: The Last Airbender > Branches Of A Tree

The Spirit World

by shasta 0 reviews

Aang and Katara enter the spirit world...Roku holds some interesting surprises for the two.

Category: Avatar: The Last Airbender - Rating: G - Genres: Action/Adventure, Drama, Romance - Characters: Aang, Katara, Sokka, Other - Published: 2006-10-07 - Updated: 2006-10-08 - 1016 words

0Unrated
Chapter 2
The Spirit World

It was three hours later Aang, after much debate, decided Katara and he try and go to the spirit world while they set up the next camp inside an earthbended cavern (courtesy of Aang and Toph) in the ground of a dense forest. Once inside, Aang firebended a pile of wood starting up a fire. Not for warmth, but mostly for light inside the dark, hollowed out cavern.

"Aang, are you sure this is the only way for us both to speak with Roku?" Katara shifted uncomfortably.

"Well since Roku's Temple was destroyed...that would've been the other option." Aang said with a comforting laugh, trying to lighten the mood.

"If your having second thoughts Katara-." Aang began again timidly.
"No...it's just... will you protect me Aang?" Katara said tenderly.

Aang then put a hand on her cheek and she instantly felt a soft warmth radiate from it. "You mean more to me than you could possibly imagine." Aang said with love in his eyes as he began to feel lost in hers. They both just stared into each other's eyes, feeling nothing except the love between them.

"So were just supposed to sit in a hole while you two go off to the spirit world?" Sokka asked aimlessly.

His question snapped both Aang and Katara out of their trances and back to the present moment.

"uh...wha...yeah that's the plan." Aang said fumbling for words.

"Just the two of us?" Toph asked Katara eagerly with a wide grin.

"Yeah...So?" Katara asked suspiciously with an eyebrow raised.

"No reason." Toph said in a quick and dismissive manner.

"You two be good while we're gone." Aang sing-songed playfully, knowing full well what Toph was up to, even though everyone else seemed oblivious.

Aang then sat cross-legged, put his fists together in his lap, and started breathing slowly, so slowly that a complete breath took about a minute.
Katara sat next to him and did the same until the two were completely synchronized. All at once Aang's eyes and Tattoos started glowing, and he laid his hand slowly on Katara's arm.

Katara's eyes began to glow white like Aang's. "They'll be fine as long as we don't touch them." Sokka said seriously.

(Meanwhile in the spirit world)

Aang was so used to going to the spirit world that the effects of first time trips had worn off...Katara wasn't so lucky. "Aang why am I blue, and why do I feel all light headed?" Katara asked a little annoyed.

"That's what happens when you travel here." Aang replied plainly.

"Oh...I forgot to tell you, we can't bend here either." Aang said nervously.

"What...this keeps getting better and better." Katara said bleakly.

"Avatar Roku are you here?" Aang called out. Roku then appeared before Katara and Aang who both bowed in respect.

"Katara." Roku said plainly. "Avatar Roku we need your help." Aang said calmly.

"I know why you have come Aang." Roku said smiling at Katara.

"Katara you have a very rare and extraordinary gift, you have become through your close bond with Aang, an extension of his own life force, effectively become the next Avatar in the cycle even though Aang still lives." Roku explained seriously.

"I don't understand?" Katara said innocently.

"Think about it like a tree Katara, if I'm the tree then your like a branch." Aang said cheerily.

"If that's true then why haven't I ever entered the avatar state, I'm sure I was angry enough at Master Paku or Sokka to go all glowy for at least a minute?" Katara said with puzzlement.

"Even though you are able to fully master all four elements the avatar state is reserved only for the true avatar, when Aang dies whether by time or in battle you will then inherit the avatar's full power, including the avatar state, and access to the spirit world without Aang's help." Roku said plainly.

"What I found interesting Roku, is that she could already firebend with a excellent degree of control." Roku just looked at her plainly.

"Yes Aang, it is a trademark of Katara being a branch of yourself, since you have already mastered firebending, she inherently has some degree of control herself." Roku explained.
"You should have seen her airbend though, she flew like thirty feet in the air!" Aang said with an excited laugh.

"Yes that happened to me the first time I airbended as well." Roku said with a hearty laugh.

"I was always curious though Roku?" Aang asked incredulously.

"Yes Aang?" Roku replied attentively.

"Who was your airbending teacher?" Aang said plainly.

"Monk Gyatso I believe." Roku smiled.

"Wow...small world." Aang said with a laugh.

"Indeed it is." Roku said seriously.

"Aang your friend Toph will need to teach Katara earthbending, you will teach her firebending, and finally airbending, keeping true to the cycle." Roku said with caution in his voice.

"Thank you Avatar Roku for your help." Katara said as she and Aang bowed in respect to Roku who then bowed in return.

(Meanwhile back in the cavern)

Sokka came over to Toph with a blanket who was sitting in front of the small fire with her knees huddled against her chest. "You looked cold." Sokka said quietly, wrapping her shoulders in the blanket.

"Sokka I want to tell you something." Toph began quietly.

"Yeah me too, thing is I'm afraid of what it could mean if I do." Sokka said nervously.

"I think I love you Toph." Sokka said dreamily. "Wow...you too huh?" Toph said in sweet disbelief.

"What...you-." Sokka began again but was interrupted, by Toph kissing him, and by Katara and Aang come back from the spirit world to face this unexpected surprise.

"Oh my god." Katara said as her and Aang's eyes went as wide as dinner plates.

"Wow...this is seriously awkward." Aang said shifting uncomfortably. Toph quickly withdrew from Sokka, and moved away from him.

"Shut up twinkle toes." Toph laughed blushing and smiling at Sokka.

"Sokka can I talk to you...alone." Katara said bitterly.
Sign up to rate and review this story