Categories > Cartoons > Avatar: The Last Airbender > Roses of the Valley

Chapter Twenty-Five: Calm Pace

by Giroro5X 0 reviews

There's really nothing much for me to say about this chapter. I am happy to have the opportunity for character reactions that aren't typical, however. Enjoy!

Category: Avatar: The Last Airbender - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Action/Adventure, Romance - Characters: Other - Warnings: [V] - Published: 2006-10-15 - Updated: 2006-10-15 - 4895 words

0Unrated


Roses of the Valley

Chapter Twenty-Five: Calm Pace



"Still no word on the promotion?" The Fire Nation soldier stepped towards the entrance of the restaurant, peering in to search for his commander.

The colonel sat drunkenly near the kitchen, his eyes narrow as he continued muttering to himself.

"No," his partner grunted. "Every day that there's no word is another night of us having to carry him back to his quarters."

"Ah well," he smiled optimistically. "Soon enough they'll give it to him, and he'll stop doing this."

"Right." The answer was dry, the soldier making no attempt to conceal his doubt towards the notion.

"Yochi!" the colonel stumbled out of the restaurant, the patrons keeping quiet as he passed for fear of quarrel.

"It's Yoshi, sir," the first soldier corrected.

"You tellin' me m'wrong, soldjur?" His words were slurred, his head bobbing back and forth as he attempted to maintain his balance.

"Of course not sir."

"Less go," he commanded lowly as he moved forward, his steps swaying as the two soldiers remained close behind in case he were to fall. The night was quiet, the sounds of the city filling the air.

The colonel accompanied the sounds with a song, his tone erratic and broken as he wailed. The two soldiers maintained their pace, paying no attention to the incoming figure.

There was no violent exchange, no sudden bloodshed. Merely the bumping of elbows as the two men passed one another. So negligible that the figure paid no mind to it, maintaining his calm pace as he approached the restaurant.

"Hey!" the colonel turned slowly, nearly doubling over. Regaining as much composure as he was able he called out to the figure. "You lookin' t'start somethin'?!"

The figure came to a halt, smirking as he faced away from drunken fool.

The first soldier sighed, turning to face towards the stranger. He had been hoping to avoid any such incidents.

"What, too good t'turn 'round?! Fashe me, peasand!"

He turned slowly, his smirk growing into a devilish grin.

"You," the colonel growled.

The soldiers stared, each of them recognizing the figure. Their minds raced as they hoped for the situation to meet with a peaceful resolution.

"Colonel Michi," Kano nearly whispered the words, delighted by the opportunity standing before him. "You're looking well."

"Shut up," Michi spat, turning. He held no feelings of praise for the sadistic admiral, and would not waste his breath arguing with him.

"It's fine; I'll forgive your belligerent stupidity. Your reputation has already done well to prepare me for it," he quipped.

"Hey!" he whipped around, stumbling forward. "What'd you say 'bout me?!"

The soldiers stepped forward, hoping to calm the colonel.

"Don't touch me!" he slapped their hands away, taking another step towards Kano. Lifting his hand he jabbed a finger into the admiral's chest. "I said; wha'd you say 'bout me?"

"Nothing, I merely observed your outstanding unintelligence. Surely this comes as no surprise to you, I suspect you're reminded of it each day you fail to secure that promotion," he grinned.

"You!" the colonel barked as he gripped Kano's armor. "You think y'can jus' stan' there an' keep insultin' me?!"

"I don't think I can, colonel. I am. There is a key difference."

"Yer lucky I don' wipe that stupid shmile off yer face right here," he glared.

"Colonel..." A sweat had broken out over the first soldier's forehead as he placed his hand on his commander's shoulder.

"I shaid don' touch me!" he yelled loudly.

"Why colonel, your words seem to hint at a threat," the admiral strung him along with hardly any effort.

"S'no threat! I can take you any time, any place!"

"I propose we make it official then," his eyes went wide as he approached his true intentions. "An agni kai."

"Fine!" Michi growled. "Right now!"

The soldiers' eyes went wide as they realized the gravity of the situation.

"Delightful," he grinned sadistically.



"I feel we are making excellent time," Chin-Hwa smiled as he set his hat aside, nodding his head thankfully to the waitress as she filled his cup with tea.

"Yes," Liang bowed his head before sipping from his cup.

"It's because Boots is carryin' our gear for us," Gang grinned proudly as he gripped the cup. The palm of his hand grew hotter, the tea practically boiling within its container.

"Yes, he has been very helpful to us in this trip. I feel such deserves to be rewarded," the old noble reached into his pouch, drawing out some coins. "Wen Lan, would you be as kind as to purchase the best feed available for our friend?"

"Of course, lord Chin-Hwa." The young noble smiled as she rose from her seat, bowing. Taking the coins, she made her way out of the restaurant.

"I'll go too!" Li Mei mused as she followed after her friend. She had missed Kyo and Ryo, the affection that she typically showed them now granted exclusively to the komodo rhino.

"Liang, how close do you estimate us to be to Wei Min?" Wei Min had been his cousin's home for well over two decades.

"We have traveled five days at an even pace. If we leave within the hour and maintain this speed, I predict we will arrive at our destination within two days time."

"Sounds good," Gang grinned as he drank the tea. "How's the sake at this 'We Win' place?"

"Wei Min," the old noble corrected.

"Yeah, that."

Liang's fist tightened.

"The village has no noticeable outstanding export, but is renowned for the beautiful Sarugaran temple. Smaller shrines are scattered amongst the roads surrounding Wei Min," Chin-Hwa recited the history, having fond memories of visits to the village when he was younger.

"So no sake?"

Liang's fist grew tighter.

"None that are unique to the village, but I suspect Rou will have a vast collection of such."

"Sounds good! Boots and I'll have t'try some of it when we get there!"

"You cannot give a komodo rhinoceros sake," the old noble interjected.

"What? Why not?"

"It could not possibly be healthy for him."

"Fires my spirit up, it'll do the same for him! He deserves it after such a long trip!" he protested.

Liang could feel his fingernails digging into his palm.

"Li Mei seems to have some familiarity with beasts. You could consult her on the matter, though I feel I am correct."

"Wanna bet on it?" he grinned.

"How do you mean?"

"Easy. If sake's no good for Boots, you win. If it's fine, I win."

"Interesting," a slight smirk came to Chin-Hwa as he stroked his beard. "What shall we stake on this wager?"

The old guard folded his arms as he considered the matter. "You know about sake, yeah?"

"I am familiar with it, yes."

"Alright," his eyes lit up. "I win; you owe me a barrel of the best sake you can find!"

"And if I win?" His eyebrow rose up as he continued evaluating the bet.

"Hmph," he frowned as he struggled to think of something worthwhile. His expression regained its fire as he leaned towards the old noble. "You win; me and the guards'll fix up your garden."

"Oh?" There was an excitement to his voice as he grinned. He had been hoping for the garden's repair for nearly a month, resigning to the futility of the endeavor while Gang continued the training sessions there.

"So, we have a deal?"

"We do indeed," he nodded his head in consent.

"Glad to hear it! You just watch, old man..."

His words were cut off by Liang rising suddenly from his seat.

"Enough!" the messenger barked, his face tense as he stared angrily at the old guard.

"What?" Gang looked towards him curiously.

"I cannot sit idly as you continue to disrespect lord Chin-Hwa! Someone who was so kind not only to bring you into his employ, but to tolerate your inexcusable rudeness!"

Chin-Hwa stared, his eyes going soft as he realized the situation.

"You should be grateful to this man; it is his good grace that keeps you from begging in the streets! And you show your gratitude with insults and stupidity!?"

The old guard growled slightly, motioning to rise. He stopped as Chin-Hwa's arm rose up before his chest.

"Lord Chin-Hwa, I beg that you excuse my conduct, but I refuse to remain silent during such outrageous demeanor. I will meet with you and the others by the village entrance when you are ready to leave," he bowed deeply, making his way out of the restaurant.

"What's his problem?!" Gang yelled, slamming his palm against the table as he stood.

The patrons had fallen quiet when Liang rose, now turning towards the scene.

"Gang," the old noble started.

"What!?" he looked angrily towards Chin-Hwa.

"...I ask that you excuse Liang."

"Why? Thinks he can shoot his mouth off and just walk away!?"

"No," he lowered his arm as he stared towards the doorway. His hand grasped the cup of tea calmly, lifting it in his hand as he allowed it to cool.

The firebender continued staring, his eyebrow rising as he awaited a response.

"...I regard you as my equal, Gang."

The statement confused him.

"We are both willing to work hard for that which we desire. To fight until our last breath to protect that which we love. We both hope to hold onto that which we cherish until we can no longer feel it against our fingers." He sipped the tea slowly. "In this, I feel we are all equals."

There was silence as the old guard considered the words, respecting the notion.

"My cousin, Rou...Does not share this opinion." Sadness weighed his words. "Liang has spent decades experiencing the consequences of her regards for servants."

"What, she's arrogant?"

"I have said enough," he held his tongue for fear of saying something unbecoming. "Rou will speak well enough for herself when we arrive. But as we wait for such, I ask again that you please excuse Liang."

The guard looked towards the doorway, snorting slightly.

"Fine."

"My thanks," the old noble smiled softly as he lifted the cup to his mouth.

"Hey. This sake, it's gonna be good, right?" He switched the subject to something with more levity, assured that he was right in his assumption.

"It will be, if Li Mei confirms your suspicions."

"Good."

"Ah, and Gang?"

"Hmm?"

"I assume the garden will look exactly as it did prior to your arrival in Bai-Jing?"

"Sure," he grinned, well aware that he would come out victorious in their wager.



"What took you so long?" the old fisherman asked, lifting the corner of his hat to greet his apprentice.

"Sorry, I saw some soldiers arming themselves and got caught up figuring out what was going on," the boy answered, the supplies gathered carefully under each arm.

"What're they arming for?" He questioned nonchalantly as he sat up. Stretching his arms, he felt the sun touch against his aged skin.

"Looks like they're gonna try clearing the bandits out of the Howling Wind Pass again." He dropped the supplies into the boat, preparing to set sail.

"Fools," the old man grunted. "Bandits've been in the pass since I was a kid; they're not leaving those mountains anytime soon."

"There were a lot of soldiers..."

"Always are," he interrupted. "Next time you're gonna be late, be late for somethin' good." He began handing more supplies to the boy.

"I thought it was good," the apprentice muttered under his breath.

"Excuse me," a voice sounded out from the dock. The figure approached slowly.

"Yeah?" the fisherman paid no attention to the man, assuming he was merely seeking information.

"Would it be possible for you to deliver..."

"Ain't a delivery service," he grunted. "Not for people, not for objects. We're fishermen, we fish. That's it." He looked curiously at his apprentice as the boy gazed towards the figure.

The wanted posters had been removed long ago, the village focusing more on the capture of the numerous local bandits. Yet the old man was able to recognize him, staring with wide eyes.

"You're..."

Jung took another step forward, his feet pressing against the firm wood of the dock.

"I will pay for transport to Kyoshi Island."

The old man continued staring, nodding his head dumbly as he placed his palm on his apprentice's shoulder.

"Go...Go get ready to sail."

"Right," the boy nodded.

"My thanks," Jung bowed deeply, stepping down into the boat.

"Right," the fisherman continued staring, fumbling for the ropes as he untied them from the dock post. A slight grin came to his face as he helped his apprentice to ready the sails, already rehearsing how he would recount the tale to others the next day.


The seawater splashed up into a fine mist, washing over them as the boat cut through a wave. The air was crisp, the warrior enjoying the opportunity to rest. He had pushed his body since leaving Bai-Jing, running as far he was able between brief rests.

The water felt cool against his skin as it washed over them, the boy and fisherman smiling proudly that the Demon of War had chosen their vessel.



The soldiers continued making camp, two securing a perimeter as their general readied the fire.

Kyo sat quietly, watching the flames curiously as they grew. Yakone rested against him, his arms folded behind his head.

Xiu sat close to the fire, twisting some reeds she had gathered earlier in the day in an attempt to make a hat.

"So, what do we do?" one of the soldiers leaned in as they began establishing the stone tents.

"What do you mean?" the private whispered back.

"Y'know, for the tents. Do we make it so that we're one short?"

"Why would we do that?"

"So that she and the general have to share one," he smiled at the scheme, assured of its brilliance.

"No way, he'd reprimand us."

"True."

"Besides, if that happened, he's an earthbender. Couldn't he just earthbend another tent for her?"

"Also true."

"Just get back to work," he sighed as he stomped against the ground. Two large slabs of earth shot up towards one another, protecting the ground beneath it from the elements.

The general blew into the fire, the flames growing taller as he tossed more kindling on. Sitting calmly, he looked towards Xiu.

Her eyes were narrowed slightly as she focused on the reeds, her lower lip stiff. It was a habit she demonstrated each time she concentrated on something carefully. Gang had informed him of such.

He smiled, finding the feature to be charming. Glancing towards Yakone, he became suddenly aware of his lack of knowledge as to the waterbender's background and origins.

"Yakone," he started.

Xiu glanced up from the hat, Seung's voice breaking her from the focused trance.

"Yeah?" There was no movement, the waterbender keeping his eyes closed as he rested.

"I'm afraid I don't know much about you. How is it that you came to arrive in Bai-Jing?"

"Traveled with the old man, the loudmouth brat and the idiot," he shrugged as he explained. He had learned to assign nicknames to each, the ostrich horses squawking at him if he spoke their names with disapproval.

"That seems like an interesting group," he attempted to maintain the conversation, hoping to come across some common ground between the two.

"I guess." The answer gave no aid to Seung's efforts.

"Did you come across them while traveling?" The question was a stretch, the waterbender leaving him without a direction to move in.

"Nah. Found the old man near the Fire Nation, then bumped into the other two."

Xiu listened carefully, grateful for any detail she could receive in reference to lord Bo's surviving of the Fire Lord's assassination order.

"You were near the Fire Nation?"

"Yup."

"What brought you there?"

"Went there after I left the tribe."

"You left your tribe?"

"Yeah, somethin' like that." An eye opened, staring up towards the night sky.

"Why?" He squinted slightly, attempting to understand the waterbender.

"Because there just weren't enough people there that would ask me personal questions about my life," he quipped, sitting up.

The general became silent, Yakone's reaction clearly indicating that he had stepped into unwelcome territory.

"I'm going to sleep, wake me up when it's time for us to leave," he muttered as he turned towards the ostrich horse, closing his eyes.

Xiu watched him, irritated by his snapping at the general. She looked towards Seung as her hands continued toiling at the hat.

He looked towards her to see if she had noticed or perceived something he had missed in the exchange. He found no such thing, instead blushing as her eyes locked onto his.

Her cheeks flushed, smiling as she stared back down at the hat timidly. Since her youth, she had always been willing to stand up to anyone. Yet she felt an inexplicable shyness each time she looked to the earthbender's eyes.

She hoped quietly that she would gain the confidence she had with others with him, that the two would be able to interact with one another more closely.

He hoped silently for the same as he watched the fire, his face warm.

It was not long before the other soldiers had gathered near the fire, laughing as they shared stories and jokes.

Xiu laughed at each, thoroughly enjoying their tales as the hat took on a more definite shape.

Seung smiled from near the fire, contributing whatever stories he felt to be interesting while appreciating the enthusiasm of his soldiers. He glanced towards the sleeping Yakone, regretting the bold nature of his questions.

The conversation quieted as the general rose, approaching the waterbender calmly.

He pressed his foot against the ground, lifting his palms as three large sheets of earth rose up from the ground. A stone shelter formed over Kyo and Yakone, its movements having done nothing to rouse the two from their slumber.

He smiled gently as he returned to the fire, tossing some more kindling atop it before sitting. He laughed as one of the privates began recalling aloud the intense training sessions Gang held for them prior to the festival.

Xiu smiled as she watched him, his actions bringing her to admire him further. She looked back towards the project in her hands as she enjoyed the evening.



"Where is he!?" the old woman questioned angrily as Shui entered the shop.

Sun sighed at the obnoxious barking, refilling the blacksmith's cup. Her mother had been in poor temper since the waterbender fled, dispatching the firebender almost immediately to find him.

"Like I said before, I can't find him. He probably left the village," he explained as patiently as he could, tired of being sent out to find his rival time after time.

"How do I know you're not just hidin' him?" Min glared.

"Trust me, if I knew where he was, I'd turn him over to you." There was disappointment in his tone, a part of him wishing he could find the waterbender for no other reason than watching the old pain torture him.

"Feh," she muttered as she turned back to one of the patrons, filling their cup. "Fine. Get into the kitchen, I'll teach you the basics of tea when things quiet down." She bitterly accepted the waterbending coward's escape.

Shui made his way to the kitchen, brushing aside the cloth as he entered.

Bo sat at the center of the room in meditation, the kettles arranged evenly around him. The flames beneath each remained level and constant, helping to perfectly heat their contents.

"Old pain," the young firebender muttered as he sat against the wall.

The old noble opened his eyes slightly, the flames beneath the kettles flickering in brief disturbance.

"Hmm?"

"Yakone had to go and mess with her, and then run like a coward. And now she takes it all out on us."

"Hmm," he smirked as he closed his eyes once again, the flames regaining their focus.

The young firebender leaned his head back against the wall, looking towards the ceiling.

"There," she brushed the cloth dividing the kitchen and serving area aside as she entered, her expression having grown considerably less bitter since the day began.

The old noble opened his eyes, nodding his head to greet her as he continued concentrating.

She massaged her temples roughly, trying to ease the stress and aggravation the day had left upon her. She froze as she stared towards the old man, an idea coming to her.

"You play Pai Sho?"

"Hmm," he nodded slowly.

A smirk crept over her face, the game always doing well to calm any stress she sustained throughout the day. Looking towards the young firebender, she nodded her head towards the main serving area.

"You. Go out and ask Sun where my Pai Sho set is, then bring it here."

Shui rose obediently, already knowing better than to cross the old pain. He complained silently to himself as he passed her.

"Thanks for keeping the tea hot," she noted as she set the kettles aside. The shop had closed for the night, Sun and Qiu tidying up the serving area.

"Hmm." The flames beneath the kettles faded in unison.

"Busy day today," she noted as she poured him a cup of tea.

He smiled gently as he nodded, impressed by the business the shop drew in.

"People started flooding the place after Jung started coming here. Like a bunch of kids," she muttered as she placed the cup before him. "I figured they'd calm down now that he's out running that errand for old man Chin."

"Hmm," he lifted the tea, soaking in the heat of the cup against his palm as he drew it to his mouth.

"Don't get me wrong, business's always been good! That's how things are when you've got the best tea in the valley," she smirked as she boasted, readying herself a cup.

"...It is the best I have ever tasted," he offered the compliment quietly before taking another sip. The flavor was immediate, carrying softly down his throat.

"Of course it is! If there wasn't a war going on, I'd go and open another store right in the Fire Nation! Right there in the capitol! Show 'em who's boss," she sat back defiantly, taking a quick but deep sip.

"Hmm," he snorted slightly with amusement.

"Every day I'd send someone out to drop some tea off at the Fire Lord's doorstep! And there'd be a big Earth Kingdom label right there, right on the center! Just so he knew who it was from."

"When was the last time you used this thing?" Shui carried the dusty board under his arm, setting it down between the two. He removed a small sack from under his belt, placing it at the center of the board. Inside were the tiles, essential to the game.

"I only play when I'm stressed," Min explained. "Besides, if I'm gonna play, I'm gonna at least play against people who're halfway decent."

"What about your daughter?" Sun had seemed eager to get him the materials for the game, asking if he had ever played before. He had inferred from this that she held some genuine interest in the game.

"She's terrible at it," the old pain muttered.

Wiping a table in the serving area, Sun's eyebrow twitched as she glanced back towards the kitchen.

"Now get out there and help them clean up," she pointed towards the doorway as she issued the command, drawing the tiles out of the small pouch with her other hand.

"Right," he muttered as he made his way out of the kitchen, wondering why he and Bo were enduring the old woman's attitude.

"Now, where was I?" She continued setting the pieces, taking a second sip from her cup.

"Tea for the Fire Lord," he reminded her as he set his pieces.

"Right," she noted before resuming her rant.

The two sat in the kitchen playing the game as Min moved from one subject to another, the old noble smiling and appreciating the conversation.



The cold night cradled the moon high above the Fire Nation capitol, the majority of its citizens sleeping calmly.

Light and heat flooded the chamber, the admiral a silhouette before them.

The first soldier stared in horror, his partner's arm lifted over his chest to prevent him from rushing to the colonel's aid.

The other kept his arm firm, terrified that any involvement would only seal their fate. There was nothing they could do to help the colonel.

Kano chuckled softly as he felt his skin tighten, the intensity of the heat washing over him. He bathed in it, tilting his head back as he grinned psychotically.

There were no words for what stood before them, his laughter inspiring another level of fear.

"Colonel Michi," he nearly whispered the words, a sick pleasure in his tone. "I am quite glad to have run into you, this evening. I have not been this entertained in quite some time."

The column of flame trailed higher, the remains of the deceased colonel nearly indiscernible within the fiery glow. The smell of charred hair and flesh carried through the air, the admiral enjoying their scent.

"Admiral Kano," his lieutenant called out to him. Experience had taught him well to avoid visible observation of Kano's affairs. "A soldier has arrived with a message for you."

"Delightful timing," he grinned. He anticipated the contents of the message, walking slowly towards the lieutenant. He glanced towards the two soldiers sadistically, his eyes going wide as he savored their horrified expressions.

"Leave," he ordered.

The second soldier stepped back almost immediately, fearing any action that would cause the admiral to lash out at them. Grasping his partner by the shoulder, the two made their way out of the hall.

"Greetings, greetings!" the admiral spread his hands out as he welcomed the approaching soldier. "Ah, did you suffer some misfortune in your return?" he noted curiously the bandage wrapped around the soldier's arm.

"It's nothing sir, merely a scratch." He had been dispatched by Kazuki to remain with the mercenaries. He would hurry back to the Fire Nation to relay message of their victory the moment Bai-Jing fell. The plan had fallen through, Feng's blade cutting against his forearm just before engaging the other mercenaries.

"I wish you a speedy recovery then! Now tell me, what news do you bring?" he smirked.

"News of the raid on Bai-Jing," he bowed, completely unaware of Kano's reputation.

"Splendid, splendid! Please, do go on," he turned as he walked towards Michi's remains, grinning as he watched the flames cling to the blackened bones.

"My apologies sir; the mission was a complete failure."

The lieutenant's eyes went wide, glancing towards the admiral.

"The mercenaries were engaged by riders and Earth Kingdom soldiers. They were unable to reach Bai-Jing."

"What of Kazuki's team?" the lieutenant interjected.

"I was attacked early in the battle and fell back to watch from the edge of the forest. I waited for a full day, leaving only after I had confirmed Kazuki's team being escorted out by Earth Kingdom soldiers."

"Prisoners, then." The lieutenant looked back towards his superior, terrified by his silence.

"Soldier," he whispered the word, his head lifting.

"Admiral Kano," the messenger stood at attention.

"Your arm appears infected."

"Sir?" His eyes went wide as a line of flame tore against his body, launching him back. Sliding against the ground, he opened his eyes to find the admiral standing over him.

"We'll have to amputate." His expression was cold, his manner calm as he tore the soldier's arm from its socket.

The messenger screamed out in horrific pain, the cries dying out into pained sobs as he bled over the stone floor.

"Most unfortunate," Kano sighed. He stepped down from the surface, ignoring the pained squeals of the soldier.

"Sir?" the lieutenant asked nervously, not wanting to engage his short temper. "What would you have me do, sir?"

"Hmm? Ah! Nothing," he smiled. "Kazuki was foolish enough to both fail and be captured! Each day he awakens within the prison will serve as a proper reminder of his own inadequacy."

The lieutenant was horrified, aware that the admiral had spent years training his pupil. Obediently, he bowed in consent to the order.

"However, something must be done about this Kun valley!" he grinned as he began walking, his subordinate following close behind. "We simply cannot allow them the foolish notion of superiority to our might!"

"Sir, what of the Fire Lord's orders?"

"Ah yes, the Fire Lord, the Fire Lord! Something must be done about the Fire Lord," he trailed off as he considered the matter carefully.

Inner conflict tugged at the lieutenant, the admiral's words bordering on treason.

"Ah, I have it! I know what we shall do!" he smacked a fist against his open palm as they continued on, proud at his realization.

"Sir?"

"We wait for our orders," he grinned.

Any soldier new to Kano's employ would be relieved by the words, feeling them to be consenting obedience to the will of the Fire Lord. This lieutenant had spent far too long surviving the admiral's psychotic tendencies, having become well acquainted with his character.

There was treachery in Kano's intentions, that much was certain.
Sign up to rate and review this story