Categories > Books > Harry Potter > The Triangle Ritual

Two Worlds

by martinius 4 reviews

Hermione has to deal with her parents.

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: R - Genres: Drama - Characters: Harry, Hermione, Ron - Warnings: [!!!] [?] - Published: 2006-10-16 - Updated: 2006-10-16 - 3030 words

2Insightful
A/N: Many thanks to my beta-reader Anna aka Dweo. Please don't forget to have a look at her stories, too :-).

Chapter Two: Two Worlds

After the fight in the Department of Mysteries, Hermione's parents had received quite a long letter from Albus Dumbledore, in which he had explained the events and had described Hermione's involvement, without giving away too much information. To deal with Muggle parents of Hogwarts students was always a delicate affair, which the Headmaster of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry usually delegated to his Deputy Headmistress, Minerva McGonagall. But it was a special problem to inform the parents about a serious injury of their daughter, particularly as the parents didn't know anything about the current situation in the wizarding world.

When the Grangers collected Hermione at King's Cross, they knew their daughter had travelled to London, accompanied by some classmates. She had sneaked into the Ministry of Magic and had hindered a criminal from stealing an important magical object. She had been injured, but recovered within few days. Of course they had been worried, despite some letters from their daughter, alleging to be ok.

Hermione knew about Dumbledore's letter, and she knew that she would face serious questionings the moment she arrived at home. She was an only child and had to bear the whole parental love and care alone - sometimes a heavy burden for a sixteen year old girl. But she was able to handle every question and to hide any ominous information from her parents - information like the /Daily Prophet/.

Nevertheless, Mrs. Granger insisted that her daughter visited a Muggle doctor to undergo a complete medical check, and finally Hermione gave in. The care of Madam Pomfrey had been most efficient, and so the results of the check-up were quite impressive to her parents and the doctor.

"Few kids are as healthy as you, Miss Granger," he explained. "You should do some sports, but apart from that, your physical condition is great."

"Neither fast food nor cigarettes," explained Hermione laughing and shocked her mother with the amendment, "and only a little bit of alcohol."

Despite her physical condition, Hermione still had to cope mentally with the encounter at the Department of Mysteries and her serious injury. She still had nightmares about their battle with the Death Eaters, about their flight with the Thestrals and especially about Antonin Dolohov, the man who had almost killed her with a dark curse.

During her first week at home Hermione researched in Muggle libraries about aftermathes of traumatic incidents, her way to deal with the events. Soon she realised that at least Harry had needed professional help, not just after the incident in the Department of Mysteries, but since his encounter with Voldemort at the end of the Triwizard Tournament, over a year ago! But she was also aware that the wizarding world was able to mend broken bones in seconds, but didn't care for a broken mind, if it hadn't been broken by magic.

The Grangers spent the second half of July in Austria, far from the British wizarding world and far from the threats of Lord Voldemort and his Death Eaters. During these two weeks Hermione was able to forget, or at least to repress the events, and her nightmares slowly faded away. When the family boarded the airliner back to London, the world seemed to be normal again.

The very first morning after their return, Hermione came back down to earth with a bump.

Over the years her parents had got accustomed to owl post and magic owls. They had even various owl-treats for Hedwig, Pigwidgeon and the occasional school owls in stock. By now Mr. Granger was well trained in catching a letter, before it was delivered in the butter-dish. But during their first breakfast at home both Muggles and their daughter were taken aback by a large amount of owls, who delivered the last fourteen issues of the Daily Prophet, soon followed by several official looking leaflets from the Ministry of Magic, some requests for interviews, Hermione's O.W.L.-results, a letter from Ron, a short note from Harry, the usual Hogwarts letter for the next school year and a letter from Professor McGonagall asking for a meeting.

The girl didn't even try to collect the stack of papers; it was useless. The titles and photos on the front pages had caught the attention of her parents the moment the first dozen owls arrived.

HARRY POTTER: THE CHOSEN ONE? read a headline above a large image of Harry in his Quidditch robes, accompanied by two small pictures of Ron and Hermione herself. Astonishing new pictures, Hermione mused.

/LIFE SENTENCE FOR DEATH EATERS /was another headline, complemented by pictures of Lucius Malfoy and his companions and photos of the six students, who 'defeated' and 'captured' them.

"Hermione Granger: The Witch behind the Boy Who Lived," read Mrs. Granger aloud, skimming through a specimen copy of /Teen Witches/, to which an additional request for an interview was attached.

"Err... That's one of these gossip rags." Hermione said in a high pitched voice. "Don't believe anything in there."

Meanwhile Hermione's father studied the ministerial leaflets
/SECURITY GUIDELINES TO PROTECT YOU AGAINST DARK WIZARDS/,
HOW TO DETECT AND IDENTIFY DARK MAGIC,
INCREASED SECURITY MEASURES FOR WITCHES AND WIZARDS,
and/ INFORMATION FOR MUGGLE-PARENTS OF HOGWARTS-STUDENTS./

"Err... Here are my O.W.L. results," Hermione started again, while opening the letter. "O.W.L. stands for Ordinary Wizarding Level..."

Her parents looked up and stared at her.

"Eleven Os - that means Outstanding - and best of my year in all but one subjects," she continued.

Her parents still stared at her.

Eventually Mr. Granger responded. "It is good to know that you still find some time to study... with all your... extracurricular... activities," he said, waving his hand over the newspapers.

Only now they realised how little they knew about the 'other' life of their daughter, and they became aware of the war raging through the wizarding world. Nearly every single issue of the newspaper showed a photo of their daughter's close friend Harry Potter on its cover, or at least on page two, and several papers mentioned Hermione Granger fighting at his side.

The story of Sirius Black was retold, apparently inspired by anonymous ministerial sources to discredit Minister of Magic Cornelius Fudge. Of course, the narrative included a report about Black's godson Harry Potter and his friends Ronald Weasley and Hermione Granger, who had somehow managed to liberate and hide Black two years ago.

"Oh ... err ..." Hermione searched for a suitable answer. "That's no problem. Unlike Harry and Ron, I don't play Quidditch ... And ... and we did this ... usually after the exams."

Her mother still had to accept the unbelievable details of the numerous tales. "So you found the Philosopher's Stone? And the Elixir of Life?"

Somehow even the story about the Philosopher's stone had leaked out, with details about McGonagall's giant animated chess set, Sprout's sprawling Devil's Snare and Snape's various potions. Of course, some details were exorbitant exaggerated; Hermione had never seen the stone.

"Oh... No... err... Harry found it... That moment I was just looking for a teacher..."

Once they had recovered their voice, Mrs. and Mr. Granger assailed her daughter with questions and reproaches.

"Hermione, how could you hide these things from us?"

"Hermione, we believed you, and we believed in you. If only half of these stories are true, then you have lied to us since your first year at Hogwarts."

"Hermione, what have we done that you didn't trust us for so long?"

The girl took a deep breath, forcing herself to at least appear calm. "What would you've done if I'd told you everything? What? You'd taken me from school at once!"

"Of course we would have and we will," Mr. Granger stated firmly. "You won't return to that school!"

"NO!" Hermione exclaimed. "You can't do that!"

"We can and we will," he insisted. "You're irresponsible; you've endangered yourself; you've broken several laws, associated with a convicted criminal,..."

"He was innocent," she shouted, "and he was never granted a proper trial!"

"Hermione, you betrayed us for several years!"

"We cannot trust you anymore!"

"It's the bad influence of those boys and the school."

"You can't stop me," the girl yelled. "In seven weeks I'm of age and then I can go wherever I want."

"Not in our world. You'll be of age in a year and until then you'll go nowhere."

Hermione didn't answer. With her head held high, she took her O.W.L.-results and the Hogwarts letter before storming out of the kitchen into her room, slamming every door she passed. Inwardly she was a wreck. She flung herself onto the bed and buried her face in the pillow, crying. After a while her mother entered her room and sat down on the edge of her bed.

"Darling, we care for you and we are worried about you," Mrs. Granger said softly. "You have to understand that we are frightened by the stories in your papers. We only want to protect you."

When she tried to hug her daughter, the girl flinched and sobbed. "Leave me alone!" Hermione knew her parents had a point. She had betrayed them for years, but she would never, ever abandon Ron and Harry.


---

Two days later Minerva McGonagall visited the Grangers. Somehow Hermione's parents had managed to let her in without Hermione noticing, but the girl recognised the familiar voice while passing the closed door of the living room. She hesitated only a moment. Instead of disturbing the meeting, she headed for her room to get the Extendable Ear the twins had given her a year ago. Fred and George Weasley had invented Extendable Ears as tools to eavesdrop, through keyholes and over a short distance. A long, flesh-coloured string transported every noise to one's ear. Only two minutes later she was back and thrust the end of the extendable ear under the gap of the door.

Professor McGonagall was overwhelmed with reproaches, like Hermione herself had been two days ago, but her stern and self-confident poise was unshakeable, at least unshakeable by two Muggle-parents. On the contrary, the fact, that the Grangers knew about the dangers their daughter was in, simplified her task to explain the current visit. The Order of the Phoenix, a secret society to defeat dark wizards, had obtained information that Hermione might have become a prime target of You-Know-Who. At the moment Aurors of the Ministry of Magic and member of the Order were already guarding the villa, and they intended to install some magical protections around the premises, provided the Grangers granted their permission.

"And again Mr. and Mrs. Weasley offer your daughter to spend some time at their house in Devon, together with her friends. The site is nearly as well protected as Hogwarts Castle, and September first we will organise a save return to school."

"I'm sorry to reject the offer, Ms. McGonagall," answered Mr. Granger politely, "but we're going to send Hermione to relatives in Australia."

'What?' Hermione thought alarmed. An uncle lived in Melbourne, but she had seen him only twice. She was surprised and annoyed; her parents couldn't decide something like this over her head. Did they want to...

"Australia..." said McGonagall thoughtfully, "I don't know how far reaching the contacts of You-Know-Who are, but I could contact the Australian Ministry of Magic to keep an eye on your daughter. May I ask where your relatives live?"

"I'm sorry," answered Mr. Granger, "we want to keep the place secret."

The Deputy Headmistress was irritated, but she continued. "At any rate Australia is safer than this place, and I am almost certain we could set up her return to school from Australia by Portkey as well."

"Excuse me, Ms. McGonagall," Mr. Granger interjected, still as politely as before. "Just in case I haven't made myself clear, Hermione won't return to your school. She's going to attend an Australian High-School, next school year."

For several moments there was completely silent. Minerva McGonagall was apparently totally taken aback.

"Dr. Granger!" she eventually exclaimed, her voice filled with indignation. "Hermione is one of the best students I ever taught. I doubt that your daughter agrees to your plans."

"It doesn't matter whether Hermione agrees or not. Our decision stands, and we've decided what's best for her."

That was the moment Hermione chose to enter the scene, and she strode over to the adults sitting in the three-piece suite in front of the fireplace.

"Good Evening, Professor McGonagall," she greeted the teacher. "You just heard that my parents want to remove me from Hogwarts. I already knew that, but even I didn't know that they intend to push me off to Melbourne."

Every head turned in her direction.

"Hermione, did you eavesdrop?" asked her mother frowning.

"Of course I eavesdropped," answered the girl annoyed. "If you believe you can determine my future without even informing me..."

"It is not up to you to decide that," snapped Mr. Granger fiercely. "You aren't of age, and as long as we are your legal guardians..."

"I'm of age in seven weeks, and then..."

Her father rose from his chair. "Not in our world," he barked, his voice louder than before.

"Dr. Granger," McGonagall tried to intervene, "your daughter will come of age with her seventeenth birthday..."

"She won't be in Britain on her seventeenth birthday anymore. And overseas no one will know that she is a witch. Only standard laws will apply. Our laws will apply!"

"Professor," Hermione turned towards her teacher, "I once read about a law concerning Muggle-born witches and wizards. The Ministry of Magic can take Muggle-born children into custody, if their parents thwart their education."

"Hermione!" Mrs. Granger was appalled.

It was a random shot, and Hermione doubted that such a law existed. As the majority of purebloods still looked down on Muggle-born children, most of those would prefer to hinder Muggle-borns to enter the wizarding world instead of patronising them. It depended on her parents to believe in such a law. They probably would, if McGonagall didn't enlighten them about the truth.

Indeed, the Professor looked doubtingly. "Miss Granger, I don't know what..."

"Professor," the girl interrupted her quickly. "I hereby appeal to that law. I hereby appeal to the Ministry of Magic, that the Ministry takes me in custody, until I come of age."

"Hermione," shouted Mr. Granger enraged, "you won't do that!"

"I just did it, don't you get it?" shouted Hermione back. "If you think you can try to meddle in my life and ruin my future, then... then..." she gasped.

Professor McGonagall intervened in the discord, "Miss Granger, Dr. Granger, please calm down." Then she turned towards her student. "Miss Granger, I would like to speak with your parents alone," she said calmly. "I'm sure we'll find a way to solve the problem."

Hermione nodded and with an encouraging smile from her teacher she left the room. At once she tried to use her extendable ear again, but it didn't work. The Deputy Headmistress had probably cast a strong silencing spell around the room. Hermione didn't even know if it was a calm discussion or a heated dispute, and she had to wait nearly an hour before Minerva McGonagall opened the door.

"Miss Granger, may I have a word, in private?" she asked, smiling slightly. It seemed to be a good sign.

Hermione led her into the kitchen, offering a cup of tea.

"Yes, please. This might take us some time." McGonagall sat down at the small kitchen table and watched the girl filling the boiler.

"Is it always such a problem to deal with the parents of Muggle-born students?" Hermione asked, while preparing the tea leaves.

"Only in some very special cases," the teacher answered. "I know that most Muggle-born students tend to hide some facts from their parents, and in most cases I agree, that the parents shouldn't know every detail about the wizarding world."

She sighed. "In your case, Miss Granger, I expected you to be more delicate in handling your parents. I estimated you would inform your parents cautiously, but extensively enough to prepare them for a situation like this, in which they have to face nearly similar dangers as you."

"The first time I was in mortal peril, I was a twelve year old girl," Hermione answered softly, setting the tea service on the table, "and till now every year at least one time, if you count the second task of the Triwizard Tournament."

She sat down facing Minerva McGonagall. "I was thirteen when I was petrified by a Basilisk and fourteen when I was nearly demented and almost bitten by a Werewolf. With sixteen I was seriously injured by a Death-Eater. What should I have told them?"


McGonagall pensively sipped her tea. "You know your parents better than I do, but I am almost certain they would have taken the news much better, if you had informed them in small doses instead in a pile of Daily Prophet and Witch Weekly."

The teacher paused and sighed again, but then she smiled. "Finally I was able to convince your parents not to remove you from Hogwarts. I confirmed your story about laws, which allow the Ministry to take over custody of you, and they seemed to believe it."

Hermione heaved a sigh of relief.

"However, they did not allow you to visit the Burrow, as they believe it is the presence of Mr. Potter which endangers you."

"Well," said Hermione sadly, "I think I have to make some concessions. My parents complained before that they don't see me often enough."

"And," McGonagall added, "you are not allowed to leave the premises."

"What?"

"It's not a condition of your parents, but an order from Professor Dumbledore. Neither are Mr. Potter, Miss Weasley and Mr. Weasley allowed to leave the Burrow. Mr. and Mrs. Weasley already offered to take care of your school supplies. I'm certain they will hold their offer, despite that you're not at the Burrow."

Hermione nodded weakly. "It's okay. At least I'll return to Hogwarts. It's only for a month anyway."
Sign up to rate and review this story