Categories > Cartoons > Avatar: The Last Airbender > Branches Of A Tree

Duel Of The Avatars

by shasta 0 reviews

The chap. title says it all!

Category: Avatar: The Last Airbender - Rating: PG - Genres: Action/Adventure - Characters: Aang, Katara - Published: 2006-10-27 - Updated: 2006-10-28 - 614 words

0Unrated
Chapter 7
Duel Of The Avatars

Eight months later Katara finally had mastered the four elements to the best of her ability. It was the morning of Aang and Katara's duel, the air was thick with anticipation. Aang got up early to practice fire and water, which he found to be the ultimate defense and offence respectively, and in his opinion were the keys in winning any fight.

While Katara thought it best to practice earth and fire, since for her at least, they were the most difficult to master and required fierce concentration for even the most basic moves.

Two hours later Toph and Sokka were sitting on the sidelines on a fallen tree. While the two avatars were standing face-to-face, when the sun was highest in the sky, they had decided to duel near a small river to give each enough water for waterbending. "No holding back this time Aang." Katara said playfully as they bowed to each other in respect.

"I promise." Aang replied. They then dropped into their battle stances as Toph stamped her foot on the ground, signaling the start of the duel.

Katara and Aang just stood there for a moment and glared at each other, and then Aang jumped suddenly ten feet at Katara, who then knocked Aang out of the sky with a wave of water. As Aang lay there, Katara took the opportunity to summon to identical plates of earth on either side of him.
The two plates then pressed together with Aang in between them, crushing the small boy slowly.

Aang summoned a gust of air beneath him and he shot once more into the air and then quickly hit the ground, which in turn summoned a shock wave of fire at waist height. Katara then summoned an earthen shield to block the incoming heat wave.
(A/N: No pun intended)

"Looks like your losing your touch arrow head." Katara taunted.
She then shot five boulders at Aang, who just airbended them back at her.
Katara then just kicked each one aside (A/N: Like Azula, from The Drill)
and then hit Aang with a wave of water and froze it quickly encasing everything except his head in a very thick sheet of ice.

"Admit it, your defeated." Katara smirked playfully.

Aang then heated up his entire body and melted the ice, he then took a firebending stance. "I'm just getting warmed up." Aang said with confidence. He then shot seven fireballs at her along with the help of a gust of air to make them have more speed.

Katara water whipped each one away, she then summoned another wave of water and froze it, including his head, she then encapsulated his in a suit of earth and earthbended his feet in place. Toph then counted Aang out.

"One...two...three...four...five, winner by encapsulation Katara!" Toph declared proudly. Sokka ran over to his sister and hugged her gently.

"That was some of the coolest bending I've ever seen!" Sokka yelled proudly. Katara just took down both the earth and ice capsules, Aang just dropped to his knees and started laughing. Everyone then turned and stared at the giggling young boy.

"I have to admit...I never did doubt you...not for a second." Aang said to Katara smiling sweetly at her.

"Thank you Sifu Aang you have taught me much." Katara said bowing to him with the utmost respect, he then bowed in return.

"Now we really are team Avatar!" Sokka yelled with excitement.

"Sokka that Team Avatar stuff is really getting old." Katara said with a laugh. Everyone then started laughing...except for Sokka who just crossed his arms and pouted.

(End)
Sign up to rate and review this story