Categories > Cartoons > Avatar: The Last Airbender > Branches Of A Tree

Currents

by shasta 0 reviews

Azula catches up to the kids and thier forced to stay at the Southern Air Temple to complete Katara's airbending training.

Category: Avatar: The Last Airbender - Rating: PG - Genres: Drama - Characters: Aang, Katara, Sokka, Other - Published: 2006-10-26 - Updated: 2006-10-26 - 1599 words

0Unrated
Chapter 6
Currents

It was early in the morning; Aang had gotten up just as Sokka had. The girls were still asleep. "Aang go wake up Katara." Sokka said quietly pointing to the blue sleeping bag that contained the sleeping girl.

Aang then walked quietly over to the sleeping girl and shook her gently.
She then rolled over mumbling incoherently in her sleep.
"Katara." Aang whispered softly in her ear.

Katara rolled over again, now facing Aang she slowly opened her eyes and smiled when she saw him. "I had a dream about us." Katara said sweetly, before giving Aang a quick kiss.

"What happened?" Aang asked blushing.

"Well...we were about ten years older..." Katara hesitated for a moment, and looked at him with sweet loving eyes. "We had a daughter and a son." Katara said calmly.

Just then Sokka came running over to Aang and Katara with a frightened yet serious look. "We have to get out of here now, I just spotted Azula, Mai, and Ty Lee just hiking up this way!" Sokka yelled in a worried tone.

Just then Toph's earth tent retracted back into the ground and she jumped to her feet. "Well what are we standing around talking for?" Toph asked firmly running over to Appa and running up his tail to the saddle.

The other three followed suit carrying what they could with them.
When everyone had gotten situated Aang climbed on Appa's head and took hold of the reins.

"Appa yip yip!" Aang commanded calmly. The bison then took flight with a giant roar.

(Meanwhile on the ground)

"Look Azula, the bison!" Ty Lee pointed excitedly to the flying bison in sky.

"Finally, the Avatar won't escape me again." Azula said menacingly as she shot three blue fireballs from her fists in rapid succession, which were blocked by a small shield of air from Aang and his staff.

After about two hours of flying with no sign of Azula's ship Sokka asked. "Katara needs to learn airbending but we also need a place to camp, does anyone have any ideas?"

"I always thought you were the 'amazing idea guy'?" Katara asked smirking.

"How about the Southern Air Temple." Aang asked quietly.
At this everyone looked at him with a surprised expression.

"Think about it, it's almost inaccessible to anyone so it's perfect for spending a camp for a few days, plus it's the perfect place for Katara to learn airbending." Aang explained with excited eyes.

"Aang are you sure?" Katara said in a concerned tone.

"What do you mean?" Aang asked her innocently.

"It's just...I can only imagine the painful memories and emotions that something like that..." Katara began in a shaky voice, but trailed off unable to finish her sentence.
Suddenly Aang's face flushed a pale gray color as he looked into her eyes full of the same pain that he felt when they first went back there, he could feel the pain, the sympathy she felt for him.

"I try not to think about it...besides I have to put my emotions second to my duties, and right now my duty is to protect my friends and teach you airbending." Aang said in an empty, emotionless tone.

"As long as your sure." Katara said quietly.

It was sunset when the group finally arrived at the air temple, as the group started to set up camp Katara got a chill down her spine, like someone was watching them.

"Any of you sense that?" Katara said with a frightened tone of voice.

"It's ok Katara it's just the monks watching over you, they sense you." Aang said happily.

"What do you say after we finish setting up camp I give you the grand tour, maybe you'll even get more in touch with your inner airbender?" Aang asked Katara thoughtfully.

"Sounds fun." Katara said blushing slightly.

So after finding the various sleeping quarters on the third level of the temple, Sokka took to sleeping with Toph curled innocently in his arms. While Katara and Aang went off to the upper levels of the temple and he could've written a book with all he told her, they soon came upon the council chamber where Aang was first told he was the Avatar inside lined up in a row on the wall were statues of five airbenders sitting cross-legged.

Katara recognized one of them to be Monk Gyatso, but the other four were unfamiliar. "I know that's Gyatso, but who are the others Aang?"

"These are the five council members of the temple. Monk Dao, Monk Gyatso, Monk Yur, Monk Tulan, and Monk Kinsu." Aang said pointing to each statue as he said the name.

(A/N: I made up the names for the other four council members)

"Kinsu was supposedly the greatest airbender in history, rivaling even the avatar state's airbending skill and power, he was so fast he could even run across water." Aang said with the utmost respect in his voice.

"That's incredible." Katara said looking at Kinsu's statue with awe.

All of a sudden five blue colored spirits of the monks appeared from the statues standing inches away from the two kids. Who then dropped to their knees in respect.

"Rise young Avatar, why have you brought these outsiders to the temple?" Monk Kinsu began firmly.

"Surely you have sensed it, she has become a link in the Avatar cycle."
Aang began timidly.

"Yes we have but that is beside the point, the boy and his sister are water tribe and the short one is an earthbender!" Monk Yur spat angrily.

"Please forgive me, I meant no disrespect." Aang's voice was now shaky, his eyes brimming with tears.

"Aang has done as we have asked, his duty as the avatar has ended since he defeated the Fire Lord and mastered the elements, now his duty is to train the girl." Gyatso began calmly.

"Very well, your friends are welcome in the temple." Monk Kinsu sighed with defeat.

"I must ask you something before you go, if I hadn't run away would I have been able to make a difference?" Aang asked looking at Gyatso with a sullen and sad look.

"No Aang, your fate would have been the same as ours." Gyatso said with a comforting smile.

"Good bye Aang, we will meet again." Gyatso said as his spirit and the others faded back into the statues.

After the spirits of the council were gone Aang bowed to the statues showing respect once again. "Thank You." Aang said smiling as him and Katara left the council chamber.

Half and hour had gone by and the two had finally arrived in the courtyard where Aang had played with the other airbender children.

"Wow...so there were twenty thousand airbenders between the four temples."
Katara mused with amazement.

"Yeah, south, north, east and west...you want to start airbending?" Aang said with a warm smile.

"This is so exciting, I mean seriously I always saw you airbend and wished I could be an airbender do I get a staff!" Katara yelled jumping up and down excitedly with wide eyes in anticipation.

"You certainly have the enthusiasm of an airbender, and yes I'll make you your own staff." Aang laughed.

"You would do that for me?" Katara sighed dreamily wrapping him in a hug.

"Katara...you...crushing me." Aang gasped for breath as Katara squeezed him harder in the hug.

She then realized this and let him go almost immediately. "Sorry...it's just so exciting... learning how to bend air has always been a dream of mine, it's just so free and graceful." Katara said softly in an almost sad and depressed voice.

"Luckily for you it's also the easiest element to master, all it really is just circular movement with your hands and feet, and agility." Aang said with a soft smile that seemed to say 'your beautiful'.

"I've been practicing, look!" Katara said as she bended some air and made an air scooter, she tried to get on, the air bubble slip out from under her and she fell flat on her back.

"Did I mention that I'm not to good at balancing?" Katara said with a laugh.

"Yeah it takes practice, but once you get it it's pretty easy." Aang said as he helped Katara to her feet.

They practiced the basic forms all day, and by the time night came around and the moon was high in the sky Katara had mastered airbending. Katara had become so skilled with the air scooter that she beat him in a race back to Sokka's room in the temple.

"Sokka...Sokka!" Katara called excitedly, knocking on his door frantically.

The door slowly creaked open to reveal Toph in her usual clothes with a mess of scruffy hair.

"I...oh...Toph where's Sokka?" Katara asked awkwardly.

"He's here." Toph said with a smirk looking back to the sleeping teen warrior.

"Sokka." Katara said firmly loud enough so he could hear her.
Sokka's eyes snapped open and, seeing his sister, sat up in bed quickly.

"I know what your thinking, nothing happened...she just slept in my arms."
Sokka said defensively with a slight blush looking in Toph's direction.

"So where have you and twinkle toes been all day?" Toph asked quickly.

"I mastered airbending!" Katara said excitedly jumping up and down.

"In one day?" Sokka said sarcastically.

"Yeah it's actually a really simple bending art to master, look!" Katara beamed as she pushed Sokka back against a wall with a gust of air.

"Well isn't that just fabulous." Sokka said with bitter sarcasm.
Sign up to rate and review this story