Categories > Cartoons > Avatar: The Last Airbender > Branches Of A Tree

The Beauty Of The Dangerous

by shasta 0 reviews

Aang teaches Katara that theres more to firebending than hate and suffering.

Category: Avatar: The Last Airbender - Rating: PG - Genres: Action/Adventure, Drama, Romance - Characters: Aang, Katara, Sokka, Other - Published: 2006-10-17 - Updated: 2006-10-18 - 1335 words

-1OOC
Chapter 5
The Beauty Of The Dangerous

"Katara." Aang said sweetly to a sleeping Katara as the morning sun began to rise.

The young girl stirred at the sound of his voice. "Aang, what is it?" Katara asked groggily.

"Come on... there's something I think you need to see." Aang said helping Katara to her feet.

Aang had led her to the edge of a high cliff, where the sunrise of the day could easily be seen. "Why did you bring me out here?" Katara questioned the airbender impatiently.

"Look." Aang said as he gazed at the orange and yellow horizon. "Have you ever seen anything more beautiful?" Aang continued with a tear in his eye.

Katara just looked at him with awe. 'How could one person have so much appreciation for so many things?' She wondered to herself.

"Most people think fire is always a destructive killer, but it can be so beautiful at the same time, that warmth that you get for a certain person can be represented as the fire of the heart...passion." Aang told her softly.

"I never thought of fire that way, it's just so...incredible." Katara said lovingly.

"That is your first lesson in firebending." Aang began seriously. "To know the beauty of it." Aang then just stared into her eyes as she thought about what he had just said. Aang then took a deep breath and gently kissed her.
Aang then pulled away after about a minute.

"Aang I...I love you." Katara said dreamily with a smile.

"Look at your hand." Aang said pointing to her open palm, which held a small fire ball.

"Wow...it's warm, but it doesn't burn." Katara said giggling and tossing the small orange flame between her hands.

"Fire is the most difficult to master among the bending disciplines so have fun with it while you can." Aang said calmly.

"Ok what's first on the agenda for my training?" Katara asked eagerly with wide eyes. Aang then started laughing to himself.

"What's so funny?" Katara said playfully.

"I was the same way when I first learned firebending." Aang said smiling at her with a sense of seriousness in his eyes. "Try this." Aang said as he lifted his hands to the points where they were parallel with his shoulders. He then clapped his hands together and an arc of flame encircled him as he did so.

"Now that was cool!" Katara said excitedly. She then began the same maneuver, which resulted in only a puff of grey smoke.

"Put a certain emotion in the move, that's how fire is, it's very emotional." Aang said tentatively looking at her bending form.

"Stand back." Katara said in a quiet tone. Aang obeyed and went behind a tree about ten feet away.

She then closed her eyes and thought of her mother, how she was taken from her for no reason at all. Katara began to feel the pure rage and anger boil inside her stomach, she then clapped her hands together like before and a flame shot out from her hands creating an arc of flame.

"Aang, I did it!" Katara said punching a fist into the air directly above her, letting out a short stream of fire.

She then put her hand down quickly and blushed with embarrassment. "Sorry." Katara said apologetically.

Aang then got extremely jealous. "You think that's impressive...watch this."
Aang said bitterly as his arrows and eyes began to glow as he entered the avatar state. His hands then swirled around in huge circles creating a tornado of fire about five feet in diameter.

Aang then turned back to normal and turned to face Katara. "No fair you used the Avatar State." Katara laughed as she punched his arm jokingly.

"You can't compete with me, I'm the Avatar." Aang laughed with a smirk.

"Boys." Katara said sarcastically rolling her eyes.

For the rest of the day, Aang taught her mostly how to breath, and then taught her how to consciously control the fire and make different shapes and basic attacks in firebending.

Aang then sat down under the cover of a nearby tree while Katara continued to practice random firebending moves.

"Hey Katara, come and take a break." Aang said sympathetically gesturing for her to sit next to him. She then turned and sat down at his side.

"I think when you master the elements in the next month, I wanna test you." Aang began seriously.

"Well...can I ask how you want to test me Aang?" Katara said with a warm smile.

"You sure can." Aang said playfully. The two then stared at each other with warm loving smiles. Knowing they had all the time in world to spend together.

"Well I'm asking." she laughed slightly annoyed.

"Well alright then...I think the two of us should have a duel when your ready... using everything you've learned." Aang said getting serious again with his eyes looking straight ahead.

Katara thought this over "Even fire?" She asked with wide and excited eyes.

"Even fire...in fact let's have a quick Agni Kai before the sun goes down." He replied excitedly.

"What Aang I'm not ready." Katara protested fearfully.

"That's not the attitude of a firebender, get up and fight!" Aang yelled.
Suddenly Katara realized that this was not a sweet loving airbender Aang talking to her, this was Aang the cold and ruthless firebender.

"Ok fine, since your going to be a total jerk, someone needs to teach you some manners." Katara said with an angry glare.

Just then Sokka and Toph burst through the trees and brush with worried looks on their faces. "What's going on, we heard yelling."

"Two words, Agni Kai." Aang said menacingly.

Sokka and Toph then sat down as quickly as humanly possible to watch the impending battle between Aang and Katara.
Aang then punched straight at Katara three times in rapid succession, creating three fireballs. Katara then stepped to the side to avoid two and countered the last ball with her own, which resulted in a small explosion of smoke and ash.

"Yeah, Go Aang." Sokka cheered with frantic excitement.

"Is that all you've got, I've seen Sokka do better!" Aang taunted as he dodged a wave of flame inches from his face.

"Hey!" Sokka yelled from the sidelines.

"I'll show you!" Katara yelled as she did a quick roundhouse kick creating an arc of flame at his torso knocking Aang off balance, resulting in him having to take a few steps back but before he could she then took the opportunity to create a wave of flame at his feet knocking him to the ground on his back.

Katara then walked slowly over to where he laid and leered at him putting her fist directly in front of his face, as she stood over him, ready to deliver the final blow.

"Good...you learn quick." Aang said calmly as he stood up.
Katara's face and expression softened as she realized the real Aang returned to her, the Aang she fell in love with.

"I learned from the best." Katara laughed as she put her arm around his shoulder.

"And don't you forget it." Aang laughed jokingly.
Katara then leaned in and kissed him quickly.

"Thanks for doing this." She whispered sweetly.

"It's all for you." Aang replied softly before returning the kiss. As the passion of the fire between them grew as they kissed, Aang found his hands begin to wander. Through her hair, the warm softness of the skin on her face and arms.

"Aang if you going to make out with my sister at least do it while I'm not around." Sokka said with disgust.

"Now that's an idea!" Katara said with a wicked smile looking at Sokka.

Seeing the look on Katara's face, he immediately regretted what he had said.
Katara began to blush as Aang put an arm around Katara's waist as the four friends walked back to camp.

"Aang, don't even think about it." Sokka warned bitterly.
Sign up to rate and review this story