Categories > Cartoons > Avatar: The Last Airbender > Branches Of A Tree

Mud

by shasta 0 reviews

Katara learns earthbending with some reluctance from Toph!

Category: Avatar: The Last Airbender - Rating: PG - Genres: Drama - Characters: Aang, Katara, Other - Published: 2006-10-17 - Updated: 2006-10-18 - 775 words

0Unrated
Chapter 4
Mud

In the morning, just around sunrise the group decided that Katara was ready for earthbending. Toph decided a nearby clearing in the forest where there was nothing but earth, with no trees or grass for at least a quarter of a mile in every direction would be perfect for training both Aang and Katara.

"Wow I never thought I would be teaching a naturally born waterbender how to earthbend." Toph said with distain in her voice.

"I need to learn as early as I can Toph." Katara said plainly.

"Technically I'm a waterbender too Toph, and I handle earthbending fine." Aang replied firmly.

"This is different...you're the Avatar, so part of you is made for earthbending, but Sugar Queen here is made for waterbending." Toph said sarcastically.

"What so you're saying the only earthbending I'm good for is mud!" Katara spat angrily.

"That's correct." Toph said laughing in her face.

"Since you're the next Avatar though, I suppose I can give you some pointers." Toph said annoyed.

"I never knew you could be such a little-" Katara began with an angry and quiet tone but was cut off.

"Whoa! Ok Katara I think we might need to be a little bit nicer to Toph." Aang said hastily.

"Why, she's a bully and a pushover." Katara said coldly glaring at Toph.

"I'll show you who's a pushover!" Toph yelled shooting a boulder directly at the young waterbender.

Aang then jumped between the pillar and rock and batted it away like a fly with his airbending.

"Toph stop this now, what's your problem!" Toph then went straight and stiff as a wooden board, glaring at Aang.

"How would you feel if you were forced to get along with someone who was your polar opposite, and probably way prettier than you" Toph said in a slow, menacing voice pointing at Katara.

"Excuse me?" Katara said bluntly. Just then Toph hit her fist on the ground and knocked Katara off her feet.

"Quiet Sugar Queen...I'm talking." Toph said firmly.

"You know what, I think you're jealous." Katara said confidently with a smirk as she got back to her feet.

"Well...mystery solved Sugar Queen." Toph said sarcastically.
"What do you have to be jealous about?" Katara said innocently.

"Your kidding right?" Toph said with an eyebrow raised. Katara shook her head 'no'.

"You're the girlfriend of the freakin' Avatar!" Toph yelled with annoyance.

"Oh...is that it?" Katara said with sympathetic concern, jumping down from the pillar.

"C'mon I'll teach you the first earthbending technique, Aang go practice the quicksand form." Toph said changing the subject quickly. Katara surrendered to the girl's instruction and dropped into an earthbending stance.

Toph hit the solid ground with her foot with her toes pointing upward, which sent a piece of rock straight into the air at an arc landing a few feet away.

"Now you try." Katara hit the ground the same way and a rock just hovered two feet above the ground for three seconds and hit the ground with a quiet thud.

This went on for most of the day, with Toph teaching both Aang and Katara their respective level of earthbending. When night came however, Toph was tired, yet she felt she wanted some company. Sokka was outside with Katara and Aang sharpening his boomerang, when he saw her coming to sit with him, Aang and Katara just smiled at him and went off to practice some earthbending.

'Dude she's twelve.' Sokka's mind told him.

"I know it's wrong...but I can't help the way I feel." Sokka said guiltily as Toph sat beside him rested her head against his shoulder.

"Me neither." Toph said smiling.
"For me though, I have to think of what people will think of me." Sokka began softly.

"Why do you even care?" Toph said irritably.

"For you people will think it's just a silly crush." Sokka said laughing.

"You didn't answer my question, why do you care?" Toph yelled.

"Toph please." Sokka pleaded.

"No, you can't know what I feel!" Toph screamed.

"You know what you're right." Sokka then leaned in and kissed her with so much feeling and passion that was so blissful it didn't seem real, like something out of a dream.

Even if it was though, both were fully lost in the moment, each second felt like a lifetime. It was like nothing was wrong and that nothing can ever be wrong ever again as long as the kiss lasted.
.
By the time Aang and Katara had come back from training, Sokka and Toph had fallen asleep by the now smothered campfire in each other's arms.
Sign up to rate and review this story