Categories > Books > Harry Potter > What Now, Severus?

Harry Consults Professor Snape

by Emilie_D 1 review

Harry shares his Horcrux dilemma with Professor Snape.

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: R - Genres: Romance - Characters: Snape - Warnings: [!] - Published: 2006-11-11 - Updated: 2006-11-11 - 2761 words - Complete

1Original
Harry was determined to ask Professor Snape about the Horcruxes, so Ron and Hermione were planning to distract Zelda. It was easier than they had anticipated, since Zelda joined them first.

"Would any of you like to do some shooting?" she asked. "I'll show you how to use Michael's shotgun, if you'd like."

"I'd love it," Ron exclaimed eagerly. "How about it, Hermione?"

Hermione was fascinated by Zelda's competence with firearms, since, in spite of knowing better, she had always thought of it as a man's activity. "I'll try it," she replied.

Zelda retrieved the shotgun and looked enquiringly at Harry.

"I'll be out in a few minutes," he said with an awkward grimace.

"Okay," Zelda replied casually. She handed the big gun to Ron and they left.

Harry felt wretched as he waited for Professor Snape to appear. He'd hated and avoided him for so long, and now was forced to appeal to him for help. But there was no one else. He jumped when the bedroom door opened.

"Potter. Where are the others?" Severus asked quickly, controlling his outward nervousness at finding himself alone with the boy, although his gut twisted painfully.

"Zelda's going to teach them about Michael's shotgun," Harry said. His stomach was churning horribly. "Um... Professor, can I ask you about something?"

"What is it?" Severus could feel the boy's panic, a complete change from the furious disrespect of their past interactions, and he felt suddenly calmer.

"I shouldn't ask you, I know it, but I don't know where to go next," Harry burst out, standing up and pacing restlessly. "We found the one, we looked where you suggested, Sir, and it's destroyed."

Severus had been holding his breath, he realized, a most unprofessional behavior, and he released it slowly, realizing that one crucial step forward had been achieved. "That is good news," he murmured.

"But I don't know about the next one. Professor Dumbledore showed me before he... died, what it must be, but I even went to see his portrait yesterday and he never located them. You're the only one I can ask that might be able to figure it out. I know it's a risk..." he faltered, and looked imploringly at his formerly hated teacher.

A risk indeed, thought Severus dryly. Dumbledore had specifically kept all of his knowledge regarding the... objects hidden from him. Potter was asking a great deal. "Do you really know how great a risk?" he asked cynically.

Harry's face fell; he was silent for a moment. "Do you know what the whole Prophecy was?" he burst out passionately. "Trelawney said you heard part of it, but I bet you don't... you can't know. But there's no way out for me, Sir, I have to do this and there's nobody who's going to help us!"

Zelda would have wept, Severus thought sourly. Fortunately she was not with them, but unfortunately the boy was probably right. It was a short list of wizards who were willing to help Harry Potter. Once more he must prepare to take a hit for the ungrateful brat, he thought resignedly. "Tell me," he said flatly, and watched those bloody green eyes light up with hope.

"I know what one probably is, I don't have any idea what another is, and if Dumbledore's right, I know what the last one is and it'll be a bloody nightmare to destroy it," babbled Harry. The relief of saying the words to someone threatened to make him fall apart.

"Must I repeat myself?" Severus asked coldly. "Tell me how I may help you."

That familiar nasty tone was oddly comforting and helped Harry to discipline his mind. "There's a cup," he said slowly. "It belonged to Helga Hufflepuff. He... erm, the Dark Lord, murdered an old lady and stole it from her a long time ago. Dumbledore was sure it was a Horcrux, but he never found out where it's hidden. Yesterday Dumbledore's portrait told me that the Horcruxes were hidden in places of significance to his past. I don't think he had access to Hogwarts during that time, but Hogwarts is really important to him, from what I can tell. Could it be hidden there?"

A high, icy voice murmured in Severus's mind. "/I wish to enter Hogwarts as quickly as possible, so I shall be with you/." Was it possible that he had found a way, years ago to hide something of such importance to him in the grounds of Hogwarts? There were many things hidden within the grounds of Hogwarts that must not be found by the Dark Lord.

'What do you know of the others?" he asked urgently.

"Dumbledore thought it's something belonging to Rowena Ravenclaw. There've been two from Salazar Slytherin so far and Tom Riddle's diary. Then if there's the Hufflepuff cup..." Harry's voice died.

"What of the last one?" Severus asked.

"Nagini," replied Harry weakly.

Silence fell as neither of them could think of an adequate comment. Feeling nauseated, Severus wished the last piece of information could be Obliviated from his mind, since he saw the creature frequently. The Dark Lord possessed her at times, and he treated the monstrous snake with horrifying affection. It was indeed likely.

"The Chamber of Secrets was searched thoroughly after you destroyed the basilisk," muttered Severus thoughtfully. "Hogwarts holds many secrets, however, and the Forbidden Forest even more. It might help if you can determine the points in time when the Dark Lord gained access, and where he might have gone while he was within the grounds."

"It's not hopeless, is it?" Harry asked. He felt stronger for having shared his burden. "Are you certain they're at Hogwarts? How can you know that?"

"More questions," Severus said in exasperation. "I am not certain, but I have information that you have not, and I know that the Dark Lord urgently desires access to Hogwarts. Once again, Potter, I suggest that you keep your mouth shut and your mind closed. You are in dangerous territory."

Harry realized that he had gotten more answers than he'd hoped for, as well as more encouragement than he'd ever expected. "There must be books in the library about the Founders. I'll ask Hermione to research Rowena Ravenclaw, and places at Hogwarts significant to Slytherin too. It's a place to start," he said thoughtfully. He smiled at Severus tentatively.

Severus wanted to urge to boy to act quickly, before the attack, but he disliked ruining the most productive conversation they had ever shared. Minerva could inform him that his quest was urgent. "I am not able to speak more of this," he said, 'but there are those at Hogwarts who will help you."

Harry's eyes were shining. "Thank you, Sir," he murmured.

"Don't you wish to join your little friends? It seems a shame that they are the only Hogwarts students to waste a summer day becoming proficient with Muggle killing curses." Severus eyed him cynically. "Have you homework for the summer?"

"No," he replied. "School was dismissed right after Dumbledore's funeral."

"I see," was Severus's only response. "Wait here a moment."

He went to the bedroom and returned with a small pouch in his hand, which he handed to Harry. "There are many useful things at Hogwarts that I was unable to take with me, but I believe you know what these are. Carry them with you at all times."

Harry opened the pouch and poured three bezoars into his hand. "Wow! Thanks, Professor."

"If you are forced to use them, the sufferer will still require additional care," he instructed. "At St. Mungo's if possible. If Madam Pomfrey is at Hogwarts she can assist you, but her training is not as extensive as I would wish. I have also left some with Zelda, but you know that she cannot treat magical maladies, she can only get an injured person to Hogwarts."

"I won't add any more to your dangerous memories," Harry said seriously. "But, Professor... will you be okay?"

Severus stared incredulously. "I cannot say," he replied, forcing his voice to steadiness. "There are more important matters than my being... /okay/." He led the way out of the cabin.

Harry stuffed the pouch of bezoars into his pocket and followed compliantly. "Professor," he asked. "What if I'd had a bezoar when Dumbledore drank that green stuff?"

The boy never stopped! Severus had finally learned not to indulge in 'what-ifs' after years of driving himself mad. Even hinting that a different outcome to that horrific night could have occurred was agonizing.

"Potter," he replied icily, "It is not likely that a poisonous potion created by the Dark Lord could be easily countered by a natural magical substance."

They could see the others, and Severus was amused to see Zelda assisting Granger with the shotgun as they joined them.

Ron saw them coming, and said, "Harry, you have to try this. It's /wild/."

Hermione finished taking her last shot and turned to them. "This thing is heavy and it hurts, Harry," she said. "I like the little handgun much more."

"Spoken like a practical woman," said Zelda. "Do you two want to show Harry what to do? Severus tried it before, so unless he wants to try again, it's all yours. We'll watch."

Severus shook his head slightly, and conjured two comfortable chairs under the nearest tree. "I prefer not to be bested by a woman again," he said pleasantly, taking Zelda's hand and leading her over to sit down.

"Everything okay?" she asked softly.

"I believe so," he said ironically. "However, I found myself not completely despising the boy and was briefly unnerved."

She squeezed his hand consolingly. "Poor Sev. On top of everything else, do you think Dumbledore expected you to be Harry's new mentor?"

"It is precisely the sort of thing he would do," snarled Severus. "Undoubtedly he wished me to love the boy. He wished everyone to love the bloody boy."

"Harry's a great kid, but since your time is limited, why don't you concentrate on loving me?" she asked, pulling his hand to her lips and kissing his thin fingers.

"You have a knack for knowing how to make any situation better, my love," he murmured, rubbing her neck lightly. "Are you still angry with me for this?"

Every time he touched that outrageous 'S' on her neck a warm tingling sensation suffused her entire body before settling into her pelvic region. She quivered briefly and gasped, "Why does it feel like that?"

"Like what?" he asked innocently, his dark eyes gleaming. He touched her neck again and saw her inhale sharply.

"You know perfectly well, now tell me why," she growled.

"You are adorable when you try to be fierce," he said, smirking. "Very well, my girl. The healing spell I used is a fairly powerful one. I used it for quickness, but there is a euphoric component, which is designed to ease pain. In your case, since there is not pain, the euphoria is enhanced."

"When will it stop being so sensitive?" she asked.

"In a day or so," he said with a smirk. "Until then I believe we shall both enjoy it."

Zelda glanced over to where the teens were seriously discussing Muggle weaponry, then slipped into his lap. She slipped a hand under his shirt and ran it up from his belly to a nipple. She massaged his chest, pinched his hard, small nipple and murmured. "Are you sure you won't find the euphoric effect inconvenient? Without it I might be able to sit in that chair and keep my hands off you." She felt his growing arousal, and rubbed her hip against him.

Severus closed his eyes blissfully. He would never be able to take her for granted. "Zelda, do not start something you are not prepared to finish," he growled into her ear.

"I'll behave," she said softly. She rested her hand over his heart, feeling the comfortable pounding. "I haven't asked yet, but how long can you stay this time? "

"Definitely tonight. I wish to tell you what occurred, but there has been no time. I shall tell you and Minerva together after she has spoken with Potter," he replied.

"She must be incredibly busy, trying to prepare for the start of a normal school year at the same time she's preparing for the other thing," murmured Zelda. "I wonder how Occlumency with Michael is working for her."

"I believe that once the shock of his personality has worn off, she will be able to learn more than Occlumency from him," Severus replied.

Zelda's hand caressed his bare chest a moment longer, creating a most pleasing warmth, before she rested it again over his heart. She leaned her head against his shoulder and kissed his neck. Without opening his eyes, Severus tightened his arms around her and they sat that way until the three teens had finished and turned in their direction, gazing expectantly at them.

Zelda casually pulled her hand out of his shirt and smoothed it down before she stood up. "Sorry kids," she said, smiling unrepentantly, "Back to grownup mode."

Severus opened his eyes to find three grinning teens standing around them. "Wipe those smirks off your impudent faces immediately," he murmured lazily, not moving from his relaxed position, "or I shall yet find a way to take points away from your blasted House."

Ron and Harry both convulsed with laughter and turned away, finding the whole situation more hilarious than they could have imagined. Hermione studied all of them thoughtfully a moment, and then smiled.

"Minerva's going to be here in an hour," Zelda said briskly. "Ron and Hermione, why don't you make dinner so she can eat with us. Harry, I'll show you how to clean the shotgun, okay?"

"No orders for me?" Severus asked mockingly.

"You may do whatever you wish," she said cheerfully.

"Perhaps I shall let you refresh my memory of how to clean firearms," he said. "It is something every wizard should know."

The three of them sat down in the shade next to the cabin, and Zelda explained what Harry was to do. He remembered how he had learned to clean the handgun, so it was easy.

"Zelda," asked Harry tentatively, "Can I bring my things here when I leave the Dursleys? I guess I don't have any place else to go to, if the Weasleys are moving to Hogwarts."

"Potter, you are the owner of number twelve, Grimmauld Place, are you not?" Severus asked sourly, knowing it was useless and that his beloved would be virtually adopting the wretched boy who lived for the near future.

Harry carefully set the gun down and turned pleading eyes to him. "Professor, I'll go mad if I have to live there alone. As far as I'm concerned, once this war's over, anybody can have that bloody house. I hate it. Besides, it's such a relief being completely away from everything." He turned to Zelda. "I'll help with /everything/, Zelda, I won't be a bother, I promise."

Zelda set down the gun she had taken from Harry and begun working on while the two wizards had been negotiating, and put her hand on Harry's shoulder. "Of course, Harry. Bring whatever you want and stay as long as you need to," she said firmly. She looked piercingly at Severus but said nothing to him.

Severus picked up the gun and began earnestly working on it, secretly using magic to speed the process. He did not look up until he was handing the gleaming weapon to Zelda for inspection, and was guiltily relieved to see a smile in her eyes. He smiled slightly in return, and saw that she knew precisely what his motivation had been.

"Perfect, Sev," she said. "Harry, please hand me the case."

Zelda asked Severus to put the gun away in the cabin, and after he had gone ahead, she turned to Harry.

"He doesn't want anyone here, you know," she said apologetically. "But he's already over it." She gave Harry a quick hug, which he resisted for only a second before hugging her back. "Your friends are welcome too. Don't worry about Severus, he's fine about it."

"Thank you," he whispered.

"And you don't have to be my house elf either," she said with a smirk.

"But it's okay! I've been the house elf for Aunt Petunia my entire life. I don't mind doing chores."

She laughed and shook her head. "We'll all do something, and it'll be enough."

"Okay, let's go help Hermione and Ron make dinner," he said happily.
Sign up to rate and review this story