Categories > Books > Harry Potter > What Now, Severus?

Consequences Of A Magical Hickey

by Emilie_D 1 review

Severus manages to enjoy fun and games as he helps Minerva to strategize.

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: R - Genres: Romance - Characters: Snape - Warnings: [X] - Published: 2006-11-11 - Updated: 2006-11-12 - 3264 words - Complete

1Ambiance
Minerva arrived shortly after five o'clock. She was tired and irritable, having dealt with bureaucrats from the Ministry in the morning, Order members in the afternoon and her staff in the evening. The aroma of cooking that greeted her when she opened the door was very welcome, since she had missed dinner completely.

"Good evening, Minerva," Severus said politely. He eyed her closely and saw signs of disgruntlement. "Sit down and relax." He poured a glass of chilled, white wine and handed it to her.

"Thank you, Severus," she replied graciously, sipping her wine. "It was an annoying day."

"Really?" he replied, sitting down next to her and waiting.

"The Ministry is exploring ways to meddle in my staffing of the school," she said. "I shall prevail, but it takes time that I cannot afford to waste."

"I have no doubt that you will prevail," he said coolly. "Shortly, I shall add to your annoyance, but it may wait until you have dined."

Minerva looked toward the stove, where two teenagers busily stirred and chattered, and then to Harry Potter, setting the table.

"Merlin, Severus," she exclaimed. "Shall I assign a house elf to be here?"

"Absolutely not, " he replied firmly. "Zelda's ridiculous school of Muggle life skills is the best thing that could happen to them. Do they look unwilling?"

Minerva smiled thinly. "They are Gryffindors, of course," she said smugly.

"They have too high an opinion of themselves," he snapped, knowing he did them an injustice. The temptation to play the familiar old game with Minerva was irresistible, however.

"I daresay your Slytherins would be equally cooperative," she said cynically.

"If you are trying to make me admit that these three are not quite as irritating as I have always believed," Severus said, pausing, "I shall admit it, this once. But only because they are preparing my dinner."

"Where is Zelda?" she asked with a smile.

"She insisted on changing her clothes," he sneered. "At times her outlook on life is pathetically frivolous."

Minerva studied him closely. "You're happy, Severus," she pronounced. She had never seen him so comfortable in himself.

His black eyes shone with self-mockery. "I am indeed," he agreed complacently. "Even as our world faces the peril I have dreaded for years. It is ironic."

The bedroom door opened and Zelda joined them. "Minerva, I'm glad to see you," she said.

"Zelda, shall I pretend I do not see the symbol of Slytherin House chewed onto your neck?" the Headmistress replied, choking down an outraged chuckle. Turning to Severus, she said sternly, "What did the students think? It is impossible to miss it."

"They think we're ridiculous, of course," Zelda replied. "And I wonder if Ron will read up on Healing Charms when he finally gets back to school."

"I hope not," said Minerva. "Severus, if you have set this particular new trend among the students I shall be most displeased."

Zelda laughed. "The kids have seen a hickey before. This could give them hope, you know, that even when they're extremely ancient, they can still have fun."

Severus brought her a glass of wine. "Drink up, my girl, so I may have my way with you later."

"Silly wizard, you don't need to ply me with wine for that," she replied, rolling her eyes absurdly. She put out her hand and clasped his, drawing him down to sit by her. "Minerva," she said, "How's it going with Michael? Is he behaving himself?"

Minerva perked up immediately. ""He is very helpful, and I am much improved at Occlumency and Legilimency. He has also given me practical advice about defending the school."

"We must discuss that in detail later," Severus told her. "But Potter and the others will leave here after dinner, so they must speak with you first."

"Hello, Professor McGonagall," said Hermione, approaching them with a smile. "Dinner's ready, if you'd like to come to the table."

"Thank you, Miss Granger," Minerva replied.

The meal was a casual and pleasant one, and Minerva felt her jangled nerves relaxing during the course of it. She found it easy to forget how unlikely it was that these people should be forming a small community and simply enjoyed it.

Toward the end of the meal Ron announced to Zelda, "Did you know that Professor McGonagall is an Animagus?"

Zelda's eyebrow rose quizzically. "Tell me more."

"She's a shape changer, she can turn into a cat," he replied.

Zelda turned to the older woman, her blue eyes sparkling as though Christmas had come early. "Wow. Really?"

Minerva nodded complacently. "Some other time I shall demonstrate," she said gently.

"I have a question for any or all of you," said Zelda. "When you do magic, especially things like Apparating between continents, does it weaken you? Where does the energy come from? Is it within you? Or around you, so you can channel it through yourself somehow?"

"Both," replied Minerva. "Those whose abilities are not strong, or who are not sufficiently practiced, can be weakened by things that do not weaken others."

Zelda nodded thoughtfully. "When Severus healed his arm, he was suffering from concussion and he needed to rest afterward. But you all can Apparate between home and here without breaking a sweat, which amazes me."

"And you still don't suffer from magic envy?" asked Hermione curiously.

A faint smile appeared in the blue eyes. "I see the convenience of it, and I love seeing what you can do," she mused.

"But?" prompted Minerva.

"It's not... me," Zelda said. "That sounds stupid, I guess, but I have to accept who I am. I've lived my life without magic and it's been okay. Magic wouldn't have stopped me from making some poor choices and the good things have come from hard work." She sighed. "I wish I could do magic to make your situation easier. Otherwise, I'm fine without it."

"Minerva, we shall clean up so Potter may consult with you," said Severus. His eyes were gleaming as he smiled at Zelda. "We shall do it without magic, if you prefer it, my girl."

"You know, I don't understand why the worst punishments at Hogwarts are to do disgusting cleaning jobs without magic," said Ron plaintively. "Did you ever think about the message that sends us impressionable young people?"

"It builds character, Mr. Weasley," replied Minerva austerely. "Can you think of a better form of detention?"

"If I could, I don't think I'd tell you, Professor," he said frankly.

"Spoken like a true Weasley," she replied with a dignified smirk.

As Zelda and Severus began clear the table, Minerva led her students outside where they could speak together in privacy.

"Sev," whispered Zelda sweetly, "Use magic."

He looked at her curiously, pulled out his wand and murmured, "Scourgify." He then Levitated the dishes to their proper cupboards and closed them.

Zelda looked critically at the kitchen, and reached for his hand. "Come with me, my boy," she murmured.

"Where are we going?" he asked. He pulled at her hand until she was pressed against him.

"While they're outside, I thought we could stay inside and I could grope you a bit," she said cheerfully.

"Excellent," he said, turning and steering her toward the small couch. He sat down and settled her comfortably in his lap. "May I touch your neck?" he asked wickedly.

She grinned. "You'll be held responsible for the results."

He looked into her eyes and, holding her gaze, he brushed one fingertip over his mark. She gasped, and he followed up by kissing it softly. Purposely he did not touch it again. Instead, he kissed her lightly and smiled at her response. "Do you like it?" he asked provokingly, slipping the strap of her sundress off her arm and kissing her bare shoulder.

Zelda's mind struggled for composure as her body became heavy and languorous. "I thought I was going to grope /you/," she whispered, panting slightly as he exposed one breast and attended to it.

"Shall I stop?" he asked, admiring the way her eyes had become glazed with desire.

She shook her head. "Lock the damned door," she moaned.

He fumbled for his wand and sealed the door. Then he slipped his hand up into her skirt and pulled her knickers off and stuffed them into a pocket. "So unnecessary," he chided. He slipped the other strap down and pushed the dress down around her waist.

Zelda made one last effort to gain some control. She leaned back far enough to grasp the bottom of his T-shirt and wrenched it over his head, wondering if his sudden exposure would slow him down.

Severus pulled her against his bare chest. "You must do better than that, love," he snickered, delighted at the meeting of their naked skin.

"Let's go to the bedroom," she suggested weakly, fumbling as she unzipped his pants.

He shook his head. "You know what I shall do now," he said mockingly.

She saw his intention, and was helpless as he kissed her neck again, flooding her with the euphoric response. On and on, lightly and firmly he kept on, pausing to meet her eyes. Shakily she turned and straddled him, whimpering as he briefly lost contact with her skin, but still aware enough that she laughed as they came together. The resulting orgasm was so shattering that afterward she stayed slumped in his lap, her head on his bare shoulder. She was too limp to even care that they might be discovered half naked, in such a pose.

"Ah, Zelda." He stroked her hair, rousing her enough to elicit a blissful sigh. That was enough to make him tighten his embrace and chuckle. "You are very generous," he murmured.

Eyes closed, she said, "You're irresistible. I don't think I can move, though, which may lead to... awkwardness." Her lips quirked upward and she muttered, "You smell so good, Sev." She pressed her nose against his neck and grew still, breathing evenly.

Severus took stock of their situation. First he slid the straps of her dress back onto Zelda, adjusting it until she was covered. He laughed softly to himself, never having imagined himself in such a ridiculous position. He eased her off his lap, and she snuggled into the corner of the couch, where he smoothed her dress over her. At last he fastened his pants and found his shirt. When he had tidied everything and unsealed the door, he sat back down and pulled her into his arms again.

They stayed that way for twenty minutes before Severus decided to rouse her. "Zelda, wake up," he murmured, kissing her forehead.

Her eyelashes fluttered as she tried to open her heavy eyes, and the sight enchanted him. No one had ever been so vulnerable and trusting with him in his life, and once more he felt his long held, icy resolve melt into a revolting wave of sentiment. "Sweet girl, we have visitors who will return at any moment," he said firmly.

"Severus, whose crazy, magical idea was this?" she said. "Aside from normal post-coital bliss, I feel completely high. Would coffee help me function?" She threw her arms around his neck and nuzzled against him, giggling.

"Stand up, my love, and we'll go in search of coffee," he commanded, and putting an arm around her waist he guided her to the kitchen table.

She was on her second cup of coffee and almost herself again when their guests re-entered the cabin.

The young people will be leaving now," Minerva announced, looking pleased with the results of their conversation.

Zelda rose slowly and collected her thoughts. "I'll see you soon, I hope," she said to them, "and bring your silly broomsticks when you come back." She hugged them all as they walked out to Apparate.

Severus and Minerva followed behind them, and Harry turned back after he had hugged Zelda.

"Thanks for everything, Sir," he said. "We'll do it as fast as we can."

Severus looked piercingly at him, the same look that used to make the boy squirm with guilt, but Harry looked right back with a hint of a tired smile in his green eyes.

"Mouth shut and mind closed," he repeated quietly. "I'll do my best, Sir." He waved to them, joined his friends and was away.

Minerva had not missed Harry's respectful attitude, but knew Severus well enough to ignore it.

"Come in and have tea, Minerva," Zelda said. Her brain was not in top form yet, but finally she would learn what the immediate future held for Severus. She turned quickly and a wave if dizziness washed through her, causing her to stagger.

Severus caught her to him and frowned. "Are you all right?" he asked in a low voice.

"A bit too much of euphoria," she murmured shakily. She kissed the side of his neck. "I'll be fine," she said reassuringly, in response to the worry and guilt in his eyes. "Maybe I should go to bed, though."

"Minerva, I shall meet you in the kitchen," he said abruptly. He walked ahead with Zelda with a hand at her waist, and when they reached the bedroom he picked her up and carried her to the bed. He put her down and undressed her. Her bright eyes and pink cheeks reassured him that she was not damaged by their play.

"Severus, I wanted to know what happened and how long you'll be here," she said longingly. "Can we talk after I've slept?"

"Of course," he replied, stroking her cheek. "You are beautiful, my love." He tucked the comforter around her and almost instantly she was sleeping.

Severus returned to Minerva and discovered that she had made tea. She was far more relaxed than when she had arrived, and he said as much to her.

"It is good to be away from it," she replied. "Albus was a far more patient person than I am, and I want nothing more than to hex the lot of them."

"I hope you will contain your impulse when I tell you my news," he said. "The good news is that Pettigrew will be tied to his cauldron for the next three weeks. Did Phineas give you my message?"

"Giants and Inferi? Were you afraid to tell me in person?" she asked.

"You need to know as early as possible, to try to prepare," he replied. "He would not tell me how many Inferi he plans to use, although that does not disturb me unduly."

"Really?" she replied acidly.

"Inferi may be repelled by fire, as you well know. Their greatest power is that of intimidation, and since you shall prepare your defenders for the sight of them, that is not my greatest worry."

"Dare I ask what is?" she asked.

"Speak with Hagrid at once," he said. "The Dark Lord believes he can command twenty giants to attack Hogwarts. Whether we prevail or are defeated, the damage will be devastating. Also, I was not aware of what the remaining giant population is, but if twenty giants are killed, their people will die out within our lifetime."

"I do not know what Hagrid may accomplish," Minerva replied. "He and Madame Maxime tried earlier to approach them, with little success."

"Perhaps his brother may help him," Severus suggested. "Speaking of brothers, Minerva, I encountered Aberforth Dumbledore and he will assist us."

"Really? He would not speak to me after Albus's funeral, and I've always thought him a bit mad."

"I believe he was born such a powerful Legilimens that he cannot bear much human interaction. Having discussed Zelda and Michael's ability with them, I believe Aberforth may be unable to shut down at times. He can tolerate little conversation, but he sees everything around him and will speak with me."

"Well, our allies are an interesting lot," she said. "The majority are either depressed, half-mad or children."

"The majority of Death Eaters are complete morons," he responded. "Their combined intellect would not equal Gilderoy Lockhart's wit. I do not feel the Order is outmatched in that way. The difficulty for us is that it is easier to destroy than to preserve what is good."

Minerva rubbed her eyes. "If there is nothing else now, I must leave. I am quite exhausted," she said. "I dislike being Headmistress even more than I thought I would." She saw Severus wince slightly. "What is it?" she asked gently.

His frown brought back every harsh line on his face, and he suddenly looked older than she had ever seen him. "I weakened briefly, and he saw my distaste for destroying the school." His voice was expressionless. "As an /incentive/, the Dark Lord offered that after his destruction is complete, I become his puppet Headmaster of Hogwarts, to oversee the training of his future Dark wizards." His lip curled in self-loathing.

His bitterness was painful for her to see. "Severus," she said briskly, "You have deceived him brilliantly if he believes such a promise will motivate you."

"Some would believe it," he replied, looking down at his hands. "I am still unable to imagine Hogwarts without Dumbledore, and imagining what Hogwarts would be if he succeeded..."

"Focus on the job to be done," she counseled. "When I imagine this all happening without warning and without your help, I realize that all would be lost. His greatest talent is to spread confusion and fear."

The gloom in his black eyes lightened as he looked up at her. "I would have attempted this task alone. That was the plan, but I cannot imagine succeeding without your help, Minerva."

She smiled gently. "Somehow we shall prevail. Now, I must go. I am to meet Kingsley Shacklebolt, unofficially, in the morning. He is the most sane and competent of our people and I plan to tell him of the attacks and ask his advice."

"Can he be trusted?" he asked.

"I shall see," she replied. Her eyes bored steadily into his, and so unexpected was her attack that she caught a shocking memory of him making love to Zelda on the couch, before he blocked her.

His cheeks flushed and he said coldly, "Impressive, Minerva, and you have been justly punished for your intrusion. I believe you will learn Shacklebolt's motives with no trouble."

Her eyes twinkled unrepentantly. Severus was indeed a passionate lover, and having seen precisely what lay between him and Zelda only confirmed her trust in him. "Zelda is a fortunate young woman, Severus," she murmured mockingly.

"Now you are a voyeur?" he asked nastily. "I would not have believed it of the Head of Saint Gryffindor House."

She rose and said sardonically, "I apologize, but I am still shocked to see what is on your mind while you speak with me." Her mouth twitched from her effort to keep from smiling. "How long will you stay here?"

"I must return, at least briefly, to check on the idiots' progress in two or three days," he replied, escorting her outside. "Needless to say, I shall try to get more information from the Dark Lord. He offered me accommodations, but I have no intention of accepting."

"I believe you are better off here," she said, chuckling.

"Good night, Minerva," he said pointedly. "I shall send word with Phineas if need be."

"I shall do the same," she replied composedly. "Sweet dreams, Severus."

After she was gone he shook his head ruefully. It would be hard to live this down, but he did not much care while he had Zelda. He locked the door, turned out the lights and went off to bed, smiling faintly.
Sign up to rate and review this story