Categories > Original > Fantasy > A Heaven Amongst Hells

Chapter 1

by constantinexfreak 1 review

An old friend comes into contact with Lucifer, hoping to get something out of their little meeting.

Category: Fantasy - Rating: R - Genres: Fantasy - Published: 2006-11-12 - Updated: 2006-11-13 - 1528 words

1Ambiance
The room was dark, as was the entire manor. The little amount of lighting that was there came mostly from the few candles scattered about on the lavish dressers.

Lucifer Tidan awoke slowly, sitting up in his king sized bed, letting his eyes adjust to the dim lighting. He rested his back against the headboard, running a hand through his hair and glancing over at the digital clock on the wall.

5:47 A.M.

He sighed, slowly slipping his legs off of the bed and resting his warm feet on the cold wood floor. He put his face in the palms of his hands and yawned, not wanting to get out of the bed, but knowing very well that he had to.

Standing up, Lucifer slowly made his way across his room and stood in front of the dead, man-sized fireplace, rubbing a bruise on his bare chest. There were only two logs left in the fireplace, but it would suffice for now. He closed his eyes, thinking, Fire please.

Lucifer opened his eyes and turned, feeling the flames spread warmth throughout his room. He walked over to his walk-in closet and stepped inside, flicking on a small light switch in the corner. The closet lit up with a dim light and he looked around, wondering what he should wear for the day.

Clearing his throat, he walked over to where he kept his business attire, pulling out a normal black business suit. He studied it, seeing a few blood spots here and there. Sighing, he slipped it back in its position, making a mental note to take it to the cleaners. He walked around the closet, dressed only in a pair of velvet sweats, his arms crossed over his white chest.

He picked up a pair of black pants, as well as a button-up shirt and a white tie. He quickly got dressed in his closet, putting on the pants and the shirt, along with the tie. Lucifer walked over to the mirror and studied himself, running a hand through his hair and smiling.

"Nice," he said quietly, folding up the sleeves of his shirt to reveal a tattoo on his left wrist. The tattoo was a symbol, which looked something like a "C." He sighed, seeing the tattoo, and reached over to the small dresser where he kept his jewelry and such, and he removed a large watch, placing it on his wrist, covering the tattoo.

He gave a final nod of approval, and turned, leaving the closet and flicking the light switch off.

Lucifer nearly jumped when he entered his room, seeing a man standing near the fireplace, examining the candles. Lucifer took in a deep breath, seeing that it was just Drake, the freak.

Drake was dressed how he normally was, bizarrely. He was wearing white pants, a white shirt, and a white trench coat. All the white made his pitch-black hair and midnight black eyes stick out stunningly. His skin, of course, was as white as ever. Lucifer was convinced that Drake was an albino, due to his unbelievably white skin, but the fact that he had natural black hair and eyes was a little unsettling.

Drake turned around, smiling his smug smile when he saw Lucifer standing in the doorway leading from his closet into his room.

"How the hell did you get in here?" Lucifer asked, staying at the edge of the closet. He was surprised to see Drake here, in his bedroom, at six in the morning.

Drake tilted his head to the side, looking at Lucifer with those piercing black eyes, smiling still.

"I simply let myself in," he said. His voice wasn't high pitched, nor was it completely manly either. "You know perfectly well that I don't necessarily need doors." He gave a wink and turned his head slowly, although he kept his eyes on Lucifer.

Lucifer got the chills from the way that Drake looked at him. He never cared for the man; there was something about him that he found, horribly terrifying. That feeling had hardly anything to do with the way that the man looked. He found Drake attractive in his own manner, physically, but just being around the guy made him uncomfortable beyond all means. His presence was chilling.

Finally, Drake let his eyes follow the actions of his head, letting his eyes rest on the candles again.

"You sleep with these on all night?" he asked, reaching his pale hand out and touching the flame on one of the candles.

"What the bloody hell do you want?" Lucifer asked, annoyed, feeling aware of his body now. He walked over to the window and reached out to open the curtains, but suddenly stopped, feeling something grasp his arm, preventing him from opening the curtains. He looked down at his arm where he was feeling the grip, but saw nothing. He looked over at Drake, seeing him still looking at the candles, his fist clenched every so firmly.

"Don't," Drake spoke quietly. "I'm not in the mood for the sunlight, how dim it may be."

Lucifer paused, and then gave a slow nod, and took his hand back.

"So, what do you want?" Lucifer asked, letting the tone of his voice level out to neutral.

Drake ran his finger up and down the candle for a moment before turning back to Lucifer. He looked at him for a few seconds before speaking.

"I've got a job for you," he said.

"No way," Lucifer said quickly, shaking his head and folding his arms. "Last time I worked for you, I nearly died."

Drake sighed, shaking his head.

"That was an accident," he said. "The demon wasn't supposed to attack you, you know that."

Lucifer laughed quietly, highly doubting that that was the truth. Many people had it out for him, and the person in whom he was supposed to be transferring the demon into had been an old client of his, one that he hadn't pleased. He didn't think that Drake had anything to do with it, but Drake should have gone into the history of the client before asking Lucifer to perform.

"Will you do a job for me?" Drake asked, letting his eyes travel around the room from the curved ceiling that looked like a cupola, down to the fireplace. He walked over to the fireplace, standing in front of it and staring at the large flames. He was infatuated with fire, but Lucifer knew better than to ask why. He wasn't quite sure he'd like the answer. Drake had a bizarre taste for the things that he was interested in.

"It depends," Lucifer said reluctantly, walking over to his bed, beginning to make it. "What is it?"

Looking out from the corner of his eye, Lucifer saw Drake stick his hand into the fire, turning it around, smiling gently as the flames licked at his flesh. Lucifer shuddered, wondering how Drake could stand the pain; he knew that Drake could feel pain, but Lucifer reminded himself again, Drake wasn't completely normal, and although Drake did have powers and knowledge of the hidden realm, Lucifer didn't know exactly what he was. Not human, no, but he wasn't a demon or an angel either.

"A transfer," Drake said, taking his hand out of the fireplace, rubbing it gently and looking down at Lucifer.

"Don't worry though," he added quickly, seeing the look on Lucifer's face when he mentioned another transfer. "I went into this one's history and there is no way that you two could possibly have known each other, even in a past life."

There was silence as Lucifer studied Drake, looking for any hint of a lie. None.

"Trust me," Drake said, making his way over to Lucifer.

Lucifer felt his body go tense as Drake made his way over to him. Being near the man just made him feel...lost and alone. Whatever Drake was, he gave off that aroma, making him feel as if the two were the only people left in the world, and that feeling wasn't given off in the sexy way either.

Drake stood directly in front of Lucifer now, a look on his face that Lucifer couldn't quite read. Lucifer could never read the man. He slowly took a step back, not feeling so comfortable with Drake standing that close to him. As tall as Lucifer was, six feet, Drake towered over him. Taking a guess, Lucifer would have to say that Drake was about, six foot ten, perhaps six eleven.

"Fine," he said after a moment. "I will do it, but I swear to God, the pay better be damned good."

Drake smiled, and gave a nod.

"Thank you old friend," he said. "The pay will be handsome, trust me. Meet me tonight at nine in the old warehouse."

Lucifer gave an idle nod and folded his arms across his chest.

Drake made to leave, walking out through the door in the room, but before he got too far, he turned, letting his head find its way around the frame of the door. He smiled down at Lucifer and said, "Oh, and Lucifer, don't swear to God."
Sign up to rate and review this story