Categories > Original > Fantasy > A Heaven Amongst Hells

Chapter 2

by constantinexfreak 1 review

Lucifer meets an old friend of his...a meeting he will soon not forget.

Category: Fantasy - Rating: R - Genres: Fantasy, Sci-fi - Published: 2006-12-15 - Updated: 2006-12-16 - 1576 words

1Original
Tears of blue
You let me burn on fire
I beseech you
You atrocious liar
You treated me with despair
Left me alone
You broke open my lair
And ripped me bone from bone

Lucifer smirked to himself as he read the beginning of a little poem that he had found in his mailbox from an ex-girlfriend, Victoria. He laughed, thinking that she should not become a poet. Crumbling up the paper and dropping it on the steps, he closed the door to his manor, locked it and turned, heading down onto the sidewalk.

His little morning meeting with Drake had dampened his mood a bit, knowing that he'd have a job to do later, but at least he'd be getting paid. He liked his work, true, but he never cared about working for Drake, especially with the rules that the man enforced, they were insanely strict.

He quickly made his way down the sidewalk, buttoning up his mid-thigh trench, looking around. It was about 6:30 now, and the sky was still a little dark, due mostly to the grey clouds, along with the fact that the sun hadn't completely risen yet. It had rained fiercely last night, and the roads were still a little damp.

Lucifer took in a deep breath, breathing in the smell of wet concrete and rain. Looking up at the sky, he wondered if it would rain again, suspecting that it would, rather hoping that it would actually.

Turning a corner on a street, he came upon a small café, The King's Café.

He was familiar with the place; he normally ate there in the mornings, just something casual normally, perhaps a cup of coffee and a doughnut or toast.

He entered the empty café, hearing the little bell hit the door as he opened it. He walked in, smiling to the waitress who was always there this early in the morning. He took a seat at a booth in the back as she came over.

"Toast or doughnut today ole boy?" she asked him, knowing what he usually had. The woman was older, older than he was, perhaps in her early fifties or late forties, nothing that he'd be interested in, but she was nice enough.

Lucifer leant back in the seat and thought for a moment.

"I will go with some toast today, love," he said. "Just plain toast will suffice."

She blushed gently at him calling her love, although it was normal for a man to call a woman love in London. She gave a nod, heading back to the kitchens to put some toast on as well as a pot of coffee.

Lucifer had only been sitting at the booth a few minutes before the waitress came up, carrying a cup of coffee as well as a small plate with some toast and jam on it. She set the items down on the table and Lucifer handed over some cash, as well as a hefty tip.

"You're too kind," she said, smiling as she pocked his tip.

Lucifer shook his head and took a drink of the coffee, feeling it shoot right through him. Straight up coffee, nothing but the coffee.

"Could I get you anything else?" she asked. "Perhaps some sugar or cream for the coffee? I don't know how you can drink that stuff bare."

Lucifer smiled and shook his head.

"No," he said. "This will be good enough for me. I drink the coffee bare because it is more effective this way." With that he gave her a nod, and she smiled and walked away.

Lucifer took a bite from the toast and looked out the window next to him, seeing the clouds covering the sun, giving the wet roads a look as if it were still night.

Swallowing the bread, he checked his watch. 6:45. He sighed, taking a drink of the coffee and running a hand through his hair again.

He got up, walking over to the door where the newspapers were kept. He picked up the day's paper, seeing a bold headline popping out.

Two Males Murdered At Local Gay Bar

Lucifer shook his head, reading the headline, and then he heard the little bell on the door ring as someone entered the café. He looked up, and quickly regretted doing so when he saw the face that was looking back at him. Victoria.

"Fuck," he said quietly to himself, and quickly turned away, rolling up the paper and walking back to his booth, feeling her eyes on the back of his neck.

"Lucifer," she said loudly to him. Her voice was angry. She had every right to be angry at him. He had cheated on her...twice.

He cursed quietly at himself again, and then turned, giving her an obviously fake smile.

"Victoria!" he said, putting on the false emotion of surprise and happiness, keeping the fake smile going. "How have you been love?"

"Don't call me love damn it!" she said, louder than he would have liked. He let his smile fade as she walked over to him.

Great, lovely, just what I need.

"Well sorry then," Lucifer said, turning his back on her and walking back to his booth, sitting down and taking a drink of the coffee and opening up the paper to cover his face from Victoria. The day wasn't turning out in his favor.

She followed him over to his booth, her red hair flaring behind her as she sat down across from him, folding her arms over her small chest.

Lucifer sighed quietly to himself, shaking his head as he folded the top of the paper to peer out at her, raising an eyebrow.

"May I help you?" he asked her, his voice carrying an annoyed tone.

"Just..." she spoke quieter now, and her eyes were slightly red.

Oh God, please do not let her start crying.

"Tell me why," she finally said, looking as if she were beginning to get a hold of herself now.

Lucifer growled under his breath and put the paper down, studying her for a moment.

"You want to know why?" he asked her, a little angry. Why did she have to speak with him here, at this instant? No, she couldn't have called him and asked to speak with him, no, that would have been too hard for her. "Well I shall tell you why. I cheated on you because I could. I saw a hot piece of meat coming my way; why not take it when it was so willing?"

Lucifer thought that her jaw was about to drop at his words. No, he wasn't going to lie to her, he was telling her the truth no matter how bad it was. He was normally a gentleman about such things, but he wasn't having the best day, and his night hadn't been the best either; being turned down by what he found to be an incredibly handsome man. He just wasn't in the kindest of moods.

He didn't even see it coming until he felt it. She slapped him forcefully across his face, her green eyes now as red as her hair. She stood up, spitting at him before turning quickly and leaving as fast as she could, tears slipping down her pale cheeks.

She was gone and Lucifer sat there, more shocked than angered. For a moment, he didn't make a single move. Then he reached over to the napkin holder, pulled a napkin out and wiped his face where she had spit on him. If she had been a man, he would have punched her in the face, but he had a certain respect for her, well, for her sex at least. He knew better than to ever hit a woman.

Folding the napkin and setting it down on the table, he felt the waitress come up next to him.

"Everything alright?" she asked him. He could sense the worried tone being carried in her usually cheery voice.

He nodded to her question, not really looking at her though.

She gave a slight nod as well and then turned, leaving Lucifer by himself.

Lucifer reached out and grasped the cup of coffee, bringing it up to his lips and taking in a sip, trying to forget that little experience. He was sure that he wouldn't be hearing from Victoria any time soon, which was quite fine with him. He wasn't too sure why he had gone out with the girl anyway. Perhaps that was a lie, he knew why he had went out with her; she had an amazing body.

"God must hate me," he said under his breath, smirking to himself slightly.

He poked at his toast, not really in the mood to eat anymore. It wasn't like he had planned on eating much this morning anyway; the interruption had barely phased his appetite.

He picked up the paper again and flipped through the pages, sighing softly and then glancing at the watch on his wrist. It was now seven, which was still considerably early. He sighed again and set the paper down, getting up and heading out the door, giving a subtle wave to the waitress as he left the café, hearing the little bell ding with his exit.

Glancing around the street he spotted a few people walking to and fro. They were all probably heading off to their regular jobs, going about their regular lives, oblivious to the not-so-regular things hidden around them.
Sign up to rate and review this story